Start by marking “The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus #1)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  286,959 ratings  ·  11,320 reviews
This is a thrilling new series featuring three brand-new demigod heroes, from the best-selling creator of Percy Jackson.
Published October 12th 2010 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Hero, please sign up.

Ash well , i didn't read the Percy Jackson series i only watched the first movie then i started reading this book and i do understand and enjoy most of it…morewell , i didn't read the Percy Jackson series i only watched the first movie then i started reading this book and i do understand and enjoy most of it .(less)
Serena We met Jason Grace and found out more about Gaia and the Giants.
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams ChimaThe Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams ChimaThe Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams ChimaGraceling by Kristin Cashore
Warriors Read-Alikes
11th out of 57 books — 122 voters
Last Sacrifice by Richelle MeadUnearthly by Cynthia HandCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonCrescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
most awaited YA releases
31st out of 33 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Nightshade
Ana
Dec 04, 2013 Ana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: loathed
Probably SPOILER ALERT, but nothing you couldn't have figured out in the first few pages.

According to Goodreads, 97% of people liked it. But the 3% will rise!

Prepare yourself for the first yet negative review of this book.

I was so excited for this book to come out. But then I read it, and was very disappointed. Just to clarify, I LOVED the original Percy Jackson series. They were amazing. This, however, was not.

The characters were all Sues:

1. Piper's perfection. "I'M SO BEAUTIFUL BUT I MUST HIDE...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well, I finished re-reading all the Percy Jackson & the Olympians books, so now I'm attempting to re-read all the Heroes of Olympus books as well––mostly because I wanted to refresh my memory before The Blood of Olympus comes out. After that, no more Percy Jackson ... *sobs*

So yeah, I've now finished re-reading this one––which was a good idea, because as I read it I realized I'd forgotten like 99% of what happened in it. I also think I liked it a lot better reading it the second time, probab...more
~Tina~
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

New prophecy. New characters. New adventure. Same, EPIC world!!!

Meet our new demigods; Jason, Piper and Leo.
Jason is the mystery in this trio, see he doesn't remember anything, not even who he is. A God has stolen his memories.
Piper has a secret, a terrible one that will only cause pain and suffering, but what other choice does she have?
Leo,...more
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2013 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone!
Shelves: favorites, 2010, 2011
Tears literally came to my eyes when I finished this book. I just loved it so much I wanted to cry. Riordan dives right into the story. There were a lot of questions of who everyone's parents were so Piper's godly parent surprised me but it I thought it was pretty cool. Jason's turned out to be what I expected but with a spin. And Leo's was pretty predictable but there is something very unique about him....

Riordan perfectly meshes Greek and Roman mythology. It's ingenious the way he does it. It'...more
Daria
So I finished this book in 8 hours of solid reading. Yes, even 400-something pages of Greek mythology take that long.

And the first thing which I should mention is that this book, and some others which have come before it and all those which will follow, have nothing going for them except for plot. Absolutely nothing. (Well, unless you count occasional hilarious one-liners on the side. I guess I should.)

Of course, we can't discuss this book without discussing the original Percy Jackson and the...more
Stephanie
Last weekend I drew a 12yr old girl named Ashley(I'm a caricature/portrait artist, for those who don't know). When you have a person in your chair, and they are staring back at you, you feel obligated to have a conversation. Over time you just get bored asking the same question over and over......and over. "what grade are you in?" "What do you do up there in Detroit?" "Is this your first visit to unnamed water park?" ect.

One thing I like to ask kids is "What is your favorite subject?" Nine times...more
Thomas Dolan
I've read a little of this book, on previews and at Barnes and Noble, and I must say I'm rather disappointed. Is it just me, or is it when authors start a new series after an extremely successful one it, is, to put it mildly, lacking? Maybe I set my hopes to high, but it's such a letdown to be expecting a well woven story and getting a, 'And then they did this, then they went and did this, but this happened.'. Perhaps Riordan had some sort of "writer's-high" when he was writing the Olympians, bu...more
Joyzi
Dec 27, 2010 Joyzi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cutesy Fans of Riordan
Recommended to Joyzi by: Librarian at NBS
Book Review (down there somewhere)

***Thoughts Before Reading***
Just bought it today! Actually I'm gonna buy the Hunger Games paperback instead since I want my own copy of it but unfortunately it was out of stock and this one caught my eye.
__________________
***Book Review***

***Introduction***

First off let me start by saying that reading the dedication part of this book made me almost cried again. I've already written the Riordan/Haley story in my review of The Lightning Thief but in case you've n...more
Kristalia
FINAL RATING: ★★★★★/★★★★★

“It'll be dangerous," Nyssa warned him. "Hardship, monsters, terrible suffering. Possibly none of you will come back alive."
"Oh." Suddenly Leo didn't look so excited. Then he remembered everyone was watching. "I mean... Oh, cool! Suffering? I love suffering! Let's do this.”

Wow, i have to say, this series seemed addicting right from the start. As soon as i heard about this spin off series, i had to read it. But first, i had to finish the last two books of Percy Jacks...more
Kcatty
Has anybody thought of the fact that Percy has an empathy link with Grover? So Grover could, in theory, contact Percy when the latter's still an amnesiac. I wonder if Riordan's thought of this...
Note: If you want the actual review, go down. But if you are willing to read through my rambling critique of the preview chapters, by all means, go ahead. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Some Olympian lingo for you:
The PJ, or PJO series- The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
CHO - Camp Half-Blood
For no...more
Irene Lê
Fantastic!
I'm expected a lot in this book, 'cause now Percy Jackson won't be the main character anymore. I thought three new demigods will like the " copycat" of Annabeth, Grover, and Percy. But they have totally new characteristics. This book is a lot more humorous than Percy Jackson series.
In this book, it continued the prophecy of " The Last Olympian". Oh , I read and I gasped, then read again. Rick Riordan's writing is so much better. The one who told the story are the three new demigods, J...more
Kayla Rice
So. I want to start by saying I was a HUGE fan of the Percy Jackson series (duh) and also that I was a little wary about buying this book. I mean, it's not about PERCY anymore. And although I ended up enjoying it immensly, I was right to be wary.
The third-person narrative wasn't nearly as fascinating as Percy's first-person speech. Moreover, out of the three narrators, I only found Leo interesting. Piper was irritating and Jason was just bland. With the exception of Leo, there was not NEARLY as...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Medusa, hydras, cyclops, Hercules, winged shoes, magical trickery--what's not to love about Greek myths? Being a mythology geek, I was naturally drawn to the 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' series that focused on the modern demi-god children of the Olympian gods. While interesting conceptually and done well, it wasn't particularly remarkable storytelling. Riordan's new series, however, looks to surpass the old, seizing the golden apple. It's classic coming-of-age disguised as adventure novel,...more
Grace
Buy this book HERE for CHEAP with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

I just finished reading this title. Full review to come.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever given a book.)
3 - I enjoyed the book, but there we're flaws that made me enjoy it less.
2 - I finished the...more
Lisa
Morgan F
Note to self: Never start a Rick Riordan book the eve of the due date of a big project. It will end with a half-ass poster board and disapproving looks from my Spanish teacher.

So, I couldn't flippin' put this book down. I even read it during dinner and blew off prime-time TV! When I had to put it down for something trivial like, IDK, school, I spent the whole time day-dreaming about it, and eagerly waiting for the moment when I could immerse myself in it again. Rick Riordan's world is just compl...more
Danae
I was scared going into The Lost Hero because I knew I would have to go into this book with a whole new frame of mind. I couldn't think of it as "Percy Jackson" anymore and honestly, I didn't know if I could do that. It was definitely hard at first, but after getting a feel for the new characters I was able to see this as a completely different story. One that isn't taking away from Percy but adding onto it.

Jason, Piper and Leo are all wonderful new additions. I was ecstatic to see that these we...more
Aaron Vincent
Originally Posted on Guy Gone Geek.

There are a lot of reviews I wrote before I created this blog that I have yet to post here. One of these is my ‘cocky’ review of Rick Riordan’s The Red Pyramid. The recent release of Riordan’s new book, The Lost Hero, seemed to be a good reason to post that review on this blog, but then I realized that I didn’t want to ruin the celebratory mood of Rick Riordan’s fans. You read that right; fans of Rick Riordan has all the reason to rejoice and celebrate, for he,...more
Caitlin
OMG!!!!! I cant wait for this book to come out! It is going to be awesome!!! I heard that Percy isn't going to be the main character though. :'( He's still in the book, so that's still fantastic.
I think the main character is either going to be some one really new or Nico.....
EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Maninee
Liz

A series by Rick Riordan that is even more thrilling than "Percy Jackson"? I thought it was not possible.

I was wrong. Terribly wrong

I don't know how Riordan is doing it but this book is....

The plot is breathtaking. A new hero who has no memories and his loyal friends. A goddess imprisoned by old mighty monsters. The roman and the greek mythology combined. Percy who disappeared and Annabeth desperately searching for him. Secrets, monsters...What else do you need?
Right- Nothing!
The story is per...more
Angelic Zaizai
lupakan percy jackson - grover - annabeth chase

sambutlah jason 'entahsiapanamabelakangnyakarenadiaamnesia' - leo valdez - piper mclean

love it love it love it
harus cerita apa ya...kalo tentang bukunya takut spoiler haduuh gimana ini
yah begini sajalah

kalo di percy series, percy itu hoki mulu, selalu jadi jagoan
di buku ini enggak - di satu bagian bisa heboh yay, jason kereen,
tapi di bab lain ternyata leo yang jagoan,
eh di bab lain lagi si leo bikin kacau dan piper yang harus beresin
jadi 3 orang i...more
Namratha
"Seven Half-Bloods shall answer the call.
To storm or fire, the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath.
And foes bear arms to the doors of death."

Percy Jackson’s nerve-racking adventures ended with this cheery prophecy. The resourceful demigod had just fought The Second Olympian War and emerged victorious. When his friend and now, new oracle, Rachel Dare made the aforementioned divination, Percy hoped that it wasn’t something that he would have to deal with in this lifetime. His...more
Apr 16, 2010 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! I can't believe its finally coming out! YESYESYES YES YES

I would like to see how Percy and Annabeth turned out.

Wait. Are cyclopses immortal?? TYSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!
Kendall Anne
I can't not wait to read this!
Like the Red Pyramid, the first book of The Kane Chronicles, this book has a potential to be amazing like the Percy Jackson series. I really hope it is good!! I read the first two chapters and now I seriously can't wait!! Two books by Rick Riordan in ONE year?! Talk about awesome! :)

=============================================================
Wow. Rick Riordan, you amazed me again!
One thing I loved about The Lost Hero, was the combination of new characters, and br...more
Cara
Oh goodness I have yet another book that so deserves a good review like right now, but alas I will have to postpone it. But for those of you who are fans of Percy Jackson do pick it up. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Excerpt: Leo winked at Jason. “Watch this.” He turned to the front. “Sorry, Coach! I was having trouble hearing you. Could you use your megaphone, please?”

Coach Hedge grunted like he was pleased to have an excuse. He unclipped the megaphone from his belt and continued giving directions, but his voice came out like Darth Vader’s. The kids cracked up. The coach tried again, but this time the megaphone blared: “The cow says moo!”

The kids howled, and the coach slammed down the megaphone. “Valdez!”

I...more
☺♡M♡☺
Eek! I didn't realize Rick Riordan was writing another Camp Half-Blood series until my friend posted a link to the preview of this book. Wow! Sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

It's Camp Half-Blood once again, and it's got Percy Jackson in it! (Okay, well, just the last to words of Chapter two that I know of.) Now it's got a boy named Jason who seems - excuse me sounding like a boy-crazy girl - totally hot (and, if I use my usual vocabulary, interesting).

UPDATE:

I've sort of neglected my Goodreads account fo...more
AnQi
Nov 29, 2010 AnQi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of PJO and fans of Greek mythology
*REVIEW FOR LOST HERO*

After getting lost in a whole paranormal faze of reading, I needed something light, humorous, but still serious/adventure kind of book. It so happens that just a few days ago, The Lost Hero came out, adding another series to the Camp Half Blood stories, including the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Some might complain that some books need to end- for this particular book, I thought that too, until I actually read it. Now I'm thinking that Rick Riordan was right to c...more
Heroes of Olympus Series:YES OR NO? 11 30 12 hours, 23 min ago
What would be your Fatal Flaw?? 66 142 14 hours, 23 min ago
CREATE A LIST OF PEOPLE WHO SHOULD THEY BE IF THEY MAKE A MOVIE!!! 18 56 14 hours, 34 min ago
percy VS. jason 2455 1403 23 hours, 58 min ago
who would u rather, Jace, Patch, Percy, Liam, edward, Four, or Prince Maxxon? 7 27 Oct 23, 2014 06:26AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus #1) by Rick Riordan - Starting October 27th 2014 4 13 Oct 22, 2014 11:12PM
Favorite Book Elimination Game 429 270 Oct 21, 2014 03:35PM
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Underland Chronicles, #2)
  • The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2)
  • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)

More about Rick Riordan...
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)

“Jason scratched his head. "You named him Festus? You know that in Latin, ‘festus’ means ‘happy’? You want us to ride off to save the world on Happy the Dragon?” 1487 likes
“Leo: Rainbows. Very macho.
Annabeth: Butch is our best equestrian, he gets along great with the pegasi.
Leo: Rainbows, ponies...
Butch: I'm gonna toss you off this chariot.”
1081 likes