Blank-133x176
The named

Marianne Curley

The named (Guardians of Time #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  4,929 ratings  ·  353 reviews
A space and time fantasy about a boy named Ethan and a girl named Isabel. Ethan, one of the Named, fights the Order of Chaos and its destruction in the present by traveling through time with Isabel as his Apprentice.
Published 2002 by Bloomsbury Publishing

Arya
What if you could protect the Future...by traveling into the Past

The Named- where the Gaurdians of Time travel into history to protect life as we know from the Goddess of Chaos, a rampaging Immortal intent on taking over the world.

Ethan- a member of "The Named", part of a prophecy made years ago fortelling the end of the battle that rages between Lorian and the Goddess, and the main character of the book. He has been promoted to "Trainer" and his apprentice is - his ex-best friend' sister- whic
Elica
Very adventurous, a definite page turner.

It had me wanting more after each chapter, i literally could not put this book down.

The characters are a fine set all with their own personality.

My only complaint is that they were not defined much, as in, i had no idea how they looked like. At times Curley would describe a few of their qualities, but not enough to get a strong image.

If anything, all i got a good image of was when they turned into someone else. Arkarian is my favorite character along wit...more
Allison A
This book was awesome! It involved time travel, drama, and mystery. I really enjoy books that aren't predictable. I just pulled this off the shelf not expecting much, and would really enjoy reading the others. It kept me going and I read it in three days.
Lonewolf
So I finished the book and I certainly enjoyed the time that I was reading it, but I feel that this only deserves 3 stars because anything higher should be reserved for particularly good work. This was candy.

But the candy tasted a little bitter because with such an intriguiging concept, the execution was a bit of a disappointment. There could have been so many interesting theames explored with the idea of how tightly interwoven events in space-time are. But it often seemed like the timetravel a...more
Allison

The first half of this book was just like all the other YA paranormals that I’ve grown so tired of - teenagers in class, passing notes, grumpy teachers, girl & boy working together, one with a crush on the other. Depressing home lives, parent and sibling issues, blah blah. Not a lot actually happens at first, but I could see where it was going and was quickly falling into eye-rolling mode, fighting boredom and frustration. How many times have I seen these clichés play out by now?

When I picke...more
Faye
This book is one of the best books you'll ever read. I just finished the second one, The Dark, and it was even better than the first--if that's possible. Anyway, I am off to read the third and I highly recommend this to everyone, especially fans of sci-fi, mystery, fiction and fantasy.
Booker
This book was fantastic! "The Named" is a great time travel book: exciting, magical, historical, and had a bit of romance. It was a little confusing in places, but overall it was a great page turner that will have you scrambling for the rest of the trilogy.
Jonathan

As a child I had a penchant for repetition, a penchant I have been weaning myself from for years. By repetition I mean that I would read a book once, return it to the library and three months later re-borrow that book. It was a guarantee that I would find something in my holidays that was worth reading. The later books in this series here are among those books which I re-borrowed aplenty.

The Named itself is easily one of the weaker books in this series, however the fantastical ideas within it se...more
Victoria
I was really excited about this book...it got such a high rating and seemed like such a fantastic premise. Maybe that's why it seemed to fall short.

Ethan is a Guardian of Time; he travels to the past in order to keep evil denizens from the Order of Chaos from changing it, thus affecting the future. Of course Ethan's only a teenager, but he's already very good at what he does. So the Guard decides to test him by giving him the willful Isabel as his new apprentice. But Isabel's initiation brings...more
Sandra Pulliam
Once again Marianne Curley had me from hello! This book starts out with a bang and ends pretty much the same way! I was glued to the book and didn't want to put it down.

The main character Ethan is my favorite. Isabelle runs a close second but Ethan is who stole my heart. I love the time travel! Going back in time to make sure all goes as planned. It's a great and different concept that was a nice break from vampires, werewolves and all other supernatural reads.

I already have "The Dark" so I'm lo...more
Selin Kamaş
Eski yorumlarımı güncellerken bu seriyi hatırladım.Ne severim bu seriyi. :)) Bu kadar kaliteli seri az olur. Okumayan varsa okusun. Hatta hemen okusun. Herkes okusun. Lütfen, okusun. İsterseniz kitabı araştırın, inanın okursanız pişman olmazsınız. :)) Yani bence olmazsınız, sadece bir şans verin. :)
Tawny
I can not put this series down. It is so interesting. The characters are real and I love the story. I am always on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. I like that you get to see into two charcters minds. It is such a great book. Easy to understand and fun to figure out.
Iffath
The Named is the first book in The Guardians of Time trilogy. It was first published in February 2005, and there was probably a really small chance of me picking it up anywhere, so I'm very grateful to Bloombsury for rejacketing this fantastic fantasy book!

The book is the story of Ethan and Isabel who have been both 'Named' (the people who are part of a prophecy that was made years ago about a raging battle) and members of the Guardians of Time - are a group of people with extraordinary abilitie...more
Mirandahannah
THE NAMED starts out in a way that immediately hooks you. Or at least it immediately hooked me. Ethan has this dream about his sister's death and the man who killed her. He has grown up thinking it was just his imagination, how she died, but he will soon learn otherwise.

THE NAMED is told in the two different POV's of Ethan and Isabel. Ethan has grown up knowing about the Guard and their duties, and at the beginning of THE NAMED, he finally graduates from Apprenticeship and gets an apprentice of...more
Sarah Primivera
It was a bit odd at first... i felt rushed into the whole excitement and worried that it would get worse. The beginning was off-putting but it quickly saved itself. The beginning was quite predictable but once i felt like i knew the whole book it flipped in a matter of seconds. It has a great story and i'm excited to see what else will be done with the idea. I do love how everything is far from perfect and characters are tested and its just all really great. I hope it only gets better from here

I...more
Momo
I will have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this book. The back cover promised to portray a story of excitement and romance which was quite misleading. The premise of the story was excellent, but the delivery was flat. The characters are not fully developed and the connections between characters are also not explored to satisfaction. Time travel isn’t real, and the author did a good job of remind me of that while reading. None of it seemed to transcend reality: the characters, plot, e...more
Mairead
I liked the concept, and the historical element was fun.
The characters were interesting, and I especially liked Arkarian, Isabel and Ethan, in that order.

However, I felt the prose seemed to be aimed at a younger audience, and it would go from being very simplistic to extremely intricate plot devices at the drop of a hat. The imagery was good, but sometimes I felt lost rather than in the moment.

Also, everyone has a soul-mate, and they're all conveniently going to find each other.
Hmm.

I just was...more
Vicki
This is a YA book, first of 3, even though it seems there should be one before it. Its about boy who witnessed his sisters abduction by a monster, who turns out to be his father's partner turned rouge in a group called Gaurdian of Time. A group of people with supernatural abilities fight against the evil goddess who wants to change history so she can rule the world.

I really liked this book, it was entertaining and kept me in suspense, even the sappy romantic stuff in it. Very well written and I...more
snowplum
This book is the literary equivalent of Chinese food. You really enjoy it sometimes, you share it with friends who enjoy it too, and an hour later you forget it because it didn't really satisfy you in some fundamental way.

The better attributes of the book are the greater-than-average number of ideas included in the plot and the fantasy elements. Interesting choices of destinations in time and historical figures to meet (not the obvious choices) set the book apart right away. Then the descriptio...more
Patty
This book was just okay for me. The basic premise--guarding history through going back in time and thwarting attempts to change it--was interesting, but the motives of those seeking to change history were not believable, and the characters seemed superficial. Absent of any surprises and turns, the plot was predictable. All in all it was a pleasant read but that is similar to labeling one's new hairstyle "different" or "interesting".
Rinn
I got this from the library when I was about 11 or 12, and took it on holiday with me. I remember devouring it and wanting to go home from my holiday, purely so I could read the next one. I still love the series now, and re-read them every so often. They're a quick and easy read, and the story is gripping. If you're a fan of history, the books are especially appealing. I also liked that one of the main characters shared my name ;)
Sub_zero
2/5

Como parte de mi objetivo marcado durante este año en el reto 'El bloguero recomienda', una de las lecturas de marzo ha sido Los elegidos, primer volumen de una trilogía juvenil que escarcea sin éxito entre un enorme batiburrillo de ideas con desbordante potencial, pero que bajo mi punto de vista no han sabido llevarse a buen puerto. Personajes contradictorios e irritantes, un estilo carente de interés y un desarrollo argumental en líneas generales bastante chapucero son tres ejemplos de por...more
Caitlin Mitchell
In the first few chapters of "The Named" the main character, Ethan is introduced. He is an intelligent 16 year old boy who has spent the last 12 years of his life working as a member of the Guard, a secret society of "named" people who work to protect the past, and future. Ethan's membership to the Guard becomes more interesting when he is assigned an Apprentice named Isabel. They must work together to stop the future from changing, work through events that occured in the past and protect the on...more
Denise
Entertaining YA fantasy read, though I would probably have enjoyed it more had I read it when I was younger.
Bianca
Thank God I bought the whole series... I can't put them down!
kisses all around!
Eva
Miriam
Un 3'5. En general me ha gustado. Me gusta el tema de los viajes en el tiempo, me gusta que los elegidos tengan dones y que la historia esté tan bien hilada. Además tiene un ritmo muy rápido: no hay una sola página en la que no te den información. Eso por un lado me ha gustado, porque la lectura nunca se quedaba en punto muerto o parecía aburrida, pero por otro a veces me he sentido saturada, he visto que pasaba páginas en las que me daban tal cantidad de información que no me daba tiempo a proc...more
Paula  Phillips
I want you to sit back, relax and imagine what it would be like if you could change the past ? However , in changing even the slightest thing in the past can hold drastic consequences and set off a domino effect into the future. What if by chance, your great- great x 4 ancestor dies , you have two options A) Not be born at all or B) Born into a different family and entire environment.
Meet Ethan, he has the gift and is one of "The Named" , his ability is to time-travel .When he has the chance to...more
Nina
This time travel, good vs. evil trilogy takes place in a small town called Angel Falls. The Named is the name of those who are born with special gifts who eventually join a group called The Guard to defend history as we know it. The Goddess of Chaos has created a group of evil followers who essentially travel back in time and try to undo history as we know it to create chaos which she lives off of. The Named travel back in time and try to stop them from changing history so that all is zen with t...more
Naomi
The books starts of rather scarily, with a vividly morbid scene I was thinking OMG this is a bit much talk about dive straight in! But then it came to light that it was not as bad as I first thought.

Ethan is a school boy who's sister tragically died and tore his family apart, from the age of 4 Ethan has been one of The Named he has a Mentor call Arkarian who has taught him to hone his powers to enable him to go back in time to prevent the order of chaos interrupting history as it was.

Ethan is no...more
  • The Spell (Forbidden Doors, #3)
  • Tríada (Memorias de Idhún, #2)
  • Song Quest (The Echorium Sequence, #1)
  • Magic or Madness (Magic or Madness, #1)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • Wreckers
  • Golden (Golden, #1)
  • Seven Sorcerers
  • City of Masks (Stravaganza, #1)
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
  • Silvermay (Silvermay, #1)
  • Secret Sacrament (Secret Sacrament, #1)
  • A Chalice of Wind (Balefire, #1)
  • Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff, #1)
  • The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
I was born on the 20th of May, 1959 in Windsor, New South Wales, Australia. The youngest of four children, I lived with my family in a small timber house on the banks of the Hawkesbury River. I started my school life at St Monica’s Primary School in Richmond, catching the bus with my brothers and sister every day until a major flood caused the Hawkesbury River to break its banks and sweep the fami...more
More about Marianne Curley...
Old Magic The Dark (Guardians of Time, #2) The Key (Guardians of Time, #3) Hidden (Avena, #1) Broken (Avena, #2)

“Isabel sends her brother a look that could boil him in oil if she had that particular paranormal talent. A thought hits me: maybe she has. It will be fun to find out.” 11 likes