Start by marking “Pythagoras: His Lives And The Legacy Of A Rational Universe” as Want to Read:
Pythagoras: His Lives And The Legacy Of A Rational Universe

Pythagoras: His Lives And The Legacy Of A Rational Universe

This is the story of Pythagoras and the Pythagoreans, whose insights transformed the ancient world and still inspire the realms of science, mathematics, philosophy and the arts. Einstein said that the most incredible thing about our universe was that it was comprehensible at all. As Kitty Ferguson explains, Pythagoras had much the same idea - but 2,500 years earlier. ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Icon Books

To ask other readers questions about Pythagoras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pythagoras

Glenn Myers
Gazing over Kitty Ferguson's mind - as this book allows you to do -- is a bit like looking at the Himalayas from a Nepali tea-shop. You're already in rarefied air, but the view goes on seemingly for ever, higher and higher. I am a fan.

This book is about Pythagoras, the tiny amount that is truly known about him (quite a bit of which is about beans), and the way a key shred of his thought has twisted, turned and grown through history. That shred of thought is that the universe is rational and math
Cathy Graham
Oct 02, 2016 Cathy Graham rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, and definitely want to read more by the author. I think I would have found an appendix with a potted history of the characters helpful, with their main contributions , especially as I'm useless on remembering Greek names! Also a time line. Would recommend.
Cooper Renner
Stopped about halfway through, by the time the survey reached Rome. I was mostly interested into the information on Pythagoras himself and the other early Greek philosophers.
Stephen Marte
Sep 04, 2013 Stephen Marte rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of the research I'm doing for the next book in my historical fiction series titled, 'The Wandering King.'

My characters happen to encounter Pythagoras as they venture from Greece to Sicily where they intend on building a new colony. Along the way they stop in southern Italy at the city of Croton where Pythagoras lived and taught. In his book 'The History,' Herodotus mentions how my character, the Spartan prince Dorieus (brother of Leonidas), got involved in a war between
Adrian
May 28, 2012 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hats off to the author for managing to write so much about a man about which so little is known.

I was expecting a heavy mathemetical slant. And, as a (lapsed) mathematician, was looking forward to it. However, as you progress, it increasingly becomes more about the people trying to find the truth about Pythagoras, rather than the man himself. This was not a bad thing and using the timeline of how people viewed him (and his ideas) as a structure worked well.

It soon became clear that my own 'knowl
Doug Newdick
I was attracted to the premise of the boook: that the legacy of Pythagoras - a way of viewing the world as being fundamentally describable with mathematics - imbued much of our modern culture and science. However the execution left a lot to be desired. A long rambling narrative about people who had claimed to be Pythagoreans through history which obscured the wood with the trees was the major issue. An incoherent superficial discussion of modern philosophy, quantum mechanics and postmodernism ...more
So Hakim
Aug 19, 2015 So Hakim rated it really liked it
A book about Pythagoras, and how his teaching influenced subsequent development of science. Pythagoras was the Greek philosopher who claimed that "all is number"; this, in turn, inspired our modern idea of doing science. (i.e. using mathematical model to describe reality)

The approach is decidedly popular -- explaining "the big picture" from about 6th century BC up to 20th century. Pretty dense, running out of steam in the end, but otherwise excellent.

Recommended for those interested in history o
Geoff Crowe
Feb 15, 2016 Geoff Crowe rated it did not like it
Second attempt and still this book doesnt get me in. The author rambles along in the early chapters and i found myself lising interest in a subject I expected would be fascinating given the importance if Pythagorus.

Preetam Awotar
Preetam Awotar rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
James Coluccio
James Coluccio rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Michaeltarry
Michaeltarry rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2014
Alex Mahon
Alex Mahon rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Mark Simpson
Mark Simpson rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Giancarlo Pasinetti
Giancarlo Pasinetti rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Mark Harris
Mark Harris rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Jared Davis
Jared Davis rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Tim Allan
Tim Allan rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Koit
Koit rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Graham
Graham rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Betty
Betty rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Daniel Owen
Daniel Owen rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Owen Davies
Owen Davies rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2011
Caroline Doree
Caroline Doree rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Barry Mcsorley
Barry Mcsorley rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Sean Elvidge
Sean Elvidge rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Kitty Ferguson, a former professional musician with a life long interest in science, is an independent scholar and lecturer who lives in Cambridge, England, and South Carolina.
More about Kitty Ferguson...