Start by marking “Girl of Kosovo” as Want to Read:
Girl of Kosovo

Girl of Kosovo

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A child's perspective on war.

In 1998 the Serb military intensifies its efforts to expel Albanians from Kosovo. Ethnic cleansing forces many families to seek safety in the surrounding hills and mountains. The Kosovo Liberation Army fights back guerrilla style, struggling for an independent Kosovo.

Some Albanian villagers support the freedom fighters. Others fear that armed r
Published April 11th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Girl of Kosovo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl of Kosovo

Kristen
Jan 06, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a possible suggestion for our mother/daughter bookclub. It was a quick read (I read it in one day.) However,I am amazed this book is suggested for 10 and up. I don't think I'd even let my 13 year old read this book. While I'm sympathetic to the plight of the Kosavars, the harsh realities of the war in Kosovo that are described in this book are hard even for an adult to stomach. I'm sure if my daughter read this, she would have nightmares for months. I do think the book is wel ...more
Kaitlyn Burress
Jan 16, 2013 Kaitlyn Burress rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book and I love it very much it is a wonderful historical fiction book by Alice Mead. It is 128 pages of wonderfulness called Girl of Kosovo. It is in 11 year old Zana Dogollis point of view. Zana has 3 brothers and 1 on the way. She has a loving mother and father, but because her home, Albania, is being attacked by Serbia her father and 2 youngest brothers are killed. She is left with her mom and 15 year old brother Illar. Her leg is hurt badly and is sent to a hospital. A f ...more
Alicia
Nov 18, 2014 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because Kosovo is such a "new" country (7 years old), our library system doesn't have a juvenile non-fiction book which teaches about Kosovo and its culture and history. So I read this children's chapter book written at a 4th grade level, about a Kosovan girl in the 1990's when the Serbs were trying to get ethnic
Albanians out of Kosovo. I know there are 2 sides to every story, and this author (who has worked with humanitarian organizations in Kosovo and based this story on a child she met while
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 113 pgs

1999, rural Kosovo. 11 year old Zana remembers when she used to play with her best friend Lena. But now times have changed and that means that Zana, an Albanian, and Lena, a Serb, aren't allowed to be friends anymore. Life becomes even more difficult when their village is attacked. After her father and two of her brothers are killed and Zana is badly injured in an attack Zana struggles to not allow hate to fill her heart and have hope for the future.

A story of survival and healing.
Quynh Anh
Mar 10, 2016 Quynh Anh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a children's book but I really loved it. Putting aside political disputes, it was a great book with so much life and sadness.
Jennifer Marie
I have to say the book is definitely engaging. I really do love the main characters voice, but one thing bothers me--it's almost all narrative. There's very little dialogue. Granted it's a hard story to tell with interaction and dialogue because it's all from this girls head, and she's "alone" most of the novel, but I just keep wanting more interaction.

I've still got 1/4 left to finish, but it's very poignant and also a learning experience. I've learned more than I thought I would--and not as if
Gabbie
Apr 01, 2013 Gabbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book. When I first picked it out I was only reading it for a book project not cause I wanted to. As I was reading it I actually started to like it. I wanted to read it more and more, and ended up getting so hooked I couldn't put it down. This books about a girl who lives in a village full if Serbians and shes an Albanian. Her family gets bombed, and her dad and father die on the scene, and her ankle is tore open by shards of glass and metal. She goes from hospital to hospit ...more
Resa
Jul 17, 2012 Resa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why, but this came slightly short of my expectations. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely informative and entertaining, and there are still some parts that really stuck with me. But, for some reason, I just thought I would enjoy it more. Maybe it was because I had to read it for school, maybe I just expect more out of most books than I should. Nonetheless, if you haven't read this yet, do so. The subject matter will really pull you in, and the plot keeps you entertained. You will ...more
Astecia P.
Jun 14, 2014 Astecia P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
meguras air mata.
alice mead sungguh pandai membawa suasana
Josette
The book dealt with a very difficult subject--namely, the ethnic persecution of Albanians by the Serbs in Kosovo during the 90's. It would definitely be for an older child, as there are some pretty brutal scenes. But if you wanted an older child to get a taste of this subject matter, or become aware of these events, it's a relatively quick read.
Rachel
Jul 12, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good look at the Kosovo conflict through a young girls eyes. It was a little graphic for the audience it was written for. I'm not sure what age is right to read it. But When ready it was a good read and about a conflict a lot of is know little about.
Jolene
Dec 18, 2010 Jolene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing didn't stand out to me as all that impressive, BUT it was a very compelling and revealing story of the heartbreak the people of Kosovo experienced. Written from the perspective of a child, it is a story rooted in the cold realities of war.
Chey
Jun 12, 2008 Chey rated it it was amazing
This is a true story written as a girl but in real life it is a boy. a great book telling of truth what the world needs to learn from,may these atrocities stop someday God willing!
I will never forget !
Robert
Nov 26, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book; civil war. You notice how bad war is when you're in the shoes of someone else. It does feel different when someone says war, although you're safe.
Mimi
Mar 24, 2009 Mimi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mimi by: Chey
The story was sad, but the message really goes a long way.
Lucinda
Dec 11, 2013 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book! I think everyone should read it!
Kaliandra Bayu
Kaliandra Bayu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Ilirijana Zejnullahi
Ilirijana Zejnullahi marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Blythe
Blythe rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Shelly Shaffer
Shelly Shaffer rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Louise Brown
Louise Brown rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
DJ
DJ rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jayne Roozeboom
Jayne Roozeboom marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
ALICE MEAD has written several books about children in war-ravaged societies, including Girl of Kosovo, an NCSS-CBC Notable Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies. She lives in Maine.
More about Alice Mead...