Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist #3)

4.55  ·  Rating Details ·  10,152 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Accompanied by their bodyguard, Alex Louis Armstrong, our heroes seek out their closest childhood friend, mechanic Winry Rockbell, to fix their battered "auto-mail" bodyparts. Soon their quest for the Philosopher's Stone takes them to the great central library, where the Stone's formula may be hidden...if the mysterious figure named Lust doesn't get there first! But the se ...more
Published September 13th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published September 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoBleach, Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
Good Manga
45th out of 517 books — 209 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
5th out of 72 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola  Reviewer
Apr 04, 2015 Lola Reviewer rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Slow and not as interesting as the previous volume, but still an enjoyable read.
Antonio

Me siento tan identificado con este personaje...
Kogiopsis
Aug 23, 2011 Kogiopsis rated it it was amazing
I'd honestly forgotten what took place in this volume, and even though the pacing felt smooth while I was reading it, afterwards I was surprised to note that the Lab 5 plot started here - somehow it was all tied up in the events of the fourth volume for me, so realizing that I had recalled incorrectly was a tad bit jarring.

That being said, it doesn't really reach its fruition until the next few chapters, so the highlight of this volume is definitely the chapter about Ed and Al returning to Resem
Nərmin
Wow! Great adventure continues and I can't take my eyes of it! I loved Winry and Granny! The interaction between Winry and Edward was so enjoyable and funny. I feel the beginning of a great love between them!))
Radwa
Jun 08, 2016 Radwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Ahhh.. the Philosopher's Stone!

The main focus of this volume, and I'm amused by the yet another variation of the stone in this manga. Things seem to get more complicated for the Elric brothers with every issue, but I'm enjoying the fights and the different aspects of alchemy. Also, just when I was complaining about the lack of female characters, we get that mechanic girl (winry? I forgot her name!) Anyhow, I think she will have a bigger role in upcoming volumes, and I can't wait!
King Haddock
Aug 16, 2011 King Haddock rated it it was amazing
Chapter Nine is where Fullmetal Alchemist finally fully clicked for me. Before, I was like, "yay, it's fun, it has a good premise" and that sort of basic thing. But chapter nine, where Ed, Al, and Armstrong go back to the Elric brother's village to repair the two brothers, absolutely made me smile and laugh and just enjoy the characters for being who they are.

Following chapter nine, the plot continues smoothly. Whereas a lot of manga books I have read feel slightly disjointed between volumes and
নাজমুল হাসান
This time the volume ends with a cliffhanger. Edward fights a really strong opponent and is left in a bad shape in front of more strong opponents. The identity of the the ones behind Philosopher's stone was just about to be revealed, but at the last moment prevented by the mysterious duo of Lust and Envy. Although the truth behind the philosopher's stone was revealed in this volume, but the truth behind the truth is still shrouded in mystery. Also the fate of Scar is uncertain after his fight ag ...more
Mike
I'm still trying to figure out why this has captured the popular imagination so much. It's good, don't get me wrong, but the good parts of it tend to be a little more subtle and understated than most mangas. I'd expect this to have a dedicated cult following, not for it to be one of the most popular mangas of the last 20 years. But whatever the case, I'm enjoying this series so far. I like that an overarching plot is starting to come together a bit more. And Elric and Alphonse are very interesti ...more
Eduard

"Our regulars are here!"

"Ah ha ha! Welcome back!"

---

"Major Armstrong, we're here to escort you!"

---

"Well, then...let's see your skills."

---

"Once upon a time, in Central City, there was a butcher named Barry. Barry loved to chop up meat more than anything in the world."
Hannah Heath
Apr 28, 2016 Hannah Heath rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I'm still on the fence about this series. I like it, but I don't love it. So far the plot feels more like a subplot that's building towards something big. Which maybe it is, which I guess is fine.
Becky
Feb 14, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Winry is fantastic, but mostly I want more Hawkeye.
Ed's okay too, I guess.
Aleixie
Jan 04, 2012 Aleixie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Oh whow, whow, whow. Where is the rest?

Books should not end in the middle. It's not fair!

Btw, I love the brothers, they make me laugh with their personalities. :)

It's epic!
DJ
4.5/5 Rating Originally posted at https://mylifemybooksmyescape.wordpre...

This was an INTENSE volume!

These volumes are definitely getting better as the story goes on. Once again, each of these chapters were verycohesive; starting off with some nice plot background, to a little bit of a set up for the final scene, and then a bigaction scene at the end. This volume felt like one solid piece, and level above the previous two.

The Elric brothers are now back into their hometown to meet their mechanic
Janeen-san
Mar 23, 2011 Janeen-san rated it really liked it
Wow! I was totally blown away by this book. Thanks to my friends Trent and Reid, I now know how to read manga! It was because of them I was inspired to go to the library, pick up a Japanese manga, and see if I could read it the proper way, which is right to left. At first it was sort of confusing, but I soon got used to it.
Thanks guys!!!
Without you guys, Reid and Trent, I wouldn't have know how to read manga and I probably wouldn't have tried!!!!!

When I arrived at the library...What do you know
Katie  (Books and Katie)
Jul 31, 2014 Katie (Books and Katie) rated it it was amazing
It brings joy in sorrow, victory in battle, light to darkness, life to the dead. That is the power of the blood-red jewel which men honor with the name "The Philosopher's Stone."

Review:

Because there is still a serial killer at large, who is targeting state alchemists, Ed and Al are assigned a body guard... who pretty much acts like a giant teddy bear. I loved how is character is super large- and very tough- but he has such a soft spot when it comes to the young brothers, and despite how annoye
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Sep 04, 2016 Roxana-Mălina Chirilă rated it really liked it
I like the drawings, I like where the plot is heading, I love the silliness here and there, the small details (Roy Mustang's hiding alchemical secrets in notes about his dates) and the creepiness creeping in at the corners.
Hope
Jan 22, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing
Fullmetal Alchemist in general is just so great. The characters are the best. The plot is crazy weird but sooo good. The themes are deep and poignant and I get something new out of it each time I revisit it. 10/10
Mriveravelez4
May 29, 2015 Mriveravelez4 rated it really liked it
The Elric brothers wanted to find the philosopher's stone and know what it can do, but once they found it they had to fight evil souls that protected it. So once they beat them the evil souls had to tell them about the philosopher's stone but he was too late. Then right when the soul was supposed to tell them someone killed the soul. Fullmetal alchemist is about stubbornness, love, and courage.
Olgalijo
Jan 25, 2014 Olgalijo rated it really liked it
What I have been finding most interesting about manga have been the all too human characters with their own agendas being confronted by difficult ethical dilemmas, and this volume is a fine example of this.
Eva Domínguez
Sep 04, 2016 Eva Domínguez rated it it was amazing
Me encantan las viñetas del final xD
Shaun Ponting
Aug 19, 2015 Shaun Ponting rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novel
Enjoyed book #3 and how the plot opens up. I like how anyone who (view spoiler) Looking forward to book #4.
Jonathan Mirus
Mar 22, 2016 Jonathan Mirus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fullmetal alchemist Vol. 3 (2002) en este tercer volumen Hiromu Arakawa de nuevo cuenta nos da al inicio una mini lista de personajes junto con el pequeño resumen de la trama.

El tercer volumen consiste en 4 capítulos y un extra

009 El hogar donde tu familia te espera
010 La piedra filosofal
011 Los dos guardias
012 La definición de “humano”
Extra. Festival militar

(view spoiler)
Yue
Nov 06, 2015 Yue rated it liked it
More creepy characters started to showing up: the 2 transmuted robots? who were really 3 brothers -assassins- when they were alive.

The only light moment may be when Ed and Al were at Granny's home, getting fixed. Oh, and when this bookworm Seska helped them with a book. (OMG to burn a library with thousands and thousands of books! Sacrilege!)
ArdnAskelA
Mar 04, 2012 ArdnAskelA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dans ce tome-ci, il n'y a pas tellement d'actions mais plutôt d'informations. Enfin, c'est ce que j'en ai pensé en tout cas. A part peut-être vers la fin, là on pourrait dire qu'il y a de l'action. Mais c'est pas pour autant que ça m'a désintéressé ! Non, pas du tout. J'attends de lire la suite avec impatience.
Camilla (Lettrice In Soffitta)
Con il terzo volume della saga vi sono notevoli progressi nella storia ma vi è un "ma". Vengono attuate importanti rivelazioni, vengono introdotti nuovi personaggi ma manca qualcosa. Tutto deve ancora prendere una sua definizione. Un passo alla volta tutto si avvia verso una storia che deve essere ancora svelata ma ci si perde in combattimento pseudofilosfici e dal moralismo spicciolo. I cattivi sono cattivi, cliché e utili al caso. I fratello Elric non sono profondo come dovrebbero essere. Dopo ...more
Wafaa
Feb 13, 2016 Wafaa rated it it was amazing
it's entertaining,fun and fast read
I love how it give more about the philosopher's stone and how it made and
it has its share of action I love the direction it headed it it's interesting and I really want the next volume
Mrs W
Oct 25, 2014 Mrs W rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Because the serial killer is still at large, Edward and Alphonse gain a bodyguard as they take a detour from their Philosopher’s Stone hunt to get Edward’s automail repaired. Thus, we are introduced to Granny Pinako and Winry Rockbell, important characters in Edward’s and Alphonse’s past. We get a glimpse into the boys’ last moments in their hometown and the beginning of their quest.

Following a tip they’d received in the previous volume, the boys later travel to a library in Central, where they
Mal
Mar 12, 2016 Mal rated it it was amazing
I like how the first time we see the Fuhrer is in an extra XD wow.
Squidalz
Jan 27, 2009 Squidalz rated it it was amazing
I went blind of over exposure to pure awesomeness. ^-^
Gage
Oct 04, 2013 Gage rated it it was amazing
i thought that it was a very interesting book
  • Bleach, Volume 21
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 05
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 14 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #14)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du
More about Hiromu Arakawa...

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)

“I'm tired of this. It's like, just when I think our goal is within reach, it slips right through our fingers. It's happened time and again. Now, when we finally in our grasp, the truth slaps us in the face.” 91 likes
“DONT CALL ME SMALL!!!!!!” 56 likes