Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This new, fully revised and updated edition confirms Body Learning's status as the classic work on the Alexander Technique for maintaining the health and efficiency of the body.
Published January 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Body Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Learning

Janie
We hold our life's history in our bodies. Physical trauma, stress, bad habits all contribute to our posture, breathing, and ultimately our well-being. This book is a fine introduction to the Alexander Technique, a process of understanding the impact of that history and how to bring balance and alignment back into the body. Not a book just for dancers, but for anyone who wants to better inhabit their body.
Hunter
Just starting my first class in Alexander Technique, so can't profess to know how thorough or insightful Gelb's book is, but it's answered a lot of questions about where the Technique came from, what it is, and (perhaps most importantly) what it is not. Intriguing anecdotes and some inspiring possibilities arise throughout. Excited to see what I might discover of myself through class this fall.
Kira
A great introduction, this book serves to open your mind to the condition you are in. I can fully understand that one would need Alexander lessons from a trained professional in order to really learn the techniques and the correct Use of their body. This book was great for giving an idea of what the Alexander Technique is, and for simple awareness of one's own body.
Kim
Apr 04, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: health
This is a good introduction to the Alexander technique, which stresses efficiency of motion and is especially useful for musicians, actors and people with repetitive stress injuries. After reading this book you'll see movement differently.
Carmen
Good theoretical teachings of the Alexander Technique. To truly learn the technique, I would recommend a trained professional... sometimes it is not really possible to know how to truly repair the posture and body without assistance.
Mark Fallon
Brief intro to the theories of F.M. Alexander, who emphasized importance of controlling the body to unlearn bad habits that harm posture and health.
Ian
Best book written about the Alexander Technique. Besides being good, having excellent photographs, the language is very readable.
Deena
This is an excellent introduction to Alexander Technique. Very easy read, totally understandable.
Dennis Baker
Good introduction. Must read if you are interested in the Alexander Technique.
Sam
A great and accessible intro to the technique. Awesome stuff!
Nick
Dry reading, but very helpful in learning about body awareness.
Aliza
Very basic introduction to the Alexander Technique.
Kali
Kali is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Kailen Howard
Kailen Howard marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
James Maconochie-Joy
James Maconochie-Joy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Aug 11, 2014
John Cormier-burke
John Cormier-burke marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Tammy Ile
Tammy Ile marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Nick Chomey
Nick Chomey marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Sacha P
Sacha P marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Pk
Pk marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Vítor Macedo
Vítor Macedo marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Michael J. Gelb, is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership. Gelb leads seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike, Raytheon and YPO. He brings more than 30 years of experience as a professional speaker, s...more
More about Michael J. Gelb...
How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds The How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Workbook: Your Personal Companion to How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age Da Vinci Decoded: Discovering the Spiritual Secrets of Leonardo's Seven Principles