Start by marking “Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)” as Want to Read:
Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)

Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo #4)

Atomic Robo faces an invasion from the Vampire Dimension, finds a giant kaiju monster attack in the heart of Tokyo, detours to the South Pacific to battle wits with Dr. Dinosaur, then comes face-to-face with his newest enemy: his oldest enemy Collects the Atomic Robo and the Revenge of the Vampire Dimension mini-series, the Free Comic Book Day 2009 story Why Atomic Robo Ha ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Red 5 Comics (first published August 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness

Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it it was amazing
Last time I reviewed an Atomic Robo graphic novel, I said that it was only four stars because there was no Dr. Dinosaur. This one has not one, but two Dr. Dinosaur stories! One of them is about his first meeting with Atomic Robo! It made me laugh my ass off!

I love Dr. Dinosaur. Apparently all his technology is powered by crystals ("SO MANY CRYSTALS.") Except that Atomic Robo can see the plug in the wallsocket.

So yes, in this graphic novel, Atomic Robo interviews a new Action Scientist, goes to
Peter Derk
Mar 29, 2013 Peter Derk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: petestopof2013
This book warranted the creation of a shelf for Pete's Top of 2013 reads. That's most of what you need to know right there.

Atomic Robo, always an excellent book with perfect art and hilarious dialogue, is in rare form. If you STILL haven't read Atomic Robo for some reason, like perhaps you only read the stuff I post on Goodreads because you are so thoroughly shocked and amazed that one man could so perfectly feel the exact, precise opposite of how you feel, I would still tell you to get this vol
Mike
Silly, bizarre, laugh out loud funny. And frigging smart - granted I'm way far away from my undergrad degree in science, but this Clevinger writes like he actually gets the difference between an ohm and a muon.

I got it - this is a comics equivalent of The Big Bang Theory! I gotta hand it to the boy - if he can keep up this level of clever, zany, funny then he has a very long career ahead of him (assuming he can afford to slum in comics writing for long).

Doctor Dinosaur was my stand-out favourite
Aug 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I have a soft spot for Dr. Dinosaur. Sure, he's dangerously psychotic and possibly man-eating. But he's just so darned hilarious at the same time. He is, without a doubt, one of my favorite evil scientists in the history of evil science stories.
Ryan Olson
Apr 17, 2012 Ryan Olson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, comics, e-book
Dr. Dinosaur is possibly the funniest super villain out there. I laughed outloud several times in that issue...
Geoff Sebesta
Jul 06, 2011 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was amazing
that's more like it!

This is basically Hellboy with science jokes. And that is exactly what the world needs.
Chris
Jul 28, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Doctor Dinosaur is amazing. I hope to get more of him in future volumes of this book.
Jason
Dec 28, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2016
Fabulous. Dr Dinosaur is a bloody revelation!
Justin
Sep 14, 2010 Justin rated it liked it
It's more of the same from writer Brian Clevinger's and artist Scott Wegener's Hellboy meets Iron Man-meets Indiana Jones-meets the Rocketeer-meets 1950's sci-fi serial films ongoing series.

Bypassing a biography of Atomic Robo himself, the fourth volume of this series, entitled, "Other Strangeness," somehow manages to marry disconnected stories that ultimately create a truly "strange" collection and narrative for Atomic Robo, including an invasion from the Vampire Dimension, the attack of a kaij
Tripp
Sep 24, 2016 Tripp added it
Shelves: graphic-fiction
Atomic Robo is just so much fun, everything from Scott Wegener's craggy, retrofuturistic artwork to Brian Clevenger's time-shuffling plots and snappy dialogue. Here in volume four we find an incursion from the Vampire Dimension, a hot welcome in Japan by a mecha robot, a lost island skirmish with Dr. Dinosaur--yeah, that's right, Dr. Dinosaur--and a spooky visitation by Undead Edison, nemesis of Tesla-powered Atomic Robo.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing
I love the quirky humor of Atomic Robo, and that has never been better displayed than in the story about why Robo and Dr. Dinosaur hate each other. The story is beautiful, with an indestructible robot and a crafty dinosaur shooting guns and lobbing grenades at each other while Robo pokes holes in his opponent's ridiculous origin story. Robo brings up the scientific impossibilities of time travel and the lack of a fossil record supporting the bad guy's claim to be from the distant past, and the e ...more
Christopher Colton
I almost feel like Atomic Robo is better as a series of shorter episodes than as a long, single arc. Seeing Robo in a variety of different situations really shows that whether he's fighting extradimensional vampires in an office building, or battling a giant mutant alongside a Sentai team in Japan, or trading barbs with the ghost of Thomas Edison, he's been exceptionally and hilariously written and drawn. Hats off to Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegner.
Bruce Stewart
Sep 02, 2014 Bruce Stewart rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Something transcendent happens in the middle of this book.

Atomic Robo is always a wise-cracking robot in the middle of world-shaking, but light-hearted calamities.

He goes in for a 1-on-1 tussle with a speaking dinosaur, and their quips come off like Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman, or Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

There is a moment when Robo is explaining that the dino-villain needs a name that can be pronounced - for marketing purposes, a eureka moment, where the creators take a pause - the wa
Cale
Aug 28, 2014 Cale rated it it was amazing
I thought Volume 3 was great, but this one blows it out of the water. All of the single-issue stories here are good, but Atomic Robo vs Doctor Dinosaur has me laughing out loud, multiple times. The sheer absurdity of the situation, coupled with the great dialogue, makes this an issue that everyone should read. The vampire dimension and Science Team Super Five and the ghost are all fun too, but Doctor Dinosaur is fantastic and a distillation of everything that makes Atomic Robo a must read.
Bodhisattva Chattopadhyay
Best in the series so far.
Alan
Oct 24, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it
This is a collection of multiple Atomic Robo shorts that span about four decades of the AI robot's life. Much like Mike Mignola's Hellboy and the BRPD Robo and the adventure scientists of Tesladyne fight monsters, crazed scientists and general threats to the world's well being. The differance between the two, besides science versus the occult/paranormal, is Robo's humor tends to be less dark and cynical. Either way you won't really go wrong enjoying either character's adventures.
Devon
Feb 21, 2014 Devon rated it liked it
Shelves: comixology
This volume of Atomic Robo is pretty good, on par with previous volumes with writing and pacing and plot, but I didn't find it as compelling as the third volume. There's not much I can say what I liked in general without reiterating my previous reviews, but, specifically to this volume, I loved the send-up of Power Rangers and kaiju stories. And Doctor Dinosaur is the absolute best (SO MANY CRYSTALS); I hope to see more of him!
Bookstorequeer
Sep 02, 2014 Bookstorequeer rated it really liked it

Review as of May 25, 2012:
This particular volume slipped a little for me, personally. It might have been the headspace I was in while reading it but at the very least I found the story to be a little jumpy and the writing to not be as laugh-out-loud funny as previous volumes. That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it and that I won't re-read it at some later day, but I'm just warning you that I don't really feel it was up to the same standard as other Atomic Robo stories.
Tom
Oct 11, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Clevinger and Wegener do it again. This one was a bit more disconnected and silly than the other 3, but they explain why right off the bat. And the things that happen do connect to other events within the Roboverse, which is always nice.

Plus, Dr. Dinosaur. Dr. Dinosaur may have the best three-panel expression that I have ever seen in comics. Just saying.
Jose Manuel Real
Jan 09, 2016 Jose Manuel Real rated it liked it
Shelves: cómics
Una serie de historias cortas en las que se introducen personajes variados como Zombie Edison, Doctor Dinosaurio y demás. Se echa en falta una trama más centralizada (problemas de venir del webcomic, imagino) pero los detalles que presenta son bueno, como la dimensión vampírica (¿a nadie más le parece un pozo de ideas?).
Benjamin Spurlock
Feb 24, 2013 Benjamin Spurlock rated it really liked it
An action-packed volume of Atomic Robo. There's much less character development in this one, but in exchange, we get more action and quite a few hilarious new characters, so there's no complaints from this side. In addition, there's the promise of more plot threads in the future, so that's certainly something that I'm looking forward to.
Ann
Oct 03, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, funny, comics
I've heard that Scott Wegener does not much care for Dr. Dinosaur. What a shame, because that short may be my favorite comic in the history of comics.

You really can't go wrong with Atomic Robo. It's everything a good comic book should be, clever, funny, exciting, pretty to look at, great dialogue and great plots.
Traci Haley
Jul 11, 2012 Traci Haley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
Okay, I lied in my review for volume 3... THIS is the best volume of Atomic Robo yet! I LOVE Doctor Dinosaur! LOVE HIM! I want to snuggle him... is that wrong?

Seriously, this volume has the biggest laughs so far in the series.
Mike Marlow
Dec 04, 2013 Mike Marlow rated it it was amazing
This book (and all the others, for that matter) are sheer genius. You do not have to be a comics reader to love this. You don't even have to be a science nerd, though it doesn't hurt. Robo will draw you in with witty banter alone. Utterly awesome.
Edward Petersen
Jun 19, 2016 Edward Petersen rated it liked it
Shelves: own
A bit scattered of a volume. None of the stories had the impact of ones in previous volumes. But the humor is still there, which is most important when it comes to Robo.
David Adams
Aug 28, 2014 David Adams rated it really liked it
A nice collection of "day in the life" stories that set up a very intriguing new villain...and Dr. Dinosaur...
John
Mar 01, 2012 John rated it liked it
Pulp adventure with a pro-science bias. Atomic Robo in a number of different strange adventures, including battling kaiju and a talking dinosaur. We need more stories like this.
Daniel
Jun 23, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing
The good news: Atomic Robo is only getting better. The bad news? Why have you always gotta have bad news? What are you, some kinda pessimist? Sheesh. This is fun, and all over the place.
Brian
Jan 06, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-completed
Doctor Dinosaur is the best dinosaur. Taking a break from convoluted time travel and inter dimensional horror, this is a slew of wild and random Atomic Robo wackiness. Great fun.
John Shaw
Jul 03, 2016 John Shaw rated it it was amazing
Atomic Robo's story continues
Now he fights invaders from the vampire dimension
And a Kaiju in Tokyo
The awesome adventure just never stops
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 1 (B.P.R.D., #1-3)
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 5
  • Ignition City Volume 1
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour
  • Astro City, Vol. 8: Shining Stars
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
Brian Clevinger is best known as the author of the most popular sprite webcomic, and one of the most popular webcomics overall, 8-Bit Theater. He is also the author of the self-published novel Nuklear Age. Clevinger has recently received attention for his Eisner-nominated print comic Atomic Robo.

Claiming that his "favorite comics are the ones where the jokes are on the reader," Clevinger is an e
More about Brian Clevinger...

Atomic Robo (10 books)
  • Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1)
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • Atomic Robo Volume 6: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)
  • Atomic Robo Volume 7: The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific
  • Atomic Robo Volume 8: The Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur
  • Atomic Robo Volume 9: The Knights of the Golden Circle
  • Atomic Robo: Atomic Robo and the Ring of Fire

“We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins.” 1 likes
“Okay, it's a matter of company policy from now on. You must build a reverse polarity setting into all experiments.” 1 likes