Start by marking “Pretty Monsters” as Want to Read:
Pretty Monsters

Pretty Monsters

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A lonely boy in bungalow 6 is taunted by the other kids on camp. Then he meets a monster in the snow, a monster with a sense of humour. He is the only one to talk to it, but only after it has eaten the rest of bungalow 6. Dorn misses his soccer match when his father kidnaps him to be held in quarantine under machine-gun guard in Costa Rica-while they wait for the aliens to ...more
Published May 31st 2010 by Text Publishing (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Monsters

Kat
This collection took me completely by surprise. I was expecting to finish it in a day, but it took me two weeks. I was expecting more... werewolves? Only one out of the five stories did I fall in love with within the first two pages or so, but even when I thought I was enjoying a story (Pretty Monsters?), I ended up changing my mind right at the end of the story. My least favourite is The Surfer, though there are some cool politix going on in there, and my favourite was The Constable of Abel for ...more
Jessica Armstrong
Review also on How to Rule an Asteroid

I can't bring myself to give this book a one out of five stars – I just can't. Maybe it's because I bought the book based on the absolutely stunning cover. It's so pretty! The pages are even lined in black, which I never see done in the world of fiction. I love looking at it on the shelf – and only a select few know (and now you do, too!) that my copy is both upside down and backwards.

I thought to myself – Neil Gaiman gave the book (or perhaps just Link her
Ida
Kelly Link har ett originellt och fascinerande språk och Ia Lind gör ett strålande jobb i översättningen av Links novellsamling "Pretty Monsters", på svenska uppdelad i två delar. Jag fångas av de välskrivna berättelserna & undrar vad som mer gömmer sig i Links huvud.

I den andra delen, "Askungeleken och andra berättelser", föredrar jag hennes skräck- och SF-liknande historier men är inte lika förtjust i hennes fantasyvärld. Mina favoriter i denna del är "Monstret" och "Surfaren". I "Monstret
Ben Thurley
While I didn't find this quite as compelling as her first collection, The Wrong Grave, this is still a fine collection of stories in which our familiar worlds and fears (monsters, disease, love and loss) are viewed through a prism, cracked and askew. And, as with the first collection, it manages to be funny and moving as well as dark and strange.
Jacqui Hencsie
I loved this collection of stories, more so than Link's other book I have read (Stranger Things Happen). I would honestly read a whole series of books based on "The Wizards of Perfil"
Jim Krotzman
I like the way combines fantasy, reality, and horror in the same stories. Link's are very difficult to predict.
Beth Filar Williams
Loved this collection of stories! Unique, creative with a touch of magic. I am ready to search right now and see if Kelly link has more stories, a new favorite author.
A wonderfully weird collection of fantasy short stories. Link is definitely like no one else out there, though there is some flavor in her writing that reminded me of Margo Lanagan. She is equally adept at writing fantasy that takes place in the real world as in other worlds, and everything about her stories is unexpected. I can't say I always understood it, but I loved the sense of dislocation leading to some hidden truth.
Susanne
The second part of the translation of Kelly Link's Pretty Monsters is just as good as the first. The stories are captivating little morsels of fantastic, just about the right length to read in the evening or on the train.

I imagine it would be even better to read the stories again, just to see what I I missed the first go.

Highly recommended to fans of the fantastic!
Anna
Each story started out interesting and exciting and page turning.... And then all the endings were disappointing. Not terrible, but a let down.
Karen
Spooky and charming! Delightfully written.
Emily Slavin
Emily Slavin marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
frkvinter
frkvinter marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Meire
Meire marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Megan Ferguson
Megan Ferguson marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jiullia Silva
Jiullia Silva marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Jenny Justice
Jenny Justice marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • Daughters of Earth: Feminist Science Fiction in the Twentieth Century
  • Women and Other Animals: Stories
  • House Hunter
  • Oracle's Legacy: Children of Sun (Book 1)
  • Her Fingers
  • Dark Property
  • Madrigal: A Novel of Gaston LeRoux's the Phantom of the Opera
  • Highway Cats
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
  • Chronopolis
  • Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)
  • Pappersväggar
  • Odinsbarn (Ravneringene #1)
  • The New Weird
  • So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Viriconium
  • The Kafka Effekt
  • Extraterrestrial Sex Fetish
Kelly Link is an American author of short stories born in 1969. Her stories might be described as slipstream or magic realism: sometimes a combination of science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, and realism.
More about Kelly Link...
Magic for Beginners Stranger Things Happen Pretty Monsters: Stories Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories Get in Trouble

“Jeremy is an optimist. Maybe there's something good on TV. He settles down with the remote control on one of his father's pet couches: oversized and reupholstered in an orange-juice-colored corduroy that makes it appear as if the couch has just escaped from a maximum security prison for criminally insane furniture. This couch looks like it's hobby is devouring interior decorators. Jeremy's father is a horror writer, so no one should be surprised if some of the couches he reupholsters are hideous and eldritch.” 2 likes