Start by marking “Framed! (Traces, #1)” as Want to Read:
Framed! (Traces, #1)

Framed! (Traces #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  576 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Luke has barely had time to celebrate his final exams when Malc, his Mobile Aid to Law and Crime, calls him to their first case. A fellow student has been mysteriously shot dead with an arrow. Two more grisly on-campus murders follow, and all the evidence points to Luke himself. The stakes are high as Luke sets out to prove his innocence and show that his crime-solving exp ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Kingfisher (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Framed!, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Lolly's Library
Set in a quasi-dystopic future--in which children are removed from their parents at the age of five to begin their schooling and come under the aegis of the shadowy 'Authorities'; where marriages (called "Pairings") are arranged on the basis of genetics and aptitude groupings (a scientist to a scientist, an artist to an artist, etc.); where race is turned upside down and white people are considered freaks and abominations because everyone is brown--Framed!, the first book in a series, is a thoug ...more
the book I chose is called Framed and it is by Malcom Rose . this book is about a boy who has the chance to become one of the youngest forensic investigator. after he finished his finals he got an alert from M.A.L.C. ( mobile aid to law and crime ) and malc sends him to a place on campus where he finds one of his fellow calssmate dead.he had Been shot with and arrow and there were two other muders that were similar to this one that happened later on. All of the clues suggested tbat he was the on ...more
I'm obviously not the target audience for this book any more. I originally read this series when I was younger and I enjoyed it a lot. However this time round I thought that the whole book was very one dimensional.
Andy Lin
Luke Harding, youngest person to pass all of the criminology tests and complete school, was given his first assignment to solve the murder of Crispin Addley. What first My seems like a linear case, evolves into a more complex case involving two more murders. Trying to solve the case before his assessment, and at the same time trying to prove he did not commit the crime.

I picked up this book because I wanted to expand the diversity of the genres I read, so I decided to get a mystery book.

I finish
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
The concept is excellant- a far future England with a Totalitarian government (known as the "Authorities") and a slightly rebellious newly minted (youngest ever to pass his tests at 16) forensic investigator Luke Harding.

In this future world a forensic investigator handles most aspects of law- he and his bot MALC (an acronym for the floating robot/CSI lab/defense/legal body) deal with all aspects and it is the bot who deems that enough evidence has been found to charge and deems what evidence is
Katrina Marnette
i could more easily buy the premise of a 16 year old forensic investigator if it wasn't also shoved into a weird futuristic sci fi. He has a talking robot thingy that gathers his evidence. And they live in a world in which they must be "matchmade". I think these things will help follow through on a series, but they really seem to be ripoffs of other books.

Its told in a very pedestrian manner - readers can't really figure out the clues, they have to wait for Luke to figure them out for us and th
This is a great book. It is suspenseful and if you like mysteries this book is for you. Luke is a investigator and he is framed by someone at the school. Read this to join Luke and Malcolm(his robot) in their adventure to find the criminal that killed someone and then framed Luke for it.
Madeleine J
Framed! is the first book in a series about a forensic investigator. The series takes place in the future, in a world where the government has all the power and technology can talk. The first book is about a murder for which the investigator is being framed, and his robot (MALC) nearly asks him to arrest himself. I really enjoyed Framed! because it was imaginative. I recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery and/or science fiction--or watches TV shows about crime investigation. This book w ...more
Futuristic novel about forensic science. Good murder mystery.
Yash Sonthalia
I haven't finished this book yet, but i really like it. It is just like CSI and I love mystery stories. It is fun to read and it is very thrilling. It has alot of suspense which I like. It is a great book so far.

It is about a boy named Luke who has just become a Crime Investigator. He has just been assigned to this case where a boy is killed with an arrow. The prime suspect is him himself. He investigates and tries to find out who the killer is, then another killing happens, after this another o
Kristopher J.
It was an amazing book that played the plot out well.
Even though it's not really my type of read, i loved this book.
Luke rocked, and I thought the mystery was well- developed and interesting. MALC made me laugh and the romantic bits between Jade and Luke made me sigh. I liked how Luke had his little traits that made him Luke and how he wasn't perfect- I could really relate to him!
Overall, a nice read with suspence and mystery and a hint of romance.
Adam Prescott
There arn't very many ways to describe FRAMED. It is about a 16 year old Forensic Investigator called Luke Harding. With his Mechanical Assistant to Law and Crime (Or MALC for short) Luke has to solve the mystery of a young boy, his teacher and the teachers pet's murders in a short amount of time. There's one problem though, all the evidence points to Luke himself! Utterly brilliant.
Traces series #1. Characters seem flat, but trying to figure out whodunit kept me reading. Wasn't until page 78 that I figured out I was reading "Malc" as "Male"... Blurb on cover led me to think there would be witty banter between Luke and Malc. Not seeing it. I would like to know more about this future society and how it got this way. Rattlesnakes in England?
Stanley Wen
This is a great book to read if you want to past time. It is all about mystery and a little of science fiction. I read this book over the summer and once I started reading it I can't stop until I finish the whole series. This book is about a boy who became a investigator for the police when he is still in his teens. his best friend and partner is a high tech robot.
This book is very creative mystery that I quite enjoyed. Not much gore or horror just good old mystery like I used to read when I was little. Very good character developement and plot execution. It kept me in suspense until the end which I liked because of my knack for figuring out books before I finish reading them. I would greatly recommend this to anyone.
-Luke Harding is a 16 yr. Old forensic investigator (in the future sometime) in England. He is investigating 3 separate murders that are somehow connected. Luke analyzes the crime scenes with his robot partner Malc, trying to figure out who the murderer is.

-This book was ok, but I thought is was boring, not a lot of action.
In this book of the series, I really enjoyed this story. I have to admit its one of the best, but it still has some of my favorite flavors I like to taste in a book. Suspense, mystery, sci-fi, all of my favorite genres in one series. I recommend this book to anyone who has a liking to these genres.
I did this as a read aloud with my 8-year-old. The vocabulary was great, very little humor and the tension was so-so but I am clearly not the target audience since he begged me to read "just one more chapter" which turned into a two hour read aloud marathon.
Cole Price
This was a great book. It took me a long time to find a book in the library, but I'm glad I found this one. It was not as good as The Hunger Games, but it is very close. I would recommend this book to people who like adventure, action and mysteries.
This book has got everything. A murder, no THREE murders and they all point to the main character, a robotic sidekick, and love. I would call this revenge is best served cold as death. If you love gruesome details then this book you will die for.
Great start to the series Traces. Love the concept: 16 year old forensic investigator is framed for the first murder investigation that he is assigned to. MARC (his mobile computer) continues to send evidence against him back to the office...
Alex Farlow
I like this book because I like mystery. This book is all about mystery once he finds out one murder another one comes up. it's nice in mystery books because most of them you can try to eliminate people from the suspect list as you go.
Neill Smith
Luke is the youngest ever forensic investigator to qualify in his school. In his first case of a student shot by an arrow Luke and his robot sidekick find that all the evidence points to Luke.
  • Something Rotten (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #1)
  • The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brothers, #1)
  • First Shot
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Beetles, Lightly Toasted
  • From Charlie's Point of View
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Icecore: A Thriller
  • The Circle of Blood (Forensic Mysteries, #3)
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Outlaw
  • Operation Typhoon Shore (The Guild of Specialists, #2)
  • Stone Cold (Young Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Death Run (Rich and Jade, #2)
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
Believe it or not, until Easter 1996, I was a Lecturer in Chemistry at The Open University. I carried out research in analytical chemistry, particularly in the area of health, and I taught mainly organic chemistry. The teaching part of the job predominantly involved writing, with some radio, TV and video work. It also left very little time for fiction writing which I tackled mostly after midnight. ...more
More about Malcolm Rose...

Traces (7 books)
  • Lost Bullet (Traces, #2)
  • Roll Call (Traces, #3)
  • Double Check (Traces, #4)
  • Final Lap (Traces, #5)
  • Blood Brother (Traces, #6)
  • Murder Club (Traces, #7)