How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Professional organizer Peter Walsh presents this witty and enormously practical guide to getting it—and keeping it—all together.

With more than 500 easy-to-follow how-to instructions, How to Organize (Just About) Everything is packed with shrewd advice and insider tips to make your home, your workplace—indeed, every imaginable aspect of your life—run...more
Published December 15th 2009 by Free Press (first published December 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Organize (Just About) Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Organize (Just About) Everything

False Millennium
576 pages of a hardcover book, and you don't even get the burning of Atlanta. I didn't expect much of this book. I already have good organizational and planning principles in place. For a beginner? It might give them a jumping start, but there isn't enough detail in any one section to see you through, and then beyond. Plus so much is "fluff,": How to Become An Astronaut," "How to Win An Oscar." Amusing (and sensible) but a waste of paper. This book isn't supposed to be about waste, but rather co...more
Leah
Rating: 3.5 of 5

How to Organize (Just About) Everything truly covers "just about" every dang thing a person would need to organize. From the common, "37 Conquer Clutter," to the rare, "472 Fight an Ebola Outbreak," I daresay if you want a general overview on how to organize or plan it, the steps are in this ginormous guide.

I found the action plans too broad for my style, but I guess "broad" had to be expected from a book covering such a wide range of activities. Contents were organized into:

* Ge...more
Kristen
I found the sillier lists, like Becoming an Astronaut, Winning an Academy Award and Becoming President to be interesting and gave a good perspective. Also, there's a Pirates one talking about literal modern day pirates- people who come on your boat and steal your stuff, not rum-drinking one-legged pirates of yore. I hadn't thought of that before.

Everyone's situation is going to be different- it'd be impossible to write a book that addresses every minutiae for varying situation. But it's easy to...more
Jen B
I love anything to do with organizing, so I love books by Peter Walsh. His advice is usually very practical and makes the sometimes daunting tasks of organizing seem pretty easy. But I have to wonder what the heck he was thinking with this book. Some of his lists (How to organize your files, how to plan for retirement) are very practical and offer good advice. But then half the lists in the book are just kind of silly -- How to Become a Nun, Become a Rabbi, Develop a Reality TV Show, Become a Mo...more
Renee
Well Peter covers just about anything you can imagine. It is really overkill, and the book is quite overwhelming. I would have preferred a condensed version with diagrams or pictures on typical home organization situations. There were many topics that the average person will use such as, "Become an Olympian, outsmart Pirates (yes not a typo),plan to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, become a cowboy," I will give him props for coming up with so many situations and listing all the measures to take. Out of...more
Andrea
I am a dork and love to just read books like this!!! What is sad is I do not even have enough space to really organize much of anything. It would be fun to read through this again if I ever bought a home.

One tip I am excited about using has to do with an umbrella stand and wrapping paper....you will just have to come over to see what I am going to do with them.
I read this primarily for wedding information. It's very succinct; the kind of thing you'd photocopy and thrust at the groom-to-be to give him an overview of what wedding planning involves. The rest of the book covers an incredible number of topics. I might skim back over the closet organization! This book is HUGE.
Emlyn
Okay, I didn't read it word-for-word but there are a lot of good organizing tips in here... arranged like an Encyclopedia. I've been on an organization kick since the January issue of "Better Homes and Gardens." My FAVORITE tip is #183 "Organize an Archaeological Dig."
Jessica
Jul 16, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone in need of basics
I was hoping Peter would enlighten me as to how to keep the never-ending flow of receipts at bay in my home. Unfortunately, each section was too short for what I was hoping for at this time. I feel like I already knew the hints he was giving for what I was looking up. :(
Elizabeth
This isn't really a book your "Read". it is a reference book with, literally, info on how to organize everything. Someone else put a hold on the book before i had a chance to really go through it, but i will check it out again after i clean sweep my house.
Kate
This is a really great resource--an organizing book in encyclopedic format, so you can easily look up a current project, without having to read an entire book just to pick up an organizing theory with a few embedded tips.
William Schram
Mar 31, 2013 William Schram rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone really
Recommended to William by: No one
More of a reference than a book you read straight through, this book has exactly what it advertises. It has systems of organization for your broom closets and for your bedroom. Now I just need to act upon the advice it gives...
Heidi
This was very entertaining and a great jumping-off point for ideas to tackle projects that I've always wanted to. However, this is not the source to turn to if you need detailed organizing help for specific projects.
Megan
There were so many items covered that there was no meat to any of the items. And seriously - "How to have an amicable divorce" doesn't belong in a book on organization. Don't waste your time with this book.
Kristen
I obviously didn't read this cover to cover, but it is an amazing reference guide for organizing everything you can possibly think of. I'll reference it when I'm ready to tackle organizing projects.
Beth Yeh
I ordered this one having really enjoyed Walsh's other books. It was not as exciting. It was more of an encyclopedia than a book, so there wasn't an engaging point of view. So I skimmed it and returned it.
Carolyn
A good reference source for organizational ideas. Probably more useful as a go-to book for inspiration as needs arise, as opposed to reading through cover to cover.
Jamie Lynn
This book would have been fantastic if I had actually did what it told me to do. Maybe one day I'll get it from the library again and actually follow what it says.
Maren
A good reference I suppose, but it lacks creativity. I guess wanted pictures, vision, but it didn't work for me. It was not inspiring like his book, It's All Too Much.
Melanie
This book covered way too many topics, but none of them very well. It had some good ideas, but way too much stuff to look through before finding the gems.
Book Him Danno
Enjoyed the book, but I need him to do this to my house and space. I want to declutter and get organized, but I don't have the time.
Malina
Jul 19, 2007 Malina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people
Shelves: help
This book of lists is fun to browse thru and a great starting place for projects. It isn't comprehensive, but more of guiding principles.
Melissa
I didn't read the whole book from cover to cover. I refer to it as I tackle a different room or area. I'll be buying this one.
Allison
Great Resource! set up like an enyclopedia for organizing litterally everything. Will use it frequently.
Kathy
This book's failure is in trying to be too comprehensive. By covering everything, it covers nothing well.
Melanie
I read this, now I am more of an expert organizer! Hahaha.. It was a cool book though.
Jessica
This would be a handy reference. It's VERY THICK and VERY DETAILED.
Lisa
This book gave me some great ideas on how I can get my act in gear.
Candis
Excellent bathroom shelf book!
Stevie
more of a reference than a read...
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do?
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys: The Seven-Step Path to Becoming Truly Organized
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
19313
Born and raised in Australia, Peter moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to launch a corporation to help organizations improve employee’s job satisfaction and effectiveness. He considers himself to be part-contractor, part-therapist in his approach to helping individuals attain their goals.

When not wading through clutter and large-scale disorganization, Peter divides his time between his work in Los Angel...more
More about Peter Walsh...
It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You Lighten Up: Love What You Have, Have What You Need, Be Happier with Less It's All Too Much, So Get It Together