Start by marking “Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #10)” as Want to Read:
Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #10)

Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,266 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Revived by a secret manufacturer, a deadly drug called Bloodhype returns to the humanx galaxy, prompting Flinx and Pip to risk their skins to stop the scourge. By the author of Mid-Flinx. Reissue.
Published September 12th 1985 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodhype, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodhype

Jeffrey
Apr 09, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of cool science fiction but especially young men
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Found it on my own
Shelves: science-fiction
The confusing part of this book is where it fits within the other Flinx Pip universe. It is a poser. But Foster wrote it second.

This novel stands on its own two legs, and is a very good story. Read it even if you are not a Flinx and Pip fan.

The Vom, an evil entity of immense power and ability traveled into a galaxy controlled by the Tar Aiym thousands of years before the events of the novel. The Vom is a carnivore on an immense scale. Its sustenance, however is not meat, but the actual force of...more
Andrew Staples
Very much a ripping yarn. Foster pretty much slams his foot on the accelerator on the opening page and doesn't let off until the denouement.

The breakneck speed comes at the cost of characterisation. The characters are pretty two dimensional. Flinx and Pip have only background roles, with a pair of Church agents and a feisty freighter captain who seems the model for Firefly's Mal Reynolds in the lead. However, they're all pretty shallow.

Foster still hasn't got the hang of interesting female cha...more
Rachel Searcey
I've read all of the Flinx books chronologically up to this one, #10 in the series. Although it was the second novel that he wrote, there is little to no Flinx & Pip in this story.

Books 7-10 have basically been complete jokes when it comes to this series. I honestly can't believe how empty and pointless they are. It's like someone just gave him money and said "My only qualification is that Flinx makes an appearance at least once." This is the last Foster book I will ever read.

So the plot is...more
Bryan457
This was one of the very first Pip & Flinx books to be written, but Chronologically it fall as #10 in the series. This does cause a few storyline inconsistencies, such a Pip changing gender.

The overall story is that an ancient monster, the Vom, capable of consuming all life on a planet, is woken by some scientists and transported to the world of Repler. One of the Tar-Aiym, an ancient warrior race who was supposed to be guarding the vom enlists Flinx's aid in dealing with it. The whole blood...more
An amusing sci-fi tale and my first introduction to the world of Pip and Flinx... even if those characters only appeared for a tiny section of the novel. The VOM was an interesting being, and I enjoyed the universe.

Ruan Peat
I read this wondering why it turned up in my Flinx hunt, I enjoyed the book then realised this other character they met was flinx and he was right through the whole thing, so much fun! and well worth a read.
Nathan Johnson
Avoid this book.

If you like the Pip and Flinx books, there is no reason to read this installment. The main characters of this title are new and unimportant. You will only see them in this book.
Pip and Flinx hardly make an appearance in this book. Everything that happens in this book is barely even mentioned in any other books.

In this book Flinx contends with a mob boss. A stupid one. You are better off reading Trouble Magnet. In which Flinx contends with a mob boss, but that book is more interes...more
Andy
Like many other people, I read this book tenth as opposed to second. I did notice the little inconsistencies, but I'd say that they were quite acceptable given the fact that Foster wrote eight books to fill in the gap. It was easier to pretend this was a slightly alternate universe where basically the exact same things happened.
I enjoyed seeing Flinx from other people's points of view for the majority of the story as just a side character. Overall, the book had the feel that Foster had a story h...more
Joe Santoro
I'd call myself a Casual fan of Alan Dean Foster... I loved the 'Spoils of War' series, and have read a couple other Pip and Flinx books. This one fits right in, although if you really like the characters, they really make only a cameo.

The main character, Kitten, is a fun, tongue in cheek Bond-Girl tribute, and the book offers alot of insight into usual Commonwealth foes the Aan. A must read if you like the series, and a fun, quick beach book even if you don't.
Fred D
Feb 16, 2008 Fred D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: science-fiction
This was the third book by Foster that I read, after Nor Crystal Tears and Tar-Aiym Krang. It's the second Flinx & Pip book, and the second Flinx & Pip book that I read. Again, I really enjoyed the book and was quite entertained. I love Foster's writing style. He keeps you interested and in suspense. I love his creativity and his ideas. I have to admit, this book was a bit of a "shaggy-dog story". I could see what was going to happen at the end from a long way off.
Jessica
I've given this author trhee strikes, and he's out! When the title characters of the series don't even show up until 50 pages into the second book about them, absolutely NO exposition is given, subtly or overtly about how they got from their old situation into the new one, and the synopsis on the back bears only a vague resemblane to the plot of the story, I've just got to give up on an author. The premis could have been cool, too bad.
Bruce
With each Foster book I read, I become a bigger fan. This is the 2nd written book in the Pip and Flinx series, although the 11th chronologically. A little dated what with the casual 70's approach to sex, but overall I enjoyed it despite Flinx being a supporting character. I'd actually like to see more of the lead characters. Not great literature, but a fun read with a good plot.
Mark Bond
I first read this - and many other AD Foster books - about 20 years ago, and this book doesn't seem as good second time around - perhaps I am reading it through rose tinted glasses?
Whatever, I will not be put off! I will read AD Fosters other offerings in the hope that they are as good as I remember!
Morgan
I couldn't put this book down, but it is terrible. Imagine a James Bond novel in a sci-fi setting, with characters from all of Alan Dean Foster's other books mixed in haphazardly.
Peej Majava
Was a different perspective than normally written about Flinx and Pip. I think this sort of ties in with Tar-Aiym Krang. Love the whole humanx common wealth world Mr. Foster has created.
Peter
I have always felt that none of the later books were quite as good as the first although this is probably my next favourite
Larry
I got so far through with it and had had enough. Meandering detached plot with little structure.
Linda
It might be labeled a Pip & Flinx adventure, but they're barely in it.
Abby
Daniel
Slow start, but last half of the book was great, and had a nice ending.
J.b.e.
Found this in a pile of used books at the Safeway. Surprisingly radical.
DaNela
Pip & Flinx adventure story #5
*BIO*
colleen
read 10.18.05
Traci Burrell
Traci Burrell marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock Series, #5)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • The Genesis Machine
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • Counting the Cost
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • The Forever Hero (Forever Hero, #1-3)
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • Dragon and Slave (Dragonback, #3)
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing,...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)