Start by marking “Slim Calm Sexy Yoga: 210 Proven Yoga Moves for Mind/Body Bliss” as Want to Read:
Slim Calm Sexy Yoga: 210 Proven Yoga Moves for Mind/Body Bliss

Slim Calm Sexy Yoga: 210 Proven Yoga Moves for Mind/Body Bliss

Inside this book is the secret to a new you.A slimmer, calmer, sexier you.
The secret? A revolutionary approach  to the traditional practice of yoga.
Study after study has shown that yoga offers a multitude of benefits for today’s stressedout, busy woman, including a trimmer body, stronger immunity, lower blood pressure, improved mood, better sex, and more!
In this compr
Published August 31st 2010 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Slim Calm Sexy Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slim Calm Sexy Yoga

Andrea
Apr 19, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
Tara Stiles gets a lot of shit from yoga bloggers, but I don't really understand why. If you can get beyond the fact that she's an ex-ballerina and model who is represented by CAA (and she is seriously, super-duper skinny, which methinks might be the real and secret reason bloggers hate her, mmhmm), and therefore has some "out of your league" vibe, she is actually a good yoga teacher, down-to-earth, and funny! Her book is loaded with photos that are beautiful AND helpful (if you can get past ogl ...more
Cindy
Jun 18, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Ich mache seit ungefähr einem Dreivierteljahr regelmäßig Yoga, allerdings immer nur im Studio unter der Aufsicht und Anleitung von Lehrerinnen. Ich hatte zwischendurch zwar immer wieder Lust auch mal zu Hause zu üben, auch wenn es nur eine halbe Stunde ist, wusste aber nicht so genau, wie ich anfangen oder was ich machen soll. Dann habe ich zufällig dieses Yoga-Buch von Tara Stiles entdeckt und mal geschaut, ob dies eventuell ein guter Einstieg ist. Tara Stiles scheint in Amerika eine ziemliche ...more
Lisa
May 05, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Go ahead, laugh or grimace at the title. I did. Then I thought, "I DO want to be calm and sexy!" (I've got the slim part down.) And this is not dumbed-down yoga. The woman on the cover is the author. I'm pretty sure I'll never manage some of the poses, like "crow." As a person with RA, I've learned to modify other challenging poses (due to wrist and knee pain), but don't think it's possible with the above pose! The book opens with chapters concentrating on sitting and standing poses and everythi ...more
Erin
Jul 13, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
I quibble with the title of this book. I wouldn’t have picked it up under normal circumstances because it sounds like the too-good-to-be true self-help book that will help you be slim! Be calm! Be sexy! In just two days and by not changing your lifestyle at all! But I’ve been enjoying Tara Stiles’ youtube workouts, so I thought I’d give it a try despite the title.

It’s exactly what I want in a yoga book. The book is divided into chapters like “Fit Yoga” and “Calm Yoga” so that you can choose your
Raina
Jun 22, 2012 Raina rated it it was amazing
I've been active in yoga off and on for about 4 years now (wow, that long already?), but have always been doing home practices. Sure, I've had a class here or there, but yoga classes are an expense that a college student like me can't afford. I found Tara Stiles on Youtube, and since she has become, in a sense, my personal yoga instructor. Eventually, I bought this book, and I must say, I love it. It's clear, concise, easy to follow and use (outside of the having to prop it open to remember the ...more
Shana Simmons
Mar 26, 2014 Shana Simmons rated it it was amazing
I am in love with yoga right now and Tara Stiles is one of its masters! This book has scientific evidence that backs up yoga's benefits as well as routines for specific health problems. The pose section includes over 200 poses I can't wait to try some of these! A must read for anyone into fitness, yoga, meditation, or just plain old relaxation :)
Jayme
May 29, 2012 Jayme rated it did not like it
There are so many great yoga books out there, filled with postures, sequences and guidelines for yoga practice - find them! Don't get sucked in by the sleek celebrity glossiness of this one. I read a review copy and chose not to review it because I was so underwhelmed, I didn't feel that I could possible be fair about it.
Manya
Apr 01, 2012 Manya rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Good reference book for the basic asanas (poses), pranayama (breathing) and meditation techniques to practice at home, and which asanas sequences to apply for various results (getting slim, getting calm, getting sexy).

I was pleasantly surprised when Stiles' suggestions in a routine to help allergies actually made my symptoms disappear literally overnight! I independently asked my Indian yoga teacher to suggest a technique for allergies, and she too recommended the bellows breathing technique wh
Sundry
Jan 04, 2011 Sundry rated it really liked it
Yes, I've finished reading this book, but I haven't finished using it. When I decided to start practicing yoga at home as well as doing my usual 1-2 hour-long classes, I asked the instructor how to go about it. She suggested finding a book that illustrates a lot of poses. This book certainly does that!

I think it's especially good if you've had some experience with yoga because a book can't really show you how to transition from one pose to another.

The issue-specific sets of poses are meant to b
Amy Hopkins
Feb 05, 2013 Amy Hopkins rated it it was amazing
As Tara is my all time favourite yoga instructor from the cyber world, I had high hopes about this book. It didn't disappoint. Tara Stiles has such an amazing presence and I could feel this just through reading the book.

I already practice yoga moderately frequently, but since I have been training for a half marathon, it has become less of a priority. Therefore, I planned on getting back on the bandwagon to improve my strength and flexibility after race day...so I bought the book to start me off
sara frances
when i first looked through this book, i LOVED it. so much that i was actually considering buying, which means a lot because i NEVER buy books. but then when i actually tried to do some of these workouts and my enthusiasm for this book dropped quite a bit. this shit is HARD. the workout to help ease hangovers involves standing on your head. really? i feel like ass and i think i'm still a bit drunk and you want me to stand on my head?!

another thing that bugs me about this book is some of the wor
Melissa Fish
Dec 13, 2011 Melissa Fish rated it it was amazing
I hate(d) yoga, but there's too much science out there telling me that I should do it for me to fight it any longer. I've tried DVDs, and found that I never could get past the irritating host/hostess. This book talks about yoga very realistically and conversationally, and I fully intend to buy my own copy after I return it to the library. The instructions are clear, with excellent pointers and photographs. The workouts are HARD. This isn't for the totally out of shape person who wants a quick fi ...more
Bonnie
Apr 19, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it is so easy to follow along with. Her instructions are clear and the pictures are informative and helpful (this girl has some amazing flexibility!). I think it's probably ideal for a yoga beginner or novice. I do yoga sometimes with the help of a few DVDs I have at home, but this taught me so much more and had me trying poses I hadn't yet seen and/or ever thought I could attempt on my own. The back section of the book is full of routines mixing up all of the poses she ...more
Feb 01, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, yoga
I think I'll get some use out of the book's various sequences designed for different purposes. I wish the book had less focus on being thin, looking younger, gorgeous, etc. But the information about the poses is useful and I like the way she breaks down how to achieve some more difficult poses in baby steps, particularly the inversions.

ETA: I just went to her YouTube channel to look for a bedtime routine and she has seven videos uploaded which are interviews with AYN RAND. Aaaagggghh! I do not w
Stephanie
Dec 19, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I love you, tara stiles.

after practicing most of the contents of this book and following and practicing along with many of her videos, I'm sold. my body feels incredible! it's been doing a lot of good things for me.

I didn't have very much trouble with this at all, but I was surprised at how truly tough some of this shit can be. I was also surprised at how I was able to balance on my hands in weird positions and pull my limbs and place them in all sorts of interesting positions. it probably helps
Brandi
Aug 26, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it
This is a great book with a lot of sequences in the back for home practice. Some of the descriptions for getting in and out of particular poses could be more thorough, but the photos accompanying each pose are terrific and the sequences provided offer a lot of ideas for creating your own vinyasa flows at home. I think the title is a little unfortunate because I think it keeps men from wanting to read it; the information would benefit everyone. An attractive book that offers endless possibilities ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

Although there are a lot of yoga poses throughout this book, I don't think the actual sequence on how to do them is explained well enough. As a yoga practioner since I was a kid I find it may be a bit difficult to understand for people who don't know.

The workouts she suggests are good for the everyday practioner, but I think a guidance for beginners would be good to have.

Another point that I would've liked to see developed at least a bit is food guidelines, and also a bit more on pranay
Ashley
Jul 06, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is the BEST yoga book I've ever read. There's no names of poses I can't pronounce, just simple descriptions or the English translation of the asana. There are clear pictures (in color!) and directions, lots of great 15-minute routines so you don't get bored, a variety of goals (slim, calm, sexy, general health), and science to back up many of the claims. I may actually have to buy this one.
Kate
Oct 28, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
The book talks about different ways that yoga can make you happier and healthier - it addresses stress, insomnia,aches and pains, relaxation, anxiety, weight loss, toning, skin, etc. For each situation Tara Stiles has included a sequence of moves - about 8 - to do. I also really like that the book includes "Intervention" stories throughout it, which highlight a person who had a change in their life because of yoga.
Lori
Jul 13, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Big fan of Tara's!! As someone who regularly practices yoga, in the studio locally, thru Tara's videos online or practice on my own, I find this book a great reference for any yogi, whether you are a newbie or a seasoned yogi, the photos are beautiful photos and the book is packed with some great information to keep healthy and stay motivated.
I completely disagree with all the negative vampires out there against Tara.
Rebecca
Jan 02, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A good intro to yoga. Easy to follow instructions and combos, most of which only take 10-15 minutes of your day. Tara Stiles gives you the body benefits of the moves--she's not a spiritualist, so meditation is what *you* make of it. She'll teach you the breathing too, which she tells you (as would any yoga guru) is integral to getting the full effects.
Colleen
Dec 05, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book! Such a great reference book, I flip through it constantly to be inspired to create my own yoga sequences (or pick ones that are set up as sequences already). Great info on what poses will help you with certain issues. Love the simple format and easy to read/look at while you're in the midst of yoga. Hooray for Tara Stiles!
Teacatweaves
Jan 23, 2011 Teacatweaves rated it it was amazing
The best part of this book is that it guides you to build up each pose, and then pull them together in sequences for specific issues. Being able to change-up a routine is really important to keep interested in an exercise program, and this book does this for yoga. I just wish it was in a ring binder format - foresee a broken book spin as I make it through the actual doing!
Andrea
May 17, 2016 Andrea rated it it was ok
Quite disappointed with this. There are some much better books out there on yoga. For inspiration and quick reference Tara Fraser's are great and for a real in depth tome you can't beat Erich Schiffmann's book.
Josie
Jun 18, 2013 Josie rated it it was amazing
I have had a consistent yoga practice for several years, and I find this book very helpful in terms of breaking down postures. Lots of pictures to help you visualize the poses, and helpful for beginners and others looking to further develop their practice.
Maureen Barnes
Oct 15, 2014 Maureen Barnes rated it it was amazing
Lisa Hazen
Aug 05, 2012 Lisa Hazen rated it really liked it
The title is a little cringe-inducing. But there was some GREAT stuff in this book that I will return to again and again as I teach. I love Tara's down-to-earth approach and practical solutions to everyday problems.
Liz DeMarco
Jul 17, 2012 Liz DeMarco rated it it was amazing
Not really finished with this, though I read all the way though twice. I am using the routines in this book daily....loving it!
Chrissie
Oct 26, 2011 Chrissie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, health
I skimmed certain parts of this book and found some material repetitive and not useful for my own personal practice, but overall some good photos/instruction and information on the benefits of yoga.
Michelle
May 11, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet-exercise
Wow. This really terrific and helpful book is really going to make a difference in my practice, I think. Am really looking forward to getting started!
To Health And Fitness 1 1 Sep 25, 2014 12:35AM
Having difficulties To Keep Up Proper 1 1 Sep 18, 2014 09:45PM
Methods To Become Slim Very Quickly And With Excellent Final Results 1 2 Apr 30, 2014 10:17PM
  • Yoga Body Diet
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
  • Pilates
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Yoga: The Essential Guide to Complete Mind/Body Fitness
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • Yogalosophy: 28 Days to the Ultimate Mind-Body Makeover
  • Primal Blueprint Healthy Sauces Dressings and Toppings
  • A Year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practices to Shape Your Life
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • 500 Paleo Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes for Weight Loss and Super Health
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way