Start by marking “Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries” as Want to Read:

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  28 reviews

This is the eBook version of the printed book. If the print book includes a CD-ROM, this content is not included within the eBook version. Prepare to Be Fascinated

Why does the flu change every year? What makes glue sticky? What causes out-of-body experiences? Are all brands of gas the same? Will adult stem cells work as well as embryonic stem cells? Is one "horsepower" r
Published December 15th 2009 by FT Press (first published November 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Curious Folks Ask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious Folks Ask

Rachel C.
I downloaded this title as an e-book freebie. Reading it exclusively on my Blackberry while waiting for things, I finished it in about a month. On the one hand, I'm glad I started making use of the time; on the other hand, I'm appalled by how much of my life is wasted on interstices.

The Q&A format was perfect for reading on the bb's tiny screen. The contents were in convenient bite-sized pieces, and there was no plot continuity to worry about.

My favorite trivia tidbit: Synesthesia is a disor
Duckpondwithoutducks
This book was in a question and answer format - somebody wrote in a science question, and the author anwers it. I think that my favourite question was - how does a frost-free freezer work? - because I have many memories of taking everything out of our freezer in the basement and chipping out big chunks of ice!
Josh Hamacher
I was expecting so much more out of this book. Frankly, many of the questions answered I either already had some clue about, or else absolutely could not care less about. Probably a decent bathroom book, nothing more.
Breia
I read this book on my Kindle when I had a few bits of time here and there. Each question is presented followed by a brief answer. A lot of the answers had associated websites provided if you wanted to read more information. I really enjoyed reading about things I never thought of before and those that didn't interest me, I just skipped. Fun to read for those small windows of time. I also picked up another Curious Folks Ask book for the same purpose.
Saeideh Bakhshi
It was a boring book. I usually enjoy the format of Q & A in books, as it enables me to jump to the questions that I'm interested in and ponder about answers, however this book had some boring questions that I didn't really care about.
Theresa Abney
To be honest, I was not very curious about most of the topics covered in this book.

It read very much like a textbook.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
This book was free when I downloaded it to my Nook. This is the second book I read by this author.

This is the type of general science I enjoy reading. Seethaler explains what I need to known in a concise, easy-to-remember format.

I recommend it for all readers.
Jim Razinha
Uncle Cecil meets Mr. Wizard to produce a somewhat smart bathroom reader. Any curious person would be familiar with at least some of these answers. The scientifically curious would know more. Good for teens or refresher knowledge.
Monika
This book would be good for the consumer who has questions about scientific topics brought up on the news. For those of us with scientific backgrounds or who are curious about interesting phenomena, this won't be too interesting.
Sarah Wright
Very interesting.

Answers to a broad spectrum of questions are answered in this book (like what purpose to fingernails serve?).

I look forward to reading the next book and getting answers to more obscure questions.
Vipul
Dec 27, 2012 Vipul rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I found the book extremely boring.Like another reviewer mentioned, you either know the facts mentioned in the book or just don't care about them.There are too many good books out there to be wasting your time on this.
Amy
This was a free download that I read on a cross-country flight. Quick read, question/answer format, enjoyable. Some questions I skipped because either I didn't care or didn't understand what the author was saying.
Liked the little stories, but I thought the ebook format wasn't great for the book. This book seems like the type you want in front of you so you can flip around and pick up interesting tidbits at random.
Gizzard
Interesting answers to science questions. One thing I really liked is that the answers were science and no old wives tales or political agenda. Something hard to find in today's published books.
Kristin
This book wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I found most parts rather boring. The only parts I liked or found the least bit interesting were the parts about the body. I'm glad it's over with.
Eric Brosch
This book reminds me of one of my favorite series from years ago, "Why Things Are" by Joel Aachenback. I would highly recommend this for anyone who liked those books or others like them.
Andy
Lots of interesting information, but the reader-submitted questions could have used some smoothing over for tone. Some of them came off as weirdly antagonistic, and it was jarring.
Kennedy
Got this free for my Kindle. It is made up of science questions asked and explained. These come from a newspaper column. It was a very quick read and I learned some new stuff.
Matt Kelland
I learned a few things, but the tone didn't really engage me - neither light enough nor serious enough. However, it would be a good thing to give to a curious teenager.
Julie
This was another Kindle freebie so worth what I paid for it. Actually parts were quite interesting, like a series of essays on obscure subjects.
Kataboy
Nice summer reading just to relax. Nothing too complex but engaging enough to read in the beach and still have some fun.
Lindsay
Nice bite-sized answers to some common questions. I did know a lot of them, but some were new and the book held my interest.
Simply
This book was disapointing. I thought I would learn new things only to have it be filled with things I already knew.
Stacie
Interesting read with random questions and answers. It is easy to read and gives a lot of information.
Holly
Sometimes I just want something light and trivial to read. This served the purpose.
Jessie Verino
Didn't hold my interest like I thought it would.
SheLove2Read
Well researched but boring presentation.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • How Does Aspirin Find a Headache? : An Imponderables' Book
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Stupid History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions Throughout the Ages
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • What Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • The Fallen Sky: An Intimate History of Shooting Stars
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
  • 2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake
Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond Curious Folks Ask 1 & 2 (Bundle) Creepy Crawler Insect Insights Wacky Insect Factoids

“For example, the notion that getting chilled can cause one to catch a cold is dismissed as an old wives’ tale by many usually reliable sources.” 0 likes