Start by marking “Pretty Monsters” as Want to Read:
Pretty Monsters

Pretty Monsters

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A lonely boy in bungalow 6 is taunted by the other kids on camp. Then he meets a monster in the snow, a monster with a sense of humour. He is the only one to talk to it, but only after it has eaten the rest of bungalow 6. Dorn misses his soccer match when his father kidnaps him to be held in quarantine under machine-gun guard in Costa Rica-while they wait for the aliens to ...more
Published May 31st 2010 by Text Publishing (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Monsters

Jessica Armstrong
Review also on How to Rule an Asteroid

I can't bring myself to give this book a one out of five stars – I just can't. Maybe it's because I bought the book based on the absolutely stunning cover. It's so pretty! The pages are even lined in black, which I never see done in the world of fiction. I love looking at it on the shelf – and only a select few know (and now you do, too!) that my copy is both upside down and backwards.

I thought to myself – Neil Gaiman gave the book (or perhaps just Link her
Ida
Kelly Link har ett originellt och fascinerande språk och Ia Lind gör ett strålande jobb i översättningen av Links novellsamling "Pretty Monsters", på svenska uppdelad i två delar. Jag fångas av de välskrivna berättelserna & undrar vad som mer gömmer sig i Links huvud.

I den andra delen, "Askungeleken och andra berättelser", föredrar jag hennes skräck- och SF-liknande historier men är inte lika förtjust i hennes fantasyvärld. Mina favoriter i denna del är "Monstret" och "Surfaren". I "Monstret
Ben Thurley
While I didn't find this quite as compelling as her first collection, The Wrong Grave, this is still a fine collection of stories in which our familiar worlds and fears (monsters, disease, love and loss) are viewed through a prism, cracked and askew. And, as with the first collection, it manages to be funny and moving as well as dark and strange.
Jacqui Hencsie
I loved this collection of stories, more so than Link's other book I have read (Stranger Things Happen). I would honestly read a whole series of books based on "The Wizards of Perfil"
Jim Krotzman
I like the way combines fantasy, reality, and horror in the same stories. Link's are very difficult to predict.
Beth Filar Williams
Loved this collection of stories! Unique, creative with a touch of magic. I am ready to search right now and see if Kelly link has more stories, a new favorite author.
A wonderfully weird collection of fantasy short stories. Link is definitely like no one else out there, though there is some flavor in her writing that reminded me of Margo Lanagan. She is equally adept at writing fantasy that takes place in the real world as in other worlds, and everything about her stories is unexpected. I can't say I always understood it, but I loved the sense of dislocation leading to some hidden truth.
Susanne
The second part of the translation of Kelly Link's Pretty Monsters is just as good as the first. The stories are captivating little morsels of fantastic, just about the right length to read in the evening or on the train.

I imagine it would be even better to read the stories again, just to see what I I missed the first go.

Highly recommended to fans of the fantastic!
Anna
Each story started out interesting and exciting and page turning.... And then all the endings were disappointing. Not terrible, but a let down.
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Jessica Robinson
Jessica Robinson marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Amber Draper
Amber Draper marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Emily Street
Emily Street marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Ian Cole
Ian Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
K
K marked it as to-read
Marion
Marion marked it as to-read
Juliana Skwara
Juliana Skwara marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Taeko Adachi
Taeko Adachi is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Tim Linder
Tim Linder marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Anja Boskovic
Anja Boskovic marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
SUSAN
SUSAN marked it as to-read
Melki
Melki marked it as to-read
  • Women and Other Animals: Stories
  • House Hunter
  • Dark Property
  • Her Fingers
  • Highway Cats
  • Chronopolis
  • Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)
  • Pappersväggar
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
  • Madrigal: A Novel of Gaston LeRoux's the Phantom of the Opera
  • Errantry: Strange Stories
  • All the Windwracked Stars (The Edda of Burdens, #1)
  • The New Weird
  • The Last Horror Novel in the History of the World
  • The January Dancer (January Dancer, #1)
  • Abortion Arcade
  • Viriconium
  • Atmospheres
Kelly Link is an American author of short stories born in 1969. Her stories might be described as slipstream or magic realism: sometimes a combination of science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, and realism.
More about Kelly Link...
Magic for Beginners Stranger Things Happen Pretty Monsters: Stories Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet

“Jeremy is an optimist. Maybe there's something good on TV. He settles down with the remote control on one of his father's pet couches: oversized and reupholstered in an orange-juice-colored corduroy that makes it appear as if the couch has just escaped from a maximum security prison for criminally insane furniture. This couch looks like it's hobby is devouring interior decorators. Jeremy's father is a horror writer, so no one should be surprised if some of the couches he reupholsters are hideous and eldritch.” 2 likes