Start by marking “Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique” as Want to Read:
Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This new, fully revised and updated edition confirms Body Learning's status as the classic work on the Alexander Technique for maintaining the health and efficiency of the body.
Published January 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Body Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Learning

Janie
Feb 07, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-works
We hold our life's history in our bodies. Physical trauma, stress, bad habits all contribute to our posture, breathing, and ultimately our well-being. This book is a fine introduction to the Alexander Technique, a process of understanding the impact of that history and how to bring balance and alignment back into the body. Not a book just for dancers, but for anyone who wants to better inhabit their body.
culley
Apr 30, 2015 culley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, somatic
I think of the Alexander Technique as a holistic, Western method for opening yourself up to the Taoist notion of Wu Wei, or the psychological notion of Flow. It can aid and compliment other systems and beliefs, and it is a concrete tool to help us live up to our full potential, physically and mentally. I have just barely dipped my toes into this practice and already I have begun to break from my habitual postures of mind and body I find myself more susceptible to grace and even compassion. The e ...more
Natalie
Mar 22, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
This gave a great overview to understanding the Alexander technique and how it applied in the authors life, as well as many he worked with. I really like the concepts behind this technique and how it applies to character and even emotions. It seems much more sound than traditional posture type training. I have become more aware of tension in the course of different activities, as well as when my body is in a more natural position and can do an activity with ease. It's been interesting. I'm defin ...more
Anthony Roberts
Feb 22, 2015 Anthony Roberts rated it it was amazing
As a Soldier, athlete, father, writer, student, and active human being, I'm always looking for ways to get the most out of my time, my body, and my mind.

This technique is one that I've applied in all aspects of my life and this book provides a solid introduction to it.
Marlane
Oct 18, 2014 Marlane rated it it was amazing
A wonderful companion to the class itself.
Hunter
Sep 30, 2009 Hunter rated it liked it
Just starting my first class in Alexander Technique, so can't profess to know how thorough or insightful Gelb's book is, but it's answered a lot of questions about where the Technique came from, what it is, and (perhaps most importantly) what it is not. Intriguing anecdotes and some inspiring possibilities arise throughout. Excited to see what I might discover of myself through class this fall.
Kira
Sep 08, 2014 Kira rated it liked it
A great introduction, this book serves to open your mind to the condition you are in. I can fully understand that one would need Alexander lessons from a trained professional in order to really learn the techniques and the correct Use of their body. This book was great for giving an idea of what the Alexander Technique is, and for simple awareness of one's own body.
Kim
Apr 04, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This is a good introduction to the Alexander technique, which stresses efficiency of motion and is especially useful for musicians, actors and people with repetitive stress injuries. After reading this book you'll see movement differently.
Carmen
Nov 22, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
Good theoretical teachings of the Alexander Technique. To truly learn the technique, I would recommend a trained professional... sometimes it is not really possible to know how to truly repair the posture and body without assistance.
Mark Fallon
Dec 20, 2007 Mark Fallon rated it it was amazing
Brief intro to the theories of F.M. Alexander, who emphasized importance of controlling the body to unlearn bad habits that harm posture and health.
Ian
Mar 10, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing
Best book written about the Alexander Technique. Besides being good, having excellent photographs, the language is very readable.
Deena
Sep 04, 2011 Deena rated it really liked it
This is an excellent introduction to Alexander Technique. Very easy read, totally understandable.
Dennis
Aug 08, 2007 Dennis rated it really liked it
Good introduction. Must read if you are interested in the Alexander Technique.
Sam
May 20, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it
A great and accessible intro to the technique. Awesome stuff!
Nick
Jul 07, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Dry reading, but very helpful in learning about body awareness.
Aliza
May 02, 2011 Aliza rated it liked it
Very basic introduction to the Alexander Technique.
Vinay Pillay
Vinay Pillay marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Duncan MacLeod
Duncan MacLeod rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Paul Arthur
Paul Arthur marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Margot
Margot marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Constantiniu Alexandru
Constantiniu Alexandru rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Rpalmer63
Rpalmer63 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Lindsay Doering
Lindsay Doering rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Susan Jackson
Susan Jackson rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
Ellen Kogut
Ellen Kogut marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Samuel Haavisto
Samuel Haavisto rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Angelika Mizińska
Angelika Mizińska is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • A Challenge For The Actor
  • How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery
  • The Overflowing Brain: Information Overload and the Limits of Working Memory
  • Building a Character
  • Take Off Your Glasses and See: A Mind/Body Approach to Expanding Your Eyesight and Insight
  • Actions: The Actors' Thesaurus
  • The Right to Speak: Working with the Voice
  • The Viewpoints Book: A Practical Guide to Viewpoints and Composition
  • Sanford Meisner on Acting
  • Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Mathematics and Humor: A Study of the Logic of Humor
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
Michael J. Gelb, is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership. Gelb leads seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike, Raytheon and YPO. He brings more than 30 years of experience as a professional speaker, s ...more
More about Michael J. Gelb...