Start by marking “Winning” as Want to Read:
Winning

Winning (Winning #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  22,584 ratings  ·  403 reviews
Jack Welch knows how to win. During his forty-year career at General Electric, he led the company to year-after-year success around the globe, in multiple markets, against brutal competition. His honest, be-the-best style of management became the gold standard in business, with his relentless focus on people, teamwork, and profits.

Since Welch retired in 2001 as chairman an
Published April 5th 2005 by HarperBusiness (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Winning, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Winning by Jack WelchThe Essential Drucker by Peter F. DruckerLeadership Made Easy by Randall D. PonderThe Leader's Guide by Randall D. PonderThe Practice of Management by Peter F. Drucker
Best Management Books
1st out of 19 books — 12 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Favorite memoirs/autobiographies
275th out of 1,079 books — 1,065 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
1) Keep your HR Director on the Senior Team.

2) The top 20% usually do a great job of managing their work-life balance because they've learned to cultivate relationships, budget time, set boundaries and absorb surprises. Crisis at home seldom spills over to work. By contrast, the other 80% usually have trouble keeping things in check because they lack these skills or cannot seem to translate them from one environment to the other.

3) Avoid people/weed out people who think/talk/act like victims. A
Louis
Jan 23, 2008 Louis added it
Comments on "Winning" by Jack Welch

This is a very down to earth book; with lots of advices that are sensible and convincing. Also, this book is suitable for even job-starters. In fact, I think it is particularly valuable for our kids because it prepare them for what the real world looks like and what they should do in order to succeed (not just to climb the corporate ladder but to achieve job satisfaction).

For instance, it points out quite a number of key problems with most Chinese companies: no
Ruslan Kuzamysh
UNDERNEATH IT ALL

Have a positive attitude and spread it around, never let yourself be a victim, and for goodness' sake -- have fun.

MISSION AND VALUES

Effective mission statements balance the possible and the impossible.

Setting the mission is top management's responsibility. A mission cannot be delegated to anyone except the people ultimately held accountable for it.

Example Value Statement: "We treat customers the way we would want to be treated" translates into:

*** Give customers a good, fair dea
Hung
May 12, 2014 Hung added it
Saw this a while ago while putzing about at the Denver library (there was a stack of 8 or so of this book, which caught my eye). I'm not particularly interested in business management on a practical level, but these corporate self-help books have always intrigued me. So I read it with a strange, almost voyeuristic fascination.

It's been a couple years, so I won't go into many specifics of the contents. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure you can find more helpful reviews, or better yet, j
Aljoharah Alobaikan
This book is so great written by Jack Welch who is one of the most prominent CEOs of the last century. He has earned name recognition from people around the world.
It’s written clearly and simply it's not filled with "the same old stuff". Even the principles you've heard before are presented through his own interesting experiences.
Unlike many other authors who can be somewhat academic. Welch talks a lot about ethics and the need to win fairly while maintaining high ethical standards. He has a
Pradit Pinyopasakul
Winning is one of the book I like the best, due to its practicality. Although I finished reading this book since 6 years ago, I still remember the chapter on Strategy which is really practical. That chapter contains questions that you can use to run a workshop to develop a strategy for your company. It as well suggests the best practices of companies that win.

This book covers all the topics that management have to concern, starting from how to set corporate vision and values, candor as the best
Julia
This book came in a goodie bag in a new job orientation class. No prizes for guessing which company that was for! Jack W. has a hard lined approach to management. The biggest takeaway from this book is Welch's philosophy: GE doesn't hire the brightest because they don't buy his bulldozer style. GE hires those who are driven, ambitious and determined to succeed with grit, tenacity and unquestioning subordination to the GE way of life.

Welch managed GE in an era where American manufacturing led the
Lance
I have to confess that I was a little biased in selecting this book as the next one for me to read. I thought it a good idea to get some ideas from the man that did so much to transform the company that employs me today. The GE of today is not the GE that Jack built, and yet in many ways it is in that Jack Welch provided the foundation for the culture that exists in the company today. A lot of what I see at work made so much more sense after reading what Jack wrote.

I say Jack because I felt almo
Serise
Winning. Winning. Winning. Where do I even start with Winning? This is an audiobook/book that I listen to and read ALL THE TIME. Differentiation, 20-70-10, and who can forget CANDAH?

If you get the audiobook, keep in mind that this is narrated by Jack Welch. In full Bostonian accent. However, it adds a certain rawness and grit to a business book that really gives it nice dimension.

I'm a pretty big Jack Welch fan, but there are some down points. I feel that Six Sigma is a flawed methodology, a p
Alissa Thorne
When compared the the business books that claim to have a magic formula that applies to any business, person or situation, the opinionated perspective of one guy and his experience was a welcome relief. I admit, when I first started the book, the abrasive tone and grating voice of the author was offputting--I didn't think I was going to get through much. However, it wasn't long before I forgot all about the audio experience and became engrossed in the material.

Even at the times when I felt that
Adam Wiggins
Wide-ranging business advice from someone who was very successful over the course of his career. Topics include performance reviews, mergers and acquisitions, strategy, budgeting, hiring, and firing.

My favorite part was the bit about building trust in the organization through candor. In social life we've learned to be polite, not be critical of others, etc. In business you have to be honest, direct, and straight-forward with people, especially when you have critical feedback for them. In a word,
Essam AlGhamdi
This book is the heart of HR department, great book would give you some hits and ways to evaluate and choose your career. Nevertheless , Jack exaggerates the importuning of HR which is not the reality. Read Winning the Answers book as added value on top of the Winning book.
كتاب ممتاز ، اعتبره قلب قسم إدارة الموارد البشرية ، فيه بعض النصائح والإرشادات عن تقييم الوضع الحالي و المستقبلي للموظف
مال الكاتب إلى تضخيم أهميه وظيفية إدارة الموارد البشريه في قيادة الشركة ، مما أتوقع انه ليس واقعيا، حبيت ال
TarasProkopyuk
Хорошие и очень ценные уроки от одного из лучших топ-менеджеров мира.

Уэлч в свое время вытянул из кризиса компанию General Electric и сделал её одной из самых успешных в мире (с 1981 по 2001 гг., общая стоимость корпорации возросла в 30 раз - с 14 до почти 400 миллиардов долларов. General Electric стала второй компанией по прибыльности в мире). Теперь Джек ушёл на заслуженный отдых и делится своим богатым опытом со всеми кому это интересно и необходимо.

Хорошая книга и сам автор достоин уважени
Aoi
Aug 29, 2013 Aoi added it
Shelves: business
1. The HR Director must be at least as important as the CFO

2. Mismatch between mission statement and business- Enron Auditing vs Enron Consultancy

3.The GE Work-Out!!

4.Divide every organization into the top 20, middle 70 & bottom 10 percent. Treat the stars well- heavy bonuses, fat compensation & benefits, but let them stay grounded. Motivate the middle 70 percent to improve- they are your backbone and indispensable. Work towards slowly replacing the bottom 10.

5.The best place to be bos
Tanja Berg
A few pages into the book I was shocked at how American this book is. If employees don't deliver, get rid of them is one of the messages. If business units don't deliver (are number 1 or 2 in their sectors), shut them down. Of course, there is nothing wrong with this advice, it's just very difficult to implement. Not that I've had to, as of yet. Anywhow, Welch has been very succesful throughout his career and this book is his concise take on business. There is definitely constructive input to be ...more
Martianngray
I would recommend this book to anyone no matter if you are a business person or not. I really loved this book and kept talking to Shawn about it. I think his theories can apply to everyone in whatever they are doing in life. I kept thinking about the characteristics of a "winning person" and what I can do to improve. Basically his take home message is that a "winning person" is one who helps others succeed in life. What a great message. He gives lots of great practical advice for self-improvemen ...more
Reagan Ramsey
i really enjoyed this...jack welch is definitely not a politically correct author, but i appreciated his candor and insight in to what makes a company great. i would do some things differently than he did, but I found him to be remarkably thoughtful in his processes; from hiring and firing, to creativity and innovation.
i think this book would be of particular value to executives in a corporate setting but many of his tenets will translate to (and challenge) smaller business owners as well.
Artem Polishchuk
Structured, provided with patterns, based on Jack's personal background, applicable to weather senior or middle leaders as well as to new managers. Absolutely fits to most markets around. I'd recommend to people who want to broaden their business acumen and to get an entire picture how business works in terms of people management, strategy setting up and business development mostly (as to me)!
Elina Ishchenko
Easy to read, extremely useful and full of practical advises you'd like to apply once you read them. This is a must read directional guide not only for former executives, but also for those who are going to be a leader.Author enreached his book with plenty of stories and real life examples illustrating each advise or principle.
Puguh
...Shall be read along with The Lexus and The Olive Tree-Thomas Friedman.

"Despite all the flags on First Avenue, there are no nations any more. Only companies. lnternational companies. lt's where we are. lt's what we are" - Kuman-Kuman from scene of "The Interpreter"
Amanda
Mar 21, 2015 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sang Lee
This was a fantastic book. I love the way that Jack writes. You feel like you're sitting in the room with him and having a conversation with him. He's mentoring you through his book.

After completing an MBA, I feel like all business students should read this book. He hits so many good business concepts right on the head. However, it's not just a book for business leaders, as some of my favorite chapters were about how to manage your own career and enjoy your job.

He breaks the book down into:
The
Abdelkader Badawi
The journey of Jack Welsh in GE inspired me a lot to start up my own business, moreover I started my MBA after reading this book.
I recommend the book for all those who think of starting a business or being a future executive
Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya
2005 or 2095? Jack and Suzy Welch’s business management and leadership title ‘Winning’ will continue to be an all-time musst-read for graduates fresh out of the university seeking employment, entrepreneurs with the next best idea that will change the world, and business executives seeking knowledge on how to remain relevant on their jobs without losing out on the benefits that come with having a family of their own.

The former Chief executive at General Electric alongside the one-time Harvard Bus
Alex Timberman
Jack Welch, one of the greats, dishes out a lot of practical wisdom in this book. He gives advice on all parts of the business from HR, M&A, competition, etc. He also gives advice from the perspective of management and from the perspective of the employee.

I found him to be a very caring leader but also at the same time a very serious businessman. It’s true, he was known for cutting out the weak or laggards throughout his long tenure. Even though he didn't try to hide the fact that he was st
Gena Divine
I started this book as I was developing the concept of what would become my recently launched business. Many of the the principles Jack discusses have already been put into action and others I'm looking forward to implementing. My biggest takeaways:

-My bosses cautioned me about my candor. Now that my GE career is over, I'm telling you that it was my candor that helped make it work. It just felt natural to speak openly, argue and debate, and get things to happen fast.

-What leaders do: -relentless
Lucas
The Candor Effect:
1) Candor gets more people in the conversation, and when you get more people in the conversation, to state the obvious,, you get idea rich. By that, I mean any more ideas get surfaced, discussed, pulled apart, and improved. Instead of everyone shutting down, everyone opens up and learns.
2) Candor generates speed. When ideas are in everyone's face, they can be debated rapidly, expanded and enhanced, and acted upon.
3) Candor cuts costs - lots - although you'll never be able to pu
Greg
The book was okay. The scope of it was a bit too wide to be appealing in general. For example, there is a lot of space dedicated to thoughts on handling mergers and acquisitions, etc. These are normally treated from the perspective of management, so most people reading the book won't have a direct need of much of the information in those chapters, and those dead spots can make the book a bit of a slog at times. And if you are management, and the much of the content does directly apply to you, I ...more
Adam
I didn't finish this book, but I'm probably not going to so this is as close as it's going to get to a proper review.

It was an interesting book. For me I found it was over half what I could call "common sense" and the other half was irrelevant to my interests (despite the majority of my career having some management component, big corporate management is something I have little interest in and no aspirations towards).

My favourite chapter was where he talked about the qualities required for a man
Henri Hämäläinen
Winning by Jack Welch and Suzy Welch was a book I would have selected myself. I got this book to my bookshelf while ago and decided to take it with me to a business trip. Book is about Jack Welch thoughts and for that reason book review is also mainly about Jack Welch.

Book itself is written in okay way and it's quite easy to read. Jack Welch is not that controversial person, but his position in business world has been so unique that I think his experience and thoughts are really suitable only fo
Jeff Bell
This is the business version of a Babe Ruth instructional on hitting home runs, Michael Jordan on winning championships, Mark Twain or Hemingway on writing, or Tiger Woods (yet to be written) on winning tournaments. Like these, Welch is an American original. He's harder on himself than anyone else is and he understands that winning is a game of percentages. At the end of the day, there are things you can do to improve the odds in your favor and protect against the big miss.

This is one of the few
Where Are The Won Books? 1 17 Jan 14, 2014 01:40PM
Winning 5 52 May 12, 2013 01:00PM
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Business @ the Speed of Thought: Succeeding in the Digital Economy
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Tough Choices: A Memoir
  • The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
John Francis "Jack" Welch, Jr. has been Chairman and CEO of General Electric, coauthor with his wife Suzy Welch of a widely read weekly business column, The Welch Way, and recently launched the "Jack Welch Management Institute," an online MBA program.
More about Jack Welch...

Winning (2 books)
  • Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today
Jack: Straight from the Gut Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today Castigatorii When Running Was Young and So Were We Vincere!

“Common mission trap for companies: trying to be all things to all people at all times.” 7 likes
“We've all been guilty at one point or another in our careers of boasting of perfect hindsight.

It's a terrible sin.

If you don't make sure your questions and concerns are acted upon, it doesn't count.”
2 likes