Rumpole And The Angel Of Death

Rumpole And The Angel Of Death (Rumpole of the Bailey #10)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This sparkling collection of Rumpole stories features six new tales of the "barrister (who's) as much a detective as Sherlock Holmes" (Boston Sunday Globe). Sure to delight Rumpole's legions of literary fans, these new stories will also be eagerly devoured by all those who enjoy the PBS-TV series "Rumpole of the Bailey", based on John Mortimer's books.
Published December 31st 1996 by Viking Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole And The Angel Of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole And The Angel Of Death

Janette
My mom gave me this book. I wasn't sure how I would like it (mom and I don't always have the same taste in books) but I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the quirky main character. Seriously, if you had told me that I would want to live through the story from the point of view of a stodgy old guy, I wouldn't have believed you, but the author not only makes it work, he makes it work brilliantly. Now I'm wishing I could do stodgy old guys as well.

I'm not only keeping the book, as soon as I get thr...more
Jeff Crompton
One of the better entries in the Rumpole series; it probably rates about four and a half stars, but I'll gladly round up rather than down. There is a quality present in the best Rumpole stories that separates them from more ordinary crime/mystery/courtroom fiction - an element of sadness which frequently shows up, in spite of the humor. This appears in a variety of ways - the fact that Rumpole only feels really alive in court; he comes to realize that his efforts have led to the acquittal of som...more
Judy
Oh, Horace Rumpole, you are without a doubt my favorite English barrister. You and your cheroots and "Chateau Thames Embankment" and your strong belief in the right of an individual to be presumed innocent, which you call the "Golden Thread of British Justice". This collection of Rumpole tales includes a trip to the European Court of Human Rights, a foray into the world of animal rights, and a battle against prejudice. There is even a story told by his wife, Hilda, "She Who Must Be Obeyed". All...more
April
This was an enjoyable but not memorable collection of Rumpole stories. If you like Rumpole and She Who Must Be Obeyed, you will like these.
Dave
I am a great reader of the Rumpole stories, I have most of them more than once, but I can say that I still enjoy them!
Scott
I may have read all the Rumpole stories by now, and loved every one.
Michael Jecks
An excellent book I have read many times.
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Michelle Hickey
Michelle Hickey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 25, 2014
Rory
Rory is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Linda
Linda added it
Jun 06, 2014
Geert
Geert marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole...more
More about John Mortimer...
Rumpole of the Bailey The First Rumpole Omnibus Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders Rumpole Rests His Case Rumpole and the Reign of Terror