Start by marking “Gilberto and the Wind” as Want to Read:
Gilberto and the Wind

Gilberto and the Wind

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Your Comprehensive OWL kit in English and Spanish includes the following components, which are also available for sale separately (see listings under Product Name below) Teacher's Guide Package: 1 Teacher Guide per Unit, Total of 8. Dual-Language Planning and Assessment Teacher's Guide. Dual-Language Trade Books: 32 in English, 31 in Spanish Big Books: 11 in English, 11 in ...more
Published January 26th 1978 by Puffin (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Gilberto and the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilberto and the Wind

Robin
What a wonderful book! Gilberto plays with the wind: though it takes his balloon and won't fly his kite, which can be frustrating, it races him, carries his bubbles, blows his pinwheel,and sails his paper boat. And it scares him at times. Very true to a child's perspective.
Maria
I really like the illustrations in this book. The pages are the color of a paper bag and the drawings are done in pencil. The only accent colors are brown and white all of which pop in contrast to the paper. I also like that the protagonist is Hispanic.
Lu Benke
When this book was published in 1963, there weren't a lot of books being published portraying a child with brown skin. I wish I could reach out and touch Gilberto he is so real. Ets' charcoal illustrations of Gilberto are just right showing his exploring of the wind in very simple yet perfect and very real ways for a boy playing by himself outside--with a paper sailboat, a windmill, a balloon, bubbles, or a simple white kite. As a reader, I am both enjoying Gilberto's actiivities as if they were ...more
Erika Adams
This book perfectly addresses the trials and tribulations of non-verbal communication. Gilberto is desperately trying to understand the winds motivations and occasionally succeeding and occasionally not. There is lots of room for questioning natural phenomena and the effects it has on the objects around it. It is set in a very rural setting and this may not feel familiar for some, however, like the other books of hers I was able to come across today Gilberto is just so quintessentially a little ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Marie Hall Ets has written several lovely, understated stories about small children interacting with the natural world. In this one, young Gilberto tells about his interaction with Wind, which introduces itself by whispering "You-ou-ou," then whips his balloon out of his hands and carries it into a tree. Throughout the story, Wind expresses many moods -- playful, capricious, stormy, and finally quiescent. Gilberto lies down and goes to sleep with the wind beneath a tree.

This story captures the c
Eva Leger
3.5 - I was pleasantly surprised by this and I think Julia was too. I expected her to pick this last, or at least one of the last books but instead she pulled it out right away. (She tends to go for newer looking books and often needs a nudge to give an older looking book a shot.)
This is about a little boy, Gilberto, and how he plays with, notices, and watches the wind.
The coolest part for me is that I'd never stopped to think of the wind like this before. As in, the wind "knowing" what it was
Robert
As in her previous book, Play with Me, Marie Hall Ets shows a young child learning to commune and play in nature. The use of darkly colored paper and monochromatic pencil sketching makes for interesting imagery.
Westerville
"Gilberto plays with the wind: though it takes his balloon and won't fly his kite, which can be frustrating, it races him, carries his bubbles, blows his pinwheel,and sails his paper boat. And it scares him at times. Very true to a child's perspective." - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade Pre-k/k Topic: Wind Literature

The wind is a friend . It starts asking the students if they know of things that the wind can do. Then read the story. Have the students draw pictures of them with the wind. They can draw/write what they are doing in their pictures.
Ellen Ramsey
Gilberto loves to watch the wind as it plays with a balloon, clothes on the clothesline, an umbrella, grass in the pasture, kites on the hill, a sailboat on the pond, a pinwheel, bubbles, and leaves. And in the end a quiet wind lulls itself and Gilberto to sleep.
Beverly
I don't know if the illustrations--dark and with only 3 colors: white, black, and brown will appeal as much to children today, who have access to the colorful picture books of recent years.
Shannon
Neat for a study on figurative language. I'd also like to use this to introduce sketching and drawing on tinted paper, because all the pages are light brown.
Turkan
Kaitlyn Horvath
I really like the art but the story to me is boring.
Kirei
Sep 13, 2008 Kirei rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
A sweet book that tells what the wind can do.
Mikanchin

Oct 31, 2013 Buxmont Uu added it
Shelves: bcfl, cmmw
CMMW 27
Elena Fallas
Elena Fallas marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Oct 19, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Jul 07, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jun 28, 2014
James Kirkpatrick
James Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nine Days to Christmas: A Story of Mexico Play with Me In the Forest Just Me Rosa: The Life of an Italian Immigrant