Start by marking “Baseball Ballerina” as Want to Read:
Baseball Ballerina

Baseball Ballerina (Baseball Ballerina)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Illus. in full color. A shortstop in a tutu? Not if she can help it! Forced by her mother into taking ballet lessons, a die-hard tomboy discovers that there's team spirit at the barre as well as on the baseball diamond.
Published February 25th 1992 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball Ballerina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball Ballerina

Jamie Winslow
A young girl loves to play baseball for his team the Sharks but her mother thinks she needs to do more girly things and makes her take ballet. She does not like ballet. Her best friend Mary Ann is also on her baseball team and in her ballet class. A recital is approaching and Mary Ann gets picked to be the Queen Dandilion. Mary Ann starts to like ballet while her friend still prefers baseball. She does not want her baseball team to find out she takes ballet and worries they will not want her on ...more
Madeline Feldman
Baseball Ballerina is a great beginning chapter book for students who are ready to transition out of only pictures books to something more challenging that feels like a more grown up book. The story follows the main character, a young girl, who loves playing baseball. Unfortunately for her, her mother thinks that all girls should dance ballet and is forced to take ballet lessons with her terrible teacher. We watch as she tries to hide her ballet lessons from her baseball teammates and feel for h ...more
Colleen Moran
This book is a good book to read for grades 1-3. It is about a girl who is forced to try ballet instead of playing baseball. It has a great lesson about if you never try something you will never know if you like it or not. It encourages students to try new things and gain new experience. It also teaches children to accept everyone no matter what their individual interests are.
John Kropewnicki
As a father of a young girl I find this book so frustrating.

Within the first 5 pages, the mother tells the girl that she is not girly enough,
that she needs to wear more pink, and takes her from something that she enjoys and is good at (baseball, she is even the shortstop) and put her in an unfamiliar situation (ballet).

Two girls join ballet, the good blond girl starts to enjoy dance and becomes the prima ballerina in the recital wearing a crown prancing around as a queen.

Also it is so stupid th
Kristen Collins
I really like the fact that this book addresses gender roles. I have read sooo many books about little girls being ballerinas and this is honestly refreshing. The main character is a strong and simple female character who would rather play ball than dance.
Natalie Pietro
I remember my dad bring this book home for me and being so excited to give it to me. He knew I loved dance, being his little ballerina and he all ways made me play softball even though I was never any good at it.
This book has me writin all over it. We sat on the couch like normal and read. Me reading my book and him reading his. I laugh now, I finished it in one sitting and remembering that look on my dads face when I told him I completed the book. "I just bought you that book. You can't be done
Alison
Love this book!!! This book takes away gender stereotypes, and allows girls to believe they can do anything they put their minds to. This would be a great read aloud book, or an at home read. This is a great book for a third grade student to read independently as well. The illustrations are fun and encouraging, and although it is a chapter book the vocabulary is not to difficult for a struggling reader. I love that the girl character in the book plays baseball and doesn't want practice dancing.
Donald
I was so happy when I saw this book! The cover and the title were perfect for me, as my 4 year old girl does ballet and t-ball. And the way I read it to her was great! But the way the author wrote is was disappointing. Sentences like, "Mom thinks baseball is for boys.", "She wants me to do more girl things." , and "She says, 'Pink is for girls.'", just made me too sad to read. I still love the cover!
Candice Snow
Loved this book as a kid even though I

1. Didn't like baseball and

2. Didn't like ballet

The illustrations are a very nice accompaniment to the story. This is a very easy read. Probably recommended for grade 1-2
Kim Miller
I don't like that the mother of this girl makes her do ballet. The young girl likes baseball more, but finds a way to like ballet, which is good and many people dont know they like something untill they try it, i just dont likt the beginning because it makes it sound like the mother doesn't support her daughter doing baseball.
Deborah Harris
Dec 22, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a8, ar-2
RL 2.25 GRL-K

AR Quiz No. 7354 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.2 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Sheila
A nice children's story for girls, with a message that it is ok to be both girlie (a ballerina) and tomboyish (playing baseball).
Mckinley
Jun 02, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Cri
John Counts
John Counts marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ana Vera Quino
Ana Vera Quino marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Eman
Eman marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Self-Shost Homeschool
Self-Shost Homeschool marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Mande
Mande added it
May 11, 2015
Jeanne Thomas
Jeanne Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Vanessa Parker
Vanessa Parker marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Different Dragon
  • Ten Little Rabbits
  • Poppleton In Winter
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Hedgie Loves to Read
  • If I Ran the School
  • Mr. Silly (Mr. Men, #10)
  • I Love Saturdays y Domingos
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • In Our Mothers' House
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Froggy Plays Soccer
  • Detective Dinosaur
  • The School Secretary from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #18)

Baseball Ballerina (2 books)
  • Baseball Ballerina Strikes Out! (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
Even Steven And Odd Todd (level 3) (Hello Reader, Math) Samantha the Snob The Baby-Sitters Club: The Movie Princess Lulu Goes to Camp The Snowman Mystery