Start by marking “P jako pivo” as Want to Read:
P jako pivo

P jako pivo

3.36  ·  Rating Details ·  4,850 Ratings  ·  517 Reviews
V roce 2007 zaujal Robbinse v New Yorkeru kreslený vtip zasazený do baru, kde sedí ob několik stoliček od sebe byznysmen a šupák, a muž v obleku komentuje jejich společnou žízeň: "Pochybuju, že by se dobře prodávala dětská knížka o pivu." Robbinsovi se to tak zalíbilo, že se rozhodl takovou knihu napsat. Pivo a mnohé o něm je jednotícím prvkem v příběhu o šestileté předško ...more
Published 2009 by Argo

To ask other readers questions about P jako pivo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P jako pivo

Amanda
I see you. Yes, you. The Tom Robbins fan. Quit making that face. Yank out the wedgie. Relax, man! This two-star rating bears no reflection on YOU. I’m not giving YOU two stars. I’m not even giving Tom Robbins two stars. It’s just that B is for Beer is terribly disappointing. I mean, you see the cover, right? Look at it! Look how totally awesome and retro it looks, right? You see the Simpson-esque largesse of the stein, with a hoard of dance-happy (overly long-armed) adults surrounding? They’re l ...more
Sharon
Apr 22, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten how much I love Tom Robbins. His quirky sense of humor is as refreshing as a cold ...Diet Coke --sorry, I'm not a beer drinker :) But the book is funny--and insightful.

There are some great quotes here. Some of my favorites:

"You know what the game of golf is, don't you? It's basketball for people who can't jump and chess for people who can't think."

"Every time a person goes to the mall, she loses a little piece of her soul."

There's a warning from the Beer Fairy to Gracie:
"When cons
Foteini Daila
The main characters fo this book are a 6-year old girl,her uncle and a fairy and...beer!Well,that's quite something.
Tom Robbins has a quirk sense of humor and in a point or two in the beginning there are Woody Allen-esque influences. His use of language is really good,too (not exceptional,but really good).Plus,he is an excellent storyteller and could easily write children's stories.
A light,readable and funny book is what you need when it's 40 degrees out there. And -some kind of-magic.And accord
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
May 15, 2009 Jeanette "Astute Crabbist" rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morons
Shelves: garbage-disposal
D is for Dumb, Desperate, and Disappointing Drivel!
You know a book is really bad when it's only 125 pages long and you can't even get halfway through it.
I gave this one a whirl just to see what ol' Tom Robbins had been doing this past couple of years. Now I know. D is for Drinking too much beer. And it's also for Dead brain cells, of which you will need a lot if you hope to enjoy this pile of Dung.
Nick Iuppa
Not sure this is a book for beer loving grandfathers to read to their young granddaughters, an infomercial for the brewing industry, or a cautionary for newly arriving AA members, or maybe all of the above. But it sure has it's funny moments... just not enough of them. BTW, the audiobook is really well done, and the narrator does a great job of speaking for a little girl, the beer fairy and the entire brewing industry.
Elizabeth
B is for Beer is a fairy tale about beer, two things I have great fondness for. I love the idea of fairies and magic and happily ever afters. I also love beer. That said, this book was a win-win for this reader. Yes, the humor is a forced clever in a Lake Wobegon, NPR sort of way, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are choosing to read a book called B is for Beer whose main characters are a 6 year old girl, her philosopher uncle and the Beer Fairy.
Damla Sahin
May 30, 2016 Damla Sahin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Klasik Tom Robbins yazım dili, bolca altı çizilesi cümle, okurken kahkaha atma ve keşke 7473993 sayfa daha olsa diyerek hayıflanma, hepsi bu kitapta mevcut!
Bir sonraki Robbins kitabına dek tadı yine damağımda kalacak...
Nate
Aug 18, 2015 Nate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was a lighthearted treatise on the subject of beer, somehow told through the eyes of a 6 year-old. I laughed and learned quite a bit, and would recommend as a nice palate cleanser between novels.
Olga Zbranek Biernátová
Pivní víla byla dost epic. Kaiser ji dal na jedničku :-D
Cindy
Apr 27, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Tom Robbins is still a genius!!! The only problem with this book is in keeping with the statement on the cover (A children's book for grown-ups, a grown up book for children) it is far too short. On the satisfaction meter though, it is right up there with a cold brew on a hot afternoon, after all the chores are done. Just sit back and say "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

If you haven't already bought it, and even if you have, Powells is offering signed editions, and since it is unlikely Tom is going to tour f
Zeynep Yoldemir
"Sıradan dünya sadece gerçek dünyanın,daha derinlerdeki başka bir dünyanın üzerindeki köpüktür."
Dymbula
Mar 14, 2017 Dymbula rated it really liked it
Robbins je skvělý. zatím všecko, co jsem od něj četl, bylo dobré. A pivo je taky dobré, nejen v této knize.
Juanita
Review: B Is For Beer by Tom Robbins.

Tom’s creativity creates a book about beer for children and adults. When I started the book I thought he did a wonderful job using a pixie to describe how beer was made to a six-year-old girl named Gracie Perkel. The subject was an educational lesson about how beer was made. Even as an adult I was getting a lesson of history myself. I never knew that the making of beer started centuries ago in Egypt. Robbins also used humor throughout the story which made me
Snotchocheez
What is up with my favorite humorist authors trying their hand at "SOMETHING NEW" ??? I attribute my love of reading today to Tom Robbins' ascerbic wit in the 80s and 90s, evidenced with terrific novels like "Still Life With Woodpecker", "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", "Jitterbug Perfume", "Skinny Legs and All", et.al. All of his novels have been irreverent, off-kilter, thought-provoking laugh-fests (for me, anyway). Mr. Robbins has never been a prolific writer, but about every four or five ye ...more
Odinson
Mar 03, 2017 Odinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Δεν ξέρω αν θα έπαιρνα αυτό το βιβλίο αν δεν το είχε γράψει ο Τομ Ρόμπινς. Ούτε ξέρω αν το είχα απολαύσει το ίδιο. Είναι κάποια βιβλία που ξέρεις ότι θα τα λατρέψεις, από τις πρώτες τους σελίδες. Το "Μπι όπως Μπίρα" είναι ένα από αυτά. Παραμύθι για μικρούς και μεγάλους. Αν και οι μικροί θα δυσκολευτούν να καταλάβουν το ιδιαίτερο χιούμορ(και δεν ενδιαφέρονται αρκετά για την μπίρα). Και οι μεγάλοι πιθανότατα θα είναι πολύ μεθυσμένοι για να το διαβάσουν. Prost(Γερμανία)... Skål(Δανία)... Kippis(Φιν ...more
Ann
Nov 05, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mike Clinton
From Amazon.com
"Yes, believe it or not--but B Is for Beer is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, internationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain.

Once upon a time (right about now) there was a planet (how about this one?) whose inhabitants consumed thirty-six billion gallons of beer each year (it's a fact, you can Google it). Among those affected, each in his or her own way, by all th
Jen
Apr 30, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went to see Tom Robbins read from his new children's book B Is for Beer last night and it was pretty hilarious. He saw a cartoon with a publisher and writer in a bar, and the publisher says something to the writer along the lines of, "No, I don't think a children's book about beer would sell." Robbins saw it as a brilliant challenge, and the resulting book is in children's book form but is definitely for adults - aside from all of the rhapsodizing about beer, a 5-year-old gets drunk and later ...more
Melody
May 18, 2009 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robbins uses some of the most muscular and flexible language I've ever read. His sentences are so finely crafted that each gleams. His skewed vision combined with his rarefied prose can make it difficult to notice when there's something missing. It's my opinion that as beautiful as this book is, it's also pedantic at its core. In a boring way.

Also, the spacing

of the prose

reminds me of term papers

which needed to be exactly 40 pages long.

It is worth reading for the joyful, playful, ebullient goofi
Linda
Sep 27, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea of beer appeals to my inner blue-collar worker self. The reality of it makes me wrinkle my nose and stick out my tongue in a remarkable impression of the Mr. Yuk sticker. Nope, not a fan of beer, and not a fan of this book, with the exception of the parting speech the beer fairy gives Gracie, which should immediately be incorporated into every graduation ceremony address delivered in the U.S.

I'm told by fans of Robbins that I need to go read something else of his. Something with less be
Jade
Oct 08, 2010 Jade rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A very weird tale between a young child's intrigue at beer and the impact of this substance in her life. There is also a very weird middle bit with the beer fairy (yes the beer fairy!) explaining how beer is made.

A sweet quick read, but a book with no depth, no real storyline and given it's randomness, just a bit weird. The supposed humour of the book doesn't even exist and Gracie is strangely the most advanced 6 year old I've ever heard of in my life.

If you're stuck in a waiting room with 30 mi
Brian
May 26, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would have been hard for me to not love this book. Tom Robbins? Check. Beer? Check. A protagonist just like my daughter? Check. So there you have it, I loved it. Robbins' ode to the wonder of beer through the eyes of a five/six-year-old girl won me over from page one. Throw in hilarious characters like the Beer Fairy and Uncle Moe, and I think you just might like it too. And even if you don't, it'll only eat up at most a couple of hours of your time.
Kimberly Ann
D Is For DUMB:

Prior to reading this book I had never read anything written by him. After reading this book, I doubt I will read anything more written by him.

Funny? No. Amusing? Slightly.

A little girl who is intrigued by beer, accidentally gets drunk on the 6th birthday & pukes on her Hello Kitty rug.... In a drunker stupor she is visited by the Beer fairy who takes her on a tour of how beer is made, from the Barley fields to the brewery, to a Beer Festival.

Meh!
Clare
Nov 30, 2010 Clare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure quasi-children's books are the best outlet for Tom Robbins' writing style. More often than not, his linguistic acrobatics and wink-wink-nudge-nudge jokes were distracting and annoying rather than humorous. Not to mention they didn't really do much to jazz up the frankly quite boring process of making beer. I'd rather learn the facts on a standard-issue brewery tour—at least they give you free beer at the end.
Adam
Apr 06, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When little 5 year old Gracie drinks a bit too much beer, she meets the beer fairy, and a whole new world and view of life open up to her.

This brief ode to altered consciousness is a delight to read.

Described on its cover as both "A grown-up book for children" and "A children's book for adults", I feel that this brief novel is more of the latter than the former.
Kati Bell
Μου άρεσε η γραφή του Robbins, αλλά η ιστορία δε με ενθουσίασε. Πολλές φορές με έκανε να βαρεθώ κιόλας. Ίσως απευθύνεται σε μικρές ηλικίες, όπως άλλωστε αναφέρει και στο εξώφυλλο: ένα μεγαλίστικο βιβλίο για παιδιά.
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Ughgh, I thought this book was very lame. Maybe I would have liked it a tiny bit more if I had read it rather than listened to the audiobook, but I doubt it. S is for Stupid.
Michael Seidlinger
I like beer.

Can't say the same about this book.
Sue
Feb 06, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had difficulty rereading his earlier books, but enjoyed this one. Bob, this one's for you! :)
  • Conversations with Tom Robbins
  • Tales for Little Rebels: A Collection of Radical Children's Literature
  • Nine Kinds of Naked
  • Ψυχ
  • Μαραμπού
  • Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World
  • Collect Raindrops: The Seasons Gathered
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women (Hazelden Meditations)
  • The Music of Pythagoras: How an Ancient Brotherhood Cracked the Code of the Universe and Lit the Path From Antiquity to Outer Space
  • All in a Day
  • Easy Journey to Other Planets
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • The Pooh Story Book
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

More about Tom Robbins...

“Never be afraid to love, not even when there's a chance you're not being loved in return.” 30 likes
“We are seldom as limited as we think we are.” 14 likes