Start by marking “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I (Sherlock Holmes)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  511 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
This collection of Sherlock Holmes stories includes "The Copper Beeches", "The Red-Headed League", "The Speckled Band" and "The Stockbroker's Clerk". A cassette set is also available.

Classic Literature With Classical Music
Audio CD, Abridged
Published February 1st 1998 by Naxos Audiobooks (first published January 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I

Vinoth G
Aug 11, 2014 Vinoth G rated it it was amazing
The complete adventures of sherlock holmes is truly a master piece of a work. With each unexpected but not unthinkable twists the story keeps you engaged through out.

The solution of most of cases finally makes us feel that it was really not hard a case at all. But then who could pay much attention as the great Sherlock Holmes.

Such ingenious writing that compels you to finish a story without setting the book aside.

Too good a writing that suits anyone of any age.
Jonathan
Sep 05, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it
My first Conan Doyle - at last ! - and they do not disappoint I can feel this is the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship.
Melody
Dec 24, 2014 Melody rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
My first attempt at Sherlock Holmes. Tiresome and predictable. I'll read another, but won't expect much.
Jeremy C.
Aug 14, 2013 Jeremy C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if I'll do a review on each volume of this audiobook?... There are about three stories on each each of the five volumes of this audio series which contain the twelve Sherlock Holmes episodes, but they can also be found on audiobook through librivox as they are in the open domain.

I'm very much enjoying the writing and the stories so far. It's nice to finally go straight to the source of and inspiration for many of the mystery driven movies that have taken place since this famous super i
Teresa
Oct 15, 2007 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I've always been a bit of a fan of mystery stories and in my childhood I read a lot of Cam Jansan and Encyclopedia Brown books. Yeah, they're picture books, but I still enjoy them. What I enjoy most about mystery and detective stories is that it connects with the reader in a very intellectual level - the working of the mind to crack the case along with the characters in the story.

Serlock Holmes, perhaps the greatest fictional detective of all time is a character that I will never forget. The fa
Duca Blueheart
Povestile cu Sherlock Holmes sunt povestile mele preferate inca de cand eram mica. Atunci cand am citit prima data Un Studiu in Rosu eram in clasa a 3-a si mi-a placut maxim, desi nu intelegeam prea mult. Am fost pur si simplu fascinata de inteligenta detectivului, desi finalul, ca si acum, mi s-a parut plictisitor.

Nu pot sa spun ca am o poveste preferata din aceasta carte, insa as inclina spre Banda Patata a fost probabil primul caz pe care l-am dedus inainte sa aflu deznodamantul, desi trebui
Lisa
Oct 03, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
"Read," as in "listened to, but still enjoyable.
This audiobook includes:
"The Copper Beeches", "The Red-Headed League", "The Speckled Band" and "The Stockbroker's Clerk."

David Timson does a fine job narrating, giving depth through voice to Doyle's characters. These four are classic tales, but they're still wonderful, even on a re-read (or re-listen, as it were).
Christi
Dec 21, 2015 Christi rated it liked it
One of the problems with "the classics" is that by the time you read them, they seem cliche and trite.
These little mysteries unfold and then some how Holmes just has it all figured out "and he knew it all along" just by looking at things with a magnifying glass.

Of the four stories in this collection, The Speckled Band was the best.
John
May 20, 2014 John rated it liked it
not a bad selection, but too many of the stories involve imposture and don't involve much detecting so much as explaining after the fact. Still, Speckled Band is a classic & "The Red Headed League" sets a tone the series would repeat until it was threadbare.
Elise
Nov 17, 2014 Elise rated it it was ok
I listened to these on overdrive audio book. It was pretty hard for me to follow on the audio book, and so I had to repeat the stories from the point where I got lost. When I read these books a few years ago I did not have this trouble at all, and my enjoyment of the books was much greater. I will perhaps give up "listening" to Sherlock Holmes and will only read from this point forward.
Matt
This was a collection of three Sherlock Holmes stories that I felt did not go together at all. Overall I really did not care for the stories. I felt like they were difficult to follow, although that could have had a lot to do with the time they were written. I also found myself simply not being entertained by the character of Sherlock Holmes. I rather wish he was more like the Sherlock played by Robert Downey Jr. in the movies as he was humorous and entertaining. The Sherlock in these stories wa ...more
Rob
Jan 08, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing
David Timson's reading bring these great stories to vivid life. highly highly recommended.
Etta Mcquade
Finally, after all these years, I've read about the ultimate British detective and his pipe, cape and friend Watson. The first 12 stories are entertaining, and I enjoyed our superhero, the disguise-loving genuis, who can look at people and see right into their minds, who uses the power of good for mankind, and whom everyone in Victorian London, from the lowliest governess to the highest nobleman, comes to when they need help. Some very clever endings of the stories, too.
Dianne
Jan 26, 2015 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Sherlock and Dr. Watson's adventures.
Jessica
Jan 22, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery, audio
I love the Sherlock Holmes stories and have ever since I can remember.
(I remember making up stories to go with my Mom's Holmes' collection before I could read). I started to listen to them on audio when I got my walkman and have loved most of the adaptations and performances of the stories that I've read. This version was good, but I confess a fondness for "Sir John Gielgud in the role of Sherlock Holmes."
Kristin Fletcher-spear
To prepare myself for watching the Sherlock Holmes movie I wanted to read something with Holmes and Watson in it. So I listened to this audio version of a handful of short stories. While I was a little disappointed with the short stories (I guessed the conclusion of the mysteries) I did enjoy the details of Holmes. He made for an intriguing character. I'll have to pick up a novel-length story next!
Sally Lindsay-briggs
This was a library "Blind Date" book-all wrapped up and there was the fun of finding out what it was. I've seen television shows about Sherlock and Holmes but I realized I hadn't read any of the books. This was really fun to read and help solve the many mysteries. That must be one reason the author was knighted by the King. The collection of stories were wonderful. It was a great surprise!
Danielle
Ke Huang
Mar 11, 2011 Ke Huang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a work completed more than a century ago, it is amazing that I still feel the charm of the story. The work provides great insights into the human nature. I really liked then Holmes made all the little details fit in.

It was almost disappointing to feel the end of the work coming. I only wished that it could have been longer, or if the stories stretched out.
Beckie
Jul 01, 2013 Beckie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved these stories! There are 3, each about an hour, and listening to them was easy on the ears. They are short and sweet, like watching a 1-hour episode of Matlock or Murder, She Wrote, vs a 2-hour special, which is usually an hour too long. I can totally picture Robert Downey, Jr and Jude Law while listening :)

I am borrowing Volume 2 next!
Beth Jusino
The game's afoot with this series of 12 original Sherlock Holmes tales. The early tales vary in quality, and aren't nearly as complex or unexpected as the longer novels. But they're lively and fun, with blustery London weather and a host of familiar characters who populate Victorian streets and classes. A pleasant diversion for a long airplane ride.
Mayda
Feb 18, 2012 Mayda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have enjoyed the acting talents of Edward Hardwicke as Dr. Watson in the BBC television series with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes, you will undoubtedly also enjoy these stories from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, narrated by Hardwicke. These six unabridged mysteries are as well performed as they are written.
Miki
Nov 15, 2011 Miki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be thoroghly entertaining and remarkably well written. Once I picked up this book I was not capable of setting it down until I had finished it. Sherlock Holmes has now become one of my greatest fictional heroes, and I believe that this will be true for anyone else who has read this.
Joe
Sep 16, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
The classic stories, the ones that really consolidated Holmes popularity, and also the ones that confirmed me as a fan. This collection probably has more of the best stories Doyle wrote for Holmes than any other single collection. They are all good, but this is the best
arg/machine
Jan 06, 2012 arg/machine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The super sleuth's adventures are in the public domain, and a free electronic copy can be found here.
Valerie
Aug 04, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if this is the same volume that I read. This was the first time I had read any Sherlock Holmes stories. The stories are quick reads. I enjoy the characters and reading about a different time period.
Muphyn
My first Arthur Conan Doyle experience - why I haven't I tried his stories earlier??! Really enjoyed these four stories though I liked "The Speckled Band" and "The Stockbroker's Clerk" best.

Fabulously narrated!
Natalie
Jan 21, 2013 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the writing GOES ON AND ON but otherwise I love the humor and Holmes is great and even though the surprise solution to the case is only there for the first read, i still love re-reading the stories.
Tabitha
Oct 21, 2013 Tabitha rated it it was amazing
I downloaded these short stories in audiobook format from Overdrive via my local library and I loved them! Why has it taken me so long to read Sherlock Holmes? I'll definitely be finding some more.
Jordan
Nov 25, 2013 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh, ok. Not my type- really, I read it to count towards my books for English. Hated the fact how Sherlock jumped around in the way he talked. DID NOT get his reasoning, but he's a smart man I guess.
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories
  • The Brothers of Baker Street (Baker Street Letters, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Principles of Economics
  • Sikolohiyang Pilipino: Teorya, Metodo, at Gamit = Filipino Psychology: Theory, Method, and Application
  • The Discourses & Other Early Political Writings (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Poirot: In the Orient (Murder in Mesopotamia / Death on the Nile / Appointment with Death)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • Casanova: Actor Lover Priest Spy
  • The Prince and The Discourses
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Complete Plays of Gilbert and Sullivan
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Um Estudo em Vermelho / Os Sete Mistérios (Obras Completas de Sherlock Holmes, #1)