The Patriots Club

The Patriots Club

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Thomas Bolden grew up on the streets, his childhood a blur of fragmented memories. But now he’s managed to put his past behind him, find the woman he wants to share his life with, and carve out a successful career on Wall Street. Until, in the blink of an eye, his world is turned upside down. A bizarre kidnapping sends him fleeing for his life, his face everywhere on the T...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Patriots Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patriots Club

Mike Tueros
The Patriots Club certainly provided some excitement - and grabs you from the first chapter - but the 2 lead characters never seem plausible (I know it's fiction!) - and just didn't do enough to hold my interest. And a Patriots Club that has been around for hundreds of years pulling the strings of our government...?!?! Skip this...
Julia
I enjoyed this book until the last 100 pages or so. The ending wrapped up so neatly it was almost painful to read. I couldn't recommend it.
Easton
Nov 19, 2010 Easton added it
The book The Patriots Club, is about a man named Thomas Bolden and his girlfriend Jennifer Dance. These two are the average American couple; Bolden an upper middle class businessman who takes corporate jets to make business deals with other large corporations. While Jennifer is a normal school teacher. This book takes place in New York city around the winter season, and on a date after a large party for the company Thomas worked for the couples' lives would be changed forever. On a walk from the...more
Melody Benz
Extremely steeped in history which is something I love about Mr. Reich's books. The characters are well developed and there are such cross relationships illustrated, bonds formed. I felt it was the end of the book that bothered me so much. However, given the premise I don't know if he had many other options for endings. It was just way too transparent for my taste.
Pat
Although it starts out entertainingly enough, the story quickly loses any semblance of realism. Our hero,Bolden, has a superhuman ability to elude capture, even though both the criminals and the cops are on his tail. The characters are one-dimensional, and the villains are so evil that they hardly seem human. Much of the dialogue is forced and the four-hundred page book is padded with too many extraneous characters and events. In addition, "The Patriots Club" is so complicated that the reader ne...more
Peter
(entered years later; read before Goodreads)

Probably enjoyed it.

Newmarket library.
Elly
Nederlandse titel: Bankiers van de elite.

Heel spannend boek, heb het in een adem uitgelezen.
Gaat over een jonge ambitieuse bankier die om onduidelijke redenen wordt ontvoerd. Het leidt uiteindelijke tot de onthulling van een geheim genootschap dat al bijna twee eeuwen lang meer dan belangrijke invloed uitoefent op de regering van de VS.
Je zou je zo maar kunnen voorstellen dat in werkelijkheid ook zo iets bestaat. De invloed die de bankwereld,de wapenhandel en de olieindustrie uitoefent op de g...more
Absolutely loved this book. It's conspiracy after conspiracy and had me in from the first page..very unlike the other Christopher Reich books that I've read.
Marti
This was a rather good book with a couple, Thomas Bolden and his pregnant girlfriend, Jenny Pendelton. The title refers to a group of men from the time of George Washington, and including him, who seek to manipulate events in the nation's history--not unlike Dick Cheney and Halliburton. In this case, the incoming president is not interested in joining said club, and so she is due to be assassinated. Both Thomas and Jenny, mostly Thomas, suffer a lot from this organization and its muscle. There a...more
Sher Marie
Im giving this book a second try. The prob i find with it is how fast the story moves yet it is slow in developing the story progression. Its strange really, is like the pace does not reconcile to how the protagonist responds or predict events, he is slow to figure out or anticipate whats happening in his life. Poor writing in my view. That the reader "gets" it and the protagonist doesn't sucks. How can a dude who is supposed to be street smart, very resourceful be so oblivious in the story. Ugh...more
Donna Mcnab
I think that this book really deserves more than 3 stars, but for now that is what I have given it. It is extremely well written, very detailed with a fascinating, complex plot involving high financial institutions and government agencies, both a part of The Patriots Club". The action is very high paced, but perhaps a little too much for me. You really never had a chance to relax and get your breath in this book, but I suspect that that would be what a lot of people really like. A very good book...more
Chris Toney
Good characters and interesting premise, but weak and predictable ending.
Mark
This is the third Reich novel of the summer... and he has created another very Ludlum-esque story with a "fish-out-of-water" theme....this time it a heroic money manager dodging the evils of another sub-rosa government operation, that has been in operation since the nation's founding...this time its operations endanger our nation...kind of an enduring theme I've noticed as I wend my way through some of his novels this summer
Mhd
If I only rated the last half, this would have been a 4 or maybe even a 5. It just seemed to take too long to get going and I'm not a fan of stories where the hero is framed, which is most of what was happening at the beginning. Strong hero and heroine; I especially liked her. Kind of ironic to be reading this while our congress really isn't doing anything and legal lobbyists are running amok....
ScottK
UHmmmm I liked this book right up until the very end, when everything was wrapped up in a neat little package that I saw coming from 10 miles away. The last chapter reminds me alot of the last scene in the movie Arthur. So if you want to read it, read up to like chapter 60 ....after that you should be able to figure out the rest of it. Who knows you may even think up a better ending than Mr. Reich did.
Darren
Winner - 2006 International Thriller Writer's Best Novel Award. Over novels by Vince Flynn and Dean Koontz. This is the second of his books for me. With writers like Robert Ludlum gone, it's nice to know that there are authors like Chris Reich writing good, original thrillers. Next up for me, his first, Numbered Account.
Susan Appleby
Smart and suspenseful...not my usual genre but I was drawn into the story on page one.
Brad
I really liked this book. It was a about an organization that ran parallel to the US Gov't, and they ran the agenda that had any association with money and power. Great plot....and it probably is going on today in our country as we speak.

I recommend this as a read.
Plamen Kolev
Other fantastic thriller by Reich. It begins rather slowly, but then it turns to be a really good one. The historical facts just make everything more realstic. The conspiration is not the main subject, but definately helps the reader to imagine the whole picture.
Gian
This book started out well but finished weakly. I love history and when you can wrap an interesting fictional story around it, it can make for some good reading. Unfortunately, this book did not meet expectations, especially with such an interestign premise.
Sally
I'll be honest, I almost put this book down. There's a lot of financial terminology in it and that all goes right over my head. I am glad, however, that I stuck with it. And the ending... only left me with more questions!
Michiel

Nederlandse titel: Bankiers van de elite.

Goede financiële thriller.

Misschien wordt het in Nederland ook tijd voor een geheim genootschap om de financiële crisis te lijf te gaan!
Travis
Found the book at an thrift and thought I give it a chance. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Found it nicely paced, with enough of suspense and mystery to keep me turning the page.
Jim
The book was a conspirators dream. There are groups that pull the strings of government. It was a quick easy read, not one that demanded a lot of attention to get through.
Fred
Fast moving, non-stop book from Christopher Reich. I'll agree with others that the end was wrapped up rather rapidly and neatly. The book was definitely a page turner though.
Mac
Too close to today's world to be comforting, fast paced, sitting on the edge of your chair and you can't leave it alone until you've finished the very last page.
Sherry
I found this entirely diverting, all the way to the end. Other reviews indicated the end was crap, but other than being a bit rushed, I thought it wasn't bad.
Joe Newell
This was my first Reich novel and I think it was pretty good. I thought the plot was intelligent and had some nice twists at the end. It kept me engaged throughout.
Dennis
Jun 22, 2007 Dennis added it
Recommends it for: anybody
many things. read my review at Personal Fortune magazine (available only to subscribers of National Newspaper of the Year Business Mirror newspaper)
Millicent
The author continues to demonstrate why forensic accounting wins the day, when you need to solve the crime, follow the money.
  • The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)
  • The Day Before Midnight
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The Hit List
  • Fade
  • The Hadrian Memorandum
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Killing The Shadows
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door
  • A Calculated Risk
  • The Getaway (Sam Archer, #2)
  • The Protector (Morrell, David)
He was born in Tokyo and moved to Los Angeles in 1965. He attended Georgetown University and the University of Texas and worked in Switzerland before returning to the United States to become an author. He lives in San Diego and is the author of seven novels. He has a wife and 2 kids. His father is Willy Wolfgang Reich

"A relentlessly fast-paced espionage thriller, ripped from tomorrow's headlines b...more
More about Christopher Reich...
Rules of Deception Rules of Vengeance The Runner Numbered Account Rules of Betrayal