Start by marking “Confessions of a Prayer Slacker” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Prayer Slacker

Confessions of a Prayer Slacker

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Let's face it. Most of us are clueless when it comes to praying. Why is that? And how come we've never done anything about it? In Confessions of a Prayer Slacker, author Diane Moody traces her own personal prayer journey with a touch of humor and a healthy dose of transparency.
''I want my readers to stop the merry-go-round of prayerlessness, quit acting like a bunch of sp
Published August 1st 2010 by Journey Press

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Prayer Slacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Prayer Slacker

Deb
This is our current small group study. Technically, we're only on chapters 3&4 for this week, but I finished the book before we even had our first discussion on it. Easy and fun to read. Love the author's sense of humor and candor. Her suggestions for journaling are simple and are working great for me. I always felt like other Christians were so much better at praying than me, but she has put that into perspective so that I no longer feel like a prayer failure. I am finally motivated to retu ...more
Ruthie
If anyone ever felt guilty about not spending enough time in prayer, this book is for you. It has encouraged me to spend more time praying. Praying isn't a wish list but spending time with the one who loves and created you. She takes you on her own personal experiences and gives you some advice on how you can pray.
Natacha
Actually I did not finish it.

Don't get me wrong, it is really good, the thing is that I might not be the target for the book.

If you don't have a prayer routine and need some encouragement and tips for doing so, this is for you. Very helpful.

But if you already have a dynamic in your relationship with Jesus and you are content with that and feel like growing in it, then probably this won't tell you something you don't know.

For example, she talks about setting a place and a time for prayer and give
Tracie Berghaus
I definitely finished the book motivated to start working on my prayer life. The book was easy to read, funny and inspirational. Probably would,have gone to 5 stars had there been a few less flippant moments. Overall I enjoyed it and think it's worth the read.
Denise
I have to admit that at the start of this book, I really thought the author came off as little too casual and flippant for my tastes. I thought I would not like this at all. However, after persevering, I found much that was helpful, in spite of her writing style. I was reminded how important it is to carve out of our busy and distracting days, a special time of devotion. I was challenged not neglect my personal time of prayer and conversation with the Lord. Easy to understand, realistic, and per ...more
Jennifer N.
I liked what she said, but I wished for more...like more depth. At a few different points in my life I've had an amazing prayer life and relationship with the Lord, so I've been there, but sometimes lack the motivation to start again. It also takes a lot of focus to figure out where to spend time with the Lord when my situation/lifestyle changes - for example, getting pregnant and not being able to get up early/stay up late to spend special time with the Lord because I'm exhausted. Or moving to ...more
Bria
Apr 30, 2012 Bria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
An intimate look at prayer. Kind of like talking with a witty big sister. Some practical advice, some example from the author's own prayer life. Not 100% useful, but also comforting knowing that I'm not the only one out there that doesn't really know where to start.
Michelle Kidwell
I love the playful, yet serious tone of this book, I feel like I am sitting with an old friend, listening to a friend talk, and advise on the matters of prayer!!! I give this one a five out of five stars, and would recommend women of all ages read this!!!
Linda

Very honest and open look at why our prayer lives often are so lacking. I enjoyed the humorous style and practical steps to improve my prayer time.
Bonnie Blythe
What a great book! With a fresh look at prayer and a lot of humor, Diane Moody inspires Christians in an area many struggle with. Highly recommended!
Amanda
A book about prayer that was funny, real, and challenging. A quick read that will get you thinking about your relationship with the Father.
Carolyn Wallis
I so appreciate the honesty of the author to share her struggle to pray. This alone was refreshing to those of us who also struggle in this area. She is forthright and uses understandable images to help us grasp the situation.

Some of her tongue-in-cheek humor helped make the point and others served as a distraction.

The "antidote" was not unlike other books on prayer, however. I think the book showed promise since it was not that Dianne Moody was lacking in prayer times but that she was "slacki
Tiff Miller
Overall, it was an enjoyable, encouraging read. I didn't gain any great, new insights, but I felt a little more "normal."

I appreciated her visual of imagining Jesus sitting in a particular chair, in a particular room, with coffee in hand in the morning, waiting for me. That one simple thing has actually helped me realize that, even though I'm struggling, Jesus really does just want to be with me. It reminded me that my relationship with him is far more important than anything I do.

I would recom
Norma
I think it was a much needed read for me

Erin
I liked this book because it challenged the reader and put the responsibility of having a RELATIONSHIP with God on the reader and not on a pastor, parent, authority figure. It's easy to make it halfway through the book and get excited about prayer and entering into that portion of a relationship with God. It has great tips, cautions, and thoughts that I found refreshing. Also, it's written like you're talking to your best friend, it's full of humor and has some sarcasm that made this an enjoyabl ...more
April
...ya, slacker. Who hasn't heard THAT term. What I liked about this book is she wasn't just calling the lazy out....she actually had some good tips on helping the lazy be...not-so-lazy! Prayer...Ya, I do it every day, and I mean it every time I do it...but I sometimes use the excuses she mentioned in her book as to why I miss my day-to-day quite, one-on-one time with God, my creator. I mean....nothing else is as important as my relationship there....and I make MAKE time for other not-so-importan ...more
Adam Graham
Some books on prayer challenge you and inspire you by showing you people who prayed all the time. Like Arnold Schwarzenegger urging you not to be a girly man these can be inspirational, but they can also frustrate you. The biography of these people feel so far away from normal humans that a cynical part of you might wonder if somebody made them up to get you to pray.

This is where Diane Moody's book, "Confessions of a Prayer Slacker" is really handy. Mrs. Moody isn't a lifetime super prayer warri
Jessica
This is the first of Diane Moody's books that I've read. I found this book befitting for me. I tend to struggle with procrastination and this year, I am focusing on the area of my prayer life.

Diane Moody's sense of humor, honesty, and biblical insight were blended perfectly! This book gives you exactly what it promises, insights into the struggles of prayer slackers and practical ways we slackers can overcome those obstacles. It isn't a self-help book or list of to-do's, but rather, it is a no-e
Virginia Welch
Easy to read, informal, engaging style. She outlines the top 10 reasons you don't pray and provides antidotes for each. Shows you what to do, how to do it, and why you should establish a daily prayer time. Practical, highly readable. Moves fast.

Oddly enough, I read most of this book and then put it down, unfinished, for no discernible reason. Came back to it a few months later, started from the beginning, read most of it again and ... put it down without finishing it. This is odd because I reall
Yvonne Robinson
Confessions of a Prayer Slacker... This book has been ssssuch an amazing book!! We can have such a hhhhuge tendency, as Christians, to either be legalistic toward others or allow feelings of condemnation concerning our own prayer life, based on what we "see" in others... This book has been such a tremendous help for me in my own prayer life and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT to anybody who has the INTESTINAL FORTITUDE to challenge themselves!!
Delinda Mauney
This book is one written from personal experience of the author but oh does it remind me of my own life. I want to be a prayer, a prayer warrior but I am a slacker. This book talks of how we should be convicted when we don't pray but also we probably pray more than we realize.

A must read to see where you fall and how to make a difference in your prayer life.
Sally Beaudean
Thought-provoking, and fun. Sincere, and fun. Inspiring, and fun. This book will take the reader on a journey through self-awareness and self-discovery while providing an impetus to really using daily prayer to develop a close, personal relationship with God. Diane Moody is so personal in her writing that it seems as if she is just in the room sharing a cup of coffee and pouring out her own strong convictions in a friendly, caring way. No "sermonizing" going on in this book. It's just a record o ...more
Deanna Lyn
If you need a map to prayer, this is it.

I've needed someone to level with me, tell me no matter how much I want this devoted relationship to God through prayer, I'm going to fail, but it's ok, there's always tomorrow. There are also new methods to try and a way to fit it in. I was very pleased.
Paula
This book actually changed my life. I have been a Christian most of my life, but my prayerlife was almost nonexistent. God used this author and this book to teach me how to pray. Praising God everyday for a renewed relationship with Him.
Rebekah
The author had some really thought provoking things to say... And it was nice knowing she has the same struggles as everyone else when it comes to prayer. Her writing style was a little different... Very light and casual. Overall it was a good read.
Stephanie
This is a very honest book about prayer. It speaks truth, but also gives some practical instruction on prayer. This book takes the reader on a journey of the author's struggle with prayer which is easily identifiable for any Christian.
Susan
I bought this book through the e.bookbub program. It is somewhat hard to believe that I could be so happy with a book I bought for $.99 but this is a hidden gem. As a person who struggles with "the right time, place, way" to pray, I was very pleased with this simple yet obviously heartfelt book on prayer. We say we want to spend time with God daily but do we? In one chapter, the author blows away, in a light-hearted but no less true, manner all our excuses. The reader is gently led to examine he ...more
Rebecca Tellez
This is a book I will refer to many times. Now that I am finished with it, I am going to go back and read the first part again. I started it two years ago and then it kind of sat for awhile. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone wanting to have a praying life.
Michelle Regan
Loved this author's style...her personality shines through! Her honesty and humility is refreshing in a world of everyone only sharing and posting the happy, good things in their lives! Diane's practical suggestions helped he get back on track with a prayer journal. Highly recommended reading!
  • Songs in the Key of Solomon: In the Word and In the Mood
  • Why Trust Jesus?: An Honest Look at Doubts, Plans, Hurts, Desires, Gripes, Questions, and Pleasures
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • Can I Have Joy In My Life? (Crucial Questions, #12)
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • 21 Prayers of Gratitude: Overcoming Negativity Through the Power of Prayer and God's Word
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
  • The Secret Place: Passionately Pursuing His Presence
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • Believing God Day by Day: Growing Your Faith All Year Long
  • Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • Unbound: Breaking Free of Life's Entanglements
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
Born in Texas and raised in Oklahoma, Diane Hale Moody is a graduate of Oklahoma State University. She lives with her husband Ken in the rolling hills just outside of Nashville. They are the proud parents of two grown and extraordinary children, Hannah and Ben.

Just after moving to Tennessee in 1999, Diane felt the tug of a long-neglected passion to write again. Since then, she's written a column f
More about Diane Moody...
Of Windmills and War Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas, #1) Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1) Home to Walnut Ridge (The Teacup Novellas, #3) Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)

“El Shaddai. My all-sufficient God who is able to handle all my needs. Everything I will ever need I can find in Him. Think about that for a moment. Do you sense the power He offers us in those words? There is nothing, absolutely nothing in your life that He cannot handle.” 4 likes
“anything more important than God to you, is god to you.” 2 likes