Start by marking “No Legal Grounds” as Want to Read:
No Legal Grounds

No Legal Grounds

How far will a man go to protect his family? Attorney Sam Trask will go farther than he ever dreamed, even in his worst nightmare. Because his worst nightmare is about to come true… At age forty-seven, attorney Sam Trask finally seems to have his life in order. The dark years of too much drinking and all-consuming ambition have given way to Christian faith. His marriage is ...more
Published March 4th 2007 by Zondervan (first published February 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Legal Grounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Legal Grounds

Donna
May 01, 2016 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-mystery
I am stuck between 2 and 3 stars. I had a hard time with this book. Most of the time, I just wanted it to be over. This is my first work of fiction that I've read by this author. I eagerly wanted to read this after reading some of his non-fiction books.

First, the characters were all such strong stereotypes. The dialogue was often predictable because of this. And speaking of predictability, so was the story line....it started feeling long (even with the far-fetched plot.) And the ending was so n
Jill Bratcher
Jun 10, 2010 Jill Bratcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-scott-bell
Average guy - wife, 2 kids, good job, goes to church...but what if someone suddenly threatens all that? On top of a rebellious teen daughter, a sensitive preteen son and a law partner pressuring him to settle a smaller case and focus on the "big fish", Sam Trask suddenly has another stressor in his life - an old college dormmate he barely remembers and who insists on inserting himself in Sam's life and dredging up ancient history.

What I like about Bell's characters is that they are real. (Okay,
C.J. Darlington
Feb 12, 2015 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
Lawyer Sam Trask's life is finally in order. His old drinking and success-at-any-cost ways have been replaced with embracing his family and his faith. Then Nicky Oberlin, an old college classmate, shows up. His first contact with Sam is an innocent enough e-mail. No big deal. Sam deletes the message. After all, he barely remembers the guy, and distractions in his already hectic schedule are not on the agenda. But there's something about the tone of the message that makes Sam uneasy.

And rightfull
Tyora Moody
Sep 04, 2007 Tyora Moody rated it it was amazing
When attorney Sam Trask receives an email out of the blue from someone he knew briefly in college, he has know idea how this blast from the past will affect his present day life. In no mood for a reunion, Sam chooses to ignore the message from Nicky Oberlin and concentrate on more important matters.

Currently, Sam must represent his client in one of the biggest cases his small law firm has ever agreed to tackle. The case pits Sam's against a high-powered lawyer representing a giant insurance comp
Jeni Enjaian
I have had it with James Scott Bell. I kept plugging away at the stack of books of his that I owned hoping that each successive disappointment was a fluke.
I really can't understand why I liked these so much when I read them the first time.
This particular book is so ludicrous, it's ridiculous. The characters are flat and clueless. The villain is creepy to an unnecessary excess. I wanted to roll my eyes at every new "twist" in the climax scene. (Think "Criminal Minds" without the nuance and fair
Joan Early
Oct 22, 2012 Joan Early rated it liked it
After listening to Mr. Bell speak at a conference in Houston, I am now a fan. This is the first of his novels I have read.

No Legal Grounds is the story of an attorney suddenly faced with a series of personal crises. Sam Trask's rebellious teenage daughter becomes the least of his problems when a face from the past appears, in a demon's vest, to haunt his world. Finding No Legal Grounds to stop the sick attack againt his life and his family, the target becomes the hunter in a desperate attempt t
Cheryl
Jul 31, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I am not sure what to say about this book. Sam is a lawyer and his friend from college is stalking him. Sam is asking god why this is happening to him. He goes to church. Sam tries to take his stalker Nicky on himself, and endangers his family. Sam is an idiot. I wanted to tell him to at least tell someone where he went towards the end. I gave it a star because I read it and another star because the basic story was good and the end was good, it was just the in between I didn't like so much.
Libby
Mar 28, 2015 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: scribd
Wow this psychological thriller written by James Scott Bell. This is only the second book I've read by Mr Bell and the two were completely different. Both involved legal dealings ( the author is a lawyer) but this one is definitely in the thriller category. It kept me on the edge of my seat!

This book is from Scribd- For a free 60 day free trial use the following referral link-
Mary Beth
Feb 07, 2009 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
This is a Christian novel about Sam, a lawyer, who out of the blue, has been looked up by someone from college, that he doesn't remember. The guy is completely insistent on getting together. Ater meeting for coffee once Sam thinks that will be the end of it. The guy becomes a stalker and starts insinuating himself onto the family. Things go from bad to worse until the stalker must be dealt with. It was so refreshing to read a book with no foul language and one that spoke often of the importance ...more
Milissa
Jun 01, 2015 Milissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Legal Thriller

Sam Trask is an attorney with a thriving practice, a loving wife and two kids at home. All is well until Sam receives an email from a college acquaintance,Nicky. Sam meets Nicky at Starbucks and wishes him well. He has too many family and work obligations to continue the friendship.

This sets Nicky over the edge. Nicky begins to stalk Sam and his family. After Sam tries to deal with Nicky legally and the case is dismissed, Sam takes the law into his own hands. It is now a ma
Diane Carlisle
Jun 07, 2011 Diane Carlisle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read for me. There were some legal issues and terminology involved, but Bell provides comprehensive material interwoven throughout the story that makes this so worthwhile and enjoyable.

The antagonist, Nicky Oberlin, is introduced in a creepy way and remains so throughout the story and all the way to the surprisingly creepy ending. That character is burned into my brain and will remain there for a long time.
Debbie
Oct 20, 2007 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Exciting suspenseful book about the Trask family. Sam Trask is a successful lawyer. A Christian and family man. He does however, have a secret that he has hidden from his wife. He has a child by another woman that he knew during his college years. Wife-Linda-believes him when trouble comes knocking at the door in the name of Nicky Oberlin, who also knew Sam in college. Nicky is a psycho who hates Sam and wants to get even with him by stalking his family and kidnapping his daughter, Heather.
Reepacheep
Aug 27, 2009 Reepacheep rated it it was amazing
Riveting and terrifying--as a father I cannot imagine going through what the main character, Sam Trask, experiences in this book.

There is something about James Scott Bell's books that compels me go to church. I do anyways, but his books provide that extra bit of motivation to keep connected.
Karol
Sep 22, 2007 Karol rated it liked it
I did like this one. It was suspenseful to be sure. I had some problems with the main character, though. For being an experienced and seemingly smart/cagey attorney he sure seemed to lack common sense when he realized he was being stalked by a sociopath. But all in all, it was a book that had good suspense, decent character development, and some interesting legal twists and turns.
L
Dec 13, 2012 L rated it it was amazing
Another great thriller by Christian author James Scott Bell. I enjoy his books, as he is able to weave a thriller plot without using crude language in the dialogue. This one entails a lawyer who is stalked/harassed by a psychotic former college mate. When the lawyers's family become targets, he is faced with the ethical decision of following his rage or his faith. A really exciting book.
Vannetta Chapman
Aug 03, 2011 Vannetta Chapman rated it liked it
4 for writing craft.
2 for characters. The father is clueless. The teenager daughter is a stereotype, and the mom is a cardboard cutout.

James Scott Bell knows pacing, he knows plot, and he teaches a fabulous writing class. So I was a bit confused to find there was no character I could cheer for in this book. But maybe it was just me.
Steve Baum
Sep 04, 2016 Steve Baum rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Annoying style with many typos

Juxtaposing terrifying suspense/psychological thriller with Christian faith, combined with dozens, possibly hundreds of typos (missing spaces between words). Didn't work for me.
Tee Mcdaniel
Mar 07, 2015 Tee Mcdaniel rated it really liked it
This is another good book you'll be wanting to hurry up and read. Nicky is so evil destroying Sam's family for fun makes you wonder what's next. It did leave a few story lines open maybe another book ?
Jimmy
Jul 30, 2008 Jimmy rated it really liked it
Good story, with suspense and seeing faith tested in times of trial. The family in the story experiences typical gwoing pains that become intensified when a "old college friend" of the father's (who is a psychopath) decided he wants to reconnect.
Caryn
Feb 22, 2009 Caryn rated it really liked it
Excellant Christian fiction.
Kw
Jan 05, 2013 Kw rated it really liked it
Thoroughly entertaining throughout. I love this author's suspense/legal/mystery books. Even better, the main characters are Christians. No obscenities, no blasphemy. What a concept!
Nancy
Jul 27, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Good book. The bad guy was Very creepy. Couldn't quite buy Sam's totally emotional reactions..but there's a lot to like in this book ! I heartily recommend it.
Jun 07, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book until the end. I understand it's fiction, but the story got beyond RIDICULOUS.
Nancy Johnson
James Scott Bell continues to keep me riveted.
Ruth Ann Maynard
Oct 17, 2008 Ruth Ann Maynard rated it it was amazing
Jim Bell is a personal friend of mine. I knew he had written some books but this was the first that I had read. It was really good! Suspenseful and good. I would highly recommend it.
JB
Jan 17, 2016 JB rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fast paced story.
Dawn
Apr 11, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book - enjoyed the story. Lots of references to God and prayer.
Heather Beasley
Jul 09, 2014 Heather Beasley rated it it was amazing
True to form, Bell's book is a page turner - hard to put down. Loved it!
Scott
A really good book. After finishing this one, I immediately downloaded another James Scott Bell Book.
Wanda
Sep 24, 2007 Wanda rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! It was action packed and I couldn't put it down. This was my first book by James Scott Bell and I will the rest of his books!
  • Winner Take All
  • Sacred Trust (Er Trilogy, #1)
  • Something Beyond the Sky
  • The Last Plea Bargain
  • Full Circle
  • Fire of the Raging Dragon (Pacific Rim, #2)
  • Dread Champion
  • The Truth Teller
  • In a Heartbeat (In a Heartbeat #1)
  • Beyond the Shadows
  • Fields of Grace (Heart of the Prairie #4)
  • Never Look Back (Phantom Hollow Series #2)
  • The Church Ladies
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • Angel of Mercy (Shannon Saga #3)
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...