Start by marking “A Road Through the Mountains” as Want to Read:
A Road Through the Mountains

A Road Through the Mountains

From Elizabeth McGregor comes an unforgettably moving, richly layered novel with a timeless love story at its core. Beautiful, suspenseful, hauntingly erotic, A Road Through the Mountains tells of one woman’s extraordinary journey to a new life with the help of the man she thought she’d lost long ago—a journey that will take hold of your heart.

Anna Russell is a talented pa
Published April 27th 2004 by Bantam (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Road Through the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Road Through the Mountains

Anna
Jul 15, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. I found myself skimming through the long descriptions of flowers and plants. It became tedious with too much description and not enough action.
Liliflaj
Oct 19, 2014 Liliflaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tear_jerker
lepa ljubavna prica, ali previse botanike :)
Dorien
Dec 19, 2016 Dorien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very predictable, very badly written. It was like the author did research on two topics; the explorer-man and his journey and a guidebook on trees and plants. And then typed pages and pages full of that information right into her story. Way too long, way too boring. I doubted wether she even knew the plants she was describing herself. It didn't really live as it should have.
Connie
A car accident leaves the beautiful artist Anna Russell in a coma. Her mother, Grace, calls botanist David Mortimer to fly from England to Boston. She informs him that Anna's child, Rachel, is his daughter from a university relationship. Ten-year-old Rachel, who has Asperger's syndrome, is gifted but finds it difficult to relate to other people. She is fascinated by maps and bridges.

When they were students and lovers, David told Anna of his dreams of going on a trip to China following the route
Alison
Aug 18, 2014 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the book description: Anna Russell is a talented painter and single mother. Her daughter, Rachel, is a ten-year-old whose undoubtedly gifted mind is trapped by a form of autism known as Asperger Syndrome. When a car accident leaves Anna in a coma, both their lives—and the lives of all those around them—are changed forever. Across the Atlantic, David Mortimer receives an unexpected phone call from Anna’s mother. The scientist is stunned to learn that he’s a father. His long-ago affair with A ...more
Lynne
May 02, 2009 Lynne added it
Recommends it for: romantics
I read it to learn more about Asperger's syndrome, which my 6 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with. It was good for this, but it was a bit of a cheesy romantic tale. It did involve a 10 year old girl with Aspergers, the mother in a coma, and the father never having been told he was her father being called in by the grandmother. It might appeal more to someone liking romances and definitely soap operas!! Still, it is light entertaining fare, and that is sometimes what is needed by anyone ...more
Dora Okeyo
A story about time, fears and a tragedy that forces David Mortimer to go back in time in search of answers while hoping to revive his love.
I did love the flow and details especially in the middle of the story as it built up to David understanding why Anna did what she did back then and how she carried on eleven years after having their daughter, Rachel.
Rosi
Apr 16, 2016 Rosi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the characters in this book - one (or possibly more) being a young girl with Aspergers Syndrome. The story was wobbly: good in parts; not so good in others. I am torn about whether I liked it or not.
Sue
Nov 25, 2011 Sue rated it liked it
I liked the back story of botanist Ernest Wilson who went to China and brought back all kinds of plants that are in our gardens today. It would be nice to think we might be related since there are Wilsons in our family tree.
Lisa
Aug 14, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
The story started well and commentated on a mixture of two interesting and challenging topics but somewhere about 2 thirds of the way through the story fizzled away into nothing for me, loosing the thread and giving a weak ending.
Vikki
Apr 06, 2010 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a new British author. A child has Aspergers. The mother is an artist and is in a car accident and coma. The girl's father is from England. Great story.
Jill
Aug 22, 2015 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it a bit slow to get into the story, then had to skim through parts of it to get back into it again.
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2008
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2011
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2009
Ani
Ani rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2008
Alyt
Alyt rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2013
Marouschka
Marouschka rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2015
Whitney Oaks
Whitney Oaks rated it liked it
May 16, 2011
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Angel Catharian
Angel Catharian rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2011
Isidora
Isidora rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Lisa Bergin
Lisa Bergin rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2011
Nene
Nene rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Dina
Dina rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Peggy Jacobs
Peggy Jacobs rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
May 04, 2008
Nymeria (Yvo)
Nymeria (Yvo) rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Ina Schmitz
Ina Schmitz rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
______

Elizabeth McGregor is a pseudonym for Elizabeth Cooke. She also writes as Holly Fox.
More about Elizabeth McGregor...