Shadowfever (Fever, #5)

Shadowfever (Fever #5)

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  51,906 ratings  ·  4,769 reviews
#1NEW YORK TIMESBESTSELLER

“Evil is a completely different creature, Mac. Evil is bad that believes it’sgood.”

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister’s murderer. But after discovering...more
Published January 18th 2011 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadowfever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowfever

Kat Kennedy
Usually when reviewing a book, it's possible to give away a few minor plot points, in order to discuss the theme and intentions of the author, without actually spoiling anything in the book. With Shadowfever, however, pretty much discussing anything is a spoiler.

spoiler
In fact, admitting the existence of the book is actually a spoiler.

I can't even really discuss what characters feature in this story because that, too, would be a spoiler. This review has absolutely no spoilers in the main part. Down bel...more
Tatiana
Sep 22, 2012 Tatiana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any self-respecting Jericho-obsessed Fever fan
NO SPOILERS (I wouldn't do this to you) *But there might be some in comments*

OMG! What an exciting ride it has been! And how satisfying! So much depended on the quality of this last installment and, thank goodness, Moning didn't disappoint. Shadowfever is not one of those series finales that you want to forget ever reading. Quite the opposite. There is a lot to be said about benefits of series' outlining. I strongly believe that a series with no pre-planning has almost no chance of succeeding. W...more
Lyndsey
Basically, every single one of these books makes me want to break into song and dance! They got the UNSEELIE oooooooout!!

Shoulder. Chin. Shoulder, shoulder, shoulder. DOUBLE DREAM HANDS!!!!

There may be minor spoilers in this review. They are mainly just spoilers about the general feeling of the end result, definitely not about any specifics or plot twists. I don't think it's any big spoiler to say that by the end of this book, the Unseelie are mostly wiped out of Dublin. Most people probably ass...more
Marissa
I cannot believe it’s over.
I am still stunned by all the information we were given, all the revelations...It is so much to process.
Yet, I revel in every thought and feeling that assaults my body, and trust me, there are many.
Absolutely Astonishing!
Breathtaking.
Mind bending.
Heart-wrenching.
I was right. I was wrong. I was stupefied.
I want more. I need more.
I must read it again. Slowly. Savoring every bit over and over.
My chest hurts, my brain spins, and all I want to do is hug this book and d...more
Emily May

I read this book back in early March. March. And I left one of those little notes saying that I was going to compile my thoughts and would be back soon to write a review. Well, um, it seems it took me a bit longer than I thought possible to get over everything I experienced with this series. Truth be told, I'm still reeling from it.

Unlike a good few other readers, I didn't nab each book as it came out and it wasn't until around the time that Shadowfever was being released that I actually picked...more
Pamela / SpazP
Elle
Have you got.......... THE FEVER?

KMM's Fever series has been the talk of GR town for the past two months.

My interest was first piqued back in December. I'd been going about my daily business here on GoodReads (by which I mean I was stalking everyone I know), when up pops an update relating to something called a... Barrons? I ignored it.

But then up pops another. And another. AND ANOTHER. This went on for about 90 minutes.

My curiosity got the better of me: WHAT is a Barrons and WHY is everyone ta...more
Mo

Well after that marathon reading session I am exhausted.

Started the first book about a week ago and could not stop. It was intriguing. I loved it and I usually do not read fantasy, paranormal, call it what you will.
”Bloody hell, Ms Lane, you drive me bloody fucking crazy.”

I THOUGHT I’D LOST EVERYTHING.
HOW IGNORANT I WAS.
HE WARNED ME.
I HAD SO MUCH MORE TO LOSE.
I WANT TO DIE.

This review will be mostly visual

Kat Stark

I don't want to go back to the real world, I wanna stay in Fever with Moning forever.

***

It's happening. I'm reading it.

Somehow I have to think of a review idea that will top all the rest. Until then...

Darkfever: Dr. Suess
Bloodfever: Pokemon
Faefever: Twitter
Dreamfever: Video *possible spoilers*

...I'll think of something.

My heart is beating fast just thinking about how this will all end up.

***

This will be an epic review filled with the thing I love most. Candy. Because it is well deserved after fi...more
Katie(babs)
*This is more of an opinion of the Fever series as a whole, but most of my thoughts evolved after reading Shadowfever*

One of the biggest series to hit the Paranormal, Romance, and I guess the Urban Fantasy genre is Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. I’ve enjoyed Karen’s book in the past since they were straight up romance with larger than life heroes (Lusty Scots who reminded me of Jamie from the Outlander series. Och) and the heroines who think they’re lacking in redeeming qualities, but are ad...more
Debra

★★★★★ 5+ EPIC, ONE OF A KIND, MIND-BLOWING STARS.

"Evil is bad that believes it's good."

Exciting, exhilirating, intense, powerful, highly unique, nerve-wracking, unputdownable, emotional and unforgettable.

This series is an absolute must read!

"The good guys and bad guys aren't as easy to tell apart as I used to think they were. You can't look at someone with your eyes and take their measure.
You have to look with the heart."

In this final installment of the intoxicating and mind-boggling Fever-...more
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
I’ve fucking done it. I’ve re-read this series and reviewed all of them in some semblance of a calm and rational manner. But this fucking book…

Where do I go from here? What do I read?!

What is this world we live in? It fucking SUCKS compared to the one I just left!

I haven’t seen my friends or family in a fucking WEEK. But you know what?

Because I want more.

Jericho Barrons.

Jericho. Barrons.

JERICHO. BARRONS.

*flails*

Oh, Mac’s okay too…I guess.

kristina

Finally , we got our answers!

And it was awesome to know the truth.

Mac

The previous book was a total cliffhanger and when this one started I was so curious to read about how she managed to save herself from the beast but instead of that she was babbling .

And then.....

(view spoiler)

In her d...more
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
5 Best/Awesomest Series Stars

Shadows are wonderful things. They hide pain and conceal motives.[...] The good guys and bad guys aren’t as easy to tell apart as I used to think they were. You can’t look at someone with your eyes and take their measure. You have to look with the heart.

description

A book consuming your soul, whispering seductive secrets in your ears. Haunting your days and dreams. A book about strength and wisdom. Yes, it could be the sought after Sinsar Dubh or it could easily be this bloody f...more
Dija
Originally read from January 19 - 22, 2011

*FAVORITE BOOK OF 2011*

"She warms his frost. He cools her fever."

I've been asked many times what my favorite book is, but I don't think I've ever answered that question adequately enough. After reading this book, though, I think I finally have my answer: Shadowfever is the best book I've ever read.

The book starts off exactly where the previous one left off, with Mac stunned after killing the beast. The first 5 or so chapters are heart-wrenching to read...more
valee
Was it everything I wanted it to be? Was I satisfied with the book?

For all of those who know me and have been following my reviews, you know this series is my top fav and an absolute obsession! I have read so many books, specially paranormal and UF! And this is still my fav of them all. I have adored this series since book 1. I'm ashamed to admit I was terrified I wouldn't like this book for several reasons, specially because Barrons could not be much in it.I don't wanna write any spoilers so al...more
Jas
I have an urge to shout "You're killin' me Smalls!!" I also love anyone who understands that reference. In any case, I am extremely excited and impatiently awaiting this book. I wish I had known before hand what kind of crazy a** ending Dreamfever was going to have and then I would have waited to read it--scratch that, I should have waited for the whole series. On the other hand, it is rather interesting to develop my own alternate endings for the series. Does anyone else do this?

Also, I'm temp...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Laura the Highland Hussy
Wow. Epic.

I am going to make this spoiler free so it may be vague and it may not be very insightful. Also, I'll probably come back later on and write a better review so I won't feel bad adding spoilers then. But now, it's just too new for me to spoil it.

Whew. I think that this was a great book. It took me through Mac's highs and lows, it pushed me and pulled me in so many different directions I began to feel like the Sinsar Dubh was this book and it has not only been stalking me, but my friends...more
♥Rachel♥
I must apologize in advance, because you’re about to read mostly gushing and my experience reading this more than a summary of this story.

I’m so thrilled I picked up The Fever series and I’m really sad that this is the last book for Jericho and Mac. Well, at least for several years. The story got better and more addictive with each book. Shadowfever was COMPLETELY addicting. This series was AMAZING and I now see why there are so many devoted fans. I’m one of the obsessed now. This review is for...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
She warms his frost. He cools her fever.

That’s me every time I read the Fever series. Every. Fucking. Time.

Since I got used to giving you a song for each book, I guess I can do another one for Shadowfever as well. What comes in my mind that is perfect for describing Shadowfever is Porcupine Tree’s Sleep Together . I think my reasons are obvious. To the absolute joy of the female gender, Mac and Barrons couldn’t keep their hands off one another in this book. Get a room you guys!

The first time I’...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★★★★/★★★★★

Karen Marie Moning knows how to shock people. Really. I think there were hundred plot twists in this book. Unlike in previous ones. Wow.

Anyway, this whole series up to the fifth book were just awesome. Also, unique. Darkfever was just an intro, and i know why it was so-so to some people. When you look at the whole book, there isn't much going on. The main point happens after the end of the 3rd book - Faefever, which had one hell of a cruel ending. As well as Dreamfeve...more
Kim
WARNING! Very likely to be the cheesiest review of this book ever.

I wanna kiss you in Paris
I wanna hold your hand in Rome
I wanna run naked in a rainstorm
Make love in a train cross-country
You put this in me
So now what, so now what?

For the past two weeks, I was either singing Madonna's Justify My Love or Peggy Lee's Fever. Most of those times I was thinking about Barrons, depending on how playful my mood was at that moment. So yeah, Madonna popped up the most. (told you there would be cheese) The...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Wow...just wow. I agree with the few people that have had to wait to write a review due to "processing." Completely FLOORED here.

*edit* Ready to get into the review after catching some sleep.

I could go the spoiler route and post every single oh...my...god moment that I had a strong reaction to, but I won't. After all, most people like to read reviews BEFORE they read a book.

Did this final installment live up to the hype? Absolutely. Were all of my questions answered? Well...mostly. There were a...more
Regina
What can I say? I loved it. I loved the one year wait for the final installment in the series, I loved the speculation, the anticipation and I loved each and every book. Shadowfever was satisfying in so many ways. KMM answers the crucial questions for her fans, but leaves the ones that do not need to be answered opened. There are some really good twists and turns – some that I did not see speculated at all about. Great great series.

SPOILERS BELOW

What I love love loved about this book.

I loved th...more
Erika  Badass
15 hours of reading, stopping only to take care of the bare essentials for my 4 kids... Does that make me a bad mom, or Karen an awesome author? Well, for me, it was satisfying to read ShadowFever. My head hurts from all the twists and turns and suspense and wonderment. I finished last night around 11pm, then hit the sack.

Master of Red's Ms. Karen Marie Moning, this one's for you!

I'm completely amazed at the brilliance of foreshadowing and red-herring's that Karen writes.

Without spoiling anythi...more
Marina

So now I'm supposed to go on with my life, right?
I honestly woke up this morning and the first thought that popped into my head was "Oh Jesus, I finished the series."

If you're expecting a review, go read the series.
If you haven't read the series, don't worry about it. The day will come when it will nag you so badly that you will cave and your life will never be the same again.

What could I possibly say?
I read all 5 books in 5 days.

You want to be Mac when you grow up. You want to have a friend lik
5 BAZILLION K’VRUCKED STARS!!!!!

I…am…stunned by the brilliance of this book and entire series.

I will never look at a book the same again:

I lost a part of myself to this book/series. I’m Jennifer 5.0 now.

lost in a book.......

I pretty much highlighted this entire book, so I couldn’t begin to choose my faves.

Ms. Moning,

Will you be the leader of our world?

That is, if our world was invaded by Fae and we had to look to you to know how to survive.

You are in a world of writing that no one can touch, and this is pretty much
Penny
It was okay. -ish.

Not trying to be all judge-y but I'm slightly disturbed that no one (besides ME) seems to have issues with this book. I mean, HELLO! IT IS CHALK FULL OF EVERY HEINOUS SIN COMMITTED BY AUTHORS TODAY.

-Super Rape-y, emotionally constipated (sometimes violent) love interest(s). Check.
-PLOT HOLES. Check.
-Plot devices. Check.
-No resolution to certain important things EVEN THOUGH THIS IS THE LAST BOOK IN THE SERIES. Check.
-SET UP FOR ANOTHER SPIN-OFF SERIES. Check.
-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
“One day you do meet a man who kisses you and you can’t breathe around it and you realize you don’t need air. Oxygen is trivial. Desire makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Desire is life. Hunger to see the next sunrise or sunset. To touch the one you love. To try again.”

*******SPOILERS********

What a ride this book was. In a scale from 1 to 5 this book was a 10. The others were awesome, this one was beyond words. UF isn't even my favorite genre and I couldn't get enou...more
Moning Maniacs: Share the songs you think should be part of the Shadowfever & Iced Soundtrack 55 47 Aug 31, 2014 06:33PM
Who would you cast in a Fever Series Movie? 3 57 Apr 25, 2014 11:11AM
Moning Maniacs: Shadowfever (book #5) 1428 795 Apr 14, 2014 09:59PM
Ryodan & Dani, do you think there will be some romance here?!? 132 644 Apr 03, 2014 03:51PM
Barrons 9 112 Feb 16, 2014 06:26AM
Desperately seeking a series like this one... 51 1570 Dec 18, 2013 11:22AM
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3)
  • Escaping Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #3)
  • Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4)
Karen Marie Moning (rhymes with 'awning') is a # 1 New York Times bestselling author of 15 novels, including the RITA award-winning Highlander novels and the internationally bestselling urban fantasy "Fever" series. Her books have been published in nearly 40 languages, and her events draw fans from all over the world.

Moning graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor's degree in Society and...more
More about Karen Marie Moning...
Darkfever (Fever, #1) Dreamfever (Fever, #4) Faefever (Fever, #3) Bloodfever (Fever, #2) Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)

“He pulls me around and kisses me. "You're Mac," he says. "And I'm Jericho. And nothing else matters. Never will. You exist in a place that is beyond all rules for me. Do you understand that?"
I do.
Jericho Barrons just told me he loves me.”
1129 likes
“Some people bring out the worst in you, others bring out the best, and then there are those remarkably rare, addictive ones who just bring out the most. Of everything.
They make you feel so alive that you'd follow them straight into hell, just to keep getting your fix.”
933 likes