Start by marking “Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique, Second Edition” as Want to Read:
Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique, Second Edition

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique, Second Edition

This new, fully revised and updated edition confirms Body Learning's status as the classic work on the Alexander Technique for maintaining the health and efficiency of the body.
Published January 15th 1996 by Henry Holt and Company (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Body Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Learning

Janie
Feb 07, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-works
We hold our life's history in our bodies. Physical trauma, stress, bad habits all contribute to our posture, breathing, and ultimately our well-being. This book is a fine introduction to the Alexander Technique, a process of understanding the impact of that history and how to bring balance and alignment back into the body. Not a book just for dancers, but for anyone who wants to better inhabit their body.
culley
Apr 30, 2015 culley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, somatic
I think of the Alexander Technique as a holistic, Western method for opening yourself up to the Taoist notion of Wu Wei, or the psychological notion of Flow. It can aid and compliment other systems and beliefs, and it is a concrete tool to help us live up to our full potential, physically and mentally. I have just barely dipped my toes into this practice and already I have begun to break from my habitual postures of mind and body I find myself more susceptible to grace and even compassion. The e ...more
Natalie
Mar 22, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
This gave a great overview to understanding the Alexander technique and how it applied in the authors life, as well as many he worked with. I really like the concepts behind this technique and how it applies to character and even emotions. It seems much more sound than traditional posture type training. I have become more aware of tension in the course of different activities, as well as when my body is in a more natural position and can do an activity with ease. It's been interesting. I'm defin ...more
Kira
Sep 08, 2014 Kira rated it liked it
A great introduction, this book serves to open your mind to the condition you are in. I can fully understand that one would need Alexander lessons from a trained professional in order to really learn the techniques and the correct Use of their body. This book was great for giving an idea of what the Alexander Technique is, and for simple awareness of one's own body.
Hunter
Sep 30, 2009 Hunter rated it liked it
Just starting my first class in Alexander Technique, so can't profess to know how thorough or insightful Gelb's book is, but it's answered a lot of questions about where the Technique came from, what it is, and (perhaps most importantly) what it is not. Intriguing anecdotes and some inspiring possibilities arise throughout. Excited to see what I might discover of myself through class this fall.
Kim
Apr 04, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This is a good introduction to the Alexander technique, which stresses efficiency of motion and is especially useful for musicians, actors and people with repetitive stress injuries. After reading this book you'll see movement differently.
Carmen
Nov 22, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
Good theoretical teachings of the Alexander Technique. To truly learn the technique, I would recommend a trained professional... sometimes it is not really possible to know how to truly repair the posture and body without assistance.
Anthony
Feb 22, 2015 Anthony rated it it was amazing
As a Soldier, athlete, father, writer, student, and active human being, I'm always looking for ways to get the most out of my time, my body, and my mind.

This technique is one that I've applied in all aspects of my life and this book provides a solid introduction to it.
Mark Fallon
Dec 20, 2007 Mark Fallon rated it it was amazing
Brief intro to the theories of F.M. Alexander, who emphasized importance of controlling the body to unlearn bad habits that harm posture and health.
Ian
Mar 10, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing
Best book written about the Alexander Technique. Besides being good, having excellent photographs, the language is very readable.
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Shula Colleen
Shula Colleen rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Nick Block
Nick Block rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Michael Gelb
May 28, 2011 Michael Gelb rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Aaron Butler
Aaron Butler rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Raquel
Raquel rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Vincent Harris
Vincent Harris rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2008
Lara
Lara rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Elisa
Elisa rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2007
Melissa McFeeters
Melissa McFeeters rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Bob Evans
Bob Evans rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Yudy
Yudy rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Andrea Sala
Andrea Sala rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Luis Antonio
Luis Antonio rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Katian  W.
Katian W. rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Damian Preston
Damian Preston rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery
  • A Challenge For The Actor
  • The Overflowing Brain: Information Overload and the Limits of Working Memory
  • Building a Character
  • Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
  • Take Off Your Glasses and See: A Mind/Body Approach to Expanding Your Eyesight and Insight
  • Actions: The Actors' Thesaurus
  • The Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Wathe Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Way to Exceptional Fitness y to Exceptional Fitness
  • The Fervent Years: The Group Theatre and the 30's
  • To the Actor
  • Playing Shakespeare: An Actor's Guide
  • Acting: The First Six Lessons
  • The Right to Speak: Working with the Voice
  • The Viewpoints Book: A Practical Guide to Viewpoints and Composition
  • Sanford Meisner on Acting
  • A Practical Handbook for the Actor
  • The Serotonin Power Diet: Use Your Brain's Natural Chemistry to Cut Cravings, Curb Emotional Overeating, and Lose Weight
Michael J. Gelb, is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership. Gelb leads seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike, Raytheon and YPO. He brings more than 30 years of experience as a professional speaker, s ...more
More about Michael J. Gelb...