Start by marking “The Lost Gardens: An English Garden Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Lost Gardens: An English Garden Mystery

The Lost Gardens: An English Garden Mystery (English Garden Mystery #2)

Hidden within the derelict gardens of abandoned Wickersham Priory, a deadly secret is waiting. But when an unsuspecting young Californian named Jamie Gibson finds herself the new owner of the estate, through a surprise bequest from a total stranger---the secret begins to stir.
Jamie, fired with enthusiasm to restore the gardens to their 1930s glory, seeks the help of Lawre
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Gardens

Rene Natan
Apr 06, 2014 Rene Natan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of The Lost Gardens by Anthony Eglin, St. Martin’s Paperbacks, 2005

The Lost Gardens is an interesting book, reminiscent of the horrors of World War II even if set in modern times. It starts a bit slow with plenty of botanic details and the description of some famous gardens but the pace picks up as the story unfolds. Lawrence Kingston, a retired professor of botany, and Jamie Gibson, the new owner of a once-upon-the-time renowned garden team up to bring new life to the run-down estate. Th
Kimberly Ann
Although I liked the mystery itself and I found bits of garden information interesting...

The gardening information as a whole was TMI, in fact WTMI! There was so much exacting detail that I had to skip a goodly amount of the writing.

I did like the referrals to actual famous gardens in both the U.S. & England, and I looked those up on Google Images....that was a treat.

But, unless you are an active horticulturist this might be a bit heavy reading.

PLOT: Jamie (an American vintner) inherits a la
This is one of those books that, while I enjoyed it, it took a while to read because it was very detailed. There's a lot going on in this book, the restoration of the gardens and buildings as well the curiosity around how the estate came to belong to Jamie. After all, it's a bequest from a stranger. To help her is a retired professor who not only helps with the restoration but also digs into the mystery of the bequest. Murder happens. And then things start to take off.
I had not read the first in
Jan 25, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted jamie to continue in his future books !!! I love this series and wish he would write faster !
Irene B.
A friend recommended this book due to the references to plants and gardens. I'm giving it three stars, because I learned some things about English gardens and a couple of great tips for growing plants. I am one of those people who enjoys hearing the names of the plants. The story itself is maybe a two star: The plot had potential--however, the author's timing and development need some work. One keeps wanting to say over and over "hire a security agency" or "call the police NOW". When the charact ...more
Barbara
Aug 06, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyed this book, even though I am no gardener. I enjoy gardens aesthetically, but have no interest in immersing myself in the soil.

The hero, a retired college professor, Lawrence Kingston, has been hired to help a young American women restore the gardens of an estate she inherited in England. The professor, who admits to being overly interested in other's people's business, becomes consumed with trying to figure out why Jamie, the young American, has inherited an estate from some one she didn
Kate
Oct 12, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
When California winemaker Jamie Gibson inherits Wickersham Priory, she moves to England to cultivate a new life on the massive 200-acre estate. But the once-grand gardens are now in disrepair, their overgrowth obscuring pathways and erasing buildings. Jamie vows to restore the gardens in honor of her benefactor, who happens to be a complete stranger.

She hires Lawrence Kingston, a retired professor of botany, to reproduce the gardens from their heyday. Unable to tame his curiosity, Lawrence begin
Brandie
Elgin's second garden mystery does not disappoint. And once again we get to follow Lawrence Kingston on another garden adventure! I believe I might even like this one better than the first - love the bit of history and architecture thrown in!

Kingston is hired to help Jamie Gibson restore the gardens on the estate she has just inherited. Gibson comes from California and has no idea why she was left the estate over in England. But she does not hesitate to pack up and relocate and even undertakes b
Carol  Scott
Engaging characters, interesting plot and setting-- but supposedly intelligent characters keep doing incredibly stupid things, or not asking the obvious questions. How frustrating! I might try one more Eglin book just to see if it's a pattern.
Loupie
Sep 12, 2011 Loupie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
The book's debt to the lost gardens of Heligan are acknowledged by the author, and the gardening detail is interesting of you love gardens - lots of names of plants; talking about the different gardens within the overall plan including vegetable, formal, rose, pleached lime walk and espaliered fruit trees; discussing the mechanics of the gravity driven irrigation system; and a mini-lesson on wine growing. For me, it was too much detail - I felt like I was being lectured while being strung along ...more
Rachel
Aug 23, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and well-spun mystery, with the added bonus of being filled to the brim with gardening!
I loved it!
Cathy Hardy
Overall good for a mystery book. I will go back and read the first one - The Blue Rose. The author has way too many references to specific plants for my taste. Unless you know plants it really doesn't mean anything to list all the types of plants you plan to add to the garden. That said, I have friends who would understand and no doubt love this aspect of the book. I liked the descriptions of the gardens, the mini lesson in English garden history, and even the mini-lesson in wine growing. If the ...more
Jean
good mystery. Would have appreciated more info about gardens.
Cshifflett
Nov 19, 2014 Cshifflett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery story without all the violent stuff. Loved the gardening theme tieing the story together
Suzanne
interesting mystery
Lynn
Okay, this is the fourth Eglin book I've read, and it is my favorite thus far. I love the way he blends the historical and horticultural details into this absorbing mystery. The action scenes were effective and realistic, and we see a different, more passionate side of Lawrence than in the other three books I've read. Maybe Lawrence will fall in love...who knows? He is quite intellectual, yet common sense and practical...Eglin is definitely one of my all-time favorite authors!
Julie Akeman
Sep 05, 2016 Julie Akeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful mystery trip to the English Countryside. Learned a bit of winery know how too if you dig that kind of stuff (I'm a fan of the movie Bottle Shock) Wine, overgrown gardens and why on earth did an American woman inherit an English estate that she has no relative ties to. This is the second book in the series so be sure to read the first one The Blue Rose, that was a great one to read.
Shonna Froebel
Jan 19, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Quite good, with twists and turns and lots of garden information without getting boring.
Kylie
An American wine maker, Jamie, suddenly inherits a mansion on acres of country side in England. At one time, this land housed vast and orderly gardens of all types. Though, after years without gardeners tending them, they have overgrown into a jungle. Jamie wants to restore these gardens to their former glory and unearth the mystery of who her benefactor was.
Brandi
I liked The Blue Rose, the first in Eglin's "English Garden" mystery series, and its horticultural bent. The new main character, previously just an expert side character, Professor Lawrence Kingston is an erudite connoisseur who is too much like an "author avatar" for my tastes. Still, I liked the book and continued on in the series.
 Barb Bailey
I bought this book at the library book sale. I was drawn to the beautiful cover. The story is a mystery set in England and about historical gardens. It was an easy read and enjoyable. I liked the characters and learned a lot about gardening , especially about roses. This book for me was a pleasant way to spent and cold snowy weekend.
Liz Newell
I'm giving this two stars because it has a good plot (twisting) and really Interesting information about wine and gardens. Other than that, however, it was one of the most poorly written books I've read in a long time. I think Elgin has potential, and a lot if it. But he definitely needs to work on his narrative style.
Mo
I made it to page 207, then slammed the book shut and somehow managed to keep from throwing it across the room (although I wanted to)! Stupid, stupid, STUPID characters.

It's a shame really, because the author writes in a very readable style. But there is NO WAY that anyone could possibly be as obtuse as these characters.
Diane
Nov 14, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about gravity fed irrigation systems and some interewsting history about English manor houses and their garden plans. I was prompted to Google many of the gardns mentioned in the book and spent several hours in awe at their beaty and variety of design....oh and the mystery was pretty good too!
Nancy H
Aug 13, 2012 Nancy H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good English cozy mystery that has a gardening theme as well as the mystery. The body in the well at the beginning of the story draws the reader in, and as the mystery deepens, you keep turning pages to find out what happens.
Natalie
May 06, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good mystery book, very well written (I have been reading a lot of fluff and this was a GREAT change!) I liked the characters and the plot development...some great twists. I think I will read more of this author.
Cj
Nov 22, 2015 Cj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved it!
Jackie Viestenz
This book has a lot about plants and gardens in it. If you're interested in those things, I'd recommend it. There is also a mystery surrounding the property and the owner.
Susan
Sep 01, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think this book was very well written. Characters were shallow, plot was weak, but I love gardens and gardening so I did enjoy that aspect of the book.
Kate
Dec 22, 2009 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting from a gardening perspective. Not much to the mystery but I enjoy the easy writing style. Definately an easy Sunday afternoon read.
  • The Weaver and the Factory Maid (Haunted Ballad, #1)
  • Unsigned (A Booklover's Mystery, #5)
  • The Look of Love (Wedding Cake Mystery, #2)
  • On the Edge of the Woods
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12)
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • This Old Homicide (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #2)
  • Fleece Navidad (A Knitting Mystery, # 6)
  • The Alpine Gamble (Emma Lord, #7)
  • The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage
  • Stork Raving Mad (Meg Langslow, #12)
  • The Lacquer Screen
Author of the Arsène Lupin Literary Prize winner THE BLUE ROSE and International Book Awards winner, THE ALCATRAZ ROSE, Anthony Eglin grew up in England and worked in art and advertising before starting The Larkspur Company, which produced a series of best-selling garden videos. Addicted to gardening, his own former pint-sized garden was awarded Garden Design magazine's Golden Trowel Award. Tony i ...more
More about Anthony Eglin...

English Garden Mystery (5 books)
  • The Blue Rose