Start by marking “Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)” as Want to Read:
Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)

Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  4,505 ratings  ·  353 reviews
Nothing's simple when you run with werewolves. Jess Gillmansen thinks she's seen it all but her eyes are about to be opened to even more danger and a reality far more paranormal than she's suspected. With Jess's realization that the Rusakovas' mother is still alive and imprisoned, the group's choices become harder and trust more important. Lines are drawn and relationships ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Secrets and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets and Shadows

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
83rd out of 1,281 books — 6,865 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Can't Wait Books For 2011
86th out of 1,236 books — 6,940 voters

More lists with this book...

Demo
Holy. Hell.

I just... Just---

I CAN'T TAKE THIS BULLSHIT ANYMORE! I'M DONE WITH THIS SERIES! I GIVE THE HELL UP!

Actual Review:

Coming Back to the Computer a few Hours Later to Form a Semi-Coherent Rant

WARNING: Extreme fury, extensive amounts of picture use, and wrath of hell ahead.

Oh, and maybe some spoilers, but who cares about those?

After this... I will never read this series again. Ever. I'm perfectly happy not knowing how this situation is going to play out for Jessie.

I would start by complai
Jules
Sep 30, 2010 Jules marked it as to-read
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

END THIS MISERY, YOU CRUEL PEOPLE, AND GIVE ME THE BOOK! O_O
Alyssa
I don’t understand books like these. I mean, I do. Usually, the writing is simple, the plot is comprehensible and the characters read off like simple sentences. I understand the books – sorta – but I just don’t get why they sell, why they’re so interesting. Could someone please tell me where the appeal lies in reading a complete rip-off? In controlling, wishy-washy guys? In supposedly-intelligent yet insipid, boring protagonists? In mean girls who get everything they want?

I liked 13 to Life bett
Kristy
Usually when I read this type of YA, paranormal/werewolf/vampire book I am so engorssed I can hardly put it down. I get so wrapped up in the characters, I wind up finishing it in 1 or 2 sittings. Not so much with this one, I really just wanted to quit reading it at times, but I have a very hard time justifying just putting a book down unless it's just horrendous. So, I did finish it, but I am guilty of skimming.

Complaints:
1. There are way too many Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer references and pat-on-the-back moments. I can
Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)
Secrets and Shadows starts a few weeks from where 13 to Life ended, I was a little disappointed about that because after that huge cliffhanger that 13 to Life left us with, I was dying to know what happened! We do get some recaps from Jessie shortly after the book begins that explains a few things of what happened that night, so I was pretty happy about that.

Even thought the Rusakovas and Jessie had a life-changing night, there was still the normal part of life waiting for Pietr and Jessie at s
Linette
1.5 This. Book. Sucked. Sorry for being so blunt but it's the truth. I only gave this book the extra .5 because of Max, Cat, Amy, and Pietr. A little for Max, Cat, and Amy because they are the only characters in this whole book that I actually liked. A tiny, tiny amount for Pietr because throughout most of the book he had some sense in ignoring Jessica. Until the End. Yeah, I get it. I shouldn't be wishing that. But hello? I can't help it!

First of all-this book is just like Twilight. In the firs
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Ever feel like you're missing something? I was constantly reminded that I'm not a Twi-Hard by the never-ending references to the Saga, especially Breaking Dawn (I think). How can the author refer to things (view spoiler) and not explain them enough for me, someone who only made it half way through New Moon, to understand what the heck you're talking about.

I got the feeling that the editors went over this with a fine toot
Amanda-Lee (StoryWings)
Ms Delany seems to have a serious Twilight complex and it doesn’t bode well with this book.

Jessie is still struggling to come to terms with how her life has been flipped on its head in the past year. Now she also has to deal with the increasing distance Pietr is putting between them whilst still agreeing to help the werewolves release their captured mother.

Jessie seems to have had a complete character change from how I remember her in the first book. She went from being a likeable, seemingly int
Mary (BookHounds)
**slight spoilers**

The story picks right up after 13 to Life ends and answers a few questions about the cliffhanger ending. It took me about 100 pages to really become interested in the story in this one as well since I had the same issues with the first book. The last two-thirds of the book was a page turner. Of course this one ends with a cliffhanger as well, so be prepared to wait another a year (fingers crossed, maybe later this year?) to read the next installment.

Jess, Cat and Pietr are tr
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Secrets and Shadows is nothing I expected it to be as it is full of twists and turns and nothing is what it seems. Shannon totally took me on one heck of an emotional roller coaster with this sequel. One minute I want to yell at Pietr and Jess, and the next moment I'm laughing at Max or sighing over Pietr and Max's affection for Jess. Let me just say, there is a lot of that happens in Secrets and Shadows that kept me emotional invested into the story until the very end.

The characters r
Primero
*Spoilers*

Pietr thought he was protecting Jess by pushing her away. He might forget that he wasn't the only threads Jess got. Not to mention, while he thought he "physically" protecting her, he "mentally hurting" her by dating her best friend who was a former phycho-b***h, Sarah. I kind of think she deserved it because she's the one who pushed Pietr away in the first place.

Jess thought Pietr didn't want her anymore and tried to move on. Later, around the last two chapter or so, Pietr revealed th
Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1))
I am pissed off at Shanon Delaney. Very, very, very pissed off. And no, those three stars above weren't a typo, this book earned every one of them, it just pissed me off. So before i start my rant, I want you guys to know one thing. I do not hate the 13 to life books, no, I actually enjoyed them very much. I won't lie, i did, and this book was enjoyable too when I wasn't contemplating punching it. However, I am going to give these books it's props.

The 1/2 star.
These books give me joy while readi
Kαтє
Phia
Sep 03, 2010 Phia marked it as to-read
Cover is pretty, I like how it's related to the first book! Can't wait to read this.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Original Review Posted by Rabid Reads at: http://rabid-reads.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-secrets-and-shadows-by-shannon.html

I expected this book to be full speed ahead after the way 13 to Life ended but Shannon Delany maintained the same slow leisurely pace in this second installment much to my disappointment. The first book set the foundation for this series so a lot of world-building was to be expected but Secrets and Shadows should have been all about the action but instead, it's just more of
Khalia Hades
Jess thought everything would finally fall into place. Pietr understood what she wanted from him and what he needed to do with her best friend Sarah. Amy had a love, Sophia was starting to see things, Derek was interested and so much more. Even though Pietr kept pushing himself away from Jessica, she wanted so badly to be with him, and then there was Derek desperate to be with her. Wanting to treat her as the special girl she could be.

Everything twists and turns in this amazing and exciting sequ
Cristy
SECRETS AND SHADOWS, the second book of the 13 to life series picks up right were the first book leaves off. Jess is trying to deal with all that she has recently learned about the Russian boy she loves and his family. Adjusting to the knowledge that they are werewolves is not the only drama of her newly oh so complicates love life.. She has to come to terms with the fact she has killed a man, albeit in self-defense, but sill traumatic on the psyche none the less. There's also the issue of the ...more
Kristen My Bookish Fairy Tale
The amazing story of the Rusakova's and Jessie continue with the sequel to 13 to Life. If we thought there were complications and trouble in the first book we haven't seen anything yet. The high school drama, CIA drama and friendship drama continue.

Pietr starts to push Jessie away and closer to Sarah and Jessie cannot figure out why. She know's Pietr's secret and has sworn to protect the family secret but it doesn't seem to be enough because Pietr has cut himself off from Jessie completely.
As
Seduced By Books
What can I say - - other than young adult needs a new breakout genre - - this book had me on the edge of my seat.

Tension mounts as Delany does it again! I want happiness for Jess, but I don't want the stories to end. So as soon as you think things are falling into place, Delany hits you in a spiral.

Jess is getting walked on, over and stomped...but she keeps rolling on. Her character grows a bit stronger throughout the book, maybe not stronger pursa, but more with it and able to react quicker.
Jodie
I have read some reviews on this book that made me laugh so hard I was almost sick, and its because they were right on the money.

This book was so frustrating! But, as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I kinda enjoyed it. I'm not sure if laughing in the serious moments was the desired outcome, but anything that makes me giggle is worth it for me. It got better.

If you have seen any reviews that compare these first 2 books to Twilight/New Moon, they aren't kidding. Only Edward is a werewolf. True.
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
Secrets and Shadows is nothing I expected it to be as it is full of twists and turns and nothing is what it seems. Shannon totally took me on one heck of an emotional roller coaster with this sequel. One minute I want to yell at Pietr and Jess, and the next moment I'm laughing at Max or sighing over Pietr and Max's affection for Jess. Let me just say, there is a lot of that happening in Secrets and Shadows that kept me emotionally invested in the story until the very end.

The characters really g
Say
A great follow up indeed. Tho I hated Pietr here with all his self loathing, this was way better than the first one. And yup a lot of secrets were indeed revealed. We now know what Derek really is. (view spoiler) and we get a glimpse on Amy's story. And that ending.....poor Jess!

Review May 2011:
at first i had a hard time getting into this book....why? well, i forgot how the story went in the first book and how it ended so i was a lil bit
Michelle
You know, the first book kind of pissed me off with the whole Pietr and Sarah thing. But this one made me furious. How desperate is this little twerp who dares to call herself a "heroine." I mean, every time Pietr tries to push her away what does our intrepid gal do? She kisses him! Obviously he doesn't remember how amazing she is and how he can't resist her and all. And It Fragging Works! Ugh! Gag me with a spoon and toss me something to wash down the nasty taste in the back of my mouth. Nasty ...more
Drea
Okay so I just finished reading this book like 10 minutes ago. Let me tell you I absolutely positively love this book.

the main character is amazing and i absolutely love her. Ugh pietr is so irritating but i can't help but love him.

This book shows how jessie gets closer to the family besides pietr and i love it SOOOOO much!!!
epically max!

this book kept me laughing through the whole thing!

and i finally get to know what derek is! i had been wondering about him since the first book!

and the ending m
Ebru Demir
Son zamanlarda okuduğum kitaplar, serilerin 2. kitabı pek de iyi olmuyor düşüncemi yıkma yönünde adımlar atıyor gerçekten.
İlk kitap hediye olarak gelmiş, okuyup hoşuma gidince de ikinci kitabı kendim almıştım. Okumak bugüne kısmetmiş.

Rusakova`lar için çok zor günler. Annelerinin yaşadığını öğrenip, ona ulaşamamanın verdiği çaresizlik duygusu ile müdale ediyorlar. Onu kurtarma yönünde attıkları her adımda ise taşa takılıyorlar. Bu süreçte en büyük yardımcıları ise Jess.
Jess`in sırrı hala aydınlat
Michelle
Ok... life makes more sense when all the true dirt bags fully reveal themselves - which I had called it. Pietr although struggling still but for the most part is getting over himself... thank goodness... I heard for 2 books about how he wants to be normal and now? And mom... she is alive... what is the reason for her imprisonment? I feel they should sneak her the cure and then she can be done with it. I got to say in the first book, I thought Max for the most part was an ass, but I will say that ...more
Bec ♥ Live for the ones you love ♥
I really like this book once I got into it. I like the characters and it's an interesting storyline so thats refreshing. I really enjoyed the characters and thought Max was especially funny, I found myself laughing on a number of occasions which is also a good thing. The only thing that annoyed me was the ending. Not because it was bad but because that's just not how I wanted it to go. Can't wait for the next one!!
Marie
Really bad. I actually enjoyed the first one, but this is just...ugh. I might post a rant later, but I don't have the energy right now. In my opinion, I would not waste your time on this series.

CONTENT: Kissing, references to sex, mention of a period. The main character unbuttons her shirt to distract a werewolf that's trying to kill someone, some swearing, no f words, and quite a bit of violence.
Ayesha
Ohhhhhhh..... What a ride! Heartache and sexytimes and betrayal all leading up to one hell of a cliffhanger! I'm still a touch confused, what with Sophia and Derek, but I'm sure I just need a minute to process. The third book can't come in to the library request line soon enough!
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Low Red Moon
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • Magic of the Moonlight (Full Moon, #2)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • Half Moon (The Crescent #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Bloodborn (Other, #2)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2)
  • The Iron Quill (The Pace, #3)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles, #1)
3200239
Shannon Delany's newest novel, WEATHER WITCH (St. Martin's Press) is already available for pre-order (which both stuns and delights Delany)!

Shannon Delany has written stories since she was a child. She began writing in earnest when her grandmother fell unexpectedly ill during a family vacation. In 2008 her greatly abbreviated version of 13 to Life (written in just five weeks) won the grand prize i
More about Shannon Delany...

13 to Life (5 books)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3)
  • Destiny and Deception (13 to Life, #4)
  • Rivals and Retribution (13 to Life, #5)
13 to Life (13 to Life, #1) Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3) Destiny and Deception (13 to Life, #4) Rivals and Retribution (13 to Life, #5) Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)

“Yes. Da,' I corrected.
'Say it again.'
'What?"'
His voice grew husky as he repeated his request. 'Say yes—in Russian—again.'
I blushed. 'Da,' I whispered. 'Will you teach me more Russian, Pietr?'
'Mmm, only the important words,' he promised.
I bit back my request for the three most important words to me. 'What words would you teach me?'
'Pocelujte menyah.'
'What's that mean?'
He groaned. 'Repeat it tonight and perhaps I will show you.”
61 likes
“Max,' I said, looking up at him, 'I love the Russian heritage you guys are so willing to share, but I'm not so thrilled with the French.'
'What?' His brows lowered. 'We're not French.'
'Great. So the next time you feel the need to kiss me, keep your tongue out of my mouth!”
44 likes