Start by marking “Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)” as Want to Read:
Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)

Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo #4)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Atomic Robo faces an invasion from the Vampire Dimension, finds a giant kaiju monster attack in the heart of Tokyo, detours to the South Pacific to battle wits with Dr. Dinosaur, then comes face-to-face with his newest enemy: his oldest enemy Collects the Atomic Robo and the Revenge of the Vampire Dimension mini-series, the Free Comic Book Day 2009 story Why Atomic Robo Ha ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Red 5 Comics (first published August 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness

Peter Derk
This book warranted the creation of a shelf for Pete's Top of 2013 reads. That's most of what you need to know right there.

Atomic Robo, always an excellent book with perfect art and hilarious dialogue, is in rare form. If you STILL haven't read Atomic Robo for some reason, like perhaps you only read the stuff I post on Goodreads because you are so thoroughly shocked and amazed that one man could so perfectly feel the exact, precise opposite of how you feel, I would still tell you to get this vol
Mike
Silly, bizarre, laugh out loud funny. And frigging smart - granted I'm way far away from my undergrad degree in science, but this Clevinger writes like he actually gets the difference between an ohm and a muon.

I got it - this is a comics equivalent of The Big Bang Theory! I gotta hand it to the boy - if he can keep up this level of clever, zany, funny then he has a very long career ahead of him (assuming he can afford to slum in comics writing for long).

Doctor Dinosaur was my stand-out favourite
I have a soft spot for Dr. Dinosaur. Sure, he's dangerously psychotic and possibly man-eating. But he's just so darned hilarious at the same time. He is, without a doubt, one of my favorite evil scientists in the history of evil science stories.
Ryan Olson
Dr. Dinosaur is possibly the funniest super villain out there. I laughed outloud several times in that issue...
Geoff Sebesta
that's more like it!

This is basically Hellboy with science jokes. And that is exactly what the world needs.
Chris
Doctor Dinosaur is amazing. I hope to get more of him in future volumes of this book.
Justin
It's more of the same from writer Brian Clevinger's and artist Scott Wegener's Hellboy meets Iron Man-meets Indiana Jones-meets the Rocketeer-meets 1950's sci-fi serial films ongoing series.

Bypassing a biography of Atomic Robo himself, the fourth volume of this series, entitled, "Other Strangeness," somehow manages to marry disconnected stories that ultimately create a truly "strange" collection and narrative for Atomic Robo, including an invasion from the Vampire Dimension, the attack of a kaij
Kurt
I love the quirky humor of Atomic Robo, and that has never been better displayed than in the story about why Robo and Dr. Dinosaur hate each other. The story is beautiful, with an indestructible robot and a crafty dinosaur shooting guns and lobbing grenades at each other while Robo pokes holes in his opponent's ridiculous origin story. Robo brings up the scientific impossibilities of time travel and the lack of a fossil record supporting the bad guy's claim to be from the distant past, and the e ...more
Cale
I thought Volume 3 was great, but this one blows it out of the water. All of the single-issue stories here are good, but Atomic Robo vs Doctor Dinosaur has me laughing out loud, multiple times. The sheer absurdity of the situation, coupled with the great dialogue, makes this an issue that everyone should read. The vampire dimension and Science Team Super Five and the ghost are all fun too, but Doctor Dinosaur is fantastic and a distillation of everything that makes Atomic Robo a must read.
Bruce Stewart
Something transcendent happens in the middle of this book.

Atomic Robo is always a wise-cracking robot in the middle of world-shaking, but light-hearted calamities.

He goes in for a 1-on-1 tussle with a speaking dinosaur, and their quips come off like Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman, or Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

There is a moment when Robo is explaining that the dino-villain needs a name that can be pronounced - for marketing purposes, a eureka moment, where the creators take a pause - the wa
Devon
This volume of Atomic Robo is pretty good, on par with previous volumes with writing and pacing and plot, but I didn't find it as compelling as the third volume. There's not much I can say what I liked in general without reiterating my previous reviews, but, specifically to this volume, I loved the send-up of Power Rangers and kaiju stories. And Doctor Dinosaur is the absolute best (SO MANY CRYSTALS); I hope to see more of him!
Megan Baxter
Last time I reviewed an Atomic Robo graphic novel, I said that it was only four stars because there was no Dr. Dinosaur. This one has not one, but two Dr. Dinosaur stories! One of them is about his first meeting with Atomic Robo! It made me laugh my ass off!

I love Dr. Dinosaur. Apparently all his technology is powered by crystals ("SO MANY CRYSTALS.") Except that Atomic Robo can see the plug in the wallsocket.

So yes, in this graphic novel, Atomic Robo interviews a new Action Scientist, goes to
Terrence
More super fun stories, dialogue and characters. Again, I don't want to remotely spoil anything, but this comic just continues to deliver with the fun.
Liz Stoneking
Dr. Dinosaur is quite possibly the most hilarious villain ever to grace comics. It's just...beautiful.
Alan
This is a collection of multiple Atomic Robo shorts that span about four decades of the AI robot's life. Much like Mike Mignola's Hellboy and the BRPD Robo and the adventure scientists of Tesladyne fight monsters, crazed scientists and general threats to the world's well being. The differance between the two, besides science versus the occult/paranormal, is Robo's humor tends to be less dark and cynical. Either way you won't really go wrong enjoying either character's adventures.
Bluestockingirl
Lots of wonderful weirdness!
Bookstorequeer

Review as of May 25, 2012:
This particular volume slipped a little for me, personally. It might have been the headspace I was in while reading it but at the very least I found the story to be a little jumpy and the writing to not be as laugh-out-loud funny as previous volumes. That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it and that I won't re-read it at some later day, but I'm just warning you that I don't really feel it was up to the same standard as other Atomic Robo stories.
David Adams
A nice collection of "day in the life" stories that set up a very intriguing new villain...and Dr. Dinosaur...
Keegan Blackler
All hail Dr. Dinosaur, who is great and not at all insane.
Tom
Oct 11, 2010 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Clevinger and Wegener do it again. This one was a bit more disconnected and silly than the other 3, but they explain why right off the bat. And the things that happen do connect to other events within the Roboverse, which is always nice.

Plus, Dr. Dinosaur. Dr. Dinosaur may have the best three-panel expression that I have ever seen in comics. Just saying.
Benjamin Spurlock
An action-packed volume of Atomic Robo. There's much less character development in this one, but in exchange, we get more action and quite a few hilarious new characters, so there's no complaints from this side. In addition, there's the promise of more plot threads in the future, so that's certainly something that I'm looking forward to.
Ann
I've heard that Scott Wegener does not much care for Dr. Dinosaur. What a shame, because that short may be my favorite comic in the history of comics.

You really can't go wrong with Atomic Robo. It's everything a good comic book should be, clever, funny, exciting, pretty to look at, great dialogue and great plots.
Mike Marlow
This book (and all the others, for that matter) are sheer genius. You do not have to be a comics reader to love this. You don't even have to be a science nerd, though it doesn't hurt. Robo will draw you in with witty banter alone. Utterly awesome.
Traci Haley
Okay, I lied in my review for volume 3... THIS is the best volume of Atomic Robo yet! I LOVE Doctor Dinosaur! LOVE HIM! I want to snuggle him... is that wrong?

Seriously, this volume has the biggest laughs so far in the series.
Brian
Doctor Dinosaur is the best dinosaur. Taking a break from convoluted time travel and inter dimensional horror, this is a slew of wild and random Atomic Robo wackiness. Great fun.
Daniel
The good news: Atomic Robo is only getting better. The bad news? Why have you always gotta have bad news? What are you, some kinda pessimist? Sheesh. This is fun, and all over the place.
John
Pulp adventure with a pro-science bias. Atomic Robo in a number of different strange adventures, including battling kaiju and a talking dinosaur. We need more stories like this.
Ben Mckenzie
Feb 07, 2012 Ben Mckenzie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ben by: Nichole O'Duffy
Well, Dr. Dinosaur is perhaps my favourite character in the history of comics. Even if you include the comics of the vampire dimension! Loved it.
Angela
Fun. Two of the stories are really good: the vampire one and Dr Dinosaur. Too bad the others weren't that great.
Eric Jackson
Woohoo! So much fun! And I got this one signed by Brian Clevinger at Boston Comic on.
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 5
  • FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)
  • Scud: The Disposable Assassin - The Whole Shebang!
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads
  • Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 2: The Chained Coffin & The Right Hand of Doom and Others (Hellboy, #3-4)
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals
  • Secret Six, Vol. 1: Unhinged
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour
Brian Clevinger is best known as the author of the most popular sprite webcomic, and one of the most popular webcomics overall, 8-Bit Theater. He is also the author of the self-published novel Nuklear Age. Clevinger has recently received attention for his Eisner-nominated print comic Atomic Robo.

Claiming that his "favorite comics are the ones where the jokes are on the reader," Clevinger is an e
More about Brian Clevinger...
Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1) Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3) Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2) Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5) Atomic Robo Volume 6: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)