Start by marking “The Stolen Princess” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Princess

The Stolen Princess (Devil Riders #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,354 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
From Anne Gracie come the Devil Riders—four soldiers back from war and forced to adapt to a new world. Here, meet Gabriel Renfrew, who rescues a runaway princess—and falls head over heels in love.

The estranged younger son of an earl, Gabriel Renfrew earned glory and honor on the battlefield, but now, without purpose, he finds himself deliberately courting danger at every t
Published January 1st 2008 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen Princess

Jacob Proffitt
This was just . . . ouch. Way below what I have come to expect from Gracie. The background was just awkward, with a made-up country that doesn't really fit into Europe very well and whose details weren't very coherent and seemed to exist solely for story purposes (like the supposedly great horses).

But worse than the backdrop was the two main characters. Callie was a one-note ninny stuck in emotional-response mode even when things like the life of her son are at stake. Her plans all suck and her
Andrea
Jun 12, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stolen Princess is a breezy novel about a princess who is on the run from a man who wants to kill her son. She encounters Gabriel Renfrew, a man searching for meaning in his post-military life: just the man to protect her and her son from a vicious and well-connected killer.

The story is entertaining enough, but it never really grabbed me. I had trouble taking the "Princess" part of the story seriously, and I wasn't impressed by the Princess. She comes off as a ditz, though a well-intentioned
ARomanceLover
When her son, the crown prince is in being plotted against, his mother the princess whisks him off to England. There she finds a retired soldier and younger son who becomes the protector she has always dreamed of.

I though Callie, the heroine, was well developed but not so much the hero. In general, I don't like mother-and-son-in-need-of-rescue story tropes so this wasn't such a great book for me. Although I love Anne Gracie's writing, she really kept the story moving along nicely.
Lela
Sometimes I'm in a mood for a short sweet historical romance, and this book was just what I needed. A very enjoyable read.

3.75 stars!!!
Lover of Romance
The Stolen Princess is the first in the series, and I found it to be so addicting, I could hardly put it down. I wondered what this one would be like, especially since the last one I read was good, but didn't have me so enthralled like this one did. I love how charming this one was. I just absolutely adored Gabe. Gabe is not pure Alpha, he is so much better. He likes to take control and loves to be obeyed (he is a man and was in the military right?) and Callie just never does. She defies him on ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Cute and light with a fairy tale feel to it. Someone tried to kill her son and so the princess runs away to England with him to keep him safe.

Here come the Devil Riders--four soldiers back from war and forced to adapt to a new world. Here, meet Gabriel Renfrew, who rescues a runaway princess--and falls head over heels in love...

kris
Apr 08, 2014 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Caroline is the princess of some made-up land that starts with a Z. Her son is the crown prince and will rule once he turns 18. People are trying to kill him? So she runs away and gets involved with Gabriel who...is a dude. He's like the 3rd son of an earl; he doesn't talk to any of his older brothers; he makes jokes at really, really poor moments... They fall in love, great.

1. Gracie's already unique tone felt oddly awkward here, as if it were unpracticed and underdeveloped. Several phrases th
Barbara
Mar 25, 2009 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After the long and usually useless hunt to find an Anne Gracie novel I have to say...I'm sooooo disappointed. The storyline was pretty unique but other than that it's Rated PG with one little bitty (no pun intended) sex scene. The description of each others eyes throughout was the steamiest this couple got (Blah!). I don't know about you but I need more than that in a romance novel...

Gabe didn't have any issues whatsoever (usually I gripe because the hero just can't get over himself but there ha
MB (What she read)
I typically don't like "Princess Books" (because there are some really BAD ones out there), but I read this one because it was by Anne Gracie. Although there are some inconsistencies and weak parts, overall it was a very engaging and sweet romance novel. The plot is somewhat improbable, but most romance novels are worse. The hero is "nice", protective, and has a sense of humor--all positives as far as I am concerned.
It had interesting characters with some personality and I look forward to the r
Olga Godim
Jan 08, 2016 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
A princess and her young son, running away from a villainous murderer. A former officer, bored out of his wits by the stifling Regency society. Danger and romance in Regency England. Absolutely charming. I would recommend this delightful romp to any romance reader.

Jenny Rebecca
Feb 01, 2008 Jenny Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
Meh. I hate it when a woman has a child she is supposed to be protecting, then makes incredibly stupid choices that aren't in the child's best interest. I spent a lot of this book being annoyed, which is sad, as it had potential.
Booknut
Recommended for ages 17+...for those who like sweeping tales of danger, undercover princesses, dashing ex-soldiers, plenty of witty banter and of course a pretty picture of an England before our time, aglow with the magic of balls, fashion and scandals.
Carolina
3.5

Una historia bonita y entretenida, perfecta para echar el rato. Poco más.
Chumchum_88
What can I say except that it was a wonderful read, okay my reviews can be a bit annoying a biased cause all of them are positive, and again what can I say I cant read something I know I wont like.

the story in itself was great, and as always the single parent sub-genre is always a welcome, my favorite character is the hero,Gabe, and the boy, Nicky. Gabe was an amazing hero in the story, you know the type of guy who flirts and is sweet and considerate and honest, and overall cute. Nicky was a cut
Deanna
Aug 22, 2009 Deanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deanna by: http://theroyalreviews.blogspot.com/2...
To read my full review visit here at Mom-Musings

Rating: 3.75/5 stars

Sometimes it is refreshing to read a story that is easy,fun and quick.
What is even better is if you can read a book that also makes some typical genre elements flow and not feel cliché.
The Stolen Princess is that refreshing book.

It was such a fun, quick and easy read. Most of the typical romance elements worked as the words flowed off of the page. Was I a bit "blah" about the quick and intense attraction? Um…yeah, but not eno
Ewa
I probably brought DNF on myself by reading series out of order. I read His Captive Lady first, which is basically the same story. Nice guy saves damsel in distress.

It's just that this nice guy, Gabriel, was also kind of importunate. He kissed Callie out of the blue (this is common motif in Gracie's books, and sometimes it works, but this time it didn't) and then he proceeded to "flirt" with her during breakfest offering to lick honey of her hands and so on. Girl just wants to eat! Man.

The fai
Karen
Aug 28, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
For me this is a story of empowerment. A woman finally free of dictatorial men to make choices, a child blossoming with acceptance, gentle guidance & encouragement, a man as a child who'd been discarded by parents/siblings, seen ravages of war finally finding a woman who'll adore & love him unconditionally.

The stark difference of the characters from the beginning compared to the end was remarkable. I enjoyed the development of the characters especially Jim and his poignant send off for h
Denise
I've been on a historical romance novel kick lately. I really liked this one. It was much better written and more enjoyable than a lot of the ones I read in 2011. The only thing I did not like was the ending. Unless I'm missing some pages, it ended rather abruptly. Still, I give it 3.0 stars.

The secondary characters were very well written and I'm going to read the other books in this series. It was a good way to spend this lazy day. Happy New Year! Book 1
BJ Rose
Feb 22, 2009 BJ Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-regency
I think I was more impressed with Gabriel's relationship with his half-brother Harry (illegitimate and shunned by the rest of Gabriel's family), and their war buddies, who together make up the Devil Riders. Also liked the relationship that Gabriel developed with Callie's son, the Crown Prince, and how he helped the boy develop some skills and self-confidence.
namericanwordcat
While this book shares some troupes with other Gracie book (knight in shining armor, big dog, even a the beach), it is really lovely how the H love the h and we see the h grow up in terms of knowing love is risk.

I do wish the secondary romance had been resolved a bit more and there was a little bit more following the last chapter but I suppose the next book will have that.
Frances
Jun 21, 2009 Frances rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, right off the bat, I don't like stories about imaginary countries. Second, I don't like books that have no plot, no interesting characters, and no interesting dialogue. Finally, how can an author write. really good books and really crummy books?
Alexa
Jan 08, 2016 Alexa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fab-16
Amusing and fresh in a few spots, but the holes in the plot were annoying, and not enough time was spent in drawing the characters, which resulted in my not caring much about them.
Lyssa
Feb 15, 2015 Lyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was lighthearted, silly fun. Any story that contains a runaway princess can't be taken seriously; however, the plot was saved from ridiculousness by good writing and witty characters.
Keri
Jan 05, 2013 Keri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was slow for me at first, but it picked up halfway through and in the end was a very enjoyable read.
Nicqui
Not as fun as the Merridew Sisters or the Chance Sisters but it was ok - 3 stars.
Elena
Mar 30, 2014 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical, adult
Thenia
The story of Callie, a princess who's run away with her son Nicky, and Gabriel, the man whom she stumbles upon just as she arrives in England, lost and desperate.

Gabriel is very excited about meeting Callie and Nicky, both because they are a distraction from the boredom plaguing him after leaving the war, and because he enjoys the challenge they present.

Callie is understandably cautious, (view spoiler)
Poschina
Jan 03, 2017 Poschina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Allora….il libro parte piuttosto bene. Lei è la principessa di un paese che, per comodità, chiameremo Staceppa. Fugge da casa perchè qualcuno vuole assassinarle il figlio e finisce tra rocambolesche avventure nella proprietà di Gabriel, bello, ferito nell’anima e terzogenito inutile di una famiglia altrettanto inutile. Tutto bello, carino, simpatico se non fosse che lei lo tratta di merda e lui cmq la trova un bocconcino affascinante e non la fanculizza MAI.
Essendo il Buono dei Buoni, ha già cap
Loreto
Jan 15, 2017 Loreto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad 3,5*. Me ha encantado el personaje de Gabe.
Fanny Roswita Ria
Callie, seoranf bangsawan Inggris, menikah dengan Pangeran Rupert dari negeri Zindaria, harus menyelamatkan nyawa putra semata wayangnya yang menjadi incaran sepupu dekat Pangeran Rupert, Count Anton yang berada di nomor 2 utk menduduki takhta kerajaan Zindaria. Perjalanan yang ditempuh dengan kapal selama 18 hari membuahkan Callie dibuang di laut yg lumayan dangkal tetapi blm mendekati tepi sehingga heroine bersama calon ahli waris takhta Zindaria harus berenang mencapai tepian. Disisi lain ada ...more
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Once a Scoundrel (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #2)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • My Wicked Marquess (The Inferno Club, #1)
  • Flamethroat (Fire Mage, #2)
  • Charming the Prince (Once Upon A Time, #1)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #1)
  • Three Nights of Sin
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family, #4)
  • Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • A Compromised Lady
  • The Secret To Seduction (Holt Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • To Sin With a Stranger (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich
More about Anne Gracie...

Devil Riders (5 books)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • To Catch a Bride (Devil Riders, #3)
  • The Accidental Wedding (Devil Riders, #4)
  • Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)

“There is no need to shove, his duchess said snippily.
There is every need. Think of it not as shoving, but an affectionate nudge.”
3 likes