Start by marking “A Taste of Irrationality: Sample chapters from Predictably Irrational and Upside of Irrationality” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Sample chapters from Predictably Irrational and Upside of Irrationality.

Predictably Irrational

Why do our headaches persist after we take a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a fifty-cent aspirin?

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're making sm

Published (first published July 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of Irrationality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of Irrationality

Deviant Geek
This isnt really a book, it's a sample of chapters from another book by the same author called the upside of irrationality.
It talks of really interesting facts regarding our society and it's most important factors and what roles they play in our lives and how severely they shape them.. Social and economical norms.
It's very fascinating. When he talked about money and selfishness. We think that by paying for something we own it and everything else related to it so we seldom think of other people
Nisa
I am currently a Psychology Major and so I was introduced to Dan Ariely's work, got to see a few of his presentations online, and got to read a few sample chapters from his two books in my Motivation Psychology course this past spring semester. Decided to read this to read more sample chapters, really enjoyed it, and I plan on reading both "Predictably Irrational" and "The Upside of Irrationality"

I definitely would recommend reading this book to get a beforehand insight on his work.
Vaseem Khan
Good Read. Some insights really throw "aha" movement
Iain Hamill
Interesting concepts, inspired me to read the full thing.
Ty
Some people may be familiar with Dan Ariely's academic work, as it was famously cited in the bestseller "Drive" by Daniel Pink. in this book, Ariely explores the counter-intuitive behaviors of human beings in a wide variety of situations. The experiment referred to in "Drive", where people were tested to see what the impact of tying large bonuses to their work is fascinating since it clearly shows that the pay practices of CEO's and Wall Street are fundamentally counter-productive. This type of ...more
Oyster
Financial decisions are often guided more by irrational forces than we’d like to admit. And it’s not just finances; it’s mostly everything we do. With lots of fascinating research, Ariely dispels the notion that we’re primarily rational beings and helps us understand how to live as we are.
Mark
Ariely's book is a collection of experiments that he and his peers conducted at Harvard and MIT. While these experiments do show that irrationality is predictable, it does so in a somewhat uninteresting way. Given the title, I was expecting more dialogue and conceptual thinking. Ariely does make prescriptions as to what we could do (as a society) to battle the plague of predictable irrationality that is so ubiquitous in most societies, but these prescriptions take second-seat to the descriptive ...more
Ichetuckneee
Jan 22, 2014 Ichetuckneee marked it as to-read
Read 3 of his books so far, so I know what is in this one, but it should be on my bookshelf anyway. Watch him on TED videos and then read his books. You'll have a much better understanding, I promise.
Mario
I reserve my 5 star ratings for books that I think everyone should read. Books that I enjoyed and with useful information that I have not (yet) found elsewhere.

Much of human behavior that you read about in the book is familiar to all of us. Ariely goes into a little of the why of it - and a lot of how we are exploited by it or could make use of the knowledge. Basically, not everything we do makes sense, and this book identifies a number of the common strange decisions we make. Great stuff.
Melissa Espinosa
While looking for a book that will help me improve myself I found "A TASTE OF IRRAIONALITY", tis book shows us all of the irrational, logical, human things that happen in our society and that sometimes we dont even notice them unless we really stop and think "what are we doing?". It is an interesting book that will not only help you understand a little more of what we do as a society but will also help you understand irrationalities that are not always necessary.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
I was bored and I downloaded this book from iTunes' free section, and it was worth the shot.

It's a book about modern economy, discussing principles such as the supply/demand concept throughout experiments and presents the outcomes of the experiments in an interesting way.

It also discusses motivation at work, the role social and economical norms take when taking purchasing decisions. An interesting book, indeed.
Ed
I thought it might change the way I think, but it didn't. It was fun though, and I learned a lot -- especially that the author likes to conduct psychological experiments!
Tanya
This free ebook is a bundling of sample chapters from Dan Ariely's books about behavioral economics. I was fascinated by what I read and plan to check out the full volumes.
Clay Teller
A lot like Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion which is also full of fascinating research on human behavior
Astrid
This book made me miss studying Economics. Blog post about it is on the Epilogger blog: http://epilo.gr/Wb45T.
Shameem Hasan
Excellent book ! Eye opener.
Krishy
Apr 29, 2012 Krishy added it
very cool concepts
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Dimple
Dimple marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
GAURAV
GAURAV marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Bakewelltart
Bakewelltart marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mateusz
Mateusz marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Baurus
Baurus marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Bongod Techakasem
Bongod Techakasem is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
  • 7 Ancient Keys to Happiness: A 90 Day, Lesson-a-Day Guide to Achieving Inner-Bliss
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • 31 Perfect Fitness Smoothies
  • The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • Mindfucking: A Critique of Mental Manipulation
  • Butterflies Are Free To Fly
  • The World's Greatest Idea: The Fifty Greatest Ideas That Have Changed Humanity
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Goddesses in Older Women: Archetypes in Women over Fifty
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government
  • Lose Weight Without Dieting
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Handbook to Higher Consciousness
From Wikipedia:

Dan Ariely is the James B. Duke Professor of Behavioral Economics at Duke University. He also holds an appointment at the MIT Media Lab where he is the head of the eRationality research group. He was formerly the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Behavioral Economics at MIT Sloan School of Management.

Dan Ariely grew up in Israel after birth in New York. He served in the Israeli army and
More about Dan Ariely...
Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2012 The Irrational Bundle