Start by marking “The Wadsworth Anthology of Drama” as Want to Read:
The Wadsworth Anthology of Drama

The Wadsworth Anthology of Drama

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
THE WADSWORTH ANTHOLOGY OF DRAMA, BRIEF EDITION offers you a bold and most distinguished introduction to drama packed with exciting plays usefully situated within their historical and cultural contexts.
Published January 1st 2010 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 13th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wadsworth Anthology of Drama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wadsworth Anthology of Drama

Greg Kerestan
May 10, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like an oxymoron to love a textbook, but this is a damn fine textbook. Nearly two thousand pages of essential plays in every genre, from every culture, with essays about acting, writing, directing and producing. Every student of theatre, whether academic or just casual, should pick up this phone-book-sized volume and pore over it like I did.
Susan
Mar 06, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre-books
A clear and concise history of theatre. This was actually the text book for my University degree in theatre so obviously holds a lot of information in it.

I think in terms of history of theatre I think you could read any history of theatre and get basically the same information, however this one gives clear examples and also holds full lec=ngth plays in it's pages to read and refer back to. Which is VERY handy.
Jessica Barkl
Aug 11, 2009 Jessica Barkl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone interested in an introductory course of the genre of playwrighting, this is a fabulous beginning. It covers all of the major Western/Eastern seminal works and also has many multi-cultural/revisionist history offerings. I adored teaching with it, and I can't recommend it enough.
Ricky German
Oct 15, 2012 Ricky German rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a ton of drama anthologies. However, I will say that I like this one for two reasons: A) It is a nice collection of important plays from each era in history, B) It gives good context for the shows. Plus, you get lots of good plays. I've definitely referenced this over and over.
Asho
Sep 02, 2010 Asho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
A nice anthology for use in an introduction to Western theatre class. It's possible to teach almost an entire fairly well-rounded course from this book with just a few additions.
Nining Ngadimun
Textbook for Drama ENGL 1525 with fabulous Mdm Sheena!
Nining Ngadimun
Extra reading for Drama ENGL 1525.
Erika
Dec 19, 2007 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Excellent!
William Dvorak
William Dvorak marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
A. Jackson
A. Jackson rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Ajin Mahenthiran
Ajin Mahenthiran rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
joanna russel
joanna russel rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Ashlee Chapman
Ashlee Chapman marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Saleh
Saleh marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mikayla Wahl
Mikayla Wahl rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Shweta
Shweta marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Louella-Marie Williams
Louella-Marie Williams rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Rose
Rose added it
Aug 07, 2015
Bobby
Bobby marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Emily Vaughn
Emily Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Abigail Bowman
Abigail Bowman rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Kasi
Kasi added it
Aug 02, 2015
Xixi Wu
Xixi Wu marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
William B. Worthen has a Ph.D., English literature from the Princeton University and a B.A., summa cum laude, English literature from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
He has published a number of works with focus on: Drama and performance studies, Modern drama and performance, Shakespeare.
He has received numerous awards and grants.
More about W.B. Worthen...