Start by marking “Jared, the Subway Guy: Winning Through Losing: 13 Lessons for Turning Your Life Around” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Jared Fogel was, is, and will continue to be America's weight loss icon. As an obese college student in Indiana he lost 245 pounds on a self-devised diet of Subway sandwiches. Since 2000, he has appeared thousands of times on national television as the spokesperson for Subway's Eat healthy Platform; and he's slated to continue in this role indefinitely. In fact, Subway wor ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jared, the Subway Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jared, the Subway Guy

Tressa
Yes, I'm reading this book. What of it? I dare you to say something about it!
Maverick
I am in the sports industry and read a lot about health and fitness/biographies. I had seen Jared on the subway commercial for years and was intrigued by his story and how he came up with the idea to eat Subway sandwiches. I agreed with him that there isn't a one size fit all approach to weight loss. This isn't a diet book like he states but is a good feel book about success. I enjoyed the humor through out the book and enjoyed reading his journey of losing 250 pounds.
M J
I enjoyed this book even more than I thought I would. It was fun reading about Jared's story and I could relate to a lot of what he said, even though I'm just overweight, not morbidly obese. He says this isn't a diet book, and while I can see where it was going with the other ideas, it really seems to serve best to those of us who have struggled with our weight.
Brianna L.
Jared, The Subway Guy: Winning Through Losing: 13 Lessons for Turning Your Life Around
Jared Fogle
Autobiography/Informational

This man, Jared Fogle, had known he was overweight but didn't know exactly how much he weighed. Once he knew he was shocked. He weighed 425 pounds!!! He knew he had to stop this overeating. This meant no midnight pizzas, snacking on junk food while playing video games and a lot of other habits he was going to have to break. He tried and tried different diets. None of them w
Kezermezer
Jared Fogle was a morbidly obese college student who tried several diets unsuccessfully before finding a plan that worked for him - eating only Subway sandwiches. Within 3 months he lost nearly 100 pounds and eventually lost about 250 total.

In Jared, the Subway Guy, he shares his experiences and outlines thirteen lessons for addicts (not just of food, but of drugs, gambling, etc) trying to turn their lives around.

Of the thirteen lessons, none are particularly earth shattering, though there is
Dotty  Bell
Willpower is the key to doing anything in life; do you or don't you want to achieve your personal goals!

Well written and very thought provoking. I understand now about weight loss and the will power needed to maintain my goal weight range. Time to throw away my fat pants once and for all!
Rose
Easy to read. Written in a casual conversational voice. His story is inspiring and motivational. His approach, while unconventional, is proof that sustainable life change must come from within.

I would not recommend His method but I do recommend his story. I do wish that all of the comparisons to other addictions had been edited out. I appreciate why they might be relevant but it muddled the flow and detracted from the power of his personal journey.

Jared tries to make this a motivational book...but there's a big difference between overcoming obesity and overcoming alcoholism. I wanted to know how he lost 245 pounds---so I skimmed the "motivational" parts of the book and read his story, which is pretty amazing! After losing 94 pounds without any exercise, he started walking to class and eventually walking up all 11 flights of stairs to one class three times a week.

John
I've never actually seen one of Jared's commercials, and was only vaguely aware of his story when I began this book. His story is proof that one can achieve any goal with sufficient motivation, or "sparks" as he terms them. Given me a lot to think about with my own issues as I'm sure will be the case for other readers.

Lorrie
I knew part of Jared's story, but the book filled in the rest. He started a diet campaign without realizing it, and his presence on Subway commercials just kept growing until he's a familiar face now. I guess you could say that he's a semi-celebrity. Anyway, it was a quick read that was interesting.
Bethany Warsaw
I enjoyed reading Jared's story. It was easy to read and fascinating. He comes across as a likeable guy. I don't know how well his method would transfer to other issues, but his many of steps seem helpful for someone who struggles with weight issues.
Susan Erhardt
Though Jared comes across as a modest, likeable guy -- and there's no denying he shows great peseverance in continuing to starve himself to maintain his weight loss -- he gives rather contradictory, unhealthy advice in this book.
Heather Truckenmiller
Not really a diet book, although there are tips in each chapter, it's really just his story. Well told, easy read, enjoyable, and inspiring.
J
This is a great book for those of us who have yo-yo dieted. I finished it in just a couple of hours.
Carol
A very quick and easy read. Somewhat inspirational.
Lisa A
Lisa A marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
sara cheryl horton
sara cheryl horton marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Nov 10, 2014
Bonita
Bonita marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Mulliwulli
Mulliwulli marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Edward Rodriguez
Edward Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Jared S. Fogle also known as The Subway Guy, is a spokesman employed by Subway Restaurants in its advertising campaigns. He is known for his significant weight loss, attributed to eating Subway sandwiches.
More about Jared Fogle...