Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary

Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Discover the secrets of the mysterious time traveller, in "Doctor Who The Visual Dictionary". It is a lavishly illustrated guide to all the characters, aliens, monsters, locations and technology of all 5 Doctor Who series plus, get the lowdown on the new Doctor, Matt Smith. Specially commissioned cross-section artworks expose the inner workings of the Dalek Emperor's Flags...more
Published September 1st 2010 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published May 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Travis Lewis
Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary mostly deals with the 2005 revival of the show, so any events and people in the show prior to that are most likely missing. However there is still a wealth of information contained in the book covering pretty much everybody and everything that has happened since the show was revived. This is definitely a must have if you're a Doctor Who fan.
Erik
The proliferation of Doctor Who books continues unabated by the BBC as they have reissued a new edition of DW: The Visual Dictionary, updating it to include the Eleventh Doctor’s latest shenanigans, adventures, monsters, and allies. I would argue that it’s an improvement on the first edition which came out shortly after season three, when Martha Jones was the Tenth Doctor’s companion.

The writing staff of this new edition kept many of the original entries from the first – which was smart, as it...more
Christie
I started watching this series about a year ago and pretty much fell in love with it from the start so when I saw that my library had this book I had to have it. The book is a great companion to the show. Its filled with all sorts of facts that one wouldn't necessarily pick up in the course of the show, such as the Doctor's body temperature is 59 degrees. Its also a nice refresher for whats happened in the last 5 or 6 seasons of the show. There was a lot I had forgotten about. Its in the regular...more
Erik
I came to Doctor Who a bit half-assed when it first piqued my interest in the late 80s when I attempted to follow some of John Pertwee’s and then Sylvester McCoy’s adventures courtesy of KBTC. But as they were relatively random airings that failed to account for the fact that most of Doctor Who needs to be sequentially told, my interest waned pretty quickly. As a result of being disappointed with what I thought was a promising premise, I relegated the cult BBC show to the dustbin of uninterestin...more
Anna A
Poorly organized, painfully simple and dull. Was hoping for things not revealed on the show, or interesting tidbits. Didn't really get that. Would love my time back. Could have been so much better. Didn't care for half of the images they picked either. Did find it hilarious that Twelve shows up in the book at least twice, and yet they never show Nine, and obviously it's written before Eleven.
Jeni Enjaian
I seriously wish I could have rated this book higher. If I based my rating solely on my experience, the rating would be a 5. Anything Dr. Who related is a 5 in my book. :)
However, the actual writing and structure of the book leaves much to be desired. Though the book is a "visual dictionary", it is not organized alphabetically. If one is just reading through the book (as I was this time) the non-alphabetical arrangement is not as important. However, if one wanted to use this book as a reference,...more
Danika at The Lesbrary
It's hard to rate something like this. It didn't change my life or anything, but for what it is, it's well done. More detailed than I expected, but it's definitely New Who based, and specifically much more focused on the Eleventh Doctor.
Stacy
I thought I was a decent Whovian.

I was wrong.

I had absolutely no idea how much I had missed in the shows. I now consider myself properly educated, thanks to this book.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/903592.html[return][return]Back in my day, we had to be satisfied with the almost-all-text The Making of Doctor Who. Kids these days can get this brilliant Dorling Kindersley illustrated book all about the Doctor, and featuring all the monsters from the first and second seasons, plus the Judoon (but nothing else from Season Three as far as I noticed). Perfect gift for the young Who fan; maybe also for the less young Who fan. (And one of the labelled components in the T...more
Clueing4looks
I think that this is a very good book, with some great facts about Doctor Who! And now I know more about Doctor Who aliens!
Carlos Vallarino
Spent a whole afternoon enjoying this book. Knew some facts and others not.
Kelly Waters
May 30, 2013 Kelly Waters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All whovians
I have to admit as much as I love doctor who, and as cool as this book was I was expecting it to be better. This book mainly focused on Matt Smith Amy Pond and Rory which made me mad. I was hoping for more about all the companions and more of the doctors. For example they wasted two pages to describe the town that the ponds lived in where some companions that did not even make it in to this book could have been.

However besides that I thought the rest of the book was really cool, and it was put t...more
Hanna
pretty good basic book with the tenth doctor (and mention of ninth).
T.M. Carper
This guide to the world and creatures of the BBC's hit show, "Doctor Who", focuses on the Tenth Doctor, while mentioning creatures from series 1 through series 4. It also goes indepth as to the inside of the TARDIS and the history and family of the Doctor's various companions (Rose, Martha, Donna, Jack). A neat look into the world of the new Doctor Who with full-color photographs. Easy to read, even for younger fans, but interesting enough that older fans will enjoy it as well.
Paige
It's a really beautifully designed book. It just looks at Doctor Who during a certain time period and jumps around within that time period. It's a "dictionary," but it's not in any kind of order. I think it'd be more helpful to have a dictionary of the earlier Doctor Who instead of episodes that are so readily available everywhere.
Paul Warner
Excellent Encyclopedia for all Whovians with visuals and details of major characters, creatures, companions, enemies, places, objects, ships, & more -- covering the eras of Rose Tyler through the epic Pandorica episode. Full of all sorts of Timey-Wimey wibbly wobbly cool stuff!
Kurt Criscione
Sweet, though once again geared more to current series rather than the show as a whole... though i have to say there are some nice sidebars that mostly get the older information right (few things off with the Daleks and the Cybermen, etc)
Thomas
Great presentation and gorgeously done, but it ultimately kind of amounts to a rehash of the episodes in the new series. Fun for serious hardcore Dr. Who fans but I'm not so sure it really brought much to my experience of the series.
Jessica
A surprisingly great resource for Doctor Who nerds. You get to learn cool obscure things like the Doctor's body temp being only 59-61 degrees. Who knew? The unfortunate thing is that is mainly a resource for the Doctors 9-11.
Alex
WOW! This covers a lot of the monsters from Series 1-5, the TARDIS in detail (we finally find out what all the controls mean!!), a lot of the companions explained... this is really a must buy!
Callie Rose Tyler
Pretty much all new series, 10th and 11th doctors, poor forgotten number 9. I wished there was a little more about past doctors.
Patty
Primarily focused on the David Tennant and Matt Smith Doctors, but beautifully rendered and highly recommended for any new fan.
Diane
Loved this book, especially the pictures. Really good for those of us who want close-ups of things we want to make to wear.;
Jackie
Lots of good info, yet it left out some things I felt were important.
Great schematics of gadgets, shapeships, etc.
Emmalee Miller
A fantastic companion piece to go along with the show. I can't recommend it enough for Doctor Who fans.
Livvy
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Mandee Jablonski
Fun book for a new Doctor Who fan!
Abraham Ray
  • Doctor Who: Forever Autumn
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: The Slitheen Excursion
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World Star Wars: Blast Off! Star Wars: Mysteries of the Jedi LEGO Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (DK Readers) LEGO Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith