Start by marking “The Dig” as Want to Read:
The Dig

The Dig

When an asteroid out of nowhere threatens to hit Earth, a space shuttle is sent to nudge it into a safe orbit. Venturing to the surface, three crew members become trapped as the asteroid suddenly leaves orbit, transporting them to a strange planet light years away. To find their way home, the intrepid explorers must embark on a dangerous archaeological adventure in this ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Aspect (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dig

Daniel
Dec 15, 2015 Daniel rated it did not like it
Za početak čisto da kažem da sam veliki fan ove igre tako da sam se baš radovao ponovnom vraćanju ovom univerzumu. I BAM koji šamar... Jasno je meni da knjiga ipak mora malo da se razlikuje pošto je skroz drugi medij ali ovo...

Sama knjiga bi mogla pre da se nazove inspirisana igrom pošto je promet ton, atmosfera a i sami likovi se skroz drugačije ponašaju. U osnovi priča je ista ali nedostaje magija, misterija i sve ostalo što je igru činilo interesantnom.

Ako čitate knjigu bez poznavanja igre mo
Sam Ang
Apr 28, 2012 Sam Ang rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi
Shelves: sci-fi
The full review is available at the following link:

I loved the game which inspired this novel. The Dig was a popular game back when there were no fuss about GPU or any high tech computing power; it was just plain old mind teasing puzzle game. You use your brain to the best of your ability to work through the story while enjoying exploring new areas revealed in the game as a reward of solving tough puzzles. Although the game was tough and I only managed to
Kana
My Thoughts
I loved this book. I was about 12 when the computer game and book came out. I had only played the demo version of the game and was hooked. So I picked up the book and devoured it. But when I went back to get the full version of the game, I was told that all the PC version's of the game had been recalled, leaving only the Mac.... I did not own a Mac (and wouldn't for many many years.) It wasn't until I was well into my 20s, that I finally found an old copy of the PC version.... so up u
J
Mar 22, 2013 J rated it liked it
This book was written around the concept of the PC game of the same name. Interestingly, the author was quite eloquent and articulate and had very little trouble disguising his plugs from the game in a shroud of well written descriptions and dialogue. This did much to carry this novel to its own very solid presentation and delivery.
The story centers around a trio of individuals who find themselves transported to an abandoned alien civilization. They wander and search for a way back home in the r
Ryan
Dec 14, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
The book is based on a LucasArts game that was, in turn, based on a Stephen Spielberg concept. When I heard about the game as a kid, it was pitched to me as a game that was made because they didn't find enough interest in making it into a movie.

In short, an asteroid appears out of nowhere that's going to enter a decaying orbit around earth. Humanity launches a mission to use nukes to stabilize the orbit. In the process, they discover the asteroid is or has artificial components.

So I recommend th
Mark
Feb 23, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
I picked this up years ago at the same time I got the computer game version. Played the game for a few weeks, read a few chapters, played some more. At one point I read ahead of where I was stuck in the game but it really didn't help me with any clues. I have to say doing both at the same time is what made the experience as good as it was. Without the game some of the book seemed a little off. But then sometimes the book went into some wonderful detail of some parts of the game storyline that ...more
Sparrow Knight
Oct 31, 2015 Sparrow Knight rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi-non-magyk
Truly, truly awful. Even the worst of the various DnD spin-offs are better than this. Now I know why I found it in the recycle bin.
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 28, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it did not like it
save yourself the time and just watch deep impact or armagedon
Michael Moats
Nov 15, 2016 Michael Moats rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
simplistic at best. not worth the time it took to read.
Devon
Dec 19, 2014 Devon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Once upon a time, Steven Spielberg had an idea for a sci-fi film that was thought to be so prohibitively expensive, no studio would buy it. But Spielberg's friend George Lucas had a video game company, and so they turned his concept for "The Dig" into a point-and-click adventure game. There was, apparently, a tie-in novel - from which then came this audiobook.

While the Lucasarts game The Dig has a wealth of issues (including mostly terrible dialogue and some dreadfully flat voice acting), the w
Nathaniel
Aug 15, 2014 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
"The Dig" was the one "classic" LucasArts adventure game that never quite lived up to the hype. Based on an idea by Stephen Spielberg for a film treatment, it languished in development hell with a revolving committee of writers for around a decade before they decided to make a game out of it instead...and then brought in Orson Scott Card to write the dialogue at the last minute. It's a game in which nothing much happens, and the player mostly controls a character wandering through large, empty ...more
David King
Mar 22, 2011 David King rated it liked it
The Dig is a novelisation of an old PC Game that was created by LucasArts. I would like to say that I have never played the game so I can’t tell you if it follows the storyline of the game or not.

But let me get onto the story plot itself, it starts out like a pretty standard asteroid on collision course with Earth story. As you can imagine therefore, at first I found it rather boring as I have seen & read this type of thing many times before. This boredom though changed to irritation though
Kyle
Oct 23, 2015 Kyle rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Overall a decent novelization of the game.

It serves to explain more viewpoints than the player experiences while playing through the game. The insight is welcome, although it's debatable if it should be considered canon.

Several key elements are altered in terms of physical descriptions of various encounters the protagonists experience. The characters are slightly more fleshed out but have slight tweaks to their personalities.

Some of the writing is a bit forced, as it has to roughly work to match
Chris
Mar 06, 2014 Chris rated it did not like it
Alan Dean Foster is one of those writers (though using this term to describe what Foster is is being extremely charitable) who can consistently take a good story and ruin it with substandard writing. The characters in the game were interesting and genuine. Foster has filled the book with terrible, brainless dialogue and destroyed any trace of humanity the characters had. He reduced them to cliche spouting idiots.

It's a real shame as the original game was excellent, this paperback trash really do
Kristal Cooper
Sep 07, 2011 Kristal Cooper rated it liked it
The asteroid-morphs-into-a-space-transporter was such a huge leap/cop-out that I was turned off early on, but the story ended fairly strong.

I still have to laugh at the synopsis on the back: "...too big for even Steven Spielberg to bring to the screen..." Ha! More like it was so far-fetched and random that he didn't want his name attached to it in any way.

I listened to the audio version while on a roadtrip and I do have to say that I enjoyed all of the sound effects. I even jumped a few times!
Rocky Sunico
Jan 20, 2016 Rocky Sunico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'd think that a book based on a computer game would be a bad idea but this one was very rich and both the game and the book benefitted from the amount of care and thought that went into the creation process.

This isn't just a guide or walkthrough to the game presented in the form of a story but is actually a very solid piece of science fiction writing in its own right. While not the most amazing piece and a bit simplistic at times, it's still a great read and something I don't regret buying.
Kevin
Mar 28, 2011 Kevin rated it it was ok
Actually ended up putting this down before completely finishing it. Which is a shame because I love Alan Dean Foster's original novels and most of his movie novelizations, but this was too much of a game walk-through with characters making decisions that only made sense when playing a game. If this were a straight up story of alien exploration I think it would have been much different but the game aspect threw it off and kept it from being very good. Disappointing.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 13, 2012 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An astroid suddenly appears and takes an unstable orbit around Earth. Afraid of the possible human destruction if it impacts a team of five astronaughts are sent to stablize its orbit with a series of explosions. After the blast, the mission commander, a female reporter, and a German scientist find entrance inside what turns out to be a giant space ship. Wisked away to the ship's home world, they enter a very unusual maze.
Dodie Reed
Mar 20, 2012 Dodie Reed rated it liked it
An asteroid comes into orbit around earth. A space shuttle crew goes up to check it out and make sure it stays in orbit rather than fly back into outer space. Two astronauts and a reporter go EVA to check out the asteroid and manage to get inside and find it's an artificial hunk of rock. It takes off and they end up on a different planet where several adventures await. It's a good book and I enjoyed reading it.
Alex
Jul 08, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
Based on the semi-popular LucasArts 1995 videogame with the same name.

The book holds on its own for the most part. Some segments are clearly repetitive. Just like a video game, when you have to take the same path several times to get what you want.

The ending feels kinda rushed, but the overall sci-fi old civilization environment, that the characters have to explore, is just as well achieved as in it's computer counterpart.
Cheryll
Jul 16, 2016 Cheryll rated it really liked it
I devoured this book in a day. I didn't know the history of the game and as I read it reminded me of the Bruce Willis asteroid movie so much I was bored, until the truth of the asteroid comes out and from that moment I was mesmerized. I could sense it's game aspect with constant challenges and puzzles but that added to its intrigue. Loved it!
Michal
Apr 09, 2014 Michal added it
A teacher gave me this book in middle school, if I recall correctly. Even though I couldn't remember the name (I kept thinking of Myst, which was a more popular computer game at the time I read The Dig), the plot stayed stuck in my memory. Thanks to Aerulan for figuring out what book I was remembering! Must see if my library has a copy so I can reread it now.
Annerlee
Jun 07, 2015 Annerlee rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, light-reading
The book was a good adventure story with lots of problem solving by a team of three astronauts stranded on an alien planet. I remember thinking this would make a good adventure game and only realised at the end that it was!! The book is basically a game walkthrough...

It was still worth reading though - good fun.
Frank Smith
Jul 30, 2015 Frank Smith rated it liked it
Came about this story years ago, when I first played the game made by Lucas Arts by the same name, which was completely based upon this book, strange reading the book after the game...
Not the best sci-fi book I've ever read, but far from the worst, it doesn't really lead anywhere with an extended plot or underlying message, but is a welcome short term read worth any sci-fi fan's time.
Mlowe89
Apr 10, 2015 Mlowe89 rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy this book. I got about half way through and had to stop. The characters show little to no emotion, there are WIDE gaps between scenes with not much explanation on what's going on. This Is as if a high school student was writing a short story with big ideas and poor execution, most of which sounds more like a summary than a story.
Timothy O.
Sep 21, 2013 Timothy O. rated it it was ok
This is not Foster's best book. It is a decent story but very similar to Randesvous with Rama. Humans in a vacant alien world who have to figure out what is going on so they can get back home. There are a lot of perils along the way. In some ways it felt like a bit of dungeon crawl though. The ending was a bit weak for my taste.
Chris
Aug 10, 2007 Chris rated it did not like it
Wow, this book was LAME. It reminds of some other poorly written science fiction books I've read--a pretty good science fiction premise, marred by some truly terrible plot, character development, etc.
B. Reese
Jun 29, 2015 B. Reese rated it did not like it
Shelves: abadnoned
Really wanted to read this because the concept for the game sounded really cool and I would never be able to play the game.

Boy was I wrong.

Got about 5-10 pages in and couldn't go any further.
Shauna
Oct 28, 2015 Shauna rated it it was amazing
This tiny book is hardly more than a novella. It is based on a Lucasarts game of the same name. It doesn't seem like much on the surface, but it is a really engaging and exciting story. I am becoming quite an Alan Dean Foster fan!
James
Jun 07, 2013 James rated it did not like it
I couldn't get past the second chapter. Perhaps I'll give this another chance one day, but it already felt like it was dragging just a few pages in. The prospect of doing that for nearly 300 more did not appeal to me.
  • Stargate Atlantis: Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Princess Ai: The Prism of Midnight Dawn, Volume 2 (Princess Ai, #5)
  • Robotech: The Macross Saga: Battle Cry (Robotech #1-3)
  • Stargate
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)
  • Full Metal Panic! Volume 2 (Full Metal Panic!, #2)
  • Shiva in Steel (Berserker, #11)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Dark as Day (Cold as Ice, #3)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 10
  • Where the Ships Die
  • Titan A.E.
  • Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3)
  • The Book of Ti'ana (Myst, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...