Start by marking “No Legal Grounds” as Want to Read:
No Legal Grounds

No Legal Grounds

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  28 reviews
How far will a man go to protect his family? Attorney Sam Trask will go farther than he ever dreamed, even in his worst nightmare. Because his worst nightmare is about to come true At age forty-seven, attorney Sam Trask finally seems to have his life in order. The dark years of too much drinking and all-consuming ambition have given way to Christian faith. His marriage is ...more
Published March 4th 2007 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published February 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Legal Grounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Legal Grounds

Jill Bratcher
Average guy - wife, 2 kids, good job, goes to church...but what if someone suddenly threatens all that? On top of a rebellious teen daughter, a sensitive preteen son and a law partner pressuring him to settle a smaller case and focus on the "big fish", Sam Trask suddenly has another stressor in his life - an old college dormmate he barely remembers and who insists on inserting himself in Sam's life and dredging up ancient history.

What I like about Bell's characters is that they are real. (Okay,
C.J. Darlington
Lawyer Sam Trask's life is finally in order. His old drinking and success-at-any-cost ways have been replaced with embracing his family and his faith. Then Nicky Oberlin, an old college classmate, shows up. His first contact with Sam is an innocent enough e-mail. No big deal. Sam deletes the message. After all, he barely remembers the guy, and distractions in his already hectic schedule are not on the agenda. But there's something about the tone of the message that makes Sam uneasy.

And rightfull
Tyora Moody
When attorney Sam Trask receives an email out of the blue from someone he knew briefly in college, he has know idea how this blast from the past will affect his present day life. In no mood for a reunion, Sam chooses to ignore the message from Nicky Oberlin and concentrate on more important matters.

Currently, Sam must represent his client in one of the biggest cases his small law firm has ever agreed to tackle. The case pits Sam's against a high-powered lawyer representing a giant insurance comp
Jeni Enjaian
I have had it with James Scott Bell. I kept plugging away at the stack of books of his that I owned hoping that each successive disappointment was a fluke.
I really can't understand why I liked these so much when I read them the first time.
This particular book is so ludicrous, it's ridiculous. The characters are flat and clueless. The villain is creepy to an unnecessary excess. I wanted to roll my eyes at every new "twist" in the climax scene. (Think "Criminal Minds" without the nuance and fair
Tee Mcdaniel
This is another good book you'll be wanting to hurry up and read. Nicky is so evil destroying Sam's family for fun makes you wonder what's next. It did leave a few story lines open maybe another book ?
Candace
Edge of your seat legal thriller. The ending was a fast and furious page turner. I was disappointed when the book was over.
Joan Early
After listening to Mr. Bell speak at a conference in Houston, I am now a fan. This is the first of his novels I have read.

No Legal Grounds is the story of an attorney suddenly faced with a series of personal crises. Sam Trask's rebellious teenage daughter becomes the least of his problems when a face from the past appears, in a demon's vest, to haunt his world. Finding No Legal Grounds to stop the sick attack againt his life and his family, the target becomes the hunter in a desperate attempt t
Heather Beasley
True to form, Bell's book is a page turner - hard to put down. Loved it!
I enjoyed the book until the end. I understand it's fiction, but the story got beyond RIDICULOUS.
Mary Beth
This is a Christian novel about Sam, a lawyer, who out of the blue, has been looked up by someone from college, that he doesn't remember. The guy is completely insistent on getting together. Ater meeting for coffee once Sam thinks that will be the end of it. The guy becomes a stalker and starts insinuating himself onto the family. Things go from bad to worse until the stalker must be dealt with. It was so refreshing to read a book with no foul language and one that spoke often of the importance ...more
Cheryl
I am not sure what to say about this book. Sam is a lawyer and his friend from college is stalking him. Sam is asking god why this is happening to him. He goes to church. Sam tries to take his stalker Nicky on himself, and endangers his family. Sam is an idiot. I wanted to tell him to at least tell someone where he went towards the end. I gave it a star because I read it and another star because the basic story was good and the end was good, it was just the in between I didn't like so much.
Debbie
Exciting suspenseful book about the Trask family. Sam Trask is a successful lawyer. A Christian and family man. He does however, have a secret that he has hidden from his wife. He has a child by another woman that he knew during his college years. Wife-Linda-believes him when trouble comes knocking at the door in the name of Nicky Oberlin, who also knew Sam in college. Nicky is a psycho who hates Sam and wants to get even with him by stalking his family and kidnapping his daughter, Heather.
Diane Carlisle
This was a quick read for me. There were some legal issues and terminology involved, but Bell provides comprehensive material interwoven throughout the story that makes this so worthwhile and enjoyable.

The antagonist, Nicky Oberlin, is introduced in a creepy way and remains so throughout the story and all the way to the surprisingly creepy ending. That character is burned into my brain and will remain there for a long time.
L
Another great thriller by Christian author James Scott Bell. I enjoy his books, as he is able to weave a thriller plot without using crude language in the dialogue. This one entails a lawyer who is stalked/harassed by a psychotic former college mate. When the lawyers's family become targets, he is faced with the ethical decision of following his rage or his faith. A really exciting book.
Reepacheep
Riveting and terrifying--as a father I cannot imagine going through what the main character, Sam Trask, experiences in this book.

There is something about James Scott Bell's books that compels me go to church. I do anyways, but his books provide that extra bit of motivation to keep connected.
Karol
I did like this one. It was suspenseful to be sure. I had some problems with the main character, though. For being an experienced and seemingly smart/cagey attorney he sure seemed to lack common sense when he realized he was being stalked by a sociopath. But all in all, it was a book that had good suspense, decent character development, and some interesting legal twists and turns.
Vannetta Chapman
4 for writing craft.
2 for characters. The father is clueless. The teenager daughter is a stereotype, and the mom is a cardboard cutout.

James Scott Bell knows pacing, he knows plot, and he teaches a fabulous writing class. So I was a bit confused to find there was no character I could cheer for in this book. But maybe it was just me.
Jimmy
Good story, with suspense and seeing faith tested in times of trial. The family in the story experiences typical gwoing pains that become intensified when a "old college friend" of the father's (who is a psychopath) decided he wants to reconnect.
Ruth Ann Maynard
Jim Bell is a personal friend of mine. I knew he had written some books but this was the first that I had read. It was really good! Suspenseful and good. I would highly recommend it.
Kw
Thoroughly entertaining throughout. I love this author's suspense/legal/mystery books. Even better, the main characters are Christians. No obscenities, no blasphemy. What a concept!
Christian Tuininga
Good book...kept my attention...but it was just so hard to read. I was quite confident it would all turn out for the best. But the agony in the meantime was annoying.
Nancy Anderson
Good book. The bad guy was Very creepy. Couldn't quite buy Sam's totally emotional reactions..but there's a lot to like in this book ! I heartily recommend it.
Wanda
I really enjoyed this book! It was action packed and I couldn't put it down. This was my first book by James Scott Bell and I will the rest of his books!
Loraine
Once again James Scott Bell has produced a riveting action packed faith based suspense novel.
Dawn
Good Book - enjoyed the story. Lots of references to God and prayer.
Nancy Johnson
James Scott Bell continues to keep me riveted.
Karen
suspenseful, Kept me wondering
Caryn
Excellant Christian fiction.
Leanne Lucas
Leanne Lucas marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Arava
Arava is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
  • Elixir
  • Something Beyond the Sky
  • The Truth Teller
  • In a Heartbeat
  • Sacred Trust (Er Trilogy, #1)
  • Winner Take All
  • Come Spring
  • Unexpected Dismounts (The Reluctant Prophet, #2)
  • Simple Gifts
  • Sunrise on the Battery
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Beyond the Shadows
  • Another Dawn
  • The Trial
  • Angel of Mercy (Shannon Saga #3)
  • Dread Champion (Chelsea Adams, #2)
  • Escape to Morning (Team Hope #2)
  • The Bride Blunder (Prairie Promises, #3)
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...
Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between Presumed Guilty