Start by marking “The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age” as Want to Read:
The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age

The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Outwardly charming, confident, and successful individuals may in fact be caught in a knot of self-destructive behavior. This book looks at case histories and delineates appropriate treatments for each disorder--offering a real hope for cure.
Published March 1st 1990 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Search For The Real Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search For The Real Self

I would recommend this book for anyone interested in human nature or psychology. It describes where borderline and narcissistic personality disorders come from and the kinds of behaviors they lead to in adults. It is written more for therapists than those seeking self-help, but the writing was clear and made sense to me as a layman. A lot of the ideas are applicable to all people, not just those with personality disorders, so I think just about anyone would find it fascinating.
Not so much a self help as it is a clinical psychology book primarily focus on abandonment depression. Even then, is one that I would recommend to many.
Starts off with how the developement of a child in the first few years can effect them as they get older. The importance of particular behaviors and games that youngster play and how the parent(s) respond to them. The later chapters go into the variations of how the impairment of one's developement can effect them in various aspect of their life
Dr. Stanley
An important book which explains the early childhood antecedents of the borderline (deficient) personality elements which so many suffer from and which inhibit their work and love lives. But these borderline elements (weakness of basic psychological abilities), which are fairly common among psychotherapy patients, differ from a borderline personality disorder which is far more severe and less frequent. I praised this book in the introduction to the 2nd edition of one of my books, Troubled Childr ...more
Bill Taylor
On the face of it, this book looks a bit like a self help book, but is actually much deeper than that. I would say it was primarily aimed at psychology health professionals as it goes on the describe therapies to use for disorder treatments. Nevertheless, I did read the first few chapters and found them hard going but informative.

I could really do with something aimed more at the man in the street.
Very easy read. I love how it's written and his presentation of the pre-egoic personality disorders. He includes many real life examples of people with Narcissistic, Borderline, and Schizoid Personality Disorders. My only wish is that he continued on in describing OCPD, HPD and so on in the same exact way.
Randy Elrod
Excellent book, especially the last chapter about the role of creativity in finding your true self. Contains eye-opening profiles of artists: Sartre, Tom Wolfe and Munch.
This book changed my life when I was 12 or 13. I read it again every year or so, to slightly less effect. Still: excellent.
Great professional resource as a deeper discussion about personality disorders and effective treatments.
I read this based on Lynne's recommendation, and found it very worthwhile. Thanks, Lynne!
A good, basic intro to.
Shashank Singh
Shashank Singh is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2015
Peter Whelan
Peter Whelan marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Juan David Duque
Juan David Duque is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2015
Taylor Tracy
Taylor Tracy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Craig marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Rick marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Bigollo marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Glenn Goossens
Glenn Goossens marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Sone marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Jean added it
Jul 25, 2015
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Luz marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Esra Devirgen
Esra Devirgen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions
  • Psychoanalysis And Feminism: A Radical Reassessment Of Freudian Psychoanalysis
  • The Story of Psychology
  • The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • The Future of the Past
  • Twins: And What They Tell Us about Who We Are
  • Simple Heuristics That Make Us Smart
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
  • The Emotionally Absent Mother: A Guide to Self-Healing and Getting the Love You Missed
  • Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes
  • The Cry for Myth
  • The Cloud Collector's Handbook
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
  • Malignant Sadness: The Anatomy of Depression
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
Narcissistic and Borderline Disorders: An Integrated Development Approach A Therapist's Guide to the Personality Disorders: The Masterson Approach: A Handbook and Workbook The Real Self: A Developmental, Self And Object Relations Approach: Structure / Function / Development / Psychopathology / Treatment / Creativity The Emerging Self: A Developmental Self & Object Relations Approach to the Treatment of the Closet Narcissistic Disorder of the Self The Personality Disorders Through the Lens of Attachment Theory and the Neurobiologic Development of the Self: A Clinical Integration