Start by marking “Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Imperial Roman Legion” as Want to Read:
Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Imperial Roman Legion

Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Imperial Roman Legion

A complete history of every Imperial Roman legion and what it achieved as a fighting force.
Published October 1st 2010 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about Legions of Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legions of Rome

Bruce Hesselbach
Oct 11, 2012 Bruce Hesselbach rated it it was amazing
Everything you could possibly want to know about the legions of imperial Rome is contained in this wonderfully complete and readable book. You can see the insignias on the shields of each legion and read its complete history from the time of Augustus to the fall of Rome. Major battles and campaigns are also described in a way that breathes life into the events of the past.
It always puzzled me as to why Rome would want to conquer Dacia, when the Empire's obvious natural border was the Danube.
Jwduke
Dec 17, 2014 Jwduke rated it it was amazing
Legions of Rome leave little for critism. I only have two critiques. One it is very detailed. Two it is only in regard to the legions. The detial is exceelent with regard to the legions, but frequently an event or personality is mentioned and there is not much detail, as these do not have much to do with the legions. However they are still mentioned and are still interesting. I found myself using Google and Wikipedia as frequent companions while I read this book.

If you want a book which contian
Ismael Acevedo
Jun 06, 2015 Ismael Acevedo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completo y complejo, aborda la historia COMPLETA de las legiones romanas, desde su creación hasta la caída del imperio romano, escrita con rigor histórico es tal vez el libro donde se aborda con mayor detalle toda la historia de las legiones, el único inconveniente es que no es un libro ameno y su lectura puede volverse tremendamente lenta y pesada. Leer únicamente si es mucho el interés de esta historia que contada de una manera más amena habrían hecho de este libro perfecto.
Steve Howarth
Well detailed, an easy read compared to many other works and very interesting. A worthy addition on any history/military shelf.
Caleb Curry
Aug 31, 2015 Caleb Curry rated it really liked it
Legions Of Rome is definitely must-read for all Roman history fanatics. What the book does is go into the very depths of not just the Roman legion as a whole, but every Roman legion to exist. The whole book is divided into three parts, the first third being dedicated to the way the legion worked and waged war, the second being dedicated to over viewing every Roman legion to exist and the third being the famous battles throughout the existence of the Roman Republic and Empire.

----In Depth Breakd
Vincent
Jul 30, 2012 Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
If you are interested in Roman history, military history or ancient history you will love this book. It has its faults, but overall this is a very useful and satisfying history of the legions. The title itself is a bit of a misnomer. I don't believe it is every legion - it is most legions that have been identified through literature, history, public record, grave stones and the Notitia Dignitatum. It covers some Republican Legions, but it can get a bit confusing.

The book covers the organization
Burt
Dec 01, 2013 Burt rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, non-fiction
This is the first book I bought on the legions of Rome. It's heavy; the type size is ideal for my old eyes; the writing is eminently readable; the illustrations are useful and sometimes both beautiful and enlightening.

I did not find it too very helpful, though. It deals rather well with what Roman soldiers in legions did, but it deals rather poorly with what the legions were, where they came from. It looks like Stephen Dando Collins recorded his research on note cards (not uncommon), but when it
André
Dec 10, 2010 André rated it really liked it
The Legions' 1000 year history in a nutshell. Not bad for a start. For the largest part of the book Dando-Collins concentrates on the 300 years from 30 BC on.
The writing is good. I was interested in the River Rhine campaign that took place in 69/70 AD. D-C shows a nice picture of all sides, even manages to clear a little of the mess that was the fighting between Romans, Auxiliaries, Rebels, Germans, Batavians etc. with troops and Commanders constantly switching their loyalty between Vitellius an
James
Jan 22, 2017 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweeping overview of not only the individual imperial legions, but also detailed accounts of major battles they participated in during the imperial era. It is a well researched work which starts by detailing the organization and equipment of the legions, follows with individual descriptions of each of the known legions, then ends with a chronological section of every major battle starting with the reign of Augustus and ending with the fall of the western Roman Empire. I would definitely recommen ...more
Geoffrey Sims
Jan 02, 2013 Geoffrey Sims rated it it was ok
Whilst this is a good read, some of the information is either wrong or misleading. This is a trait of other books by Dando-Collins. As a specific example, in information on Legio III Augusta, the book declares the base was Theveste, ancient Timgad in Algeria. In actual fact, the first base was Ammaedara (modern Haidra in Tunisia) later moving west to modern Theveste (ancient Tebessa in Algeria) and finally ending up at Lambaesis near Batna, Algeria. Timgad (ancient Thamugadi in Algeria) was not ...more
Jonathan
Apr 02, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient
Very well written and illustrated book on the Imperial Roman legions. Some of the writing sadly seemed more about the Generals/Augustus of the time more so than the legions themselves but all in all a very good work. Contrary to what other reviewers have stated in terms of lack of credit to sources, this is not the case, there is barely a page that goes by without the author crediting someone or something.
Francisco
Oct 15, 2012 Francisco rated it it was amazing
Totalmente impresionado por el trabajo de documentar 5 siglos de historia de las legendarias legiones romanas. Aqui esta todo, el equipo, las insignias, las batallas y los grandes generales. Disfrute mucho los detalles anecdoticos, que enriquecen la lectura y dan humanidad a una historia que termina siendo triste porque a la larga, todo lo hecho por el hombre es efímero. Incluso Roma.
Colin
Another brilliant, magisterial work on the Roman military from Dando-Collins . . . but instead of the "biography" of an individual legion, as in many of Dando-Collins' earlier works, this is a "definitive history" of every imperial legion (note - does not include the Republican legions, sadly).
Kilian Jones
Sep 30, 2013 Kilian Jones rated it it was amazing
Currently re-reading this book
Still very engaging for me because I can't get enough of roman military history
Very good with lots of details about the roman legions
I wish it would also include the legions is Julius Ceaser and the battles of his time.
Very good book and I think all who like ancient history should at least try reading it
Peter Sunlit
Sep 16, 2012 Peter Sunlit rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Like a long march through the swamps, this book gets bogged down in minutiae. The life of the average legionnaire is fascinating, the stories of some of the battles fantastic. The middle section which give accounts of every legion in history is one for the true believers. This is a long book but, as a history nut, I enjoyed it. The lost legion of the 9th, lost somewhere in the Scottish mist?
Edgar Vuyk
Excelente libro, explica muy bien la organización de las legiones, desde sus incicios hasta la época de la caída y cómo aún hoy en día muchos ejércitos continúan utilizando la organización de las legiones.
Alyssa
May 13, 2015 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Crazy informative, very detailed, and well written. I enjoyed reading every page from start to finish and learned tons in the process.. I highly recommend taking the time to read it for anyone who is interested in the ancient Roman Empire and anything/everything related to their battle tactics.
Chris Faulkner
Nov 07, 2011 Chris Faulkner rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read on the machine like legions that powered Rome to be a Super Power. I would recommend pretty much any book by this author.
John Warren
Sep 06, 2015 John Warren rated it it was amazing
enjoyed this book very informative and good reference guide as well, rally enjoyed the first 2 books that I have read from this author
Jakob Krejsa
Apr 06, 2013 Jakob Krejsa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was one of the best history books i have ever read
John
Oct 30, 2012 John rated it it was ok
Beware, This is more of an encyclopedia rather than a book. It has very accurate information but is not a book filled with the Heroic exploits of Romes legions.
Philippe
Jan 13, 2016 Philippe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Detailed and quite fascinating history of the legions. Better in the earlier periods, up to 235 AD, but that's to be expected as there are more sources available then.
Miriam
Aug 03, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it
Very detailed and comprehensive. I learned a lot. Took me a while to get through it but it was worth it. History buffs will enjoy it, especially those who want to learn more about Ancient Rome.
Jared Miller
Apr 08, 2014 Jared Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. It has plenty of details and I like how it is organized very much. It is a scholarly resource but the average reader would be able to understand it well.
Morgan
Nov 03, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: god-books
fucking amazing book very good deep history and very good detail also presents the reader with a very good guid for the read
Josiah
Feb 07, 2015 Josiah added it
Definitely a read-over. This book was packed with information.
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
RJ
RJ rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
  • The Military Institutions of the Romans
  • Hadrian and the Triumph of Rome
  • The End of Empire: Attila the Hun and the Fall of Rome
  • Constantine the Emperor
  • Verdun: The Lost History of the Most Important Battle of World War I, 1914-1918
  • Rome's Last Citizen: The Life and Legacy of Cato, Mortal Enemy of Caesar
  • God's War: A New History of the Crusades
  • Caesar's Commentaries: On the Gallic War & On the Civil War
  • The Battle That Stopped Rome
  • The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000 (Penguin History of Europe (Viking))
  • Shock Troops: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1917-1918 Volume 2
  • The Normans in Sicily: The Normans in the South 1016-1130 and the Kingdom in the Sun 1130-1194
  • Alexander of Macedon, 356-323 B.C.
Stephen Dando-Collins is an award-winning author whose 40th book will be published in 2017. His work includes children's novels and biographies, with the bulk of his books dealing with military history ranging from Greek and Roman times to American 19th century history and World I and Word War II, the next being THE BIG BREAK: The Greatest American WWII POW Escape Story Never Told. Many of his boo ...more
More about Stephen Dando-Collins...

“Despite their inglorious end, the legions remain to this day, thousands of years after their creation, the most pre-eminent example of how detailed organization, tight discipline, and inspiring leadership can take a group of individuals and turn them into a winning team.” 1 likes
“Estilicón era el salvador de la ciudad y del imperio. «Aquí está la verdadera fuerza de Roma, su auténtico líder, Marte en forma humana»” 0 likes