Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames

Four Eyes, Volume 1: Forged in Flames

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Act One of the epic saga of Enrico, a boy living in an alternate 1930s New York, where dragon fighting is the city's number one underground sport and the cause of his father's untimely death. Enrico's literal trial by fire begins here!
Published August 10th 2010 by Image Comics (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Four Eyes, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Eyes, Volume 1

StoryTellerShannon
It's 1934 in New York City during the Great Depression and dragon eggs are a coveted item as they can be trained for arena fights which are quite lucrative. Wait, what? Dragons? That isn't in the history books but then this isn't your reality or world, people.

Enrico, a boy who seems to be barely even ten, loses his father to a dragon, comes to hate them early on and gets training to eventually go into a dragon cave with a bunch of other hunters to steal their eggs. It turns into a train wreck.

Wr...more
Mark Desrosiers
I read the back cover -- Depression-era NYC boy gets involved with fighting dragons -- and figured this would be a wacky minor fantasy comic. But no: this is a very tense, gruesome, and ambiguous work. I wouldn't be surprised if introducing fighting dragons to the 1933 criminal underworld becomes some sort of analogue to current 2009-11 economy.

Props to artist Max Fiumara who makes the dragons look alternately hellish and sympathetic, choreographs a couple gripping "battles", and renders wonder...more
Megan
Drawings are fantastic, and the story is interesting. Right now the characters feel a little stock, and the story line isn't that novel, but they are well done anyway. Even if the story were terrible, the pictures make it all worth it anyway. Great use of shadow and light in the images, great image and page composition throughout the comic. Looking forward to future volumes.
Jenn Noto
I thought this was a great little graphic novel. I loved the artwork and the story line was something new to me. It's set in New York in 1934 during depression era, but with dragons. I very much enjoyed the main character, Enrico. The story is sort of how he goes from being a young boy then grows into a man, without him physically growing up. I quite enjoyed seeing how the story unfolded as Enrico's view towards dragons evolved.
Christina
Interesting graphic novel, set in the 1930's, Great Depression-era, with the premise that dragons are real and being captured for use in secret illegal fights, like underground cockfighting with gambling. The main character is a young boy who sees his immigrant Italian father flamed to death by a dragon while stealing her egg. Now he wants to become a dragonkiller to get revenge. The dragons are caught by, and the fights controlled by, the gangster guy, who clearly doesn't want a young kid under...more
Ken Kugler
Four Eyes is a graphic novel that was highly recommended to me by a friend. The story is about this young boy, Enrico, who lives in a hellish world set in the future. Enrico loves his father but when his father dies Enrico discovers, slowly , what he did for a living. I seems he found dragons and helped capture them. Enrico finds his father heavy duty fire resistant gloves and sets out to do what his dad did. He is just a small boy with a brave heart who pushes to get into this world.
This is on...more
Lissibith
A pretty grim, interesting look at an alternate history where dragons have always been a part of culture. So when the stock market crashes and the world falls apart for many Americans, dragon fighting takes a huge underground significance.

This is a great comic, hampered by the fact that it's the first and so far only volume. This acts as a great prologue to a story that we may never get to see. But the world is appropriately grim and yet fantastic, the characters are complex as allowed within t...more
Seth
this was really nice, except that it's undone. not finished. which it doesn't pretend to be, i guess. but it left me hanging. that does mean i'll be reading volume 2 when it's out.

so... there's dragons... which are cool, of course. but it's really more about the child of an immigrant italian family learning how to live in new york city (and the world) in the first part of the 20th century, with parents who have trouble making ends meet. i found it to be a very beautiful story. i'm also quickly b...more
Mary
I thought I was reading two by this artist, but it turns out I'm reading two by this writer. I think this guy is going to be my Doug TenAppel. That guy was just too cheeky for me. I guess I just like my comics dark and weird rather than just weird. And this is exactly why I love comics. Dragons. Dragons being fought Coliseum style during the Depression. It's a great start to what I'm sure is going to be a fun series. Plus, this art is seriously amazing, angular and beautiful and such deep colors...more
Cale
This is a beautifully illustrated tale that mixes 1930's era depression New York with dragons. And it works, surprisingly well. When a boy finds out what his father does only to lose him to dragonfire, Enrico decides to find out more about his father's work, embroiling himself in unpleasant places and worse people. Joe Kelly writes a very good child, and the story doesn't play out the way you think it would. I don't know what to highlight; it all just works really well together. I hope there's m...more
sweet pea
i was surprised by how much i loved this book. it's an intriguing take on dragons (which i've never been partial to), alternate history, and the coming of age novel. the illustrations are lovely and evocative of the 1930s. the story is layered. Enrico has to grow up fast and replace his naïveté with tenacity. i'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Dan
Read and liked this graphic novel. Will continue to read this series. The art was nice, colors and images. Story is good. Dragon fighting and the mob, but I like it. Would recommend to young adults.
Carrie Shaurette
This fresh and touching story of a boy whose father was killed during the depression in the profitable underground business of capturing dragon eggs leaves me eager for volume 2.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Rachel
This is FASCINATING. DRAGONS! Binge read it on a plane and now I'm aching to get my hands on volume 2.
Joy
After the death of his father, an immigrant boy hunts dragon eggs in an AU Depression-era US.
Stewart
Depression-era mobsters PLUS dragon-fighting? I'm sold. This was great.
Jen
Loved the art and the alt-world Depression-era setting.
Neal
Neal marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Magnus Nilsson
Magnus Nilsson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Clone4
Clone4 marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I Kill Giants Spider-Man: American Son Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2 JLA, Vol. 11: The Obsidian Age, Vol. 1 Deadpool Classic, Vol. 3