Black Widow

Black Widow (Doc Ford Mystery #15)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,137 ratings  ·  94 reviews
A cult of death.
A weapon of apocalyptic horror.
Juan Cabrillo must stop them both.
THE ?FASCINATING?(" BOOKLIST") "NEW YORK TIMES" BESTSELLER
Some women you love.
Some women you hate.
Some women you survive.
Doc Ford is drawn into a deadly battle when his goddaughter Shay is blackmailed. Someone filmed her at an out-of-control bachelorette party?and they want big money t...more
Published March 18th 2008 by Putnam Adult (first published 2008)

Scott Rhee
The Caribbean: a literal hotbed of animalistic pleasure and naked lust. That's what the travel brochures say, at least, and Randy Wayne White's novel "Black Widow" graphically illustrates it.

Okay, so I've been to the Caribbean once, but my experience was pretty much confined to a cruise ship with occasional trips on-shore for typical touristy traps like horseback rides along the beach, visits to beautiful waterfalls, walking through crowded markets to buy touristy junk, and getting wasted on mar...more
Marion
Randy Wayne White just cannot write a bad book. I have to admit I fell in love with the zany hippie/guru character, Tomlinson, from the very first and he's the character who keeps me coming back for more. I've gotten more hilarious one-liners from him than I can count. (My favorite is: "Weirdness is only weird if you fight it.") Mr. White, I demand a book with Tomlinson as the main character!!

My only tiny complaint about "Black Widow" is there wasn't enough Tomlinson in it.....thus said, I have...more
Joyce
I haven't read a Doc Ford novel in a couple of years since I have been reading new authors during that period. I had no idea how very much I missed him and his adventures until I started this one. Doc's goddaughter is being blackmailed and he gets involved. Tomlinson is very secondary in this, but Hooker is introduced and is well worth knowing. It is set in the Islands and is about revenge, psychosis, evil and greed. Does a plot get any better? The novel itself is most satisfying; the conclusion...more
Jimmy Henderson
This is another one of the Doc Ford books that I could not put down...loved it
Andrew
This is the 15th novel in the Doc Ford series. If you've read any of the other 14, you know pretty much what to expect: A little hanging out in Dinkin's Bay, a little marine biology, a little ocean / Caribbean travel … and a little romance and a little understated sex (not necessarily the same thing) and a little understated mayhem and violence. If you like that, you'll like this. If you do not … fill in the blanks.

Tomlinson does not play as large a role in this book as he does in most of the ot...more
Sue
Doc Ford's god-daughter has been blackmailed. Seems his god-daughter is engaged to be married in a few weeks and she took her 3 friends to a Caribbean island (St. Arc) for a pre-wedding get-away. While there, they met some island men and, as a result, were blackmailed. He serves as the "bag man" to deliver the money and then decides to investigate who is behind the scheme. He flies to a nearby island under one of his old aliases and then rents a boat to go over to the St. Arc, using his professi...more
Cheryl Klein
I was initially lured by the tropical descriptions and the NPR recommendation, but soon I was trying to decide which bugged me more: the superficially empowered damsels in distress (note to White: Having your ladies say things like, "I can take care of myself, dammit" before falling into the arms of your protagonist does not an enlightened novel make); the "damn"-laden dialogue; the evil blood-drinking hermaphrodite villain (again, having your protagonist murmur sympathetic statements about how...more
Mickie
Jun 26, 2008 Mickie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: adults
Black Widow is the newest in the Doc Ford series. I read the book, then got the CD for my husband. We both love to listen to audio books while in the car--so much better than commercial radio stations.

The book was well written and a quick read. Some parts were a bit preachy (resorts that offer holistic massages and herbal cures), but well worth the time. Learned some Masonic History as well.

I also got to listen to half of the book as well. This particular audio verson shown below, is quite good....more
Kathryn Bain
This is the first Randy Wayne White book I've read. It was good enough to keep my attention. I was curious who was really behind the blackmail. The mystery kept me interested.

I got a bit tired of all the history on archeology, and the women were not very bright. But then to most men, a lot of women aren't. It's hard to fault a male writer for that. And quite frankly, he writes mainly for men so he can get away with it. If he were writing to a female audience, he'd be eaten alive.

The suspense w...more
Phair
Listened to this one on audio- at first I didn't like reader George Guidall but I grew used to him by the end. Not my favorite Doc Ford. Not much Dinkins Bay nor Tomlinson. I did like introduction of the cool older British spy who could have been a model for James Bond. I found the story a little confusing but there were satisfactory conclusions. Doc remains one of my favorite characters- this one did not bring out enough of his personal past for me. I've always felt RWW's style to be similar t...more
Clint
Good beach read - get better as you read it. I love the kick ass Doc Ford.
Nancy Banfield
I love Doc Ford. But this had too much Caribbean and not enough South Florida.
Ralph McEwen
A really good quick read. I read it in just 1 day. I didn't realized that it was part of a series when I started reading, but it became obvious after a few chapters. The characters all knew each other too well and allusions to previous encounters made the series connection hard to miss. That being said the story is completely readable as a stand alone. It is a well paced story, that starts by pulling you in then building in action and suspense, to the conclusion then finishes well tying up loose...more
Judy
Mar 05, 2011 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: adults
I have to admit, a Doc Ford book is a wonderfully guilty pleasure for me. This one was just as fun as expected. Most of it takes place in the western Caribbean, on a fictitious island called Saint Arc. Some very nasty and some bizarre characters, some blackmail, a little torture and murder... This may be the first book in this series where Doc is taking direction from someone else and where he meets someone just as smart and well-trained, and in great shape. Fun reading!
Judith Cartisano
My first time reading this author and I wasn't terribly impressed. The story line held my interest and I did make it to the end of the book, but I felt absolutely no empathy for any of the characters in the story. Really, I didn't care what happened to any of them. And the main villain was just a touch too ridiculous for me. Still, it was reasonably well written. If you're looking for some mindless entertainment, this might be the book for you.
Darrel
I'm a big fan of Randy, and while Black Widow is a very good book, it didn't have the zing of many of the previous Doc Ford novels. I didn't feel Tomlinson was involved enough in the story line and really missed the off-the-wall views Randy expresses through the character. I still recommend it, just know that the complexity of the tale isn't as deep as some of the earlier parts of the series. BTW, I would add a half-star to a total of 3.5.
Judy
Since I lived in Florida, and am a biologist, this series about a biologist in Florida - who is also a sort of James Bond - provides an occasional escape. In this one the scene was mostly Santa Lucia Island and RWW went off on a negative riff about massage therapists. What's that all about?

Not my favorite of the ones I've read as other interesting characters that appear in the books were missing from this one.
Mary Sue
Doc Ford is locked into a job working for the Defense Department or such, and while it is interesting scientifically, it disturbs his moral compass. Then he hears from his God-daughter and is off on an mission to free her from blackmailers.
Little of Sanibel in this book (big sigh) but lots of the mystic of the Caribean. New characters pop up who will no doubt be called on again in future Doc Ford mysteries.
Doug Cummings
I've listened to the last two Ford books on CD and couldn't stand the reader. So I bought the actual book this time. Frankly, I like the fact White chose to leave Tomlinson behind and let Ford shine on his own. Excellent pacing and suspense, a bit of education and a tidbit of romance as well. White draws all of his characters carefully and memorably. And Ford deals with the villains in a righteous fashion.
Ashley
Great book. It was intriguing from the beginning and stayed that way the entire way through. There were times when I didn't want to put the book down. The main character reminds me of the main character on that USA TV network show, Burn Notice. Some of the scenes in the book were gripping ones. I found myself holding my breath as a I read. All great books should involve the reader the way this book did.
Scott Bagley
My first try with this author. It's pretty much a stale "I really care nothing for any of these characters" kind of a mystery. I say "Kind of" because I didn't think much of the story or the writing. I'm no professional, but there were a couple of rather glaring grammatical errors in this book, too. Plastic characters, nothing I really want to return to for more. Nothing great here.
Andrew
I have yet to read a Doc Ford novel hat I didn't enjoy...and this is no exception. That being said, Black Widow is a bit slower paced than some of his other works and there is very little of the Ford/Tomlinson interaction that I have come to like so much. There are a few tidbits of information given in this book that paint a little more of his past. I am already looking forward to his next book.
Rachel
Doc Ford is asked by his goddaughter to help her pay off a blackmailer who has an incriminating tape of her and her three best friends partying on St. Arc. When the blackmailers don't back down Doc travels to St. Arc to track them down. The book goes into some pretty out there and somewhat silly areas but if you can suspend disbelief it's not a bad thriller.
David Ward
Black Widow by Randy Wayne White (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2008)(Fiction - mystery) finds doc fighting with a blackmail ring on an island off the Central American coast. There's an interesting scene here where a group of pilot whales attempt to beach and strand themselves in South Florida. My rating; 6.5/10, finished 9/4/12.
Becky
this is one of the doc ford series. doc ford is an engaging character, sort of a robin hood type you don't wanna cross. he bypasses the usual routes to justice and is a very satisfying and exciting read. very highly skilled covert op kinda guy, but retired, and with a soft spot for the underdog.
Melanie (aka Serial Reader)
Even though I know this isn't the first Doc Ford novel by Randy Wayne White, it is my first read of his novels. It's good, a fast read, lots of action, and a list of characters I hope to run into again in these serial novels. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars and can't wait to read another Doc Ford escapade.
Kate
Apr 29, 2008 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: My dad
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I live in the area that these books are written and I happen to love this series. That said, the books that have come along lately have not been as good. Why no more Tomlinson? Doc seems to be getting into more and more outrageous adventurtes. That said, it was a quick, fun read and I did enjoy it.
David Beck
I liked this story but I found it lacking as compared to the other Doc Ford stories, much of that I suspect is due to the subject matter which I found distasteful. Extortion of women who have been misbehaving in the tropics and overly detailed descriptions in some cases of their indiscretions.
Rlcohen
Latest in the Doc Ford series. Ford has found that he is bored with leading the normal life of a Marine Biologist and finds plenty to sate his appetite for adventure in this book. I have to say I'm beginning to feel a shade of James Bond creeping into the books. Not that I'm complaining.
Tim
The first half of this novel is incredibly long and boring and should never have made it past the editor. The story is saved by the second half which contains the relevant action and interest. 5 of 10 stars for this story that could have and should have been much better.
  • Key West Connection
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Bahamarama
  • Torpedo Juice
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Florida Straits
  • Trap Line
  • Mounting Fears (Will Lee, #7)
  • Only Child (Burke, #14)
  • Swan Peak (Dave Robicheaux, #17)
  • Hollywood Crows (Hollywood Station, #2)
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • A Purple Place for Dying (Travis McGee #3)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands