The Healing Quilt

The Healing Quilt

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  41 reviews
After her Aunt Teza’s test results turn out to be inconclusive, Dot Cooper resolves to raise money for a new mammogram machine, through the creation and auction of a magnificent, king-sized quilt to be sewn by the women of Jefferson City.

Dot’s efforts quickly draw the support of disparate members of the community, including newcomer Beth Donnelly, married to a local pasto...more
Published February 19th 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published July 16th 2002)

Marla
A very good read. It's always interesting the way God weaves the very different lives of women into His beautiful tapestry.
Carol
Wonderful book. This is the second time I read it because I thought the message was so great. A group of women get together to make a quilt to earm money for a new mammogram machine, little did they know what would how while they made the quilt. " With hearts rent by loss, they mend therm lives one stitch at a time" is a quote on the cover of the book and that is exactly what happens as they make the quilt. Each of the women involved needs to be healed and put their trust in God and through thei...more
Victoria Grusing
Book is about four women who share their relationships with good through a group knitting to improve cancer care in their community.
Heather
I found the writing style a little disjointed to start with, and the constant references to God and healing get a bit much, which is why I have given this 4 stars not 5.

However, I like the characters, Kit, Teza, Beth, Elaine and their own personal stories. You want them to have a 'happy ending' each. I like the Quilt description too and the reason for making the Quilt. A good read in all, and I would probably read it again.
MariAn Nyce
The community hospital's mammogram machine is antiquated and due to finances, they will not update--so the women of the community led by the Auxilary President (surgeons wife) decide to begin a fundraising campaign via a quilt. The healing happens as they share intimately and hold each other up, thereby each finds some measure of wholeness. Even tho' I am basically not a novel reader, I did enjoy this read.

Lou Alice
I have just finished reading this book from my local library. It is filled with faith, humor, and pathos. It covers the gamut from healing from grief, dealing with cancer, forgiveness and the lack thereof, and what people can do when there is a need and the cooperation of varied individuals sharing and combining their talents. This is my first book to read by this author, but it will not be my last.
Glenda
If you like the stories in Reader's Digest, or find yourself always watching movies on the Hallmark Channel, then this is a book you would enjoy. This book did help me understand what it is I don't like about this style of writing. It reads like the junior high student who was told to put in more adjectives and adverbs. They didn't add to the story, just cluttered the reading.
Maryann
I need to get this one read for book club next week. Excellent book, a group of ladies, some knew each other before, others new, come together to make a quilt to raise money for a new mamogram machine. Each has some sort of struggle or hurt at home, several that haven't shared it with anyone. I highly recommend this.
Leedra
Lauraine Snelling is one of my favorite authors, but this book is so different than her other books. Admittedly, it is a story that 'needed' to be told. I actually put the book down after reading about 1/3 of the book. The characters jumped around too much for me. I had a hard time keeping up with who was who.
Lori
The book was a great read with several main characters with good stories of their own. I liked the plot and the big dreams of the town ladies. I didn't care for how it ended...it was like the author got tired and wrapped it up quickly. She could've taken a few more pages a flushed out the stories left undone.
Donna
I read this long ago but remember that the characters really touched me. It is about a woman with cancer and is not a super light read but well worth the time. I loved the spiritual side of the story and the relationship between the woman made me very grateful to have good friends in my life as well.
Cassandra
A warm, weekend read. I used to read Snelling's YA books about a girl and her horses. This book dealt with another favorite topic of mine - quilting. Reading about all of these woman hand quilting a king sized quilt made me want to learn how to hand quilt. Not sure I'm up for the challenge yet!
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I loved this book even though I entered the book and picked out some things that I didn't like... such as the set up: several women acting as the main character(s) and some aspects of Mrs. Snelling's writing but by the end of the book I had grown to love it.
Diane
Excellent Human Emotion and family. A relationship between a mother,daughter, aunt...and friends. A question of faith, love, and the path we choose to walk each day. NOT preachy...but an enduring message for HOPE.
I have read this book more than once and bought copies for my friends.
Enjoy!
Betty
An excellent portrayal of hearts in need of healing and how 'united' and focused on The Quilt project to raise funds for a mammography machine, hearts are restored, healed, released, repentant, forgiven and so much more...trust is established..."trust is forgiveness in walking shoes".
Becky
A beautiful story about healing (physical and emotional), forgiveness and friendship. Several women join together in their community to make a quilt to benefit breast cancer research. While in the process of quilting, they learn more about each other and themselves.
B.J.
This was a GREAT book with characters that I could identify with. I loved the way each character's storyline entertwined with the others to create the overall theme of the story.
Brenda Sprague
I love anything related to quilts but what I liked the most about this book was how coming together to make a quilt helped/healed the quilters and then healing came from God!
Tonia
Wholesome, redundant, predictable story. The setting was inviting (group of women getting together to make a quilt, canning, gardening, friendships). Story about breast cancer.
Kori
This was a good book about healing from devastating events, including cancer. I loved the fact that there was a strong spiritual emphasis in this one, and it wasn't too cheesy.
Laurene
Great book and good message.
Terri
I enjoyed this book. I thought it was very meaningful. I was kind of bugged that Kit's ending was not explored enough for me. I wanted more from her and Mark.
Patricia
This book was total escapism after trying to read Salvage the Bones. A little trite and predictable but enjoyed it immensely. Little preachy but it was tolerable.
Taatje
The story itself was good but as a non religious person that aspect was very heavy. I agree with many others that the author dropped the ball with the ending.
Ratforce
You might enjoy Lauraine Snelling’s The Healing Quilt , which tells a story about a woman who uses quilting to support a loved one, and to build a community.
Michelle
This book was okay. Lots of great messages and strong female characters, however, I found myself able to put the book down eaily.
Donna
Touching story of intertwined lives and the things women deal with in different ways and ultimately together in a bond of sisterhood.
Peggy
Groups of women make a beautiful quitl to raffle off for the new mammogram machine. The story delves into each of the women's lives.
Leslie
I liked this book; but I was a little disappointed in the ending. I felt like it left me hanging with a couple of the characters.
Judy
I needed this book. Donna shared it with me, knowing I needed healing.
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • What She Left for Me
  • Fields of Grace (Heart of the Prairie #4)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Bachelor's Puzzle (Patchwork Circle #1)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • Seeing Things
  • Reckless Heart
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4)
  • Need You Now
  • Stepping Into Sunlight
  • A Matter of Character (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #3)
  • Jacob's Daughter (Jacob's Daughter #1)
  • A Single Thread (Cobbled Quilt #1)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra...more
More about Lauraine Snelling...
Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1) Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2) An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1) A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1) Amethyst (Dakotah Treasures, #4)