Start by marking “Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights

Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  550 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Encyclopedia of the Exquisite is a lifestyle guide for the Francophile and the Anglomaniac, the gourmet and the style maven, the armchair traveler and the art lover. It’s an homage to the esoteric world of glamour that doesn’t require much spending but makes us feel rich.
Taking a cue from the exotic encyclopedias of the sixteenth century, which brimmed with mysterious arti
Published November 2nd 2010 by Nan A. Talese (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of the Exquisite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of the Exquisite

Wendy Darling
This is what you might call a "fancy side table" book. Not a big book full of photographs that would be displayed boldly out in the open like a coffee table book, but one that you might discreetly tuck into a corner where it might be glimpsed and discovered by passers-by. It essentially serves the same purpose, however, to give casual acquaintances the idea that you have some modicum of style or curiosity about the world around you.

The book is smallish in size, has a beautiful cover, and is nic
Becky R.
May 19, 2011 Becky R. rated it really liked it
I couldn't help myself when I saw this pretty book sitting on the "New Arrivals" shelf at my local library. When I flipped it open, it had the coolest entries about things like milk baths, the trapeze, the omelet, badminton, and more, all with their history and context. The history isn't intense, but it is a nice overview of how things have evolved. In a sense, it's a cultural encyclopedia of random facts that might pop up in a British or French novel. For instance, the entry on red lipstick was ...more
Annie Pliego
Apr 15, 2012 Annie Pliego rated it it was amazing
A simply fantastic and fun book.
"The perfect omelet is an exacting work of simplicity: delicate, but not puffy; golden, but not burned; firm enough to fold, but not so stiff it breaks; creamy, but cooked through. Ancient Romans ate omelets."
Keata138
May 23, 2012 Keata138 rated it it was amazing
I feel richer for having read this book. Interesting historical facts - that I never would have come across had it not been for this book - stuck in my mind long after having read about them. It's a very diverse collection. There are stories of people, stories of places, and stories of things (several of which I've managed to grab off of e-bay).

Since it's written as an encyclopedia, it's a nice nightly read before bed allowing one to read a lot or a little. Sections range from half a page to fi
Toni
Oct 22, 2012 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
A veritable cabinet of curiosities. Anecdotes about a wide range of subjects of particular interest to the author, the exotic and the elegant, arranged alphabetically (though I was very surprised and disappointed to find no Z! How could she not include Z??/). Really great fun — a book to read at a leisurely pace, dipping into from time to time. I’ve taken my time with it and will return. I’ve enjoyed reading entries to my husband after dinner (or while he cooks dinner!). Typical entries: champag ...more
Alison
Feb 05, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
An encyclopedia of charming delights, and the folklore and history that accompanies them. Example entries: far niente (languorous idleness), Bartlett pears, pouf hairstyles, red lipstick, saffron.
Rae Ganci Hammers
Jan 25, 2012 Rae Ganci Hammers rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Jessica Kerwin Jenkins' ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE EXQUISITE is a beautifully designed and well-researched book of diversions. Not meant to be read cover-to-cover, but rather, to be thumbed through when one is struck with ennui, boredom, or the occasional spark of curiosity.

Some critics will surely say, "She left out this!" or, "Why in the world would she include that!?" But I think Jenkins has curated a delightful assortment of historical anecdotes and trivia that span the globe and reach as far back
Nomad
Feb 07, 2013 Nomad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I recieved many miscellany books such as this recently and can't really figure out where to put them on my shelves, so for the time being... we're going to call them history. Whimsical history yes, but history nevertheless.

Alright, so this was an absolute treat. I honestly believe that it is impossible to be in a bad mood when you put this book down. It's that infectious and happy a kind of a book. Recently I started reading romance genre books a bit and it lead me to these sorts of books. The w
Ann
Dec 30, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Alli gave me this delightful book for Christmas, and I have greatly enjoyed it. The authoress subtitles this book "An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights" and points out that "exquisite" comes from the Latin verb exquirere, to search out, or to seek, or as the OED explains it, "It means uncommon delicacies, carefully selected, and the kind of beauty that can excite intense delight or admiration." Basically this is a trivia book but a very interesting and well-researched trivia book.

The subject
Violet
Aug 11, 2012 Violet rated it it was amazing
If you love fun, bizarre historical facts, this is the book for you. It has brief entries about things throughout history that were created for beauty's sake. Some are small things like origami, some are entire buildings or magical gardens. Particularly interesting are the stories about chopines and the art of hot air ballooning. This is a great bedside reader since you can pick it up and read a single entry without a big investment in time. A most enjoyable read!
Treasure
Dec 26, 2011 Treasure rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grown-up-books
An excellent gift book, this reference guide covers the history and use of lovely things, such as champagne, bubble baths, red lipstick, and badminton, with fun anecdotes and occasionally salacious details. Easy to pick up and put down, flip through, or settle into, this is ideal for a secret santa, coworker, or gift for a woman (or sensitive man) when you have no idea what to get them. Must be read under a cozy blanket with a cup of tea.
Bronwyn
Jun 03, 2011 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
This was a treasure trove of wonderful things, ranging from the well-known to the obscure. Some entries, such as the essays corresponding to 'Tempest' and 'Solteties' left me breathless with delight and aching to learn more.

I greatly enjoyed the read and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in history.
Annie
Sep 16, 2011 Annie rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! A wonderful, inspiring, elegantly-written little tome of information. I loved that I could read a few chapters, put it down, and then pick it up again to be inspired anew by something I'd never heard of before.

I am definitely keeping this as a reference book, and also giving it to friends!
Tabor
Jul 20, 2015 Tabor added it
Whimsical and a delightful anecdotal encyclopedia. This book is ideal for anyone seeking a brief introductory to the pleasurable/finer things in life, which have been enjoyed throughout history.

I was particularly fond of how the author focused on a handful of instances to illustrate the delight and often the most outlandish. The only issue with this approach is the delight could seem insignificant. Such was the case of love letters, where Catherine the Great was used as the sole example. For th
SixBeforeLunch
The perfect book to accompany a cup of tea and a cozy chair. The format makes it easy to dip in and out of, but I ended up reading it more or less all the way through in order because each entry is so interesting that you just want to keep reading.
Donna
May 21, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating book. When I picked it up, I equated "exquisite" with "beautiful." It's that and so much more. Each entry is packed full of interesting facts and for me, anyway, it explained some of those everyday things that I never knew where they originated. The word "hello," for instance, has quite a history and the quadrille naturaliste, a wild, uninhibited, scandalous (and very popular) dance morphed into the can can. Did you know Thomas Jefferson coined the term pell mell to differ ...more
Rebecca
Thanks to Alison for mentioning this at book club -- it's lovely. Subtitled "An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights," the author's introduction talks about her years writing for a slick magazine.

"While those years taught me to recognize beauty of all kinds, to respect it, and to allow myself the time to ponder the exquisite, by contrast, this book is an ode to life's many luxuries that don't require much spending. It's about how knowing the royal lineage of a common Bartlett pear or the origi
May 29, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
This is a small and charming book with short tidbits about a wide variety of subjects. I especially enjoyed reading about Rosarians , aero station, and velocity. The cover illustrations as well as the illustrations are quite fun. I would consider this as light reading as opposed to my favorite book, Napoleon's Buttons on the subjects of science and history.
Christina
Oct 01, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok
The cover is pretty to look at , but the book isn't exactly what I expected. I may browse through it occasionally in the future, but for now after one quick read through, it will just decorate my bookshelf.
Donna
Mar 18, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
A nice idea of a book. Best read leisurely, pick it up, read a few items and put it down. I wish it had more illustrations. I found myself running to the computer to check some things out.
Sandra Harvey
May 23, 2014 Sandra Harvey rated it it was amazing
Engrossing. full of delicacies and tidbits. The fan, the mask, fireworks, pears.
D.L.
Oct 16, 2015 D.L. rated it really liked it
Jenkins books are total "keepers". Full of all the little curiosities that lead you to making your own thaumatropes in the middle of the night, keeping pillowbooks and listening with careful appreciation to the seasonal fading of cricket chirps.
Anastasia Elliot
Jun 02, 2015 Anastasia Elliot rated it it was amazing
Such a creative and inspiring book
Kate Mereand-Sinha
Apr 13, 2014 Kate Mereand-Sinha rated it really liked it
A lovely coffee table book.
Liz
Jun 03, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
I'm really into words and learning the provenance and history behind a lot of our common (and not-so-common) vocabulary was really interesting to me. However, I wasn't too keen on the skimming--I want to know more! Give me more in-depth history about these words! It just felt very superficial and the researcher I. Me was not satisfied by all the explanations.

Also, there are no Zs. The rest of the alphabet is present (ending with a single Y), so why not Z? I dunno, but that really bothered me.
Dina
Feb 09, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
A fascinating potpourri of tidbits about the things that make the author like it here on earth. The entries vary in topic from the frivolous to more serious matters, but all are well presented with plenty of interesting facts to consider. I especially enjoyed reading about the music of crickets, the development and use of fireworks, and the origin of the word "hello." Fun to browse and dip into the entries of most interest to you.
Rebecca Huston
Mar 12, 2011 Rebecca Huston rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's hard to define this book beyond that it's a collection of things. And nonfiction, mostly. Very light, rather fluffy, but fun to read through; it's the sort of book to dip into now and then, rather than just read through in a sitting or two.

For the longer review, please go here:
Bobbi
May 17, 2013 Bobbi rated it liked it
Like most personal compilations of encyclopedias this has it's moments of good and bad.
The entry on white paint, for instance, isn't so much on white paint as it's on the interior decorator who stripped away Victorian chintz for our more modern decorating is pretty good sample of what the book is about.

This made a great bathroom book. It took a while, but it was fun to dip into the short entries every so often.
Denise
Jan 26, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am very fond of "cabinet of curiosities" style books, of which this is one, but I feel though this book is in some very desperate need of pictures. I found myself time and time again having to go to Wikipedia to see things that had been described to me, which was annoying.

However, the extensive bibliography at the end is a refreshing inclusion in a non-academic book such as this, and much appreciated.
Jessie
Sep 25, 2012 Jessie rated it it was ok
This is a great "coffee table" read but I scored it low due to lack of photos for entries that would have benefited from it. For example, the book has an entry about the infamous beauty of Countess de Castiglione and talks about several portraits so I had to stop reading and google her (for the record, she's beautiful). Since some entries got illustrations, I would have preferred more of them in the book.
What did I miss? 2 12 Sep 22, 2013 11:01PM
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • Perfumes: The Guide
  • Dreaming of Dior: Every Dress Tells a Story
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • The Intimate Sex Lives of Famous People
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • How Does Aspirin Find a Headache? : An Imponderables' Book
  • Counterknowledge
Jessica Kerwin Jenkins began her career in New York writing for Women's Wear Daily and for W magazine, later moving to Paris, where she was W's European editor. She lived in Montmartre, but assignments took her all over Europe, and beyond, from Madrid to Copenhagen to Athens to Venice to Ibiza to Tallin, visiting villas, palazzos, chateaux, and haciendas. She once dined in the Tower of London and ...more
More about Jessica Kerwin Jenkins...

“As Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) pointed out, twilight 'is not without loveliness, though perhaps its chief use is to illustrate quotations from the poets.' Then again, maybe poetry's chief use is to inspire us to watch the sun go down.” 0 likes
“After they became a couple, they collaborated on deliriously optimistic projects, from their famous bed-ins to the creation of a conceptual country called Nutopia. The skeptics were incensed, and the duo withstood all the criticism slung at prominent optimists of the past, though it hardly slowed them down. 'Some critic recently commented on us, John and I, as being lollipop artists who are preoccupied with blowing soap-bubbles forever,' Ono wrote. 'I thought that was beautiful.” 0 likes