Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist #3)

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  6,217 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Accompanied by their bodyguard, Alex Louis Armstrong, our heroes seek out their closest childhood friend, mechanic Winry Rockbell, to fix their battered "auto-mail" bodyparts. Soon their quest for the Philosopher's Stone takes them to the great central library, where the Stone's formula may be hidden...if the mysterious figure named Lust doesn't get there first! But the se...more
Published September 13th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published September 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
good manga
44th out of 454 books — 161 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 27 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 by Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 by Hiromu Arakawa
My Graphic Novels and Manga
8th out of 89 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Anila
I'd honestly forgotten what took place in this volume, and even though the pacing felt smooth while I was reading it, afterwards I was surprised to note that the Lab 5 plot started here - somehow it was all tied up in the events of the fourth volume for me, so realizing that I had recalled incorrectly was a tad bit jarring.

That being said, it doesn't really reach its fruition until the next few chapters, so the highlight of this volume is definitely the chapter about Ed and Al returning to Resem...more
Zarakoda
Chapter Nine is where Fullmetal Alchemist finally fully clicked for me. Before, I was like, "yay, it's fun, it has a good premise" and that sort of basic thing. But chapter nine, where Ed, Al, and Armstrong go back to the Elric brother's village to repair the two brothers, absolutely made me smile and laugh and just enjoy the characters for being who they are.

Following chapter nine, the plot continues smoothly. Whereas a lot of manga books I have read feel slightly disjointed between volumes and...more
Janeen-san
Wow! I was totally blown away by this book. Thanks to my friends Trent and Reid, I now know how to read manga! It was because of them I was inspired to go to the library, pick up a Japanese manga, and see if I could read it the proper way, which is right to left. At first it was sort of confusing, but I soon got used to it.
Thanks guys!!!
Without you guys, Reid and Trent, I wouldn't have know how to read manga and I probably wouldn't have tried!!!!!

When I arrived at the library...What do you know...more
Jenny
Jan 06, 2011 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga lovers
Recommended to Jenny by: SHINIGAMI-RULEZ
Katie (Books and Katie)
It brings joy in sorrow, victory in battle, light to darkness, life to the dead. That is the power of the blood-red jewel which men honor with the name "The Philosopher's Stone."

Review:

Because there is still a serial killer at large, who is targeting state alchemists, Ed and Al are assigned a body guard... who pretty much acts like a giant teddy bear. I loved how is character is super large- and very tough- but he has such a soft spot when it comes to the young brothers, and despite how annoyed...more
Olgalijo
What I have been finding most interesting about manga have been the all too human characters with their own agendas being confronted by difficult ethical dilemmas, and this volume is a fine example of this.
Sakura Yue Michaelis
More creepy characters started to showing up: the 2 transmuted robots? who were really 3 brothers -assassins- when they were alive.

The only light moment may be when Ed and Al were at Granny's home, getting fixed. Oh, and when this bookworm Seska helped them with a book. (OMG to burn a library with thousands and thousands of books! Sacrilege!)
ArdnAskelA
Dans ce tome-ci, il n'y a pas tellement d'actions mais plutôt d'informations. Enfin, c'est ce que j'en ai pensé en tout cas. A part peut-être vers la fin, là on pourrait dire qu'il y a de l'action. Mais c'est pas pour autant que ça m'a désintéressé ! Non, pas du tout. J'attends de lire la suite avec impatience.
Khrystina
Oh whow, whow, whow. Where is the rest?

Books should not end in the middle. It's not fair!

Btw, I love the brothers, they make me laugh with their personalities. :)

It's epic!
Miss Clark
Buse
Tam yorum Kutsal Yorumcu'da

Çelik Simyacı'nın her ciltte daha da güzelleşmesine bir türlü anlam veremiyorum. Muhteşemliğin sınırlarını zorluyor bu manga serisi.
Animeleri aşırı sevmeme rağmen mangayı tercih eden biriyim; o yüzden Fullmetal Alchemist ilaç gibi geliyor bana.

Bu ciltte her saniye bir şey oldu, az daha olayların ucunu kaçırıyordum -huuu *hızlı nefes alırken, elinin tersiyle alnındaki teri siler*
Geleneğimi -ve Ed'e hakaret etmenin verdiği hazzı- öldürmeyerek, yoruma "Edward her zama...more
Yao Rui Huang
I went blind of over exposure to pure awesomeness. ^-^
Gage
i thought that it was a very interesting book
Rachel
In lieu of a plot summary for each of the volumes (as they do tend to run together in my memory), I've decided on a brief character summary. Perhaps the character will be relevant to the volume in question, but perhaps it won't. It's anyone's game.

This time, I'll go with the simpler of the two characters on the cover: Alex Louis Armstrong, AKA the big shirtless guy in the background.

Major Armstrong, the Strong-Arm Alchemist, the third child and only son of the venerable Armstrong family, is a wa...more
Marie-Josee Larouche
I really enjoyed this one. The readers got to see where the Elric brothers were born, and see his "adoptive family", their mechanics for their metal limbs. It very inspiring to see people that are not even related to the Elric brothers, act like family towards them. That was really nice to see.

In this story we get to find out more about their story of when they were little, what they did after losing their mother and trying to transmute to get their mother back, but failing. The struggle and des...more
Kimberly
Real rating 4.5 Stars

So, the last volume ended on a slight cliffhanger and this one doesn't really acknowledge it until the middle of it. Which is fine with me, because in the beginning it introduces some more characters. the new characters are from the Elric brother's past, so we also get a better look on there past and how they got to where they are today.

The plot in this book is really good. In the beginning not much is happening, but I was okay with that, because like I said it tells you som...more
Tiffany
An addicting manga with unforgettable characters and enough twists to build a story labyrinth that you will WANT to be trapped in forever! I was delighted in practicing the equilalent exchange of forfeiting a few minutes of my free time in exchange for this unforgettable storyline.
(view spoiler)...more
Bitsy
Volume 3 has the Elric brothers finally arrive in their hometown to visit their mechanic Winry Rockbell. Their bodyguard Alexander Louis Armstrong learns along with us more details about the brothers’ past and how they came to lose their limbs, gain their new metal bodies and decide to join the military and never turn back. It’s nice to finally get some more back story on the main characters and also find out just how committed they are to their present course.

After their repairs Ed and Al retur...more
Maggie
Mangaphan
This is one of my favorite early volumes because it introduces some of my favorite characters in Winry, Pinako, Sheska, Maria Ross and Denny Brosh. Humor and drama continues to be an easy mix for Arakawa but it is her distinctive characters, characters that you think will disappear but she never forgets, that is something I really appreciated.

Ed & Al return to Resembol to be fixed by his auto mail mechanics and family friends, Pinako Rockbell and Winry, her granddaughter. In quick succession...more
Mary
I like that we get more details about Ed and Al when they visit their hometown to get patched up. Winry and her grandma, Pinako, were great fun, and I love how welcoming they were to the brothers. (Also, I love how egalitarian this series is regarding gender roles: there are women in the military, the villains are a mixed group of men and women, and no one blinks an eye that the engineers and metalworkers who help repair the Elric brothers are two women.)

The secret of the Philosopher's Stone is...more
Sarah Sammis
I had been reading manga regularly back about five or six years ago but I lost the momentum. Part of my problem was I really didn't want to have to buy volume after volume for something I was reading so quickly and the old branch of the library didn't have enough shelf space to show off their collection. The library has since moved to a much larger location and I've found that mangas make the perfect quick reads for when I need a break from my library science homework.

I currently have six (at la...more
Jody Mena
Great book! There was more action in this one than the previous ones, and the artwork seemed much better to me. The plot of this one was great, I love the twist that the Philosopher's Stone is made out of people, it creates a great internal conflict for the brothers. I also enjoy the internal conflict that Barry the Butcher creates for Alphonse, telling him that he might not be a real person. I wasn't sure at first, but now I am: I definitely like the Fullmetal Alchemist manga better than the an...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Ed and Al are still looking for any info on the Philosopher's Stone but when they think they found something, it turns out that maybe they rather had not found out at all. All the while the mysterious Lust and Glutton are keeping an eye on the brothers. Another good suspenseful read in the series.
Mysti
Jun 06, 2014 Mysti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
This volume is one of my favourites. It works so well. This is the most perfect manga series I have ever read though, so of course I would say that! Still, it's really great, you should definitely read it.
Riv
Jul 02, 2012 Riv added it
Shelves: 3rd-of-series
I don't like the Strongarm Alchemist's portrayal that much; I liked him much more in the anime, but he's very entertaining. I absolutely loved Winry and Pinako, as well as Sheska. This book is short, it takes maybe an hour to read, and it still managed to show us Ed's humanity.
The anime actually brought in one of the characters previously, so it was much more interesting there, watching someone be brought back.

I absolutely adore Arakawa-san's (I probably committed some sort of Japanese grammar a...more
Laurianne Uy
Winry's re-introduction, Seska's introduction, all the wonderful interaction with Armstrong and the other guys. I LOVE THIS SERIES>
Otto
This is about where i stopped watching the anime, still good but nothing amazing I would tell all my friends about.
Bennett Rosner
If I could give this book a 4.5 rating I would, but sadly this rating option does not exist.
Jade Johnson
This comic is super good. I love it I love the whole series but I especially love this one (which is what made me cave in a and actually buy a physical copy of it) it really sets up the plot for the rest of the series it gives you all the background information of the main heroes which had here to been unavailable to you and lets you finally know the secret of the philosophers stone which will become a main plot point for the rest of the series. Lots of tension and lots of sweet moments as well...more
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 04: Carnival (D.Gray-man, #4)
  • Bleach Volume 10: Tattoo on the Sky (Bleach #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: To Each His Own Bonds (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
Hiromu Arakawa, 荒川 弘, is a Japanese mangaka famous for the series Fullmetal Alchemist. Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa.

Born on May 8, 1973 in Tokachi, Hokkaidō, Japan, Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm with three elder sisters and a younger brother. Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and during her school years, she would often draw on textbooks. After gr...more
More about Hiromu Arakawa...
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 02 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 07 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 05 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 06 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)

“I'm tired of this. It's like, just when I think our goal is within reach, it slips right through our fingers. It's happened time and again. Now, when we finally in our grasp, the truth slaps us in the face.” 81 likes
“DONT CALL ME SMALL!!!!!!” 53 likes