Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry, #3)

Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  31,432 ratings  ·  2,186 reviews
Like his brothers, Luis Fuentes is a risk taker; whether he's scaling the Rocky Mountains or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis is always looking for the next thrill.

Nikki Cruz lives her life by certain rules ― don't trust a boy who says "I love you", boys lie to get their own way and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Then she meets Luis at his bro...more
Published August 16th 2011 by Walker Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2011)

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
30th out of 1,275 books — 6,761 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
29th out of 1,244 books — 7,690 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

Book description on the CHAIN REACTION jacket.

Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill.

Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her paren
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Jun 06, 2012 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults who enjoy sexier, grittier YA books and Older Teens
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Having loved Perfect Chemistry

IN DECEMBER 2010, BEFORE READING…

Muy caliente! HOT cover! To be released 24th May 2011
16th August 2011. Bring it!

I've had LUKE PASQUALINO in my mind as my Luis Fuentes ever since I saw him on UK Skins Seasons 3 and 4 (LOVED him as Freddie Mclair. *sighs*). And now, strangely, I think he kind of looks like the guy on the cover. ^_^ Really looking forward to reading this! Loves me some Fuentes brothers!

My Luis (Luke Pasqualino) and now my Nikki (Victoria Justice):

^^^I wish the Lake scene had be

Jo
May 21, 2012 Jo rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, own, e, ya, oh-come-on
Warning: If you are a fan of this book you may want to avert your eyes. I like to think that I am open minded. I read the first book and…. eh, it was ok. I read this second book and I liked it more than I am willing to admit.

This book?

Um…
With my warning in mind, let’s proceed……
“Her words slam into my libido like a bucket of water on a flame full of testosterone. I think my dick just twitched in protest.”

That above quote pretty much sums up this book.
Mate, what does that even mean? A flame full o...more
Arlene
Rating Clarification
First half: 3 stars
Second half: 2.5 stars
Epilogue: 0 stars (Couldn’t even finish it. Seriously, was that necessary?)

Well, unfortunately for this series the third time is definitely not a charm… Bummer…

I was so looking forward to this final installment, and I was probably one of those raging fangurlz that was climbing up the wall when the release date was pushed out. Now that I’ve had a chance to read it, well it was definitely not worth the wait. Disappointment...

But, I will...more
Ariana
Ay carajo!

There are only so many times you can enjoy the same old story.. in my opinion it gets down to probably two.
I loved the first book because of the characters, and the chemistry and the action and I enjoyed enormously the humor in the second one, but when it comes to this one... I am terribly sorry to say that it was such a big disappointment.

Please Simone Elkeles, I know you can write better than this, I've seen it before, just come up with something new the next time. I just feel like...more
Ariel
Edit After reading august 16: I was seriously debating giving this book three stars, but my loyalty to the author stopped me from comitting the crime... les cocottes I know you're gonna read this, so let me tell you that I'm a bit disappointed. C'etait genre un peu forcee. And it had un uncanny resemblance to Alex and Brittany's story. It was still good, and they're were still awww moments, but I think it was the worst one. After you read it tell me what you think, okay?

Edit: WHYYYYYYYYYY???? Si...more
Ayla
Definitely NOT good. I don't understand how the author made first two so amazing, and now this one... good lord the romance just felt plastic, and forced somehow. But, of course, I had to read it in order to have some closure. Ugh.

My advice? Read the first two, and then go into a bookstore and pick up this book, read the epilogue at the back of the book, put the book back on the shelf and walk out.
Zemira Warner
*before reading*

STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING! FUENTES BOYS ARE BACK!!!!

*after reading*

So,I gotta say Chain Reaction is a huge disappointment. It lacked that 'spark' previous two had. I did not like Luis and Nikki. I couldn't felt their love for each other. I didn't enjoy them as much as I did Alex & Brittany and Carlos & Kiera. :(
Luis was too much of a good boy for me to even think about him as a person who would join a gang.
Nikki,what to say about Nikki? I had a feeling she was depres...more
Reynje

[Note: I went into this book with good intentions. Please note my enthusiastic hashtagging in honour of the Fuentes boys, along with my fellow readalongers, Flannery, Jo and Trinity. Alas, I did not like this book - as the following review states.]

Look, I’m sorry, but every once in a while I just need to get my rant on and Chain Reaction has the dubious honour of being in my ranty sights right now.

I’ve read Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction, and while they weren’t precisely my cup of te...more
Abbi Glines
I have read all three books in the Perfect Chemistry series. I ADORED the first one. The second one was good but it just didn't compare to the first one. Alex and Brittany were hard to compete with. HOWEVER, this one is now my absolute favorite. A definite must read!!!
Emily May

I am terribly sceptical when it comes to books that define themselves simply as 'romance'. I like romantic subplots in science-fiction, in historical-fiction and in mystery - in fact, in just about anything - but straight-up romance? Can't say I've ever been a big fan. But there will always be exceptions, like Anna and the French Kiss for example. This is one such exception.

This is mindless, sexy teenage fun. With emphasis on the sexy. That cover look steamy to you? Wait until you see what this...more
Kristi
Ahhhhh.... the Fuentes brothers... as sexy and dangerous as they are alluring. I'm sad to see their stories come to an end. I will miss them. If you have not read this series... all I have to say is WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!?!

Luis was the brother that you didn't really see much in the first two books, he was there and made a few small appearances but he wasn't what I was expecting. Luis had always been described as the "smart" brother.... so I thought maybe, just maybe he might learn from his b...more
Jessica
Rating clarification: 2.5 stars

*sigh*

I was SO sure that I was gonna love this but sadly I didn’t *hangs head*

For me, Chain Reaction was lacking the unbelievably hot and sizzling chemistry that made the other two books so special. I enjoyed “seeing” Alex and Carlos again and learning more about their lives – hence the 2.5 stars – but otherwise I didn’t really care for the story.

Luis is a hottie and quite swoon-worthy but somehow he didn’t have the same effect on me as his brothers had in the pre...more
Sita Sargeant
It’s 12:49 AM, and I just finished reading Chain Reaction, and what can I say I absolutely loved it it, and after I read it I felt all happy and great and then I was all upset cause the series is over ☹.

Well, onto the review...

So a summary of the book, well I can't be stuffed to write one up, i'm falling asleep at my laptop. And you can read a summary anywhere. Continuing...

So, it basically has the same plot line as the other books in the series, except this one had so many recurring characters...more
SimBim
Nov 30, 2010 SimBim added it
Oh My God, the cover...
Luis, you kinky beast ;)
Kim
Wow, could this book be any cheesier? I is disappoint.

I remember reading about Alex, absolutely unaware of how my clothes had spontaneously combusted while I was sitting there, completely engrossed and hanging on to every word. I re-read certain parts again and again, feeling my stomach to back flips and various other tricks that you only see in a Cirque Du Soleil performance, but Chain Reaction... I don't know, I'm still kinda waiting for some reaction. Anything.

.....

The most exciting thing ab...more
Miakoda
Luis' story and third companion to the perfect chemistry series gets a thumbs up for humor; I was, at the very beginning especially, so into Luis because he was funny...but then again, so were his brothers(I'm laughing just thinking about them). I'd say Nikki was a good pick for this story, she stood by what she believed in, which was really cool...she was however a bit looney sometimes but then again if I were her I'd probably be worse.

As an individual story, this book was really good but compa...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
3.5 stars. My review is going to be quite half-assed this time. Either you love these books or you don't. I have to fall on the love side because so many experiences in these books are ones that I have witnessed first hand. Sure, there are people who feel it a bit fake, but not everything can be 100% accurate. I feel like the author did her research and came close enough for me to relate, being someone who has been there, lived that.

Good lord, it's as if these books are half documenting my teen...more
Alyssa
Aug 30, 2011 Alyssa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hopeless romantics who pray for Chuck and Blair from Gossip Girl to just get it on for good.
I’m such a huge romantic. 90% of my books have a large chunk of romance in them, and 90% of the movies and songs I listen to involve heartbreak the sweeping of one off their feet. Chain Reaction could have sated my lust for love, and yet, like its prelude, it fell flat in all the important areas.

Luis Fuentes is doing his best to stay on the right path, and when he meets Nikki, the girl with the angelic face and beautiful soul, he thinks his life is finally starting to come together for good. Sur...more
Trinity
Remember last week when I hadn't read Chain Reaction yet? Yeah me too, fondly.

------------

Washing the blood stains out of my bandanna for an intercontinental readalong with Reynje, Flannery & Jo

Plus Drinking Game! Hola!
Rules: (view spoiler)
Take a drink for
Chichis
Abs
Awkward flirting
Straddling
Gangbanging
Bandannas
When Alex is lame or cries or lamely cries
When Carlos is awesome aka all the time
Girl has sad
Steamy shower scene

Things we kn...more
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R

Can I get a little wha,wha....? FUENTES BROTHERS BABY!

I thought the series might die down knowing that this 3rd novel,was about Luis. He's suppose to be the goodie two shoes in the family.BUT HOT DAYUMMMMM!!!!!!!! I'm in La-La Land! I've never loved a Ya-series as much as I loved this series! Some one pass me a "Get Out Jail Free Card" Cause I might one day jump one of these brothers *for personnel reasons* LMAO!!!!!!!! Simone Elkeles is too good to her r...more
K.
This book is like a really bad last minute paper at the end of a hectic term; when you've used up all your braincells for other essays and exams and you're running out of time but you have to hand something in. I wouldn't normally bother with a book as bad as this, but I'm shockingly disappointed because I liked Perfect Chemistry well enough.

Seriously, though. Chain Reaction might as well have been done in point form, as there is absolutely no supporting evidence of sincerity, both from the char...more
Joyzi
Nov 24, 2010 Joyzi marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-series
5.24.2011

OMG Is that a hot shower scene on the cover?

YUuuuuuuuMmmmmmEEeeeeeee!!!

*I just clicked on the cover to see a closer look of it and I just stared at the computer screen with my mouth hanging open and I think I just drooled a little*

Can't wait, can't wait!!!
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness

OMG! How hot are the Fuentes brothers!! I managed to get my grips on a picture of the three guys used as the brothers, and their just all so delightful!

The third book in this series is just as good, if not better than the last two in the series! The Fuentes boys are back, and their smoking! You will not be disappointed with Luis; he is one smoking Mexican lover. Luis isn’t quite a naughty as his brothers but what he does love is a good thrill! Luis is an a...more
Charlene
May 10, 2012 Charlene marked it as finishing-later
Dude... I can't get enough of these Fuentes brothers... they're so yummy in my head. :)
Aly (Fantasy4eva)

I've been very conflicted about this one.

So I'm going to just go ahead and list what I did and didn't like.

* THE COVER. I loves.
At first I was like WOW. And then all traumatised when my dad saw it and gave me the WTF look. Now I just say WHATEVS. Sometimes I even stare. I DON'T EVEN CARE.

* Nikki Cruz in the first half I really liked. In the second half I guess something just changed because my original opinion of her diminished.

* The cheesy dialogue? Oh man. I know there's bits of it in the pr...more
Scarlet369
Chain reaction is about Luis Fuentes the youngest son of the Fuentes family. He is known in previous books to be the innocent, goal oriented, dedicated son of the family. In this book though we see that Luis is one cocky SOB!! All three brothers have been famous for the drop dead looks and the known receiver of the double take from all the girls (and possibly some guys too). But Luis for me tops both Alex and Carlos. He is cocky, confident, passionate, and not afraid to flaunt it. His personalit...more
Christy
“You once told me that I made you believe in the impossible. You make me believe in love, which I'd given up on. Thank you for proving to me that it's not just a fairy tale.

This is Luis Fuentes and Nikki Cruz’s story. Luis is the youngest of the Fuentes’ brothers. He is a bit of an adrenaline junkie, a big flirt, but he is the brother that has a good head on his shoulders. He has a plan for college, a career with NASA, and he knows what he has to do to achieve his goals. After going to high s...more
Nic
I wonder what kind of trouble Luis will get into! And more Alex and Carlos YUM :)
Cindy
This is definitely my favorite book in the series. Luis is easy to love right away. He doesn't have that same hard edge that his older brothers do, but he's got enough cockiness and attitude to still exude the sexy confidence you've come to expect from the Fuentes brothers.

When Nikki's story begins, my heart immediately breaks for her. We see exactly what happened to her to make her so hard against guys and why she has no intention of falling for anyone -- especially not Luis. When they meet at...more
  • Measuring Up
  • Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
  • Romero (The Moreno Brothers, #4)
  • Forget You
  • Sophie & Carter
  • The Vincent Brothers (The Vincent Boys, #2)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Good For You (Between the Lines, #3)
  • Catching Jordan
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • Kissing Perfect (At the Party, #4)
  • Shut Out
  • His Eyes
Simone Elkeles is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of novels for teens. Simone’s books have won many awards including being YALSA Top Ten Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, being named to the YALSA Popular Paperbacks and Teens Top Ten lists, and added to the Illinois “Read for a Lifetime” Reading List. Simone also won the coveted RITA award from the Romance Writers of...more
More about Simone Elkeles...
Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1) Return to Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #2) Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)

“Marry me, Kiara,” he blurts out in front of everyone.
“Why?” she asks, challenging him.
“Because I love you,” he says, walking up to her and bending down on one knee while he takes her hand in his, “and I want to go to sleep with you every night and wake up seein’ your face every mornin’, I want you to be the mother of my children, I want to fix cars with you and eat your crappy tofu tacos that you think are Mexican. I want to climb mountains with you and be challenged by you, I want to argue with you just so we can have crazy hot makeup sex. Marry me, because without you I’d be six feet under … and because I love your family like they’re my own … and because you’re my best friend and I want to grow old with you.” He starts tearing up, and it’s shocking because I’ve never seen him cry. “Marry me, Kiara Westford, because when I got shot the only thing I was thinkin’ about was comin’ back here and makin’ you my wife. Say yes, chica.”
532 likes
“Nobody really knows her
Except the chosen few
Her secrets are kept hidden
Behind that sun-kissed hue.

If I reach out to touch her
She’ll just run away
My Forever and Always
Will have to wait another day.”
207 likes