Start by marking “An Evil Shadow (Val Bosanquet Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
An Evil Shadow (Val Bosanquet Mystery #1)
Read Book

An Evil Shadow (Val Bosanquet Mysteries #1)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  48 reviews
True Detective fans should read this book, the first of the Val Bosanquet mystery series. Val, a former New Orleans detective, is offered a job as Chief of a campus PD. A Haitian child killer he helped convict for the murder of her mother has just been enrolled at the university. Val stumbles across new evidence. Corporate corruption and Voodoo make for a volatile mix in t ...more
ebook
Published March 9th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published March 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about An Evil Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Evil Shadow

Valerie
I really enjoyed parts of this book, a thrilling police mystery combined with Haitian history which I found interesting.
BUT I have to say the spelling mistakes distracted me and it got complicated with the amount of people to keep track of.
I hope the rest of the series is edited better and not so hard to follow.
Kristen
In the first installment of the Val Bosanquet Mystery series by AJ Davidson, An Evil Shadow, we were introduced to his wild and wacky world. Set in New Orleans, Louisiana, Valentino "Val" Bosanquet was a former NOPD detective and lost his finger, a decade ago, to one of his cases. When his brother Marcus asked him to step in to be the interim security chief for the University of New Orleans, when Marie Duvall, a young Haitian girl who lost her mother due a brutal crime, she was accused of the cr ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Good premise, very well researched which impressed me from a 2 star toward a 3 star rating, however;
Soelling, even syntax mistakes distracted me soo much it actually impacted my reading time. Yes the plot is good, predictable but nonetheless good. However some character formations were brilliant while surprisingly the main character is hardly developed and shows little growth.

I know my review sound very negative but this author needs a good line editor and a few beta readers to challenge the pr
Bob
This was one of the most forgettable books i've read recently. I finished it this afternoon and there is absolutely nothing that jumps out at me as something i'll remember beyond the point where i begin another book. The plot was a jumble of murders, voodoo, and cops of all types. The main character is a college campus police chief that acts nothing at all like real campus cops. On the scale of law enforcement offices, campus cops generally rate just above mall cops. This one acted like he was N ...more
James
"An Evil Shadow" is a very good police thriller. The primary characteristic of this book is entertainment, but I also learned much I didn't already know about Haiti and Voodoo. Until the last several chapters, the story moves at a perfect pace and most of the characters are well developed. The weak development of Angie's character is one of the exceptions, and the pace seems to be a little rushed at the end. The rapid, but unexplained, change in Val's and Angie's relationship at the end is one s ...more
Sheila Myers
I'm not a big fan of crime fiction in which the investigator goes at a case with a lone wolf attitude and breaks all of the established procedures even if there are compelling reasons for him to do so. That being said, I did enjoy "An Evil Shadow". AJ Davidson did a good job of pulling together various plot elements to write a story that kept me interested until the very end of the book.
R.L.
A girl who supposedly killed her voodoo witch mother and spent time in J jail is out and wants to attend college. The Haiti mafia seem at once to be fascinated with her and want to kill her. The detective who testified against her is up against it trying to decide to keep her safe, and now has doubts about her role in the slaying.
Tamara!
I give it a MEH. I see others have noticed and noted the typo's, that was distracting. Over all, just not my type of story, typical predictable cop story. I was hoping it would be a different non-predictable cop story. I did give 3 stars cuz it was free, so feel I didn't lose anything other than 2 hours of my afternoon.
Susan
Overall it was an interesting plot premise with some voodoo and the setting of New Orleans flavoring the storyline. A lot of characters to keep track of, too. A couple of plot holes made this a little less satisfying than it could have been.
Shannon
Got this as a cheap read on my e-reader and had no expectations going into it. Thought it would be a good summer read and was pleasantly surprised by the writing. I will try another and see if Davidson keeps it up.
Tif Mulally
Though I enjoyed the premise of the book, I found that the book read rather slow. I also found that some of the supporting characters were not developed very well- I had to keep going back to remind myself who was who.
Jeff Youngblood
Pretty good read. Closer editing would have been a plus. Many times "it" was printed when it likely should have been "if" Many other errors that appear to just be typos in the second half of the book. But, it was a good, easy, enjoyable read.
Nicole
Awesome read about corporate greed and political corruption set against the backdrop of New Orleans. Rich in New Orleans culture - this was a great murder mystery that left you guessing until the last page.
Kerry  sullivan
I enjoyed this. The plot was complicated but I was able to follow it, but it was not easy at times to keep all the players straight. It was worth the effort though.
Jamie Eastman
Not bad

This book wasn't bad, I would definitely read another book by this author, and with this character, it was a pretty decent mystery.
Ila
I actually liked this book except I do not understand why there were so many editing errors. Do kindle books get edited????????????/
Barb
FOR THE AUTHOR: There are numerous typos in this book. I would be happy to share them with you. Please contact me at proofer33@yahoo.com
Glenda
A good action book, no profanity or needless sex scenes and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I want to read more in this series.
Sharon
The book was a good mystery and the presence of Voodoo and the making of a Zombie added a lot of additional interest.
Yvonna
This compelling story has interesting characters and plot, but the book needs a good editor.
Dianne
I enjoyed it for the most part--I like the detective novel and it only lags a little.
Kelli Clifford
Not a bad book but it gets a little weird at the end.
Jeannine Stewart
I would have enjoyed this Kindle book more if it had less typos and grammatical errors. There were so many that it was very distracting. I thought the plot was a little shaky but I liked it enough to read more in this series.
Dawn shirk
Excellent Book

If you really enjoy reading a great mystery full of evil murderous suspects. Then this is the book for you. It's got great twists and turns.
Kimberly Mussell
There was a good story line; however it seems they did not use spell check!
Marti
Val Bosanquet is a New Orleans police officer who saw that a young Haitian girl was convicted of the ax murder of her mother, but it seems that may be wrong. She wants to go to college, and Val changes jobs, going to work for the University Police Department. All along the way, people are getting murdered, and otherwise killed. His ex-wife, who is now involved with his brother, thinks that she might like to get back together with him. Problems, problems. This must be part of a series, since it i ...more
Kristine Favolise carder
The spelling errors and overlooked misused words are hard to forgive. The storyline was so weak it was lucky this was a short book. Otherwise I would have just given up.
Sharon Kennedy
Found this very average.
Susan
A GOOD MURDER MYSTERY KEEPS YOU GUESSING UNTIL THE END
Graham Knight
A reasonable and fun read. Nothing earth shattering but an enjoyable diversion.
  • Bone Dust & Beginnings (Alexa's Travels)
  • Stolen in Paradise
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Fairwood
  • Bad Guys (A Gibbons and Tozzi Novel, #1)
  • Necessary Evils
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • The Riddles of Hillgate (Z & C Mysteries #1)
  • The Nostradamus File (The Project, #6)
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer #2)
  • Red Tide
  • The Price of Innocence
  • Into the End (Into the End, #1)
  • Chill Run
  • Vampire Apocalypse Books 1 - 3
  • A Provencal Mystery
  • Deadly Magic (A Grace Holliday Mystery, #1)
AJ Davidson is a traditionally published author and playwright, who, in Spring 2010, made the switch to Indie. He is keen to explore the potential of a rapidly changing publishing world, and is enjoying the closer contact with his readers that e-books afford.

AJ has a degree in Social Anthropology. Married for 29 years, he has two children, a Harrier hound and a cat called Dusty.

Not one for stayin
More about A.J. Davidson...

Val Bosanquet Mysteries (4 books)
  • Death Sentence (Val Bosanquet Mystery #2)
  • Moon on the Bayou (Val Bosanquet Mystery #3)
  • Sandman (Val Bosanquet Mystery #4)
Death Sentence (Val Bosanquet Mystery #2) Moon on the Bayou (Val Bosanquet Mystery #3) Wounded Tiger Churchill's Queen Sandman (Val Bosanquet Mystery #4)

“order a bottle of wine, drink a toast to his wife’s pregnancy, and forget all about Jackson for a few hours. Instead, he paid his bill and headed out. The warrant for Logjam was a month old and no dealer could stay out of sight much longer than that before his customers migrated to a new supplier. Logjam would have resurfaced by now. The first place he visited was a washout. So was the second. He moved on to a zydeco joint. It stank of flat beer and stale smoke. The customers paid him little heed as he nursed a Canadian Club and ginger at the bar. He hadn’t long to wait until he spotted who held the concession. The bartender handed three customers a complimentary book of matches each as he set down their drinks. Two of them already had cigarettes lit, their lighters squared neatly on top of their cigarette packets. Val called him over. “I’m looking for a friend of mine.” The man eyeballed him. “A guy like you has no friends.” “His name’s Logjam. Have you seen him recently?” The bartender wiped the zinc counter with a sponge cloth. “Never heard of him. Does he come in here?” Val set his shield on the bar. “Have you” 0 likes