Start by marking “The Lady and the Unicorn” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  34,284 Ratings  ·  1,561 Reviews
Set over the period 1490 to 1492, Tracy Chevalier's novel moves between a chateau in Lyons and the cities of Paris and Brussels. The story concerns a series of six Flemish tapestries known as the lady and the unicorn tapestries.
Published January 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Lady and the Unicorn, please sign up.

Marilyn I wouldn't! I'm bailing out after a few chapters. The 14 year old virgin daughter of a nobleman hiding under a table and groping the crotch of the…moreI wouldn't! I'm bailing out after a few chapters. The 14 year old virgin daughter of a nobleman hiding under a table and groping the crotch of the artist (she'd only met for a few minutes) was not only vulgar, it defied belief. Just no. (less)

CatarinaG
Apr 18, 2008 CatarinaG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laura Ana T.
Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!
I found Lady and the Unicorn even better than Girl with a Pearl Earring. I felt utterly transported to the middle ages and immersed in a very good tale, immaculately told.
As she did with The Girl With the Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier takes a classic work of art and artfully spins a tale inspired by the original which becomes an original itself.
It was specially fascinating living among the Brussels weavers and coming to understand the magnitude of their task. One
Julie
In the same vein as her book Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Lady and the Unicorn is a fictional account of the story surrounding the creation of the famed Lady and the Unicorn Tapestries, now housed at the Musee national du Moyen-Age (Musee Cluny) in Paris. This topic was particularly intriguing to me, since I'd seen the tapestries in person back in 2001.

While the book provides a really interesting up-close look at the design and weaving processes, I could have done with out the rest of the stor
katherine brown
Jul 24, 2007 katherine brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to waste their time on a terrible book
What I learned from this book is I should never ever read anything by this author ever again. A friend of mine was enthralled by The Virgin Blue and requested I read it. Although I hated it I thought I'd possibly give The Lady and the Unicorn a chance since I love art history. Sadly, I cannot say I liked a single thing about this book. I hated the plot, story, characters and writing style. Hated.
Morticia Adams
I hope someone has pointed out to Tracy Chevalier that if you are going to have seven different narrators for your story, you really need to give each of them a distinctive voice. This is a major failing of this novel, which I found plodding and flat, and lacking in any genuine exploration of character or motivation. The harsh working lives of the weavers are described in some detail but the description doesn't connect with the characters. And also, if you are going to use the first person in a ...more
Helvry Sinaga
Jun 04, 2011 Helvry Sinaga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sekumpulan permadani ditemukan pada tahun 1841 oleh Prosper Mérimée, seorang dramawan, sejarawan, dan arkeolog Prancis bersama dengan temannya, George Sand. Mereka menemukannya ketika menginap di Château de Boussac Prancis tengah. Ternyata permadani itu bukan sembarang permadani, itu adalah permadani dari abad pertengahan yang akhirnya membawa kontribusi besar pada sejarah abad pertengahan Prancis.

Siapa sebenarnya perancang atau pembuat permadani ini sebenarnya tidak diketahui. Tracy Chevalier '
Chrissie
I am impressed. I never thought this book would be as lovely as Girl with a Pearl Earring: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...! First let me just explain that this is a book of historical fiction. In the Museé National du Moyen-Age we can today see the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries. They are six tapestries, each representing one of our five senses:
sight, sound, smell, touch, taste and the sixth, that one is known as Á Mon Seul Désir, for these words are found woven there. In English the
Elizabeth
Was hoping to enjoy The Lady and the Unicorn after reading Burning Bright a few years earlier, which is, to be honest, far superior to this. After the action moves away from the Le Viste family, it kind of goes downhill from there. Nicholas is thoroughly unlikeable as a character (whether this was meant to be deliberate or not, I couldn't tell). The only interesting person was Genevieve de Nanterre. Also, what's the deal with Chevalier missing out on the chance to use Jean Le Viste's narrative v ...more
Jan
Jul 14, 2013 Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schlock
If I ever read the word maidenhead again in a novel, I will vomit from the flashback of reading this book.
Mia Prasetya
Ini yang disebut dengan a great historical romance novel!

Buku dengan latar belakang Perancis tahun 1490 bercerita tentang Nicholas yang ditugaskan bangsawan kaya untuk membuat permadani demi merayakan kenaikan pangkatnya. Tidak hanya itu novel ini juga menceritakan sepak terjang pelukis berbakat namun genitnya yang tidak ketulungan dengan berbagai wanita yang ia temui. Mulai dari anak bangsawan yang menyewanya sampai anak gadis tukang tenun permadani.

Uniknya, Lady dan Unicorn diceritakan dari su
Blodeuedd Finland
Everyone was kind of an idiot in this one.

We have the stuck up nobleman who thinks he is all that.
We have the artist who thinks he is god's gift to women. Ugh, what an ass. I wanted to slap him.
The nobleman's stupid daughter, God, what an idiot.

Then we moved on to Brussels to see the tapestry being made. Ok, that family was better. The daughter was better, but still, oh girl.

I think the only sane person was the maid for the rich family. Sure she made mistakes too, but, I understood her.

But the b
Kelsey
Apr 20, 2008 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy Chevalier
New York: Penguin, 2004
250 pp. $23.95
0-525-94767-1
“The Lady and the Unicorn,” written by Tracy Chevalier, is a historical fiction novel about medieval French tapestries which depict a woman seducing a unicorn. Although not much is known about the tapestries, Tracy Chevalier has written an excellent love story based on the few known facts. Jean Le Viste, a French nobleman, commissions a Parisian painter, Nicolas des Innocents, to create a set of six tapestri
Jackie
Jan 18, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Le Viste commissions painter Nicholas des Innocents to design six tapestries that will be hung in a grand hall within his magnificent Paris home. Jean is a conniving, deviously ambitious nobleman with a depressed wife and three daughters. The oldest daughter, Claude is beautiful and falls head over heals for Nicholas. Of course, this love is not meant to be, as Claude is nobility and Nicholas is just a mere painter, not to mention a womanizer and scoundrel, yet he is deliciously appealing. ...more
Emma
Nov 19, 2011 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of why I typically try to have as few preconceptions about novels as possible -- I avoid the summaries on the inside flap/back cover, rarely read reviews past the first few lines, and never examine cover art too closely. Otherwise, I start forming expectations of plot lines, style, and tone for the book, and usually end up (perhaps unfairly) disappointed when the book doesn't measure up.

All that to say, I've seen the tapestries on which this book is based, and I was really
Yana
Oct 31, 2008 Yana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A set of medievel tapestries hang today in a chamber in Paris,portaying a women's seduction of a unicorn. The story behind the tapestry is unknown, but Tracy Chevalier weaves fact and fiction to help us unfold the story with her book,"The Lady and the Unicorn".
The story takes place in 1490, Paris about a French nobleman who commisions six tapestries to be made, celebrating his rising status in court. He hires Nicolas des Innocents to design them, but Nicolas adds his own twist to the work and
Ceki
Jan 13, 2015 Ceki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, art
It seems that Tracy Chevalier's writing and moi simply cannot get along. I remember that I disliked Falling Angels but this one is even worse. The characters are annoying, two-dimensional and irritating. I couldn't relate or connect to any of them and my anger reached the boiling point so much that I wished most of them dead.
Now I feel sceptical and I wish to revise Girl With a Pearl Earring because I can't remember what I like about it either, and I read it in the primary school!
Ceilidh
Apr 06, 2013 Ceilidh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly clunky and just flat-out dull. If you've read Girl With a Pearl Earring you can pretty much track where this story's going to go. It's very predictable and the sexual subplots were laughable in places. Sorry, Ms Chevalier, but this was just not worth my time, even for the really lovely scenes describing the tapestries (and those tapestries are amazing. Seriously, google them).
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 21, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, fantasy, fiction, france
Surprisingly not having very much at all to do with unicorns, this novel is a very well-written interpretation and fictional explanation for the famous tapestry of a lady and a unicorn in France.
Sarah B.
Mar 18, 2012 Sarah B. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
Zorana Mitrović
Роман спада у жанр драма/љубавни, међутим, сви они који очекују неку срцепарајућу љубавну причу - разочараће се.
Трејси Шевалије није писац љубавних романа, она је неко ко се заинтересује одређеним уметничким делом, занатом, историјском личношћу или догађајем, затим се посвети њеном проучавању, детаљном истраживању и прикупљању информација и на основу тога исплете љубавну/породичну причу како би читаоцима на најбољи могући начин представила предмет своје фасцинације.

За разлику од великог броја
Susanne
Dreh- und Angelpunkt dieses historischen Romans sind die Wandteppiche "Dame mit dem Einhorn", die man heute noch im Pariser Museum Cluny bewundern kann. Die Geschichte konzentriert sich dabei ganz auf die (vermuteten) zwei Jahre ihres Entstehens von 1490 bis 1492 in Paris und Brüssel. Tracey Chevalier ist es wirklich gelungen, die spätmittelalterliche Welt des adligen Pariser Auftraggebers und vor allem die Werkstatt des Brüssler Wirkers, also des Tapisserieherstellers, zum Leben zu erwecken, in ...more
Jean Marie
Sometimes it's those little books that you find on the discount shelf for $2 that are the best. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into with this book, I had never heard of these tapestries before I read the book.
The books mixes the fiction and the history incredibly well so well that I found myself looking up the names to see if they were purely fiction or had actually lived. The main character, aside from the tapestries themselves, Nicolas de Innocents is the painter of the origin
Apr 18, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: CatarinaG
The story of The Lady and the Unicorn is quite interesting: according to the author they were rediscovered by Prosper Merimee in 1841 and he found them in poor condition. Georges Sand became their champion, writing about them in articles, novels and her journal. In 1992 the French government bought the tapestries for the Musee de Cluny in Paris - where they still hang, restored and in a specially appointed room.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as The Girl with a Pearl Earring. And certainly Chri
Deborah Pickstone
I have never quite clicked with Tracy Chevalier. Her subject matter is always attractive to me but the writing I find stiff; it's as if I can't quite get close enough to 'see'....whatever I am missing. So I never quite get involved in her story. My experience of this book followed the same pattern.
Tina
Aug 03, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Threads of history and fiction interestingly woven together, creating colourful symbolism and story telling.
I have always admired this tapestry and will surely revisit it with new eyes and wonder.
Anna
I read one Tracy Chevalier book before this one, "Remarkable Creatures", and liked it well enough. I enjoyed reading it, although it did not make my list of favorite reads of 2016. It was simple, clear, and not a huge time commitment, and I expected something similar from "The Lady and the Unicorn".

Unfortunately, I was hugely disappointed. Almost every character in this book is a big jerk. I like complex characters and not every character has to be likable, but when every character is unlikeable
Michele
Jun 20, 2007 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh! What a Tale She Weaves

This is my favorite kind of book. One to pick up, savor each word and never want to put down. Chevalier has a rich imagination, basing this historical fiction on an existing series of fine tapestries with questionable (undocumented) history, and telling the story through (nearly) all involved in their creation.

We begin with the painter, Nicolas des Innocents, who conceptualizes the stories and major symbolisms of the work. A womanizer, he's brash and vain, yet his charm
Heather
I liked this one okay. I started to enjoy it more in the second half of the book and that’s what bumped the rating up to 3 stars. The writing wasn’t as beautiful and textured as it was in The Girl With a Pearl Earring, which is one of my all time favorite books. Overall, I thought the writing was flat and felt kind of lifeless. I missed the lush descriptions that made the scenes in Pearl Earring just come alive. I also thought the sexual thread that ran throughout the story lacked the tension th ...more
Harley
Jun 30, 2010 Harley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I began reading this book, I realized I had read it before, but since it was a good story I read it again. Tracy Chevalier has made a career of writing novels about art. She tells the story of the creation of the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries through the voices of multiple characters and mixes in class, sex and pregnancies. Nicolas Des Innocents is a French painter who is commissioned to design the tapestries for Jean Le Viste, a French nobleman. Jean wants a painting of war and horses, b ...more
Tracey
Aug 17, 2008 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, history, 4-star
I like the way Chevalier works; I like the way a work of art is used as a focus and a catalyst. I don’t like most of her characters, which makes the books rather chilly reads; there’s a distance kept between the reader and the inhabitants of the book which isn’t unlike that between a viewer and the inhabitants of a painting. Even when you’re inside the head of one of the more sympathetic characters at a very intense moment there’s still a certain detachment. The chapters rotate POV among a selec ...more
Clio
Jul 21, 2016 Clio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Έχουμε και λέμε. Με το "μην κρίνεις ένα βιβλίο από το εξώφυλλο του" γενικά συμφωνώ. Το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο όμως είναι τόσο όμορφο όσο και το εξώφυλλο του.

Πραγματεύεται τις ταπισερί της Κυρίας και του Μονόκερου οι οποίες πιθανόν υφάνθηκαν περί τα τέλη του δέκατου πέμπτου αιώνα. Παρ'όλα αυτά δεν είναι γνωστό ούτε το ποιος έδωσε την παραγγελία για να γίνουν, ούτε το ποιος την ανέλαβε τελικά.

Η συγγραφέας, συνδέοντας γνωστά και πιθανά στοιχεία για την ζωή αυτών των ταπισερί πλέκει μια φανταστική ισ
favorite parnormal book and why 6 71 Sep 17, 2014 01:16PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Lady and the Unicorn 1 5 Jun 09, 2013 12:36PM
Art Club: MONTHLY BOOK READ & DISCUSSION: October 2011 :) 18 43 Dec 06, 2011 06:27AM
  • The Passion of Artemisia
  • Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet
  • Signora Da Vinci
  • The Miracles of Prato
  • Artemisia
  • The Canterbury Papers  (Alais Capet, #1)
  • Vivaldi's Virgins
  • The Illuminator (Illuminator, #1)
  • The Painted Kiss
  • Dancing for Degas
  • Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)
  • Portrait of an Unknown Woman
1973
Born:
19 October 1962 in Washington, DC. Youngest of 3 children. Father was a photographer for The Washington Post.

Childhood:
Nerdy. Spent a lot of time lying on my bed reading. Favorite authors back then: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madeleine L’Engle, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Joan Aiken, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander. Book I would have taken to a desert island: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

Educa
More about Tracy Chevalier...

“I didn't move. I've learned from years of experience that dogs and falcons and ladies come back to you if you stay where you are.” 9 likes
“Warp threads are thicker than the weft, and made of a coarser wool as well. I think of them as like wives. Their work is not obvious - all you can see are the ridges they make under the colorful weft threads. But if they weren't there, there would be no tapestry. Georges would unravel without me.” 4 likes