The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses

The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  6 reviews

Everyone will be closely acquainted with a few people who have synesthesia but you may not yet know who they are because, until very recently, it was largely hidden and unknown. Now science is uncovering its secrets and the findings are leading to a radical rethink about how our senses are organized.

Published May 16th 2008 by Routledge (first published April 1st 2008)

Almeta
In T. Jefferson Parker's The Fallen, the detective sees the emotion in people’s speech as shapes and colors, which comes in handy when interviewing liars!. You may recall that Death also saw emotional states as color in The Book Thief. So when I had a Challenge Task of "Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction", I was interested enough to investigate further, by reading The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses by Ward Jamie.

Although the book's intent is to explain Syne...more
Grumpus
This book was OK. It is everything you've ever wanted to know about synesthesia and probably more. Very detailed but not written in a compelling style, for me anyway. I like science and can deal with fact-based writing styles but this one I found a little dry for my tastes. However, if you are looking to learn about synesthesia in detail, then this is the book for you.
Kyle
Want to read something that blows about 2000 years of western epistemology and ontology apart? Do you want it to be written by a scientist? Did you need it to be easy to follow? Then read this book!

Synesthesia is not just the mixing of senses so that one, for example, sees music or tastes letters. It can also involve the ways in which people conceptualize time, space, and numeracy. My partner has synesthesia so reading this gave me a better insight into how she perceives the world. She also said...more
Eva
Be aware of the fact that this is a project-research-book.. it's highly scientific oriented, thus unfamiliar and unpleasant for those who don't have a clue about neurology.
Daniel Wood
A good summary of research into synesthesia and multi-sensory perception. Goes into detail on some of the "more interesting" cases, but without losing context - how the condition affects daily life for those with and without it, and what it means. Fascinating anecdotes as always with this genre.
Stefanie
Not well written but SYNESTHESIA IS SO COOL.
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Rhian Evans
Rhian Evans is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Mischaella Foley
Mischaella Foley marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Saxgirl92
Saxgirl92 marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Zezee
Zezee marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Marie
Marie added it
Jan 28, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Heather Gregg
Heather Gregg marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dr Jamie Ward is one of the world's leading experts on synesthesia. He has contributed to the understanding of science through numerous talks and media coverage in newspapers, radio and television including documentaries produced by the Discovery Channel and BBC Horizon"
More about Jamie Ward...
The Student's Guide to Cognitive Neuroscience The Student's Guide to Social Neuroscience The Frog who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses Cognitive Neuroscience Cognitive Neuroscience, Vol. 1 (Critical Concepts In Psychology) (V. 1)