Start by marking “Ruby Lu, Star of the Show” as Want to Read:
Ruby Lu, Star of the Show

Ruby Lu, Star of the Show (Ruby Lu #3)

Ruby is starting third grade, and she can't wait! In third grade you get to join clubs, like for knitting and ballroom dancing and yoga. In third grade you get to sign up for a musical instrument (Ruby is convinced that she is destined to play the harp) and play in the orchestra. In third grade you also get to learn cursive...and that's only the beginning! But for Ruby Lu, ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Rachel
May 17, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and, as of now, final entry in the Ruby Lu series, finds Ruby starting third grade just as her dad has lost his job and her mom goes to work selling shoes at the mall. Ruby worries along with her parents and contributes to the family finances (or tries to, at least) by counterfeiting money, opening a backyard spa with less than optimal results, and home-training Elvis, the stray dog who wandered into Ruby's home and stayed. This is a less upbeat entry than Ruby Lu Empress of Everythin ...more
Shazzer
Mar 31, 2011 Shazzer rated it really liked it
As posted on Outside of a Dog:

In 2004, Ruby Lu, star of Ruby Lu, Brave and True by Lenore Look, joined the ranks of Ramona, Judy Moody and Junie B. Jones as the newest precocious youngster in the chapter book set. Since then, Ruby has appeared in two more books, 2006’s Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything and the new Ruby Lu, Star of the Show. With this newest title, she’s also gotten a makeover, care of new illustrator Stef Choi (the previous two titles were illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf).

In Ruby Lu,
Megan
Mar 07, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-kids
I picked up this book for Madeleine's reading practice - she reads some, i read some more, she reads some, etc. We had, previously, read Ruby Lu, Brave and True. Many of my comments here apply to that book, too.

There is a lot to love about this book, as far as I am concerned. The writing is nice - easy to get through without being lazy. The characters are good role models (something I really do appreciate in books for my daughter). In this book there is a mini-theme of Haiku, which was wonderful
Irene
Apr 15, 2014 Irene rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Early Elementary Kids
Shelves: children
This book's illustrator (Stef Choi) is different from the illustrator of the previous two books in the series that I read (Anne Wilsdorf), and I noticed the difference. Maybe I am just partial to what I started with, but I also felt that in this book's illustrations, Ruby and her family did not always look Chinese.

Also, it's been a while since I read the first two books, but I seemed to remember Ruby being more eccentric than she was in this book... I don't know if maybe she's just growing up?
Amy Rae
Oct 30, 2015 Amy Rae rated it it was amazing
Perfect, perfect, perfect!!!!

All my complaints with Ruby Lu, Brave and True and Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything are gone. Ruby's story starts right away in this book, rather than a bunch of meandering exposition, and while each chapter feels like a little story in itself, everything comes together at the end to create a story that fits together thematically and feels completely satisfying on completion. This is one of the absolute best chapter books I've ever read, certainly the best I've read th
Jae
Apr 02, 2015 Jae rated it really liked it
Wrote this for class so I may as well put it here:
Third book, third grade. Big changes are in store for Ruby Lu and her incorrigible dog Elvis when her dad loses his job and her mom heads to work. Friends known as the 20th Avenue Plum Club help Ruby and her cousin Flying Duck scheme to ease their family’s financial woes. With some resourceful, if misguided, creativity and a little good karma, Ruby Lu manages to Survive Hard Times and become the Star of the Show. Look’s subtle humor and often to
Sam Grace
Oh YES! What a great book. I love Ruby Lu. I totally identified with her. I loved her parents. I loved her teacher. I loved her cousin Flying Duck. I laughed at her friend from LA who thought everything cost $300. I laughed at her yoga-performing dog. (I didn't like that they made her friend Panchito so insistently ornery, or that, having made the decision to have him speak in Spanish, they didn't bother think it mattered that it was incorrect in a way no native Spanish-speaker would screw up. ...more
Heather
Ruby Lu is fabulous, as ever, and should appeal to quite a range of kids. The illustrations by debut illustrator Stef Choi are adorable and definitely add kid appeal. It is not necessary to have read the first two Ruby Lu books to enjoy this one, but fans of this book may want to go back and read Ruby's previous adventures. This would make a great classroom read-aloud, and some teachers may use it during a poetry unit, as Ruby Lu's 3rd grade class is busy working on haiku. (It would also work ...more
Tanja
May 16, 2015 Tanja rated it really liked it
Being not only an Alvin Ho but also a Ruby Lu fan, I wasn't surprised to discover another story I love. What took me by surprise was that I teared up several times. This story really went under my skin. There was nothing, least of all the cover of the book (I preferred the cover art of the first two books), that would have prepared me for the sad undertone that suddenly found its way into the story as Ruby and her family go through difficult times. I think the author has done an amazing job in ...more
Abby Johnson
Jan 08, 2012 Abby Johnson rated it liked it
The best thing about starting third grade was everything... until things quickly start to fall off the track for Ruby Lu. When her dad is laid off, Ruby wants to help, but none of her money-making ideas seem to pan out. Can't Ruby do anything to help her family?

Ruby's a sprightly and well-meaning third grader and this is a story that many kids will identify with. It reminded me of an updated Ramona and her Father. The Ruby Lu series is a great choice for kids starting to read chapter books.
Katie Kemple
Aug 18, 2014 Katie Kemple rated it really liked it
This chapter book hits all the right spots. It handles the loss of a parent's job (Ruby's father) with humor, ingenuity, and a delightful spattering of surprises. Ruby attempts several schemes to help her family, often assisted by a cadre of neighborhood kids (the plum tree club). The chapter length, word choice and illustrations were well received by my six year old daughter. We read it together and it sparked some insightful discussion.
Sue Poduska
Jul 19, 2011 Sue Poduska rated it liked it
Ruby Lu faces many challenges as a new third grader. The themes of change, struggling in a difficult economy, and helping one’s neighbors are timely and are explained at a level young people can understand. Ruby is a likeable and capable character with a lot of depth, but we don’t get to know any of the other characters in the book. Multicultural themes abound in this short novel. The action felt a little flat at times, though. The illustrations are fun and follow the narrative well.
Katie Fitzgerald
Overall, I think the illustrations somewhat outshine the text, but both work together to tell a strong story about a girl who is sure to find fans among readers of the Just Grace and Mallory McDonald series.

Read my full review on my blog: http://sharingsoda.blogspot.com/2011/...
Itasca Community Library
In her latest appearance, Ruby is ready to take on third grade. That’s when classrooms are in the big kids’ hall, students get to join clubs, and everything is written in cursive…Ruby isn’t quite comfortable with all of the changes; show-and-tell has disappeared, and she finds herself worried about her dog at home without her.
Elise
Jan 19, 2013 Elise rated it really liked it
Ruby reminds me a little of Ramona Quimby. She finds herself in certain situations or predicaments that seem very challenging at the time. She grapples with them, addresses them, learns from them and in the process becomes a stronger and wiser girl. The book has a good balance of humor/funny moments and seriousness.

And as my 8 year old daughter describes Ruby, "She's funny. She's cool".
Gianni Llano
Apr 23, 2015 Gianni Llano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life at home for Ruby isn't going so great. He father is out of work and her parents switched roles. But, she couldn't just sit around and not do anything about it. There came a point were Ruby had to sacrifice something for the sake of her family. Lovely story.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Truth be told, I was a little disappointed. This third book seems to be lacking some of the poetry of the first two. Nonetheless, the storyline, which involves Ruby's dad's losing his job, is thoroughly topical and the story ends with a bang, and a not-too-small dollop of bittersweet.
Callie
Jul 14, 2012 Callie rated it it was amazing
Ruby Lu is a very good charecter. She is funny. I really like person who rote this book. I liked Ruby Lu's dog. I like how she tells the truth. She is very smart. And i love that. And I like the book.
Ingrid
Ruby Lu is excited about beginning third grade, but she is facing some difficult times. Her father has just lost his job and third grade is not off to a good start. But Ruby Lu is spunky and has wonderful parents and a great teacher. I thought that this was a fun book with great characters.
Christy
May 26, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed the Ruby Lu series for young readers and was delighted to come across another new book.
Boni
Mar 23, 2011 Boni rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-mg
If I could go 4 1/2 stars, I would. I liked this one even better than the first 2 RUBY LU books- quite funny. I think Look does a terrific job here of getting the kid's viewpoint just right.
Janet F
Janet F rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Meike
Meike rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Emily Myhren
Emily Myhren rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2013
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Trap
Trap rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Leslie
Feb 23, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Cute book, recommended for 3rd grade and up.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Silvia. I
Silvia. I rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Kristin Runyon
Kristin Runyon rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Cinderella Smith
  • Cora Cooks Pancit
  • Coolies
  • The Year of the Fortune Cookie (Anna Wang #3)
  • Love, Amalia
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • The Secret Footprints
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #3)
  • The Show Must Go On! (Three-Ring Rascals, #1)
  • Monsoon
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
I first began making picture books in kindergarten because my other career option at the time was stealing. But a life of crime requires practice and patience, neither of which I had, so I settled into industry, making what I coveted but what my parents could not afford to buy: beautiful books like the ones my teacher read to us in school.

Publishing was no problem in those days, not like it is no
More about Lenore Look...

Ruby Lu (3 books)