Start by marking “Only What We Could Carry: The Japanese American Internment Experience” as Want to Read:
Only What We Could Carry: The Japanese American Internment Experience

Only What We Could Carry: The Japanese American Internment Experience

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An Important Classic in Heyday's California

In the wake of wartime panic that followed the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor, more than 100,000 Japanese Americans residing along the West Coast of the United States were uprooted from their homes and their communities and banished to internment camps throughout the country.

Through personal documents, art, and propaganda, Only

Published August 1st 2000 by Heyday

To ask other readers questions about Only What We Could Carry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only What We Could Carry

In The Neighborhood by Peter LovenheimA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Worst Hard Time by Timothy EganLies My Teacher Told Me by James W. LoewenGrowing Up Native American by Patricia Riley
American
13th out of 111 books — 6 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollWhat the Moon Said by Gayle RosengrenIf Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits? by Erma BombeckWhat Do People Do All Day? by Richard Scarry
"What" in Titles
137th out of 142 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Sep 29, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite kinds of history books- it's basically a book of primary sources with some short context/explanatory essays. It includes oral histories, poetry, artwork, official documents, diaries and excerpts from memoirs of people who were affected by the Japanese Internment during World War II. Most of the material is from Japanese Americans, but there are accounts from people who worked in the camps, from people who were not Japanese, but were also arrested or interned, and from ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 25, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is an unusual book on the internment process, as it consists of information, but also includes poetry, artwork, photographs, and personal remembrances, making it a very fascinating work.

The book starts right off noting that the U.S. suspended due process and put people of Japanese descent into what amounted to be prisons without any formal charges or trials, much less appeals. The book deals with the war years only.

One very interesting section is on editorials, which includes some from the
Lisa
May 14, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Of all the books that I have read concerning the internment of Japanese Americans this is the best and if you only have time to read one this should be it. Includes diary entries, personal essays, newspaper & magazine article reprints, reprints of cartons from this time, transcripts of speeches given by FDR & Eleanor Roosevelt.
James P.
Jun 21, 2016 James P. rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who plans to vote in the November 2016 election. Herding people into internment camps because they looked like our enemy? It happened. It was America's shame in WWII. Read this book so that it will not be our shame in the 21st Century.
Rebeka
Mar 05, 2013 Rebeka rated it really liked it
Only What We Could Carry is a collection of writings documenting the lives of the Japanese Issei (first generation immigrants), Nisei (second generation, American born), and Kibei (American born but educated in Japan). It includes short stories, memoirs, poetry, art, historical documents, letters, etc. Each piece of writing or art communicates to the audience the suffrage of people of Japanese descent during World War II. The book speaks of the internment experience and how it changed the lives ...more
JLib
Apr 01, 2014 JLib rated it liked it
Shelves: i-give-up
Though I understand why it was needed, the technical parts of this book (official government documents, technical jargon) kind of 'killed my buzz', for lack of better wording. I found myself skipping through to the actual diary entries which I found much more intriguing and helped to paint a better picture of that time.
Crystal gordon
As a result of wartime panic that followed the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor more than 100,000 Japanese Americans residing along the West Coast of the United States were moved from their homes and their communities and sent away to internment camps throughout the country.

Through personal documents, art, and propaganda, Only What We Could Carry expresses through words, art, and unforgettable stories, the fear, confusion and anger of the camp experience. The only collection of stories of its kin
Ted Chen
Jun 16, 2008 Ted Chen rated it really liked it
Nice collection of essays from former internees in Japanese Internment camps. Also includes essays from people who were not interned, but had contact with the camps. Good for any other history nerds out there.
Chris Antonsen
Aug 12, 2013 Chris Antonsen rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of (reprinted) primary materials concerning 1940s American policies imprisoning Japanese and Japanese-Americans on American soil.
Alan
Jan 08, 2008 Alan rated it liked it
I collect books on Japanese internment. This one is OK, not a stand out for me.
Shawna
May 06, 2013 Shawna rated it really liked it
Very interesting nonfiction collection on the Japanese Internment Experience.
Maria
Nov 07, 2008 Maria is currently reading it
I have to read this book for next book report...ughh
Preston
Mar 18, 2013 Preston rated it really liked it
no veteran should go without reading this one
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Vasiliy Sushko
Vasiliy Sushko marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Marjorie Roy
Marjorie Roy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Raus
Raus marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
D
D marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Amy Deprey
Amy Deprey marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Narnia
Narnia marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Stevie
Stevie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Impounded: Dorothea Lange and the Censored Images of Japanese American Internment
  • Looking Like the Enemy: My Story of Imprisonment in Japanese American Internment Camps
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
  • Itsuka
  • Thin Wood Walls
  • Nisei Daughter
  • The Floating World
  • Troublemaker and Other Saints
  • Seventeen Syllables and Other Stories (Revised and Expanded)
  • The Power of Place: Geography, Destiny, and Globalization's Rough Landscape