Start by marking “The Golden Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Golden Ghost

The Golden Ghost (Ghost)

Published March 22nd 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Ghost

Augusta Scattergood
I've missed the previous "Ghost" books by Bauer so this was a new concept, and it works quite well. Just enough spine tingling for the younger end of the recommended age (6-9). 86 pages, with appealing black and white illustrations by Peter Ferguson.

Besides, I'm a sucker for a dog story. Loved this line, as the dog realizes he's aging:
"She didn't know she was sick. She knew only that the rabbits seemed to run faster."
Liz Phipps-Soeiro
I think many 2nd & 3rd graders will enjoy this- but I took issue with the gender stereotyping throughout the book. "Girly" was a word used negatively quite often, without the explicit explanation to the readers why that use is not accurate. The female protagonist never stood up for herself when her male best friend used phrases such as "girly" in a situation in which was scared or scatterbrained.
Dolly
Mar 13, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is one of four colorful Ghost stories written by Marion Dane Bauer. We have now read all four of the stories written so far and our oldest really likes them. They all have a paranormal aspect to the story, but aren't scary and have a heartwarming ending.

This tale involves a young girl who desperately wants a dog, but cannot have one due to her dad's allergies. Across town, in an abandoned housing area near a closed cement mill, a homeless man is finding it difficult to move on, knowing that
Robin
Oct 18, 2013 Robin rated it it was ok
Recommended for very young strong readers.

A quick and pleasant story of two friends, an abandoned house, and longing. Nicely introduces the concept of homelessness in a way that invites conversation.

One thing lowered this from 3 stars to two: The constant harping on "girly" things as bad. This book was written in 2011; it's set in the present. This element of the story had an early-1970s feel and it was jarring. I don't think today's kids need to hear those outdated and hurtful misconceptions in
Kim
Feb 25, 2012 Kim added it
This is the perfect book for my youngest daughter who is nine years old. It's a good length (86 pp) that she can read in one sitting and the writing is clear and compelling but more importantly, there's a ghost in it. And not only that, the ghost is a dog! For Elena, who is currently obsessed with The Ghost Whisperer and also with becoming a part time FBI agent, this book has everything. There's a slight air of mystery, a ghostly dog who leads the main character, Delsie, to saving an old, ...more
Heather
Aug 02, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: mcba, gr-1-3
A sweet but unmemorable tale. Reminded me a little of Ghost Dog, but with a little greater depth. The girl having to prove herself to her friend, a boy, seemed a tad forced, but maybe it'll ring true to some readers.
Camille
Jul 14, 2011 Camille rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories, 2011, dogs
Bauer writes such wonderful novels for young readers who are just emerging as readers. Very very sweet story about a girl who desperately wants a dog and a ghost dog who needs a home.
Danika
Jun 23, 2012 Danika rated it liked it
Shelves: mcba-12-13
Cute story, quick read, nice way to get around a parent with a dog allergy... My 3 year old enjoyed listening to it read aloud :) Again, another very easy selection in the MCBA list.
Josiah
Jul 05, 2012 Josiah rated it it was ok
I think most writers would agree that it takes more skill to create a good book the size of The Golden Ghost, only eighty-six plentifully illustrated pages, than it does to write a good four-hundred-page novel. With such a small space in which to work, creating depth to the characters and a storyline that really hits home can be a nearly impossible task, though there are few I would trust it to more readily than the great Marion Dane Bauer. She has shown in the past an extraordinary ability to ...more
Books Kids Like
When Delsie and Todd explore the empty mill worker houses, they find one open door. It's evident that someone is camping out there. As the children leave, Delsie feels something soft and silky bump against her. Later, Delsie sees the homeless man walking down the street. There is something following him. It looks like a cloud of fireflies, but, as Delsie looks more closely, she can see a dog. It is the homeless man's dog, but he cannot feel or see her. Delsie falls in love with the ghost dog and ...more
Kathy Dubrovsky
Jul 24, 2012 Kathy Dubrovsky rated it really liked it
Shelves: mcba-books, mystery
This was a good read. I was able to finish the book in one sitting and enjoyed it. I had not read the companion books, The Blue Ghost, The Green Ghost and The Red Ghost. Delsie has always wanted a dog but her father is allergic to animals and she can not get a dog of her own. It is the end of the summer before Delsie's fourth grade begins. Delsie dares her friend Todd to explore the old house
Christy
Jan 05, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader, mystery
Delsie knew it wasn't a good idea to dare her best friend Todd to explore the abandoned houses by the old mill. But she couldn't back down after the words slipped out of her mouth. Together the two friends bike to the mill and try the door of each abandoned house. They are all locked . . . except one. Delsie and Todd sneak inside and discover two strange things. Someone is living there. And something doesn't want Delsie to leave. It's a dog, a strange golden dog, that only Delsie can see!
Marcia
Jun 09, 2012 Marcia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades 2-4, MCBA
A non-scary ghost story with elements of mystery and spookiness. An abandoned group of houses, a homeless man, and a sparkly "presence"prove irresistible to Delsie and her friend Todd. This is a perfect choice for second and third grade independent readers. As a Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee, it provides access to fourth graders, but the content will seem young for older elementary students.
As part of Bauer's ghost series, I liked it.
Karen Arendt
Apr 10, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
A moving story about a girl, Delsie, who wants a dog, but her dad joking says he's allergic. She finds a ghost dog in old mill town that is abandoned. Then she finds a homeless man who is living in the ghost town. The ghost dog looks after the homeless man, though he doesn't see her. The homeless man falls and the dog goes to Delsie to get help.
Pam
Apr 04, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
I liked this story. Yes, the book is short, is for those readers just out of picture books so the characters are not fully developed with pages of details but I still enjoyed the story, it moved along quickly and had a sweet ending. It is perfect for both girls and boys...try it you may like it!
Teresa
Sep 06, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, adventure, ghosts, dogs
Delsie has always wanted a dog but her dad has allergies. While sneaking around an abandoned house with her best friend Todd they discover someone is living there. Delsie also discovers a golden dog that only she can see! 2nd grade and up.
Joann
Apr 27, 2011 Joann rated it really liked it
This is the first of Bauer's "ghost" stories that I have read, and I found it successful. It had a good story, real characters, even some real life issues like homelessness and pets in our lives which were spot on for this young reader age group.
Lara
Dec 03, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-fic
I really like these ghost books, the author has some apt observations about kids and what they're thinking. And dog books? Fuggeddaboudit, of course I was in tears at the end.
Susan
I would recommend this one as a read aloud for 3rd/beginning 4th grade. Also for students making the transition from the "Junie B." type chapter books this would be a good step up.
Serenity
Oct 30, 2015 Serenity rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I have not read Bauer's other ghost books, but I will have to check them out to compare. The Golden Ghost is really a sweet, sad ghost story, and I think younger readers will enjoy it.
Robin
Oct 12, 2011 Robin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-list, 2013ricba
For kids who like ghost stories and animals, this is sure to please. It's short and not all that scary, just a few spooky elements.
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Colene F. Belli
Colene F. Belli rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2012
Kaitlin Whalen
Kaitlin Whalen rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2013
Skye
Skye rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...

Ghost (4 books)