The Stolen Princess

The Stolen Princess (Devil Riders #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  883 ratings  ·  68 reviews
From Anne Gracie come the Devil Riders—four soldiers back from war and forced to adapt to a new world. Here, meet Gabriel Renfrew, who rescues a runaway princess—and falls head over heels in love.

The estranged younger son of an earl, Gabriel Renfrew earned glory and honor on the battlefield, but now, without purpose, he finds himself deliberately courting danger at every t...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Berkley Books

Andrea
The Stolen Princess is a breezy novel about a princess who is on the run from a man who wants to kill her son. She encounters Gabriel Renfrew, a man searching for meaning in his post-military life: just the man to protect her and her son from a vicious and well-connected killer.

The story is entertaining enough, but it never really grabbed me. I had trouble taking the "Princess" part of the story seriously, and I wasn't impressed by the Princess. She comes off as a ditz, though a well-intentioned...more
Lover of Romance
The Stolen Princess is the first in the series, and I found it to be so addicting, I could hardly put it down. I wondered what this one would be like, especially since the last one I read was good, but didn't have me so enthralled like this one did. I love how charming this one was. I just absolutely adored Gabe. Gabe is not pure Alpha, he is so much better. He likes to take control and loves to be obeyed (he is a man and was in the military right?) and Callie just never does. She defies him on...more
Barbara M.
After the long and usually useless hunt to find an Anne Gracie novel I have to say...I'm sooooo disappointed. The storyline was pretty unique but other than that it's Rated PG with one little bitty (no pun intended) sex scene. The description of each others eyes throughout was the steamiest this couple got (Blah!). I don't know about you but I need more than that in a romance novel...

Gabe didn't have any issues whatsoever (usually I gripe because the hero just can't get over himself but there ha...more
MB
I typically don't like "Princess Books" (because there are some really BAD ones out there), but I read this one because it was by Anne Gracie. Although there are some inconsistencies and weak parts, overall it was a very engaging and sweet romance novel. The plot is somewhat improbable, but most romance novels are worse. The hero is "nice", protective, and has a sense of humor--all positives as far as I am concerned.
It had interesting characters with some personality and I look forward to the r...more
Booknut
Recommended for ages 17+...for those who like sweeping tales of danger, undercover princesses, dashing ex-soldiers, plenty of witty banter and of course a pretty picture of an England before our time, aglow with the magic of balls, fashion and scandals.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Cute and light with a fairy tale feel to it. Someone tried to kill her son and so the princess runs away to England with him to keep him safe.

Here come the Devil Riders--four soldiers back from war and forced to adapt to a new world. Here, meet Gabriel Renfrew, who rescues a runaway princess--and falls head over heels in love...

Deanna
Oct 23, 2009 Deanna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deanna by: http://theroyalreviews.blogspot.com/2009/08/stolen-princess-by-a
To read my full review visit here at Mom-Musings

Rating: 3.75/5 stars

Sometimes it is refreshing to read a story that is easy,fun and quick.
What is even better is if you can read a book that also makes some typical genre elements flow and not feel cliché.
The Stolen Princess is that refreshing book.

It was such a fun, quick and easy read. Most of the typical romance elements worked as the words flowed off of the page. Was I a bit "blah" about the quick and intense attraction? Um…yeah, but not eno...more
Denise
I've been on a historical romance novel kick lately. I really liked this one. It was much better written and more enjoyable than a lot of the ones I read in 2011. The only thing I did not like was the ending. Unless I'm missing some pages, it ended rather abruptly. Still, I give it 3.0 stars.

The secondary characters were very well written and I'm going to read the other books in this series. It was a good way to spend this lazy day. Happy New Year! Book 1
namericanwordcat
While this book shares some troupes with other Gracie book (knight in shining armor, big dog, even a the beach), it is really lovely how the H love the h and we see the h grow up in terms of knowing love is risk.

I do wish the secondary romance had been resolved a bit more and there was a little bit more following the last chapter but I suppose the next book will have that.
BJ Rose
I think I was more impressed with Gabriel's relationship with his half-brother Harry (illegitimate and shunned by the rest of Gabriel's family), and their war buddies, who together make up the Devil Riders. Also liked the relationship that Gabriel developed with Callie's son, the Crown Prince, and how he helped the boy develop some skills and self-confidence.
Jessica Kaiser
Supposing one star means offensive, two stars here means boring- horrendously boring. Obviously this is a quick read and a pretty predictable read, but there was nothing surprising about Gracie's narrative choices. If there was, anyone, fill me in? I couldn't finish it- there was nothing striking or interesting about the "chemistry" and "relationship" between the two leads.

And another note- I did choose to read this because the title is strange, isn't it? Usually we see an overrepresenation of...more
kris
Caroline is the princess of some made-up land that starts with a Z. Her son is the crown prince and will rule once he turns 18. People are trying to kill him? So she runs away and gets involved with Gabriel who...is a dude. He's like the 3rd son of an earl; he doesn't talk to any of his older brothers; he makes jokes at really, really poor moments... They fall in love, great.

1. Gracie's already unique tone felt oddly awkward here, as if it were unpracticed and underdeveloped. Several phrases th...more
Jenny Rebecca
Meh. I hate it when a woman has a child she is supposed to be protecting, then makes incredibly stupid choices that aren't in the child's best interest. I spent a lot of this book being annoyed, which is sad, as it had potential.
Chumchum_88
What can I say except that it was a wonderful read, okay my reviews can be a bit annoying a biased cause all of them are positive, and again what can I say I cant read something I know I wont like.

the story in itself was great, and as always the single parent sub-genre is always a welcome, my favorite character is the hero,Gabe, and the boy, Nicky. Gabe was an amazing hero in the story, you know the type of guy who flirts and is sweet and considerate and honest, and overall cute. Nicky was a cut...more
Jaymi14
Enjoyed this one by Anne Gracie. Her writing style is light, charming and witty. The characters in this one were so loveable especially Gabe who was emotionally mature and yummy too. I realise that in many of her stories, the plot is always centered on females in some sort of trouble who need help but they're not necessarily "needy". This is quite fine with me and those who don't mind indulging in a little good guy, prince-charming literature from time to time. A welcome relief from other romanc...more
Keri
It was slow for me at first, but it picked up halfway through and in the end was a very enjoyable read.
Saptorini
Halaman pertama lancar, berikutnya mulai malas, lalu membaca acak. Hingga kemudian malah membaca dari bab terakhir. Endingnya menarik, jadi, saya baca dari awal lagi *kebiasaan baru bulan ini: baca dari endingnya :D

Cerita diawali di sebuah kamar anak. Tiba-tiba Nicky (si anak itu) menemukan anjingnya mati di sisinya. Ibunya, Calli langsung mendapat firasat buruk.
Halaman berikutnya pembaca langsung di bawah ke sebuah kapal. Calli (Caroline) dan anaknya menumpang kapal (ternyata untuk melarikan d...more
Nadine
Ich war mal wieder in der Stimmung für eine historische, kitschige, sexy Romanze und meine Wahl fiel auf „The Stolen Princess“, da ich von der Autorin vor Jahren einige Bücher (The Merridew Sisters-Reihe) gelesen hatte und ich fand, dass sie sich durch einen gewissen ironischen Blick auf das Genre von den anderen Schnulzen abgehoben hatten.
Die Geschichte ist der Auftakt zur Devil Riders Reihe, im ersten Band geht es um Gabe, dem in einer sturmumtobten Nacht eine junge Frau mit ihrem kleinen Sohn...more
Fanny Roswita Ria
Callie, seoranf bangsawan Inggris, menikah dengan Pangeran Rupert dari negeri Zindaria, harus menyelamatkan nyawa putra semata wayangnya yang menjadi incaran sepupu dekat Pangeran Rupert, Count Anton yang berada di nomor 2 utk menduduki takhta kerajaan Zindaria. Perjalanan yang ditempuh dengan kapal selama 18 hari membuahkan Callie dibuang di laut yg lumayan dangkal tetapi blm mendekati tepi sehingga heroine bersama calon ahli waris takhta Zindaria harus berenang mencapai tepian. Disisi lain ada...more
Amy
The princess character felt unrealistic for a person groomed 16 years to act like a princess, and the love interest had a case of love at first sight, happened to like children and knows how to interact with them well, has a great sense of humor even though he spent his childhood traumatized and eight years at war, and has super warrior friends at his beck and call. Now, I'm not saying those traits are bad or impossible to have (I particularly appreciated the humor), but it just felt like too ma...more
Ewa
I probably brought DNF on myself by reading series out of order. I read His Captive Lady first, which is basically the same story. Nice guy saves damsel in distress.

It's just that this nice guy, Gabriel, was also kind of importunate. He kissed Callie out of the blue (this is common motif in Gracie's books, and sometimes it works, but this time it didn't) and then he proceeded to "flirt" with her during breakfest offering to lick honey of her hands and so on. Girl just wants to eat! Man.

The fai...more
Cruth
Introduced during the secondary romance of Tibby and Evan, Evan is equated to "Young Lochinvar", a character in the epic poem "[[ASIN:B004TS2CFU Marmion]]" by Sir Walter Scott. "Marmion" caught the public imagination when the poem was published in 1808. The stanzas from Canto V describe the courageous Lochinvar riding to save his love Ellen from marrying a "dastard".

I liked it. A nice, easy, Regency romance. Nothing...more
Betsy
Characters: Backgrounds well explored. Some growth.
World building: Standard regency
Plot: Endangered royal heir
Sex: Tepid to medium. Somewhat euphemistic.
Read another: Yes

The characters and plot kept me reading.
Oriane
J'ai eu un doute durant les premières pages, une intrigue digne de la dame en rose sauf que ...

Sauf que les héros et les personnages secondaires sont incroyablement humains ! Sauf que la princesse n'est pas une jeune évaporée de 17 ans mais une veuve de 25 ans prête à tout pour protéger son fils et préserver son indépendance toute neuve, quitte à essayer d'ignorer l'attirance immédiate qu'elle ressent pour Gabe.

Gabe est un héros attachant, je l'ai préféré à Callie.

Un A&P tout doux, sans gran...more
Gail
had to go back and check on this, make sure I remembered it right. I really enjoyed it a lot. The hero's a returned war hero who's getting a little bored with his life when lo, (and behold) a soaking wet woman and little boy appear on the top of the seaside cliff where he's riding late at night. She's a runaway princess, fled her kingdom because her son was almost poisoned. She's half English, born there, so she's come home to hide from the villain who wants to rule. The hero falls her instantly...more
steph
I really enjoyed this book a lot more the second time around (I want to say the first time I read this was about 3 or 4 years ago and I remember not being all that impressed? But this time around, much better). I really liked Gabe and Princess Callie and their story, of course, but who really stole my heart was young Nicky and the assortment of all the wonderful, fleshed out secondary characters that will continue to make their appearance later on in this five book series. But Prince Nikholi is...more
Shannon
***1/2
fun story, liked the characters, only big complaint is parts of the storyline seemed rushed
Dixie
Thoroughly enjoyed and if she'd given us just a bit more of an ending, this would have been 4 or 5 stars. As it was, the story ended a bit abruptly.
Brittany
Okay, I was not very happy with this book until about half way through it. Gabe was just way to controlling and bossy for me. It was seriously getting on my nerves. He did get better but I was not expecting a character like him from this author. In the Merridew sisters, one of the main reasons I loved the series was the men were not controlling. I really did not like that Gabe pretty much walked all over her for most of the book. I almost could not finish it but half way through it gets better s...more
  • Once a Scoundrel (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #2)
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • Every Night I'm Yours (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #1)
  • Scandalous (Banning Sisters trilogy, #1)
  • Captive of Sin
  • To Sin With a Stranger (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Sins of a Duke (Griffin Family, #4)
  • My Wicked Marquess (The Inferno Club, #1)
  • Charming the Prince (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • A Compromised Lady
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4)
  • The Bridal Season (Bridal Stories, #1)
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
  • The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell (McBride Family, #1)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich...more
More about Anne Gracie...
The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1) The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2) The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3) The Perfect Kiss (The Merridew Sisters, #4) Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)

“There is no need to shove, his duchess said snippily.
There is every need. Think of it not as shoving, but an affectionate nudge.”
3 likes