Start by marking “Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames ” as Want to Read:
Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames

Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Act One of the epic saga of Enrico, a boy living in an alternate 1930s New York, where dragon fighting is the city's number one underground sport and the cause of his father's untimely death. Enrico's literal trial by fire begins here!
Published August 10th 2010 by Image Comics (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Four Eyes, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Eyes, Volume 1

Kristijan
Jan 18, 2016 Kristijan rated it really liked it
Simpatična grafička novela smeštena u doba velike depresije sa jednom malom izmenom. U ovoj paralelnoj verziji istorije postoje zmajevi i oni su glavni izvor zarade.
Dobar artwork, ok likovi, ok priča. Realna ocena 3,5 ali pošto su zmajevi u pitanju zaokružujem na četiri zvezdice :)
StoryTellerShannon
It's 1934 in New York City during the Great Depression and dragon eggs are a coveted item as they can be trained for arena fights which are quite lucrative. Wait, what? Dragons? That isn't in the history books but then this isn't your reality or world, people.

Enrico, a boy who seems to be barely even ten, loses his father to a dragon, comes to hate them early on and gets training to eventually go into a dragon cave with a bunch of other hunters to steal their eggs. It turns into a train wreck.

Wr
Jan 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The premise of Four Eyes is interesting, and provides meat for an emotional story which is well-depicted by Fiumara's art. Enrico is a boy living in Depression-Era New York City, and he and his mother are struggling to make ends meet since his father passed away. Enrico discovers that his father worked for the illegal, lucrative dragon-fighting trade (basically a dragon version of cock-fighting), and seeks a job capturing dragons in the hopes of earning money to survive, as well as getting reven ...more
Melissa
Jul 03, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic, dragon
I want to read more comics/graphic novels. I keep saying to myself you love art so much you HAVE to start it now. Well when I saw this on *Netgalley I was transfixed by the cover. I just HAD to check it out.

Four Eyes tells the story of a young boy name Enrico. Taking place in an alternate 1930's, his father is a dragon hunter. When his father dies one day Enrico and his mother are left to fend for themselves. Enrico is exposed to the world of dragon fighting and is soon well over his head.

I was
Sara J.
Jul 05, 2015 Sara J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Netgalley
Shelves: graphic-novels
I would like to see where this story goes... oops, no more. And the next arc is in September? And that's why they're releasing a remastered color version of the first one (from 2010)? Well, I will be looking out for it and the next arc. With so much to read on hand, I can wait... oh, yes, I can wait. Haha.

Compelling read with an interesting setting & premise. Brought to mind "How to Train Your Dragon" but only in that there is a kid and there are dragons and there are indications that the ki
Wayne McCoy
Aug 09, 2015 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames' by Joe Kelly with art by Max Fiumara is a story told in an alternate depression era New York where dragons exist. With that as a concept, I think you just have to go with the idea, or it starts to unravel.

Enrico is a young boy who adores his father. Imagine his horror when his father is brutally killed by a dragon. This sets Enrico on the path to the goal of destroying all dragons. What he finds along the way is a shadowy underworld of dragon fighting, and
Albert
Aug 04, 2015 Albert rated it really liked it
Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames by Joe Kelly is one of those rare, original tales that must be read and heard. Don't let that it is told in a graphic novel format dissuade you. This is high drama and high fantasy. A tale of survival and redemption. With some of the best comic artwork around.

In an alternate Universe, it is New York of the 1930s, after the crash and work is hard to come by. But on this day young Enrico and his family are taking a day at the beach. Families in this New York d
Patrick
Jul 03, 2015 Patrick rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Nice change of pace, and original story. I mean Dragons! enough said.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher.
Mark Desrosiers
Apr 03, 2011 Mark Desrosiers rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I read the back cover -- Depression-era NYC boy gets involved with fighting dragons -- and figured this would be a wacky minor fantasy comic. But no: this is a very tense, gruesome, and ambiguous work. I wouldn't be surprised if introducing fighting dragons to the 1933 criminal underworld becomes some sort of analogue to current 2009-11 economy.

Props to artist Max Fiumara who makes the dragons look alternately hellish and sympathetic, choreographs a couple gripping "battles", and renders wonder
Hyosun
Jul 20, 2015 Hyosun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

T
Killian
Jul 17, 2015 Killian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow, this comic was not what I was expecting. For some reason the cover had me thinking this was about rats and even though I had read the description I was so fixated on the rat idea that I put off reading it for a while. Regret, because this seemed like the beginning to a really, really cool story.

And I'm not just saying that because of dragon fireplaces.

And insane illegal dragon ring fights.

Though that is most certainly part of it.

The story of this kid watched his dad die doing something t
Megan
Drawings are fantastic, and the story is interesting. Right now the characters feel a little stock, and the story line isn't that novel, but they are well done anyway. Even if the story were terrible, the pictures make it all worth it anyway. Great use of shadow and light in the images, great image and page composition throughout the comic. Looking forward to future volumes.
Mystical Machine Gun
Four Eyes reminded me of How to Train Your Dragon, though this is more violent and nasty. Four Eyes tells the story of Enrico, whose father dies when hunting dragon eggs. The family is poor and Enrico decides to follow his father's footsteps and almost gets killed. He encounter this deformed dragon that he names Four Eyes and on he goes to save the dystopian world. The comic is very dark and sad. There's lots of blood and the dragons aren't really cute, but more like scary monsters. I really hat ...more
Theediscerning
Aug 22, 2015 Theediscerning rated it it was ok
An intriguing premise that doesn't play out fully – or not at least in the confines of this very open-ended first collection. We're concerned with a little lad who's lost his father in the days of the US depression – lost him to the collection and trade in baby dragons and dragon eggs, that get matured as fighting beasts for an elite coterie of gamblers. It's a decent idea, of course, but things could have been tidier, neater and cleaner – and given much better artwork, for many of the people he ...more
Katbyrdie
This was a weird little graphic novel. There was some confusion with why some people "believed" in dragons and others didn't. In some earlier scenes there were dragons flying above the city, and yet the mother continues to act like her son is crazy for talking about the mythical creatures. I'd get the doubt if they weren't commonplace, but I couldn't tell if they were suppose to be legends or simply rare. Also, my rating is slightly low because the story could have easily been told in lesser tim ...more
Bookstorequeer
Now, you may or may not know how much I absolutely adore dragons. Because I do. And this was satisfying because I feel like there's even more behind it, yet to be discovered about dragons and the like.

I don't often read historical or period novels or graphic novels so this was an interesting one. I could have used a touch more colour in the art but the style was fascinating (if a little confusing for me when the action heated up). The minimal use of colour added fascinating touches when it did a
Fines Massey
Sep 16, 2015 Fines Massey rated it really liked it
I didn't catch this when it first came out, but boy am I glad that Image has re-released this imaginative series.
Basically, it's about a depression-era New York City in which dragons are real. Mobsters in the city capture the dragons, raise them from eggs and then fight them so that people can gamble on the illicit games.
After his father dies, Enrico learns about this secret world. His father was a master dragon hunter and died while trying to get an egg.
The book ends with Enrico finding the tit
Arsnoctis
Actual rate
Enrico saw his father killed by a dragon, from that moment, everything changes.
He wants to hunt dragons, he wants to kill them.
We are in an alternative version of New York, in '30 where dragons fighting each other in a stadium full of screaming people.
Bad times for a boy.
This four chapter are forged in flames, steam and rust; illustrations are full of orange and black thick lines.
A good introduction to this story that shows a child that wants to be like his father was.
Not my favouri
Paul Allard
Jun 21, 2015 Paul Allard rated it really liked it
Nicely produced fantasy tale involving dragons

This beautifully-made comic collection tells the tale of Enrico, a boy of Italian origin who gets into the business of dragon-hunting when his father dies. This takes place in an alternative New York during the Great Depression. The story ends with the promise of more volumes to come.

Nicely-illustrated, the story is well-told although the lettering is difficult to read in the digital edition on a desktop computer.

Recommended to lovers of a well-told
Sam
Sep 24, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I received a copy of Four Eyes from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Four Eyes follows Enrico, an Italian boy growing up amidst America's Great Depression. He loses his father in a tragic and mysterious accident which causes him to discover the underground world of Dragon fighting. Thus begins his adventure.

I loved this story so much. I wasn't really sure what it was going to be about when I started reading, though I had a feeling it was about dragons or dragon-like creatures. The sett
B
Mar 22, 2016 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This was very interesting. It's all a little rote as origin stories are, but the combination of the setting elements is pretty new. I want to find out the mystery of what happened to the main character's father, but it looks like that will never happen.

(Not for young readers, although it looks like it from the cover.)
Austin Lind
Aug 30, 2015 Austin Lind rated it really liked it
The Untouchables meets Dragonheart.
I picked up the first trade not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The story is good, has kind of a noir feel with a fantasy twist to it. The art is excellent as well. Can't wait to see what comes of this title.
Chad Harmon
Jan 20, 2016 Chad Harmon rated it liked it
Set during the Depression in a world where dragons exist. Better than I expected. I've always hated Max Fiumara's art but it fits this book. His best art to date that I've seen. I enjoyed it enough that I'd like to see a second volume.
Kait
May 04, 2015 Kait rated it really liked it
Fantasy elements set in a working-class depression setting. Very unique. Was quickly drawn in. Warning: this comic series only has four issues, and I haven't been able to find any news or rumor of it continuing. I still fully recommend.
Misha Husnain Ali
Nov 07, 2015 Misha Husnain Ali rated it really liked it
I love the art style here. We start off in an alternative universe 1920's New York where the young scion of an Italian family watches his father die after hunting a dragon's eggs. The boy and his mother must now fend for themselves and the kid has anger issues.

I'm intrigued to see where this goes next.
Christina
Oct 02, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
Interesting graphic novel, set in the 1930's, Great Depression-era, with the premise that dragons are real and being captured for use in secret illegal fights, like underground cockfighting with gambling. The main character is a young boy who sees his immigrant Italian father flamed to death by a dragon while stealing her egg. Now he wants to become a dragonkiller to get revenge. The dragons are caught by, and the fights controlled by, the gangster guy, who clearly doesn't want a young kid under ...more
Ken Kugler
Feb 20, 2012 Ken Kugler rated it really liked it
Four Eyes is a graphic novel that was highly recommended to me by a friend. The story is about this young boy, Enrico, who lives in a hellish world set in the future. Enrico loves his father but when his father dies Enrico discovers, slowly , what he did for a living. I seems he found dragons and helped capture them. Enrico finds his father heavy duty fire resistant gloves and sets out to do what his dad did. He is just a small boy with a brave heart who pushes to get into this world.
This is on
Jessica
Gah! Soooooo good. The next volume can't come out soon enough!
Lissibith
May 10, 2013 Lissibith rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-trades, fantasy
A pretty grim, interesting look at an alternate history where dragons have always been a part of culture. So when the stock market crashes and the world falls apart for many Americans, dragon fighting takes a huge underground significance.

This is a great comic, hampered by the fact that it's the first and so far only volume. This acts as a great prologue to a story that we may never get to see. But the world is appropriately grim and yet fantastic, the characters are complex as allowed within t
Seth
Aug 12, 2010 Seth rated it liked it
this was really nice, except that it's undone. not finished. which it doesn't pretend to be, i guess. but it left me hanging. that does mean i'll be reading volume 2 when it's out.

so... there's dragons... which are cool, of course. but it's really more about the child of an immigrant italian family learning how to live in new york city (and the world) in the first part of the 20th century, with parents who have trouble making ends meet. i found it to be a very beautiful story. i'm also quickly b
  • BB Wolf and the Three LPs
  • Red: A Haida Manga
  • Troop 142
  • Dynamo 5, Volume 1: Post-Nuclear Family
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour