Start by marking “Game, Set, Match, Champion Arthur Ashe” as Want to Read:
Game, Set, Match, Champion Arthur Ashe

Game, Set, Match, Champion Arthur Ashe

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This is a biography of African American tennis champion Arthur Ashe, a pioneering minority athlete known for his character, sportsmanship, and activism in social causes such as civil rights and HIV/AIDS awareness.
Published September 1st 2010 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Game, Set, Match, Champion Arthur Ashe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game, Set, Match, Champion Arthur Ashe

Kim
From March 2011 SLJ:
Gr 3-5–This picture book focuses on Ashe’s early years and tennis career through 1975. Hubbard paints a vivid picture of the challenges the young boy faced in segregated Richmond, VA, of the 1950s. Following his mother’s death when he was only six, he was raised by his father, who was a strong advocate in the pursuit of his son’s tennis dream. Ashe’s self-discipline in athletics and in his academic studies won him a scholarship to UCLA, where he helped lead the tennis team to
Matthew
This book took a while to read primarily because of the odd choice in font. The type was incredibly small, hardly readable unless my eyes were feeling like they were in tip top shape on a given day. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I need a book where the letters are at least size 12 font. It was an incredibly well researched text and after reading it I feel like I've gained a new understanding of who Arthur Ashe was, but it was quite a feat getting through it all. The illustrations were a bit ...more
The Sunday Book Review
When most people hear the name Arthur Ashe, they think tennis and automatically go to HIV/AIDS. This book does not focus on that and instead teaches readers about his life on the court. While Crystal Hubbard does touch on the fact that Arthur was also a great speaker, she focuses mostly on his game and the incredible barriers he had to overcome as an African American.

This is a great tribute to Arthur. I do wish however more focus was spent on what he did off the court as that is often overlooked
Jill
Even if you don’t like tennis, you can’t help but be inspired by the life of Arthur Ashe. It should be noted, however, that the majority of the book focuses on Ashe's game, not on his life outside the court.
Shanetia
As a native of Richmond, I was immediately drawn to this book. I have run in many track meets at the Arthur Ashe Center in Richmond.

I enjoyed reading this book. Thorough information.
Edward Sullivan
Admiring biography of the athlete who broke down many racial barriers. Handsome illustrations.
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Rhea Alexis Banks
Rhea Alexis Banks marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Trease
Trease marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Maria
Maria added it
Jul 28, 2011
Shaeley Santiago
Shaeley Santiago marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2011