Start by marking “Women of the Bible” as Want to Read:
Women of the Bible

Women of the Bible

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  686 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This bestselling, updated, and expanded Ebook edition of Women of the Bible, by Ann Spangler and Jean E. Syswerda, provides a unique year-long devotional experience. With a streamlined Bible study to fit the needs of individuals and small groups, Women of the Bible takes you inside the stories and circumstances of fifty-two biblical women, offering encouragement and life l ...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Zondervan (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Women of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of the Bible

Historyprincess
Probably one of the best books I've ever read on women in the Bible. God uses women for all sorts of purposes and this book definitely covers that.

My thoughts on each of these women.

Eve: The first woman whom God didn't give up on.
Sarah: Brave and loyal, she was made a mother of a nation.
Hagar: Even though she was a slave, God saw her sorrow.
Lot's Wife: God tried to save her, but she ultimately refused.
Rebekah: The woman who accepted God's invitation.
Rachel: She felt forgotten, but God remembered
Strawberryblonde
This devotional is definitly my favorite devotional so far! I loved it! But when talking about God they did not captitalize the pronoun, I think it was because of the Bible they were using. That was the only thing I did not like about this devotional.

It is a one-year devotional for women and it goes through 52 different women in the Bible. I did not even know most of the women that was talked about in this book. So it was very interesting to read about their stories and how God used them. I did
Tea J.
This is my go to devotional book. I've read through it 3 times and I plan on going through it again. THe first time I read it, I was a teenager, so some of the issues such as marriage and motherhood were irrelevant to me. I couldn't apply it to myself. As a wife and mother I understand each woman.

The book is divided by the women's story first and each day of the week there is a different sort of focus for that woman. The questions are thought provoking, the stories are well written and the topic
Angeline Lee
At the time I first discovered this book, I was in a place where I was struggling to see how God could possibly love women in the midst of oppression, what it meant to be a faithful woman servant of Jesus, and if my restless, independence-driven personality could even fit into the mold of a real 'Christian woman'. Unsurprisingly, these unanswered questions began to embitter my view of [and relationships with] men and God.

As an act of pure desperation to seek answers from God, I bought the first
Debbie Miller
We're using this book for a group Bible Study I'm in. It is very easy to use, being divided into a page or two to read at each sitting. Very interesting stories that encourage lively discussions. I gave it only 4 stars because our group didn't agree with the author's verdict on 1 or 2 of the women profiled.
Loraine
This is a well written daily, year long devotional on 55 different women of the bible. I would recommend it for any woman who wants a short daily devotional that covers most of the important women of the bible.
Deidre Valentine
Women of the Bible brought back a kindred childhood memory, Sunday school lessons. The teacher would give us a tiny card, similar to a baseball card, and we would read the stats of the character or event to be studied. The simplicity of that stat sheet, so to speak, made it easy to remember important biblical stories and people. For example, Joseph had a coat of many colors, was hated by his brothers and sold into slavery, was an interpreter of dreams, refused the advances of Potiphar’s wife, an ...more
Tiffany
I received this book as a present, and I think the person who gave it to me didn't realize that it was a Bible study-type book, and thought it was more narrative/description about the women in the Bible. I think that if someone wanted a book for Bible study, especially women in the book, this would be a three- or four-star book. I gave it two because it didn't really suit my interests, but I could see its merits.

If you were going to use this as a spiritual guide/Bible study, it's well-organized
Sandra
This is my favorite book on women in the Bible. I not only loved the fact that some less-well-known characters were included, but also how the character was so fully developed by the author, making her into someone we can relate to today, without compromising Biblical accuracy. Although laid out in a day by day devotional, I couldn't help but read the entire write-up on every single woman...in one single sitting! This is a book I've read through more than once and plan to do so again. There's ju ...more
This is a really good book to read along with someone or a group. There is a different woman each week (52 total) and each day has a one page reading - wtih backgorund/context and the woman's story in the bible, as well as questions, and some reflection. It goes chronologically through the bible and I suspect when I finish it, I will have a much better overall understanding of Scripture as a whole. Easy yet though provoking reading.

So, I'm not part of that small group anymore, and have stopped
Angela Blount
An easy read, divided into digestible sections dedicated to each topical woman. Enough backstory and historical context is provided to expand on the empathy one might already have for most of these biblical figures and the situations they found themselves in. This reader had a few touching revelations regarding how God regarded and related to these women.

I would have preferred a bit more depth of study, but I can see this as being a great tool for a woman-centric bible study or small group discu
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2014 Elizabeth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Its a daily reading meant to be read during the course of the year. I have read Eve's character, pain, joy, history, her life during her time, her legacy in the scriptures, promises she received, her legacy in prayer. And it keeps doing that for the rest of the bible women.

I love this book because it helps you understand more of the bible as well as their life and whats better is it helps you understand the time they lived in and how everything varies depending on the era you lived. Time is a bi
Carmen
This will be one of those books that I will refer back to whenever I need a good study of Women of the Bible.
Serri
"Women Of The Bible" focuses on 52 prominent and not-so-prominent women in Scripture. It tells you each woman's story in 2-3 pages with biblical references, highlighting her character, sorrow, joy, and key scriptures.

I particularly liked it because the story about the Widow of Zarephath is included. Zarephath is a direct Hebrew translation of my given name Sereptha.

It's a great gift to both give and receive.
Abbie
This was a good read into a few insights on the women mentioned in the Bible. For anyone seeking to learn more about the few, and sometimes hardly mentioned, women that help create the lineage of Christ or contribute to his kingdom, this is a good choice to read. It asked provoking questions about who these women where and what the choices they had before them were.
Angela
The stories from the Old Testament were amazing but the New Testament didn't have as much scripture to work with so they took more liberties than I preferred. Still a good perspective on biblical problems with a 21st century insight. Not a bad read to encourage us to feel blessed with how much we truly have.
Mariah
Not terribly informative and filled with basic typos that any good editing program should have caught before printing. Very distracting for a grammer nazi like myself. Thought it would have a good overview of important female figures of the bible, but nothing about it gave me any more insight than I already knew.
Kristin
A great do-it-yourself Bible study! It covers most of the women you encounter in Scripture, bringing insight into the lives of some you probably just skipped over during your devotions. It will definitely make you think and look at your own life to see if you possess the qualities of these godly and ungodly girls.
Barbara
Feb 29, 2012 Barbara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Woman's Bible study that I am part of on Monday Mornings just picked this book up. We have started this week on Esther which is the book we are reading in the bible at this moment. Then we will start from the beginning of this book right after that. So excited to learn about all the women in the bible!
Kelsey
This book is an excellent resource for all the women of the Bible! I can't wait to get started reading this daily woman devotional. It has background information on each women, tells her story, has reasons for praise and meditation and more. Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Emily
I'm pretty fussy about devotional reading, but after spending a year with this book, I feel that I learned a lot. I liked the rhythm of the book: introduce a character on Mon., look into her situation on Tues., consider on Wed., pray on Thurs., take action on Fri.
Calisha DeAngelo
This is so great. It breaks down all the great stories of the Bible by each individual woman. You spend one week on each woman, and it compares the stories to present day. This is a great devotional for women! I am looking for one for men...even for myself!
Emerald
This book was so comforting......every night I had a devotional learning about a different powerful woman of the bible. Though some would be seen as not ideal heroes, this book sheds a light on how all types of people are necessary and God loves each of us.
 Barb Bailey
Excellent devotional. This study is done about 52 different women in the Bible. It is broken down to a short read for each day of the week. It clearly defines the Bible story of each woman and how we can apply her experience to our own life today.
Chrisie
Feb 11, 2009 Chrisie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started a bible study a couple of years ago on this, we made it part-way through. I lost the book and then bought it again and tried to setup a bible study again but it fell through so I am trying to finish it on my own.
Kelly
This book is really neat; each woman of the Bible is given a chapter and a week of study by different means. I'm not hemming myself in by sticking to the book's schedule; just taking it at my own pace.
Rebecca
The characteristics, sorrow, joy of each woman of the Bible that is being expounded on.There are 52 women studied and it is very enlightning, definitely can relate in alot of ways to each and everyone.
Heather Totten
I'm currently doing this study with a women's group at my church. I find it to be a great book. Very informative, and is really helping me to see more of Gods love and mercy through these ladies life's.
Jeanette
Beautiful, heart-warming, inspiring stories of the women's lives touched by God, no matter what the character, personality, situation!
Teresa Parker
Using as a Senior Ladies Sunday School study. Great information and study and have learner many things about the women I did not know.
Women of the bible? Why do they talk more on the men? 3 9 Jun 15, 2014 07:12PM
  • Praying God's Will for Your Life: A Prayerful Walk to Spiritual Well Being
  • The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules
  • When Christ Comes
  • To Live Is Christ
  • Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You
  • The Helper
  • Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be: A 90-Day Guide to Living the Proverbs 31 Life
  • A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy With God Through a Daily Devotional Life
  • Life Application Study Bible: New Living Translation
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
  • The Message SOLO: An Uncommon Devotional
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
Ann Spangler is an award-winning writer whose fascination with the Bible has resulted in books that have opened the Bible to a wide range of readers. She is the author or coauthor of several bestselling books, including Praying the Names of God, Praying the Names of Jesus, Women of the Bible, and Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus. Together, her books have sold nearly 3 million copies. She has hel ...more
More about Ann Spangler...
Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith Praying the Names of God: A Daily Guide Praying the Names of Jesus: A Daily Guide She Who Laughs, Lasts!: Laugh-Out-Loud Stories from Today's Best-Known Women of Faith The Names of God Bible, God's Word Translation

“But it is heartening to realize that God accomplishes his purposes despite our frailties, our little faith, our entrenched self-reliance.” 3 likes
“Recuerda que Dios tiene su propia agenda, y descansa en la seguridad de que él te ama y cumplirá las promesas que te hizo.” 0 likes