Start by marking “Face to Face with Evil: Conversations with Ian Brady” as Want to Read:
Face to Face with Evil: Conversations with Ian Brady

Face to Face with Evil: Conversations with Ian Brady

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Ian Brady is one of the most notorious and reviled serial killers in Britain. With his co-conspirator, Myra Hindley, he perpetrated the Moors Murders in which five children were abducted, assaulted, and murdered. Dr. Chris Cowley is a forensic psychologist who is in the unique position of having exclusive access to Brady. For six years, he has been conducting groundbreakin...more
Published March 1st 2011 by John Blake (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Face to Face with Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face to Face with Evil

Shannon Humphreys
Cowley seems a bit too impressed with Ian Brady, in all honesty. I realise he had to make him feel comfortable to get anything out of him, but Brady seems VERY comfortable, while Cowley seems to get little, if anything, new or honest out of him.
Sophie Stokes
I am glad to be rid of this book.
What a load of self-indulgent rubbish.
Cowley even dares to call his work 'research'. This book has a serious case of 'not even wrong' (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_even...)

"2 + zebra ÷ glockenspiel = homeopathy works!"

Firstly, the title is misleading. As another reviewer said, it feels like the entire book is just based on maybe 4 sides of A4 of actual conversation he's had with Brady.

Cowley is tremendously anti-psychiatry, and, although I may be biased, he...more
Lynda Kelly
This is subtitled "Conversations With Ian Brady".......but although he visited him for around 6 years I don't think he ever got a lot out of Brady. He still plays his cards very close to his chest and it seems he only agreed to see this doctor so he'd highlight the appalling conditions at Ashworth Hospital in Liverpool where's he's detained.
He's been forcefed for a decade or more now and apparently you can't forcefeed a prisoner/patient if they're sane, only if they're mad. In all the letters he...more
Alina
The following is a response to a review of the book on a different site, entitled "A Fair Review"; it seemed to me unjust - as though every single person who has commented negatively on this book was being irrational. I'm sure this wasn't the intention, however, but I had these general grievances to offload.

"This review was well-written and you've obviously given it some thought. Also, it's good to see someone who's actually read the whole thing instead of those who just skip to the Brady pages....more
Georgie Rose
This book doesn't really tell Ian Brady's story as to how and why the author thinks that Ian committed the crimes that he did, but it is more of a textbook introduction to Criminology and where it could lead you.
As a student with a vast interest in Serial Killers, and the Criminological world in general, I found this book to be an interesting read. It may not be very long, but the sections are intriguing and helped me to gain more of an impression of what Criminology and profiling was about.
If y...more
Kipi
A book about Cowley's conversations and correspondence with the serial killer Ian Brady.
Interesting read for true crime -buffs. Cowley discusses other cases as well as the Moor Murders, which brings depth to the Brady&Hindley case too. Some parts are quite common-sense, but other are more in-depth.
If your knowledge on criminal psychology is vast, there might not be that much new in this book, but worth a try anyway.
Karl
Found this to be pretty poor. The title is deliberately misleading and chooses to make is as titillating as possible while it's a supposedly clinical study into the mind of serial killers, not just Brady.

It fails there too. It's repetitive and occasionally incorrect.

The conversations with Brady are interesting and I found his level of intellect to be a surprise. He's an incredibly bright man. I wasn't expecting that.
Julie Rowe
Been a couple of months since I read this. Fairly short but a little difficult to get in to at the start. Interesting but reading what he said left me cold.
Amanda
Excellent.
ian f.
ian f. added it
Sep 21, 2014
Aimee Carter
Aimee Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 31, 2014
Ana Dibujos
Ana Dibujos is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Emmy Groendyke
Emmy Groendyke marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Apr 06, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Calum Hood
Calum Hood marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Nicole Le Fevre
Nicole Le Fevre marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Abbie Duncan
Abbie Duncan is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2014
Ray
Ray added it
Mar 13, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Elliot Mclaughlin
Elliot Mclaughlin marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jamespc
Jamespc marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Oxford Colour Dictionary & Thesaurus Medical Ethics, Ordinary Concepts and Ordinary Lives: Ordinary Concepts, Ordinary Lives Guns Lies And Spies The Oxford Minireference Dictionary And Thesaurus The Oxford Color Dictionary & Thesaurus