The Greatest Baby Name Book Ever

The Greatest Baby Name Book Ever

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This newly revised edition features the history and meaning of thousands of names, popular variations, and nicknames. Includes highly original names, traditional and unusual names, names with historical or religious significance, and hundreds of newly discovered names.

The ultimate guide to one of the most important moments in a parent's life: choosing their newborn's nam...more
Published July 27th 2004 by Avon (first published March 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Baby Name Book Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Baby Name Book Ever

mathilda_craft
Apr 16, 2008 mathilda_craft rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Not very informative as I wished it would be. Many of the names mentioned in this book don't know the meaning or origin of the name, whether that was because they were lazy or trying to fit it all in a limitted amount of pages (though I am sure there are names out there that people just don't know how they derived or from where; I don't doubt that; I expected a couple here and there, but I actually found online sites not matching this book for even common names; disappointing). Talk of celebriti...more
Sheila
I purchased this book many years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, and enjoyed looking through the book and considering many names and their meanings. I admit the book still has a place on my bookshelf all these years later. It is fun to look up names when you are considering naming new pets, or to see what other family member's new baby's names mean.
Meaghan
Feb 17, 2010 Meaghan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers and expecting parents
Shelves: names
Well, I don't know about the best baby name book, but it's certainly the largest one! It has a wide variety of names, not just from Anglo-Saxon/European sources, but from Asia, Africa and Native American tribes as well.
Kristi
There just don't seem to be enough names in here;) We are almost through it and still clueless as to what we should name this next baby. I don't suppose that is the BOOKS fault however....
Amsyy
Jun 27, 2011 Amsyy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are interested in names, or need a baby name book
It doesn't have a lot of names that I like, but it has a lot of names. One of the better baby name books I've looked through, but it's not informative enough.
Rachel C
Just a standard, average baby name book. Nothing special.
Tamsyn
It has my name in it, so it can't be too bad. :o)
Vamsi
Vamsi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Beth Lofgren
Beth Lofgren marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
S
S marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Jlb
Jlb marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Dianaw
Dianaw added it
Jul 07, 2013
Tif
Tif added it
Feb 03, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2010
Carol Wallace, co-author of "To Marry an English Lord," has written 21 books, including most recently her historical novel "Leaving Van Gogh." Previous titles have included humor, parenting, and social history. In 2006 Wallace received a M.A. in art history from Columbia University. The research for her M.A. thesis provided the foundation for "Leaving van Gogh." A 1977 graduate of Princeton Univer...more
More about Carol McD. Wallace...
To Marry an English Lord: Or How Anglomania Really Got Started All Dressed in White: The Irresistible Rise of the American Wedding 20,001 Names For Baby: Revised and Updated The Wrong House Elbows Off the Table, Napkin in the Lap, No Video Games During Dinner: The Modern Guide to Teaching Children Good Manners